Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Friendly Fauna

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tankmasterxyz
Marauder of the deep jungle
Tankmasterxyz

Friendly Fauna Empty
PostSubject: Friendly Fauna   Friendly Fauna Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 8:31 pm

This is something I've noticed and have been thinking about it for awhile and it may have already been brought up but anyway. I have never noticed any adventurers being said to have pets or mounts in stories. They always seem to be on foot or in vehicals (vehicals seem rare too) although I obviousely haven't read every Felarya story so some may have them. Or probably the writer means for them to be there but just doesn't talk about them, anyway it just seem's more realistic for someone to get from point A to point B on a mount instead of on foot especially in a massive world like felarya that is filled with man eating creatures, or they have all this gear and are on foot and can somehow mangag to cary it all around while running for thier lives so either thier gear can shrink and fit in thier pockets or they are really stong.
Also pets could be very valuable to hunters for both protection and hunting, like how racoon hunters always have dogs with them to both find the racoon and to protect the hunter from the racoon sence they are nasty little critters when they get angry. Either way these are a few friendly fauna ideas that I have been thinking of.

King Mongoose
Threat: Medium
Size: 30 feet in hight
Used as: mount, tracker, protection

Apperance: Long snout, sharp teeth, thick fur able to withstand some attacks, normally brown tan or black in color. long slinder bodies, sharp claws, four legs, two long tails.

King Mongoose's are the prefered pets of Naga hunters. They are both fast and cunning and can easily keep up with a naga in movement. it seem's as though that they have some sort of a deep hatred tword Naga's for some reason and will attack ones that have even been labled as friendly. Even though Naga hunters often have groupes of these creatures a King Mongoose will only fight a naga one on one and will not fight as a group this often angers the hunters but in the end the naga very rarly wins sence even if they beat one they have to fight the others. King Mongoose's will fight other creatures besides naga's it just seem's like they fight best against them.

This next one may get a little complicated.

Borgs
Threat:Minimal to medium
Size: varies
Used as: pet's, protection, other

Apperance: varies

Borg's are probably the most helpful pet's anyone can have in Felarya as they have many perposes. Borg's are highly sought out and wanted by the many people in felarya how ever not everyone can have a Borg as people can not choose a borg a Borg chooses you. No one seem's to know where borgs come from as many attemps have been made to breed them but all have failed, Some people think that tthey are a gift from one of the guardians that is showing kindness to people but this has yet to be proven. Borgs just seem to come out of nowere people often wake up to find them staring at them from the end of thier beds. At first all Borg look the same they are just some little blob with big eye's and are considered cute by alot of people. however they quickly change in apperance and abilities depending on what purpose they decide to serve as such as tracking, mobility, defense, or attacking. Borgs are surprisingly inteligent creatures even able to speak different languages. They seem to have some sort of a link with thier master's often having the same emotions as them such as if thier master is angry so are they and so on.

Borgs tend to show thier emotions threw faceial expressions often showing thier teeth and skrunching up thier face when they are mad or smileing when they are happy. However probably the wierdest thing about them are thier eye's they seem to change to thier emotions for instance if they are normal the pupiles of thier eyes seem dialated, or when they are angry the pupile shrinks down to a small dote showing mostly white, or even turning into and X if they are unconsiouse. Borgs seem to be very clingy to thier master's often setting on thier heads like a hat or around thier waist like a belt if they are small enough. If a Borgs master dies it too will die.

Like it has been said a Borgs apperance will change depending on what abilitie it chooses. For instance if they choose tracking they often grow ears and a snout to help thier master locate danger or other things. or if they choose mobility they may grow feathers and wings to let thier master fly way if they are in danger. Attackers and defenders seem to be a little more different some will shot acide or poison spikes while others will use elements or some other kind of attack ability. Once a Borg chooses a type it can not change that type meaning if it originally chooses tracking it can't change to attacking, it can however upgrade itself and make it a better tracker and so on.

well that's all that I can think of to cover these guy's by the way I'm ready for Star Trek puns. Laughing
I just wanted to think of something to make hunting humans or other races seem more challenging even though they say they have weapons and magic in the end they never seem to do them any good.

Last edited by Tankmasterxyz on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://tankmasterxyz.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Friendly Fauna Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friendly Fauna   Friendly Fauna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 2:16 am

I think these are nice ideas ^_^
But well... Naga hunters are quite a rare species in Felarya XD
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

Friendly Fauna Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friendly Fauna   Friendly Fauna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 7:57 am

Karbo wrote:
Naga hunters are quite a rare species in Felarya XD

What about nearly the whole Dridder species?
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Friendly Fauna Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friendly Fauna   Friendly Fauna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 11:18 am

Quote :
What about nearly the whole Dridder species?

An unfair stereotype that I've worked tirelessly to rid the world of. See how much work I put into it? Note how I reply to this thread simply to scold you for making such a statement, saying nothing about the topic at hand! .... I'll comment on that later, right now I must finish scolding you.
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

Friendly Fauna Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friendly Fauna   Friendly Fauna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 11:20 am

Nearly as in most hate Naga's. A large number will kill them on sight. I never actually considered that it could be stereotypical.
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
Tankmasterxyz
Tankmasterxyz

Friendly Fauna Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friendly Fauna   Friendly Fauna Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Karbo wrote:
I think these are nice ideas ^_^
But well... Naga hunters are quite a rare species in Felarya XD

Thanks Smile
I had a feeling that they were I just though it might be a neat idea.

