Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gabriel Talos (my main character)

Go down 
+5
French snack
Feadraug
GREGOLE
rcs619
Gabriel115
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gabriel115
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Gabriel115

Gabriel Talos (my main character) Empty
PostSubject: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 10:05 pm

Name: Gabriel
race: human sized naga
apperance: short black hair, blue eyes, tan skin
scale color: black with blue stripes
Attire: Black cowboy hat, black trech coat

job: Bounty Hunter/ body guard

srengths: physacly and mentaly stong, excalent marksman.
Weakness: not fast, esaly angerd, suductive women, cocky, hates little kids and hights, and is a poker fanatic

equipment: two magnums (Nex and Forensis), multiple ammo types, and assult rifle, mp3 player

likes: oranges, good books, strong rivals, playing piano, gambling, action movies, drawing and sight seeing, atractive women
hates: loseing at poker, sarcazaum ,and bratty kids

bio: he is a tough-talking bounty hunter he is also a amuter ladies man when not working, Gabriel's always looking for something exciting to do and something new to explore, his trusty guns have gotten him out of almost every jam his mouth got him into...so far, his mind is as sharp as his sharpshooting skills, though he likes to let the people around him do all the hevay thinking for him while he makes witty coments, with a snappy tongue and buckets of self-confidence, he also has a dead serious poker face in battel, and realy bad jokes.

family: none

history: Gabriel's egg hatched near a village close to the fairy pond , but instead of becomeing good friends with the fairys he bonded with the humans in the village, although he was not allowed to live in the village due to the fact that a few of the villagers didn't trust him, the villagers that did like him provided him with food and made him a home a mile south of the village, to repay them Gabriel decided to use his skills as a hunter to hunt criminals and keep other preds from eating the villagers.

other info:

gabriel gaind the guns when hunting a persion who killed a few people in the village, and gets ammo from traders that pass by the village

the assult rifle has a sword length blade built in it that comes out like an over sized swich blade

theme song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwt08NqcZvU

Last edited by Gabriel115 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:03 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 11:29 pm

Wow...where to even begin on this one...guess I'll just go down the list...

Quote :
Gabriel:
race: human
apperance: http://store.catchplay.com/catalog/game/news/2008/200804/20080425/SRW%20OG%20Saga/big/14.jpg

...okay, first I just have to point out the pic. The fact that he looks like Trigun and Gungrave had a bastard child that then mated with Wild Arms aside...those firearms are comepletely ridiculous and impractical. Im not as upset at the assault rifle as I am with that pistol...I mean, honestly...you couldn't fire that thing without supporting the barrel in one hand, which negates the point of a pistol to begin with. Its longer than the freaking assault rifle!

Quote :
Gabriel:
job: didder hunter

...im sorry...I just have to facepalm at this. My question is WHY DRIDDERS? I mean, hell...part of their diet is made up of large predators. If anything, they're doing humans a favor by eating the other things that ONLY eat humans. I mean...arrgh...we'll touch back on this later in my response.

Quote :
Gabriel:
equipment: custom 45. magnum (nex forensis), assult rifel (Hope's Bane), pssesed katana (Chaos Hate), crest of Darkaria, and preditor escape potions

Alrighty, here we go. First of all...I truly hope he isn't carrying around a pistol similar to the one in that referrence pic...as it would weigh as much or more than a rifle, and be unwieldy as all hell. I mean, you can't exactly wear it around your waist or draw it quickly at all. Next...unless you plan on fighting humans a lot, pistols are virtually useless in Felarya. You could shoot a .50cal handgun at a predator all day, and you'd never break the skin. Handguns are meant to kill unarmored targets at close range...not something the size of 2 whales at well over 100ft or more. The noise could get their attention, I guess...

As for the assault rifle...ehh, it depends. I suppose if it was a larger caliber, like a 7.62mm round (AK47 rounds) you might be able to irritate them some...and possibly pierce the skin with anti-armor rounds loaded up. You certainly aren't going to get any kind of killing blow and even an underslung grenade launcher would be more irritating than anything..as the shrapnel would not e large enough to do any damage to something that large.

