Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya Tavern/Inn Names

Go down 
+8
parameciumkid
AzureJass
TheLightLost
2Ron2R
Razor
brothejr
McKindle
Archmage_Bael
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Empty
PostSubject: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 10:34 pm

I thought it might be fun, if people brainstorm various names for Taverns. Free to describe it's characteristics, too. Where it may be located, the company it'd attract. That's all optional of course, but the fun part is the naming. I'd imagine there'd be quite a few in Negav, Nekomura, Chioita, Kelerm, Fairy Kingdom, etc.

Dancing Dryad
Bearded Naga
Humbled Fairy
Drunken Nun
Raging Warrior Tavern
Golden Hermit
Succubus' Stomach (courtesy of a friend of mine)
The Wet Neko
Fairy's Hearth
Chlaena's Catch Inn
The Naga's Trail - later renamed to "The Slippery Slope"

edit: unsure about placement location. It involves felarya generally, and can be used as ideas to name inns people use in stories, but could also be fun stuff for general amusement.
Back to top Go down
McKindle
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
McKindle

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 2:25 am

Love this idea! Very Happy

The Kensha Beast Arms
The Nexolt in the Drakewillow
The Bugle's Berry
The Blooming Fumac (currently under repair from when a couple of mages tried its signature brew)
Back to top Go down
brothejr
Naga food
brothejr

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 2:57 am

The Deep Gullet
The Bountiful Brassier
The Toothless Predator
Back to top Go down
http://brothejr.deviantart.com/
Razor
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Razor

Location : Mah house at the base of the giant tree. A few Predators are waiting for me outside with pitchforks. Or are they just forks...?

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 3:58 am

Yippee for you... All I can think of are these:

The Adventuring idiot
The Wasted Harpy (Not recommended for Soap mouths.)
Back to top Go down
2Ron2R
Helpless prey
2Ron2R

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 6:31 am

Haughty Sphinx Pub
Heckling Harpy Saloon
Hungry Fairy Inn - This inn has an intricate carving of a fairies face with a circular porthole in the mouth acting as the main door. To either side of the door are oval stained glass windows made to resemble fairy wings.

For some reason all my ideas ended up starting in H. *shrugs*
Back to top Go down
http://2ron2r.deviantart.com/
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 7:00 am

Marauders Located in lowest of Lower Negav's recesses, bordering on the Underground. A few wrong turns down some dark alleys will land you here, at this place where only nastiest of customers can drink without breaking a sweat in fear for their life. If you're not such a customer, you really want to avoid the trouble you'd find there. But then again, if you're wandering the alleys of Lower Negav in the darkness of night you're probably looking for trouble anyways.

I think I'll drop this one in here too...

The Watering Hole

Last edited by Heavenless-star on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 11:25 am

Titan's Mug An "honest" tavern at Negav's middle tier, just a short ways from the main drag. It's largest mug size is the biggest tankard you'll see anywhere in all of Negav, and it's signature drink, "I'll do it". Together, this makes the place very famous, and every so often you'll get someone crazy enough to order "I'll do it Titan size."

The Road Less Swallowed (kidding)

Floating Faggot This is the name of a Restaurant and Tavern. It's rather famous for its quality meals, and expert chef. It's named brutally, but is ironically the most welcoming place. Located in the Middle/Lower Tier border.

Alabaster Flagon This is a famous upper tier Inn and Tavern. Not many rooms are rented out, but a lot of the more wealthy in Negav drop by out of guilty pleasure. It's a ritzy looking inn, using Alabaster in their Flagons, a fine inlayed stone-marble floor, fine furnished wood counters, tables, and chairs. It's drinks are top quality, just like it's meals - and it still manages to make a profit. The inn itself is over two hundred years old.
Back to top Go down
AzureJass
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
AzureJass

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 2:08 pm

Mantoid canticle Inn.

Blue pound Inn

Naughty Harpy Inn
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 9:12 pm

I like the "Dancing Dryad", it's fun to say and doesn't sound contrived.
Here's a few off the top of my head - a few are for some other types of establishments like hotels:
Cookie Jar Hotel (This is in reference to a Felaryan fairy tale I read about how humans were originally made as fancy cookies)
Ever Nights Inn
The Scratching Post (a popular one among nekos... XD )
Vivian's Chest
Poppers Restaurant - "Bring your friends for dinner!"
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 9:40 pm

parameciumkid wrote:

Vivian's Chest

what's that, a stip club? xD

actually this thread could be used for any sort of establishment, too. but then you should stay what it is, inn, hotel, pub, club, etc.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 5:12 am

Oh what a great idea XD
I especially like the Slippery slope and the Deep gullet. They seem strangely appropriate Razz
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 5:41 am

I would like to point out that if this thread is simply for laughs and none of it is to be taken seriously, then these would be appropriate names. If this is meant for world-building, then I am afraid that I see a vast gulf between meta-knowledge and in-universe mentality? What deranged man would name its inn after creatures that have a voracious appetite for humans, or reference what they do to them? Because it's Felarya? I hate to burst a happy bubble here, but being eaten is what humans try to AVOID in Felarya, because it's such a leading cause of death. In fact, I'm pretty sure that sane people would shun inns with names like that, causing its business to tank within nanoseconds. Plus, from an out-of-universe perspective, these names are all predictable, follow the same pattern, and lack all originality.