But I have to agree with Gregole on the Dridder situation it's not fair for them all to be labled evil. I mean when it comes down to it an individual shouldn't be judged on the actions of thier entire race and so fare what Ive noticed the more developed Dridders don't really fit the the dridder reputation Violet and Alestor come to mind.
And the ones that do act evil just arnt very well developed like there just some random bad guy that shows up. and I've seen it happen with every race Centaurs, Naga's, Sphinxe's and so on were they just show up and want to kill the main character.

vegeta002 wrote:
A large number will kill them on sight
This same thing has been said about naga's
Quote :
All nagas take a vow to destroy any dridders they find,
I'm sorry if I'm ranting I'm just saying my point of view.
Back to top Go down
http://tankmasterxyz.deviantart.com/
Mickilla
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Mickilla

Friendly Fauna Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friendly Fauna   Friendly Fauna Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 11:50 pm

For a while now I have been wondering how many humanoid societies have been getting their food. Even big cities like Negav don't seem to have any farms or agriculture, rather, no one has mentioned any as of yet. The natural assumption to make is that most people keep well fed from hunting or fishing, or importing edibles from societies closer to the wilderness' edge, but I'm having a lingering doubt or two that the big cities keep their supply through either of these methods. Could it be that these societies are cultivating domestic animals of some kind to fill this purpose? I considered that method to explain how Ellisians can maintain their settlement and minimize the number of risky and dangerous foraging trips beyond their borders.

There were a number of creatures I had in mind for them (and potentially others) to use as sustenance, one being a large variety of bird that nests high up in the trees, and whose comparable size to a human may put them in an awkward place in the food chain when predators are about and real humans are in short supply. To cope with the threats they face, these birds mate often and lay eggs profusely, at a proportional rate to their loss of life. This, in turn, gives them their nickname, the 'tree hens'. They may not be especially common in most regions, but along the western rim of the ascarlin mountains where humans suddenly get hard to find, they're picked on quite a bit, and in response their nests become a ready source of easily obtainable nourishment, that is, when the hens themselves aren't looking. Because of the birds' size and heavy musculature, as well as their sharp talons and beaks, getting caught raiding these nests can often equal being scarred for life, if you even come back alive, that is. The Ellisians, however, spent enough time stealing eggs and hunting the birds themselves to gain an intimate knowledge of their behaviors and have slowly began to breed a domestic variety, one that can easily feed their population.

The tree hens themselves share a likeness in appearance to falcons and other birds of prey, albeit at a much larger size. Around their heads, necks, and chests their feathers are short and fine, but those of their wings, lower bodies, and tails are long and course, even messy. Their coloration consists of a dark brown base mottled with patches of greenish-gray, forming an effective camouflage when perched in a low posture against the branches or trunks of the trees they roost upon. Their typical behavior is to lie in wait, sometimes for hours and hours on end, until a prey item, usually a deer, wild boar, or something of the like stumbles into their view, at which point they will allow themselves to silently drop from their branch, falling like a brick until the last second, when then unfold their wings, making a 90 degree turn and lunging at their victim laterally at great speed. They sometimes misjudge the distance of their quarry and miss, screeching by and slamming into the first solid object that crosses their path. Their vision is more attuned to nighttime conditions, so often at the onset of the first morning light the sound of several loud thuds in succession even forms their equivalent of a rooster's cry. They are not especially intelligent animals, but are very fast learners. If one of their chicks witnesses a parent being captured and eaten by a predator, they will immediately form a deep fear of whichever species was responsible. Because of this, progress has been made to tame them, apart from simply providing eggs or meat they may also serve as extra pairs of watchful eyes around Ellisian borders.

They do not share a pack mentality, but their populations usually tend to form isolated clusters in regions where predation incites them to begin reproducing, often expanding their numbers at a faster rate than they are consumed and forming the clusters. Their methods of generating offspring helps in this process, for their size, the eggs they lay are proportionally very massive, often turning out larger than a basketball. These eggs are laid only two or three at a time, but the chicks hatch only a few days later at a high stage of development. After a short two weeks, the chicks are already well on their way to full adulthood. It is believed that a certain type of microbe that lives in their digestive tracts seems to have highly beneficial effects on the efficiency of their ability to break down their food and receive nutrition, which may help explain how they are able to develop at this rate. The hormones that encourage them to mate are usually kept dormant, but upon the death of any member of their species, the fear that they may feel quickly releases adrenaline into their systems, which in turn starts the hormonal chain reaction that urges them to replenish their numbers. If just one tree hen dies, and just one other witnesses it, within a month there will be a whole handful of new replacements.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Friendly Fauna Empty
PostSubject: Re: Friendly Fauna   Friendly Fauna Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Friendly Fauna
Page 1 of 1