Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Mary-Sue Litmus Test

Go down 
+33
DarkOne
Archmage_Bael
Zephyr102
Mickilla
zabuzaacolyte
Sephimink|Kyle
Feign
Shady Knight
Chelsea Nightwind
Icalasari
Spykeofkonoha
Oskaija
Malahite
xlrp
MukatKiKaarn
Kat
ExpiredPopsicle
GREGOLE
gwadahunter2222
thegreatanda
R.J
Ravana3k
nksrocks
Feadraug
Wario-Man
Oldman40k2003
Pendragon
Sean W
Rythmear
jurodan@gmail.com
Siafu789
veeshan123
servomoore
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ExpiredPopsicle
Helpless prey
ExpiredPopsicle

The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 8:43 pm

Oh, come now. You know you all want the most Mary-Sue-tastic thing you can possibly create...

There's even an easy-to-follow guide for it! http://glittercandy.deviantart.com/art/Mary-Sue-Tutorial-48101443

(Yes. It's making fun of Mary-Sues. Laugh.)
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 8:49 pm

Nothing wrong with a good character.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 9:23 pm

Rythmear wrote:
Nothing wrong with a good character.

I know, right?

I mean, my character has ben accused of being a mary sue, but come on.

He's an author insert. That doesn't count.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 9:34 pm

Sometimes cliche is a necessary arrangement.
Back to top Go down
Ravana3k
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Ravana3k

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Rythmear wrote:
I only just noticed I'm not the only one with an Alucard picture lol

No you aren't ^^
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 4:28 am

Please avoid to complain the result of the test.
It just a tool which help you to create a character.
You can follow it or not, after all it's your character, you decide if you need to redo something about him/her not the others.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Kat
Helpless prey
Kat

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 5:44 am

*Beams and buffs her nails*

Kat got a 4!

*grins*
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 7:38 am

She must be a dreadfully boring person - all the cool stuff gives you additions.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 9:22 am

Quote :
She must be a dreadfully boring person - all the cool stuff gives you additions.

By that logic, Umbrella Man must also be boring, since he didn't score a Sue.

Granted, if Umbrella Man were a Mary Sue, it'd actually be extremely interesting, when you consider that 'Mary sue' refers strictly to female characters. The proper male term is "Gary Stu'.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 10:46 am

GREGOLE wrote:

Granted, if Umbrella Man were a Mary Sue, it'd actually be extremely interesting, when you consider that 'Mary sue' refers strictly to female characters. The proper male term is "Gary Stu'.

Strange. I thought they were called "Marty Stus".

I guess they have many names.

But seriously, you get penalized by if they have the same name you do? Yeesh. That's very uncool to put on a test.

And to make to 20 points' worth, no less. These people hate author inserts.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 11:09 am

Pendragon wrote:
And to make to 20 points' worth, no less. These people hate author inserts.

I quote from this link http://firefox.org/news/articles/651/1/The-Original-Mary-Sue-Litmus-Test/Page1.html :

"That's a lot of points for the first question. Aren't there any exceptions?

Maybe. Stop! Don't immediately assume your story is that exception, because if you had to ask, it's not. But maybe it could be. If your character really and truly is you, with all your awkwardness and shyness, and every good and bad trait you honestly know you possess, with your own neither entirely happy nor terribly tragic childhood, and with your own massive unlikelihood of meeting, much less befriending, the canon characters, then maybe. If your self-insertion character is not in any way idealized, or made more angst-ridden so that canon characters who've already led tough lives can still sympathize, then it's possible the character won't be badly cliched and flamed to a crisp by reviewers. But don't count on it. "

I think it explains better.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 11:35 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:

Maybe. Stop! Don't immediately assume your story is that exception, because if you had to ask, it's not. But maybe it could be. If your character really and truly is you, with all your awkwardness and shyness, and every good and bad trait you honestly know you possess, with your own neither entirely happy nor terribly tragic childhood, and with your own massive unlikelihood of meeting, much less befriending, the canon characters, then maybe. If your self-insertion character is not in any way idealized, or made more angst-ridden so that canon characters who've already led tough lives can still sympathize, then it's possible the character won't be badly cliched and flamed to a crisp by reviewers. But don't count on it. "

I think it explains better.

That certainly explains alot. My character has some problems, but he isn't angst ridden. The readers could relate to him. I know I do.