...a katana? ...dude, come on at least be original, lol. Swords are virtually useless on predators anyway (see the Felarya manga if you want to see just how effective a cursed katana is =P). In short...zero range and no chance at a killing blow.

...predator escape potions? ...ehh...we'll touch on those later.

Quote :
Gabriel:
personality: usaly silent, dark and emotionless but once you have proven to be trust worthy he begins to so a softer side.

...the dark, silent guy with a soft heart who has a cursed katana...that sure is...generic.

Quote :
Gabriel:
BIO:

Yadda yadda yadda...great evil force...epic battle with darkness...something happens...family dies...portal is opened...our hero lands on an alien world with amnesia and he then commences to wandering said world. I can't help but feel like I've heard all this before in so many animes and videogames...

Quote :
Gabriel:
he now is a profesional dridder hunter but takes other bounties as well except naga ones because he has grown fond of them.

...okay, this is where you lose me? Why dridders? Why kill one of the few predators that eats other predators...you know, the giant things that mainly or only eat humans? Why single out dridders? if he hates seeing humans die, why kill one of the races that does it less? (nagas eat humans A LOT more often, by the way)...why label himself a "Dridder hunter" ...why not a "Predator hunter". Why would he single out a particular race when they are all about as dangerous, if not more dangerous to humans than dridders? Does he just think spiders are icky or something?

Quote :
Gabriel:
The Crest of Darkaria is a necklace that holds the spirets of his nearly dead world that died becuase of Fear and hold great power when Gabriel calls apon them, his soul is also linked to it and is weaker when it is not with him.

...so he has a cursed katana...amnesia...a dead family...AND has a necklace of great magical power? ...the genericness continues! lol

Quote :
Gabriel:
Preditor Escape potions is his ace in the hole if eaten, it is made by his sister Danielle out of plants that she brought with her to felarya from Darkaria which cuases anyone who drinks it ti instantly vomit. Gabriel usaly has 20 bottels on him at a time.

Okay...that might actually work...once. Inducing vomitting IS one of the ways to escape a predator's stomach...but that still doesnt mean the predator can't just crush you...chew you...strip you of your possesions and swallow you again...or in the case of Dridders (the species he hunts "professionally") injecting him with their poison that slowly liquifies his organs, which they then sip like a human slushie =P While it could be effective...it doesn't keep you from dying...at all. Not to mention it would be completely ineffective on a Dryad...as they are physically incapable of vomitting.

...and another thing...predators are big...he'd need some BIG bottles to induce violent and immediate vomitting.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but there are just so many horrible sterotypes in this character. The powerful, gun-toting, cursed katana wielding, amnesiac human from a dead world where he fought a great evil...the fact that he singles out dridders in particular as the race he hunts...the fact that he likes all nagas and leaves them alone...and so on.

I know you want your own "badass" character that is completely safe and can explore Felarya and kickass at will...but thats not what Felarya is about. NO ONE, is completely safe, even predators...and combat is usually the WORST thing you can do. Sure, a properly equipped human (with an anti-material rifle firing 15-20mm rounds...or someone with C4 and lots of it) could potentially kill a predator...but this is usually extremely counter-productive though. Stealth and cunning are your friends in Felarya. Brute force may work once or twice...but it will only get you killed if you rely on it...and it makes a character extremely uninteresting when they have no weakness or vulnerabilities.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel115
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Gabriel115

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 3:47 pm

i dont realy mind what you said but you could have said it a littel less harshly but thanks for stating a few things let me clarafy
my character is not invincabel i forgot to post a few things because it was late when i posted his bio
my character has a soft spot for people who remind him of people he knew befor he arived
, the magnum is for self defence agest human sized enemys, he is a drider hunter becuase as i have already stated he has grown fond of Nagas and if i am not mistaken most of them hate dridders, and lastly you have no idea how powerful the potions are.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Quote :
has grown fond of Nagas and if i am not mistaken most of them hate dridders,

Ignoring my total lack of patience for racial bias...

