Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Mary-Sue Litmus Test

Go down 
+33
DarkOne
Archmage_Bael
Zephyr102
Mickilla
zabuzaacolyte
Sephimink|Kyle
Feign
Shady Knight
Chelsea Nightwind
Icalasari
Spykeofkonoha
Oskaija
Malahite
xlrp
MukatKiKaarn
Kat
ExpiredPopsicle
GREGOLE
gwadahunter2222
thegreatanda
R.J
Ravana3k
nksrocks
Feadraug
Wario-Man
Oldman40k2003
Pendragon
Sean W
Rythmear
jurodan@gmail.com
Siafu789
veeshan123
servomoore
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Chelsea Nightwind
Helpless prey

The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Nightwind scored a 61, but oh well :B
Back to top Go down
http://eruhreign.deviantart.com
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 9:37 am

Hmm.. after a few changes, as well as disregarding that "no wings" and "does the character posess powers that are perfectly within the norm for his/her setting" crap, I can proudly say that Ryla scored a respectable 18.

But I think it's safe to say that this test isn't a matter of mary-sue-ism, as much as it is a measure of cliche. Most of these questions pertain to plot cliches more than they do to classic overpowered fan characters. But the two do tend to go hand in hand, so whatever.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:07 pm

Jacob Shaeder got a -5 on the test.

To be fair, he's self centered, an asshole, baseline human, relatively poor in equipment, etc. Still, a decent turn-out for me.

Also, if you check the test (As others have pointed out): It seems to favor 'Low' Fantasy characters over 'High' Fantasy. Very, very much so.
Back to top Go down
Icalasari
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Icalasari

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 5:25 pm

Malahite wrote:

To be fair, he's self centered, an asshole, baseline human, relatively poor in equipment, etc. Still, a decent turn-out for me.

Also, if you check the test (As others have pointed out): It seems to favor 'Low' Fantasy characters over 'High' Fantasy. Very, very much so.

The problem comes when they are meant to be in a fantasy setting like Felarya... X.X
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 5:37 pm

Icalasari wrote:
Malahite wrote:

The problem comes when they are meant to be in a fantasy setting like Felarya... X.X

Which is why you go with the "Shoot for the eye" and "party with idiots" methods.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 10:23 am

Aww man, my OC is a sue. Sad

I got 44. Sad

Well, technically, I didn't use this username before I created him; so maybe I have 24 instead. Which means I'm close to sueness.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Feign
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Feign

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 11:16 am

Well, taking into account that Elrich Carter does occasionally go by the name Feign, he's a 30 - "Borderline Sue"

Without that little nickname, he's a 8 - "Anti-Sue"

Considering he only uses his nickname when dealing with other magic users, he should average a little closer to the lower end of the spectrum. Personally, I wouldn't trust the guy as far as I could throw him.

I should probably run a few of my OC Felaryan natives through this test...
Back to top Go down
Sephimink|Kyle
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 1:04 pm

Ran through it with my main characters of my story; not too surprised at any of the results.

Vide : 26 (Borderline-Sue)
Jennifer : 19 (Non-Sue)
Hale : 11 (Non-Sue)
Nyla : 17 (Non-Sue)
Brant : 22 (Borderline-Sue)
Séna : 28 (Borderline-Sue)
Back to top Go down
zabuzaacolyte
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 8:13 pm

Huh...Veen got a 5. O.o I'm glad she's an Anti-Sue but it does make me wonder if she could realistically survive her surroundings.
Back to top Go down
Mickilla
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Mickilla

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Only 24 points for Nadiel, and most of that was from where I got his name from.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 5:39 pm

So, I'm new here.
Anybody thought of actually running Crisis (or any other Karbo originals) through the test, or is this kind of a 'rules 1 and 2 of Fight Club' deal?

I also know there's a Mary Sue test for species to be found here http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysuerace.htm

I'll admit to not being thrilled with Felarya, but before anybody tells me to go away, understand that I am trying to understand the draw of the universe by coming here.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Everything's cliche, I just don't worry about it unless the character is actually written poorly.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 9:16 am

I agree, Mary Sues while they are something that can be abused, they arn't necessary taboo. Sometimes Mary sues can be justifed. Mary Sues are great for humour for example. For example a powerful hero who is strong and almost indestructible but is very stupid and ends up accidently hurting more people than he saves. because the character is funny, it's possible to ignore the fact that he is a Mary Sue.

It's when the character is flat and badly written, that's is when Mary Sue charactersation becomes a problem, because it's the only thing you notice. Your reader realizes that your character has nothing to communicate and only exists for self glorification. That's when Mary Sues are unacceptable.
Back to top Go down
Razor
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Razor

Location : Mah house at the base of the giant tree. A few Predators are waiting for me outside with pitchforks. Or are they just forks...?

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 6:21 pm

DarkOne wrote:
Mary Sues are great for humour for example. For example a powerful hero who is strong and almost indestructible but is very stupid and ends up accidently hurting more people than he saves. because the character is funny, it's possible to ignore the fact that he is a Mary Sue.

Haha. That's Razor in a nutshell. I expected him to be a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu/Whatever. He's overpowered, but a complete dumbass. sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:32 pm

So I just discovered this thread... and here's my evaluation of my two most developed characters:
Persephone scored 8 points, an Anti-Sue, W00T! Though I'll admit if I develop her much further she'll definitely go up a category.
Helia scored 10, which is a surprise because I expected her to score a lot higher on account of things like how I draw her the most and her physical flaw/handicap. Maybe if I were in a more liberal mood she'd score a couple more, making her on the border between Anti-Sue and Non-Sue. Again, will probably go up a level as she develops, but I'll try and not let her go up too far.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Darth_Nergal
Hero
Hero
Darth_Nergal

Location : Someplace north Tonorian Hive, south of the Chordoni Waterfall, east of the Kuwuni bridge, and west of the Lataran Temple

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:05 am

Meep, Leila got a 19 on that. She's still a Non-Sue...but it's close. Of course I didn't bother with the wings thing because she's a Fairy, and fairies have wings...I don't know a single species of Fairy that doesn't have wings.

I was actually surprised that Nina only got 16. Unless, of course, you guys don't consider being around 4 inches tall is a physical handicap. If so, then she got a 21.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sithlordnergal.deviantart.com
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 8:30 am

Wow, it's been a while since I used this.

Thanks to the revisions to the characters I've made over these years, my characters score less than 20. Thank goodness. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 10:58 am

I used this on Elçim and he got a 19. There was a dubious -3 that a decided not to include just in case it doesn't count. Still, I find it stupid that at one place it adds points that your character is an assassin and at another place it takes points out if your character willingly made an assassination. Duh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mary-Sue Litmus Test   The Mary-Sue Litmus Test - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mary-Sue Litmus Test
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3