Thanks for that little tidbit.
Back to top Go down
Kat
Helpless prey
Kat

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 11:38 am

Rythmear wrote:

*grins* Not necissarily love, it means that she doesn't follow many of the conventions listed *giggles*

It doesn't mean that she's boring Muahahaha
Back to top Go down
MukatKiKaarn
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
MukatKiKaarn

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 12:03 pm

Rythmear wrote:

Not really... the thing with Sues/Stus is that they're absurdly unbalanced, to the point where they can do no wrong because they have superpowers/have all the right connections/are just plain awesome. Your character can have superpowers, as long as they have their Kryptonite, as well. You can have the right connections, as long as we believe that you could have them and have earned them. You can be awesome, as long as you have some flaw or weakness that allows us to sympathize with the character.
Back to top Go down
http://mukatkikaarn.deviantart.com
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 12:31 pm

Pendragon wrote:

That certainly explains alot. My character has some problems, but he isn't angst ridden. The readers could relate to him. I know I do.

Thanks for that little tidbit.

As I said previously this test is just a tool, in the end it's "YOU" who decide how your story will evolve. And read the article it will help you to understand the test.

Last edited by on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 1:01 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:

As I said previouslythis test is just a tool, in the end it's "YOU" who decide how your story will evolve. And read the article it will help you to understand the test.

Actually, I did read the article. I just forgot that little passage. Seeing it alone made me focus on it more.

But I think I will take another look. It's worth it.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 11:28 pm

Actually, the reason Umbrella Man scored so low is that none of the things apply to him since his personality isn't fixed. He differs internally depending on where he is and who he absorbed.
Back to top Go down
xlrp
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 2:54 pm

I like this test its funny it gives a good idea of what you don't want to do. Then again most of the questions are general idea I try to avoid. Another good way to help yourseld out check a book call How NOT to draw manga http://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-Manga-Supersize-Special/dp/1932453601. It wallks you through the basic rehase and remix of all anime and manga characters that get used over and over again. It helped me step my game up as a writer. Though i can't say how well it helps artist.

Last edited by on Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://xlrp.deviantart.com
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 3:24 pm

21pts / Border-Line Sue. Pretty good for a character of mine. Best character for a fantasy setting had something like 16, worst (Who I scrapped a couple months ago anyways for the 16) was something like a 46.
Back to top Go down
nksrocks
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
nksrocks

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 3:52 pm

By the way this test doesn't count minimally if your it's a part-parodic character.
You raise points up even if it's made that way on purpose to be fun Suspect

May rock be with you.
Back to top Go down
http://nksrocks.deviantart.com/
Oskaija
Helpless prey
Oskaija

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Heh, Kailer scored a 25. I'm pleased with the outcome though ^^
Back to top Go down
http://oskaija.deviantart.com/
Spykeofkonoha
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Spykeofkonoha

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 4:08 pm

Oskaija wrote:
Heh, Kailer scored a 25. I'm pleased with the outcome though ^^

Heh, without any sort of restrictions on his original design... Spyke himself was uber-marie-sue. I haven't checked out any of my other characters yet... I may do that later on.
Back to top Go down
http://Spykeofkonoha.deviantart.com
Oskaija
Helpless prey
Oskaija

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 8:38 pm

Spykeofkonoha wrote:
Heh, without any sort of restrictions on his original design... Spyke himself was uber-marie-sue. I haven't checked out any of my other characters yet... I may do that later on.

Heh, well considering what he's based on, I'm not at all surprised to be honest XD

Dizzy might be a Mary-sue or borderline as my guess.
Back to top Go down
http://oskaija.deviantart.com/
Spykeofkonoha
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Spykeofkonoha

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 9:15 pm

Oskaija wrote:
Heh, well considering what he's based on, I'm not at all surprised to be honest XD

Dizzy might be a Mary-sue or borderline as my guess.

I haven't really come up with a background for her. Just a roaming Fairy as far as I can remember.
Back to top Go down
http://Spykeofkonoha.deviantart.com
Icalasari
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Icalasari

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 8:28 pm

My main character - Either 49 or 71...

Based heavily on myself, however, but is a Phoenix Anthro version. So I think that those scores are unfair.

Kristy the maniacal killer crystal bird - 17. Used to be 21, but then I realized some of the questions did not apply to her, or that I forgot to subtract some points.

Oceandos - 12 - YAY!

What I find unfair is no wings policy... What if they are a Phoenix Anthro, a dragon, or a freaking BIRD!?

In that case, Oceandos should have a score of 2, Kristy 7, and me either 19 or 41 (name and wings being the only things discounted (phoenix anthro would have wings. It is an ANTHRO, for fucks sake!). In fact, the 19 score was after I retook the test taking some things in mind. But even so... A character based on me is going to like the same freaking stuff as me, and should NOT be penalized for that!)

The thing that really upsets me is the fact that a character based on me (used mostly for RPs) is a John Doe... I am NO FREAKING JOHN DOE!!!

Alright, anger gone Very Happy

EDIT: And now that I am thinking clearly, I guess 29 after discounting the name part. Although he should still score far lower, since alot of the points came just from being based on me...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mary-Sue Litmus Test
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next