The naga/dridder war is a STEREOTYPE. There is no canon war between nagas and dridders. A bit of bad blood, sure, and some extremists on both sides. But I seem to recall Karbs mentioning he was considering rewriting the wording in both races' wiki articles to make that clear.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 4:18 pm

Gabriel115 wrote:
i dont realy mind what you said but you could have said it a littel less harshly but thanks for stating a few things

rcs619 may sound harsh, but what you got there was actual feedback and I gotta agree with rcs619 in all the points he's been pointing out. He's underlining the fact that your character is a walking stereotype with no actual variety, which is something that you have to work out. That and the fact you have to avoid getting a Gary Stu.

Gabriel115 wrote:
let me clarafy
my character is not invincabel i forgot to post a few things because it was late when i posted his bio
my character has a soft spot for people who remind him of people he knew befor he arived
, the magnum is for self defence agest human sized enemys,

You have to make those things clear then, but still, the soft spot part is still way to stereotypical in my opinion. He can be a douche perfectly and just act for his own interest. Even if it's also a stereotype, it's less used and it can give you more chances to get something a bit more fresh than the way-too-usual badass with a kind heart.

Gabriel115 wrote:
he is a drider hunter becuase as i have already stated he has grown fond of Nagas and if i am not mistaken most of them hate dridders,

As GREGOLE stated, the hatred between nagas and dridders is nothing but a stereotype. Of course, some of us have a dridder or a naga that isn't in good terms with the others, but we can make it just for some nagas/dridders in particular or a simple dislike towards them because of the way they've been brought up by stereotypical nagas/dridders, though not actual hate. Also, not all nagas hate dridders, not all dridders hate nagas, and I really hope Karbo will clarify the whole thing sooner or later.

Gabriel115 wrote:
and lastly you have no idea how powerful the potions are.

But wouldn't that make him a bit too overpowered? I have to say brute force isn't the solution. I'm already with a story where the guy with the brute force nearly got himself killed by Kensha beasts. He killed one of the beasts, yeah, in quite a godmodding way, but if it wasn't because of his group, he'd be feeding some predators right now. You can be successful once, but going berserker will get you badly injured or worst, killed.

What does this mean? Being smart, careful and stealthy will give you more chances of survival rather than going around and trying to fight preds. That way, you'll be dead in no time.

And I still think the potions are godmodding devices.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Gabriel115
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Gabriel115

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 4:27 pm

my bad on the naga didder war thanks for clarafying
Back to top Go down
Gabriel115
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Gabriel115

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 4:31 pm

i just looked up didders in the felarya wiki and the do hat nagas and since my character likes nagas so he has a good resion to be a dridder hunter.
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 4:33 pm

Not to discourage you, Gabriel115, but I agree with rcs619. I'd advise you to pay close attention to every point he raised. They're all valid points. I won't repeat them, because he put them well himself.

It's good that you have enthusiasm, and that you want to be creative. But your character needs to fit into Felarya's particularities. As you've designed him, at present, he doesn't.

And as everyone has pointed out, not all nagas are racist. By which I mean, not all of them hate dridders. In fact, most of them don't. (My naga, Jissy, certainly doesn't.) There's a disturbing prevalence of racist characters in Felarya, but they're not all like that - not by a long shot.

And you're not going to make your character likeable by making him stupidly hate all dridders on account of their race. A dridder can't help being born into his or her species, and his/her species doesn't predetermine every aspect of his/her personality and behaviour.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel115
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Gabriel115

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 4:35 pm

any segestions on inprovements to my character then
Back to top Go down
L'Ryn
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
L'Ryn

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 5:03 pm

CHANGE YOUR AVATAR. I MEAN, SHEESH. CHANGE IT.

