Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art Empty
PostSubject: Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art   Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 6:32 pm

When we watch a movie; read a book; or play a game, is it really just that? A story, irrelevant to us beyond mere entertainment? Is all the stuff about "allegory", "allusion", and "meaning" mere jargon we have to put up with in English? Does a story that reaches for such heights try too hard, unable to be entertaining?

I have enjoyed a number of stories, as games, movies, and books-I mark certain transitions in my thinking when I read them.

One very recent experience came while watching my brother play "Mass Effect"-one moment just made my jaw drop, and watch.

Shepard (the main character) is called upon by his fellow soldiers to help them-a feral human has been running around, carrying a weapon. They have been unable to sedate her, as she would attack when they got too close. What followed was what I consider the most poignant, heartbreaking dialog between two characters in any work of fiction.

She was a slave-so broken by her masters that even she saw herself as an animal. She would kneel, carry, and bend over for them-and they would beat her just the same. The chains that bound her weren't on the outside-but within the confines of her mind, her very will and psyche bound by bio-implants. She described how the slavers came, destroyed her home; murdered her parents; and broke her like a beast of burden. Worst of all, she spoke in the third person-never even using her name.

Thankfully, my brother did right-he guided her gently, helping her face her past and confront her demons. He even got her to take the sedative willingly, so that she could begin the path to recovery, self-restoration, and self-liberation. My heart slowly filled with joy, as she said "She-I, I want to get better..."

Beautiful, just beautiful.

Have you had a similar experience? Please share...
Back to top Go down
http://militant-prey.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art   Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 7:23 pm

That is beautiful. Just beautiful.

Just listening to your description has brought a tear to my eye. I truly could not fathom that woman's emotions, and I am happy that your brother decided to help her.

That reminded me of something I experienced long ago. I believe it was an anime.

A half-man hybrid tyrant, in cold blood, murdered this girl's mother right infront of her. Worse yet, he forced her to work for him for a decade, and even had to have his face tattooed on her arm. She had to live in misery for years, working for the murderer that killed her mom. It was horrible.

Fortunately, a boy came in and defeated the tyrant in the most painful way possible, breaking his teeth in and everything.

It could never bring back that girl's mom, but she felt a bit better.

I hate those types of heartless monsters. They consider themselves superior and they ruin others' lives. They're the mary sues of real life!

They don't deserve the pleasure of being eaten alive.

That's why I enjoy the moment when the hero becomes enraged and develops a thirst for dark vengeance.

Then the blood spills...

Heh

heh

heh.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art   Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 12:15 pm

Pendragon wrote:

I hate those types of heartless monsters. They consider themselves superior and they ruin others' lives. They're the mary sues of real life!

Depends on the 'Monster' types.

That type I hate. However, I have a curious sorrow for Konrad Curze. If the story is to be believed, he was really a SoL person. (( I won't go into full details, as the story of him is really, REALLY gakking long.))
Back to top Go down
The Rev
Hero
Hero
The Rev

PostSubject: Re: Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art   Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 4:22 pm

This kind of plot tends to happen pretty often, and I kind of find it pretty awkward, but I do like it when I read something influential.

Welcome to the jungle, we got fun n' games.
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art   Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 4:33 pm

Guys.

This could be ANY impressive moment-not just the scenario I described. It could be ANYTHING!
Back to top Go down
http://militant-prey.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art   Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 4:39 pm

Siafu789 wrote:
Guys.
This could be ANY impressive moment-not just the scenario I described. It could be ANYTHING!

Starting at 3:29.

The prayer, response, and then charging of the Daemon just makes me feel... thrilled. The complete lack of fear in the face of death...

Having trouble coming up with a good story that DOESN'T involve either an Evil Overlord or Mind Fething.

EDIT:
Emperor Mollari from Babylon 5.
The Ride of the Rohirrim.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art   Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 5:01 pm

Siafu789 wrote:
Guys.

Ah. Well, I remember one moment that inspired me, instead of enraging me.

It was a while back. It was the time of GIANT ROBOTS (from Armored Core).

I beheld a great war long ago. Mechas and soldiers and tanks and copters were everywhere. However, the defending side (the good guys) had a great leader. His name was Genobee. His laser blade shone in the sun, and it encouraged the troops to go even further. It was truly a shining moment. His troops emerged victorious, despite being outnumbered a million to one.

Unfortunately, by the game's end, everybody was wiped out. In his last moments, though, Genobee was still a great man. I respect him.

Sorry for making a story out of it, but it really inspired me, especially since I was feeling depressed at that time (high school exams).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art   Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Words that Touch our Hearts: When a Story Becomes Art
Page 1 of 1