Quote :
Vivian's Chest

Never mind that Vivian sex jokes are sickeningly overused and trite, but how many people within Negav would have knowledge of her? Crisis makes sense, as her territory is relatively close, and is notorious for going out of her way to catch humans and nekos. Vivian stays in spot all day and is very far away considering the scale the world is supposed to be. Again, if this isn't a serious thread, then name these inns all you want, but if it is, then none of these names, except for Heavenless-star's even begin to make sense.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
brothejr
Naga food
brothejr

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 am

So anyway... Back to this threads topic:

*The Dancing Fairy
*The Sheltering Dryad
*Mermaids Tale
Back to top Go down
http://brothejr.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 9:04 am

The Polished Noghdong

Either inside the shell of a Noghdong, a Noghdong-shell cantina part of a larger building, or a small Tavern / Inn built onto the back of a large Noghdong.

Genie's Bottle

A stylized Tavern / Inn with an "Arabian Nights" feel. Exquisite magic-draining wards are built into the walls, making the Genie's Bottle one of the longest-standing establishments on Felarya to avoid Pyromancy-related incidents. It is rumored that its owner built the Bottle to catch a gargantuan Genie who stole their heart.

The Model Saurotauran

A generally unremarkable Inn, barring the fact that its co-founder is a surprisingly educated Saurotauran. While many avoid the Model because of this, those who visit speak highly of the security provided - so much so that it's claimed there's more than one Saurotauran working the Inn. Other rumors include claims that the Saurotauran's just wearing a costume, they're some sort of exile, or - most farfetched - that the Saurotauran captures all customers to give to their Swamp Dryad, using foul magicks to mimic their victims with fellow Saurotaurans.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 am

Shady Knight wrote:
I would like to point out that if this thread is simply for laughs and none of it is to be taken seriously, then these would be appropriate names. If this is meant for world-building[1], then I am afraid that I see a vast gulf between meta-knowledge and in-universe mentality? What deranged man would name its inn after creatures that have a voracious appetite for humans, or reference what they do to them? Because it's Felarya? [2] I hate to burst a happy bubble here, but being eaten is what humans try to AVOID in Felarya, because it's such a leading cause of death. [3] In fact, I'm pretty sure that sane people[4] would shun inns with names like that, causing its business to tank within nanoseconds. Plus, from an out-of-universe perspective, these names are all predictable, follow the same pattern, and lack all originality [5].

If you want to separate the laughs from the world-building [1], just pick the ones that work. If you don't want to, we can call it gallows humor [2], very high demand, illiteracy or bad mouth-to-mouth publicity [3]. You should also remember that a lot of people in the cities have never seen any carnivores weighing more than 2 tons- for all they know, these giant monsters are a publicity stunt to keep 'em coming. Regarding sane people [4], Negavians are actually quite proud of the place they live in and how dangerous it is compared to anywhere else, even though they complain a lot. Actual sane people from offworld can probably tell the name doesn't make the tavern any more dangerous than it would be without its name.

As for the lack of originality [5], these follow the same pattern because the people doing it are still interested in following the pattern, were it not obvious. If you don't like the ones here, make a good one or let be.

Shady Knight wrote:
Never mind that Vivian sex jokes are sickeningly overused and trite [6], but how many people within Negav would have knowledge of her [7]? Crisis makes sense, as her territory is relatively close, and is notorious for going out of her way to catch humans and nekos. Vivian stays in spot all day and is very far away considering the scale the world is supposed to be. Again, if this isn't a serious thread, then name these inns all you want, but if it is, then none of these names, except for Heavenless-star's even begin to make sense [8].

Vivian may have traits beyond being oversexed [6], true that, but remember that there's a rumor about her [7], or rather, two. She's built something of a reputation herself, though I imagine she'd be a lot more obscure than she is to us.

Finally [8] don't start with that 'take a shot every time you see something unoriginal' attitude: it's too early for drinking games. If you think "those" (I counted... one) names were the only ones, then you aren't paying attention, and even that one was a common name for taverns anywhere!

======

Unknown Stars
Wanderer's Reprieve
The Alchemist's Vineyard
Serrakmos
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Keep in mind, that Negav is not the only place with a dense population of people who have at least some semblance of culture and civilization. Chiotia city is friendly with predators, I cant say anything about Kelerm, and Fairies have multiple villages, in the Fairy Kingdom, Crimson Maiden Tribe, and possibly even the fairy pond. There might not be an inn or tavern in the pond though, but in the misty glade, there could be numerous fairy-only taverns.

Oosoon berries have a liquid that begets similar effects of alcohol. Remember that, and they grow in the Misty Glade. A small tavern carved into a tree where fairies can shrink and fly into would probably be pretty popular. Names like "Fairy's Hearth" or "Dancing Dryad" might work there, because Fairies are far more open to the food chain and how Felarya works than humans are.