Otherwise, maybe have an original character design?
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 5:10 pm

Quote :
i just looked up didders in the felarya wiki and the do hat nagas and since my character likes nagas so he has a good resion to be a dridder hunter.

Perhaps you missed the part where I mentioned Karbo mentioning that he's considering editing it to clarify. Something I think is overdue.

The feud has brought absolutely nothing but trouble to the community.

So far, almost ALL dridder characters thusfar have been reasonable people. Hell, I would almost go so far as to say it's a fad.

The point is, having him ally with any single race is asinine and just plain sloppy. I like dridders, but I wouldn't adopt a hatred for nagas based on a stereotypical feud, nor would I refuse to harm a dridder who really deserved it.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm really, really sorry but I'll have to call Mary Sue on this one. In fact, I call Mary Sue twelve times over.This character doesn't really benefit Felarya in any way in this current form. He is a total badass who can apparently kill dridders and never die due to amazing potions. This is a godmodding walking anime stereotype, right down to the katana. A katana with the hilarious name of "Chaos Hate" no less. He can teleport and has some vague powerful abilities about killing stuff by looking at it, dead souls of his world...etc. etc. Backstory is rather...non-informative, besides the fact it attempts to set him up as a badass monster killer. A dridder killer? But he favours nagas? This isn't something like hunting deer. This is not hunting grizzly bears even. It doesn't matter if he likes nagas - they only like him for his taste. Plus...what sort of fun does it bring to Felarya with an emotionless badass running around killer dridders? Any character that is able to repeatedly kill predators is pushing it here. And the predator escape potions?! That kills Felarya dead. There could be a human character chased by a naga. There is real fear and intensity because you get caught, you die. Here it's just "Oh well, if my contrived badassness doesn't kill them, I'll just walk out of it anyways." Not only does this character have no emotion, he starts sucking it out of his surroundings.

Phew. I know you probably didn't want a rant, but it had to be done. I'm sort of touchy after repeated Mary Sueing attempts...

So you have two choices. You could make and readjust him a predator, which would at least justify his power somewhat, but raises a whole slew of other problems. Or you can make a more realistic character.

A monster hunter is not a bad idea. He can be good with guns, but preferably with realistic guns. He should be no faster or stronger than the average strong human on Felarya. As for monsters, the most likely thing would be hunting dumb unreasoning and random monsters like Kensha beasts and the like, who can be just as dangerous for travellers. Maybe he is good enough to drive a predator off with good shooting. Maybe he does hate dridders specifically, but it needs a better reason. Maybe they killed a friend. Maybe he has serious arachnophobia - that could lead to countless stories with dridder characters. Perhaps he could even kill one, after a story's worth of planning and work.

So - even if you ignore the other stuff, work on the personality. He is far too flat of a character - give him some facets! Quirks, likes, dislikes, fears, hopes, etc. etc.

Yeah and again no escape potions. Please.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 5:47 pm

I'll go through some points to help in improving. Although I'm not as good as this as rcs619, I'll do my best... It's hard when the character screams "anime Gary Stu" so loud and in many languages, but anyway, here we go.

Gabriel115 wrote:

The first recommendation is to avoid calling a character after yourself (that's if Gabriel is your real name). That would lead people to think it's a Gary Stu. Also, try to get some original design. Getting a Super Robot Wars character as your avatar is also a bit of Gary Stu-ish, trying to identify your character with some already existing badass (or badass-wannabe, like that character looks like).