Not to mention, a dangerous sounding pub would also attract dangerous people.

It's important when naming a pub, inn, tavern, bordello, etc. The name you give it will partially dictate the kind of people that are drawn to it. Naming Taverns in ways such as noun + noun/ posessive + noun/ adjective + noun/ or Noun + adjective is the standard formula for inn naming because that's the way it's been for centuries and centuries. Saying that it's unoriginal because it follows the same pattern is like saying "nagas are boring because they all have snake tails".

----

The Rugged Ronin This is a place outside Negav's walls, an inn at a place where adventurers commonly walk past. It's just far enough out to be inconvenient to the common plebeian, but just close enough for adventurers setting out and returning to get a breath, and forget their worries. Sometimes over a welcoming pot of fortune...(toilet)

The Salty Centaur

The Light of Day Here at the Light of Day you'll feel company is truly valued in those around you. Feel free to indulge yourself in some nice Ale, just be careful who you piss off or drink with, as you might not see the light of day yourself... (A rather rough pub)

Matted Inu A place in Negav's lower tier, run mostly by Inus. It's a common dwelling place during all hours of the day for both Inu and Neko alike. Prejudice humans have been trying to take it down and run it out of business, but has so far been unsuccessful to a rather large degree.
Back to top Go down
McKindle
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
McKindle

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
Plus, from an out-of-universe perspective, these names are all predictable, follow the same pattern, and lack all originality.

Just like... Pub names in real life? XP How many pubs called 'The Royal Oak' do you think there are in Britain?

Beyond the Topazial Sea (themed around offering 'out-of-this-world' fare)
The Floating Field (renamed as such to commemorate when Negav felt its effects)
The Chief Ran (a double entendre based on the under construction historial figure in the wiki)

Think we should also remember The Lit Ciggy bar, which is actually mentioned in the wiki.

Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 2:14 pm

(themed around offering 'out-of-this-world' fare) - so is that "out of this world" in a pink fleshy chamber?

also, is there and actual page for pubs and other visitable places in Negav?
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 11:39 pm

The Matted Inu sounds really... out of place. I can't find anything on the wiki suggesting any abnormal prejudices against Inu (by anyone), the Negav page seems to suggest intense prejudices less against things like Inus and more things like theocratic Xenomorphs, and being on the lower tier (which is where adventurers and merchants gather) having large numbers of prejudiced people congregating sounds like an accident waiting to happen. It doesn't help that half the submission reads almost like "Gorram hyoomanz".
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Really? could have sworn that Inus were among nekos with suffering prejudices. They're a fairly new race to the wiki anyway, so I just assumed things. Ah well.
Back to top Go down
McKindle
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
McKindle

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 12:35 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
(themed around offering 'out-of-this-world' fare) - so is that "out of this world" in a pink fleshy chamber?

also, is there and actual page for pubs and other visitable places in Negav?

Haha, nah, they just pretend to have exotic items from across the sea as a cheap gimmick - serving citroise smoothies dyed green and claiming it's a new type of fruit! Couldn't find a page just for pubs, but I did stumble across references to The Murmur Tavern, The Inn of Heroes and The Drunken Chilotaur in various pages as well.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Really? could have sworn that Inus were among nekos with suffering prejudices. They're a fairly new race to the wiki anyway, so I just assumed things. Ah well.
Wiki doesn't mention any real prejudices towards them. Elves might dislike them, but then the Wiki says they (on average) tend to be disdainful of anyone who either isn't an elf or has short ears (to the point of insulting other Elves with short ears), so having a disproportionate number of Elves be pricks to you is par-the-course.

Nekos also don't have any real mention in the wiki of being prejudiced against. The closest things to prejudice mentioned on the wiki is "Humans tend to consider themselves superior to other creatures." on the human page, and in regard to Elves "They rarely mix with other races, considering them to be inferior (and short-eared), which in turn gives them a reputation as haughty and disdainful stuck-ups." This choice of words leading me to think that the issue isn't that many Humans don't feel Nekos / Inus / whatever are inferior to them, but that as a human they're better for one reason or another. Possibly why humans will still associate with them on average, while Elves tend to be isolationist.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:52 am

There's also the fact that nekos exhibit behavior toward tinies similar to the giant predators toward humans. It does mention that humans sometimes are wary of nekos because they are essentially scaled-down giant predators.

The Wiki wrote:
While nekos living in cities like Negav eat mostly human food, those living in the wild are used to hunt and consume small, living prey, such as small animals or Tinies. Even among urban nekos, many of them still love to indulge in a tiny from time to time. This is a source of unease and sometimes tensions with humans, when the laters realize they are essentially dealing with mini-predators.

Plus, I think the prejudice, whatever small there is, might be more isolated to Negav, at least when it comes to stigma regarding the previous ruling party.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Tavern/Inn Names   Felarya Tavern/Inn Names Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya Tavern/Inn Names
Page 1 of 1