Gabriel115 wrote:
skills: can teleport, see someones life force, kill at a glance(at full power) share powers with others

Now let's check his powers...
- Teleport: The usual trick of teleporting away, huh? I don't like that power too much, that's my opinion, can be godmodding. In fact, it IS playing to be God. And you haven't specified the kind of teleportation, because some preds have magic resistance and it applies to their digestive system, so magic users won't escape. If your teleportation isn't magical... well, you got a godmodder there.
- Seeing life force: And how does this work? You can see life force, but how is this useful for the character to be considered an ability worth keeping? It sounds more like a videogame feature than an actual skill for a character. This is no game, you can't see the life points of your opponent so easily.
- Kill at glance when in full power: I'd recommend not going for instant killing techniques. Even if it's a full power one, insta-killers aren't really appreciated. Once again, godmodding is the word.
- Share powers with others: The Rogue or Peter Petrelli kind? This is both an advantage and a disadvantage, since he can get a good power, but also get a bad one and be screwed. If you want to keep this, make it random, because else it'd be, yes, godmodding (and still, power sharing is a bit in the overpowered side even if balanced).

Gabriel115 wrote:
equipment: custom 45. magnum (nex forensis), assult rifel (Hope's Bane), pssesed katana (Chaos Hate), crest of Darkaria, and preditor escape potions

The equipment is pretty generic. The Magnum is against humans, right? Fine, it can be kept, even if useless (you find a magic user and his fireball will own your Magnum anytime, anywhere... even expert melee fighters will outsmart you), but an assault rifle isn't a good thing for Felarya. Some preds have a thick skin, others are so big their flesh won't let the bullets hit their organs and so on. The assault rifle proves to be useless, even if it'd work with some predators.

The possessed katana is so cliché that I recommend you to ditch it, because, as stated, in Felarya melee weapons are nearly useless, even if magical or possessed or whatever. If your character had a normal broadsword, it'd be the very same thing: useless, because brute force isn't that good in a world where cunning and stealth are the clues to stay alive (and they aren't 100% efficient). Also, katanas are overrated and so anime-esque that, seriously, don't fit in the setting.

The crest and the potions will be discussed later.

Gabriel115 wrote:
personality: usaly silent, dark and emotionless but once you have proven to be trust worthy he begins to so a softer side.

family (parents) KIA, two brothers Vincent and Jamal two sisters Allegra and Danielle

As it has also been pointed, this is very stereotypical. The thing is that you have to get some originality in it, it's like you get a typical badass and throw him into Felary like nothing. Cold characters are way too overused, I'd recommend you to give some kind of twist. He can be an asshole all the time, not having a soft point except for some very few exceptions. That way, the impact the character causes will depend on other characters' relationship with him. You have a guy who may be dark for a very good reason, but won't just go friendly in the end because he has a soft spot.

Of course, this is also a stereotype, but it's a less used one and with more chances for something new and better. Angst characters with soft sides should rest for a long while, in my opinion. Your character is just... flat. Spice him up a bit!

Gabriel115 wrote:
bio: He once lived in the powerful world od Darkaria which now lies in ruins because of a great war between man and beast. Gabriel fought in the war for many years until the fighting cuased an anchent evil spirit known as Fear to be reaweakend it layed waste to the world,Gabriel and his family fought agenst it and won, but the battle caused a portal to open to Felarya, when Gabriel awoke he found himself in a forest and had no memorey of his past for mounths he traveled across the strange world looking for awnseres untill he was reunited with his brothers and sisters. he now is a profesional dridder hunter but takes other bounties as well except naga ones because he has grown fond of them.

Well, let's go for the story. Once again, we find a cliché, this time "fighting against a great evil, being an outcast due to the war, losing his memories and wandering the new world in search for answers". It's so anime and videogame cliché that, and sorry for saying it, hurts.

Your character doesn't need to have a tragic origin or lose his memory or whatever. He can be a predator hunter just for fun, for money or because he thinks people needs someone to help them escape from the giant beings that want them for lunch (this last option is removed in case you want him to be a douche).

Now about the hunter thing... Dridder hunter is way TOO specific and racist. I was told once (by rcs619, to be more specific) that the 'evil dridder' stereotype is just a killer. And so is the 'nagas hate dridders/dridders hate nagas' one. I mean, why the hatred towards dridders? Because some nagas told him? Does your character know all nagas or has your character tried to see the other side of the non-existent conflict, the dridders? I bet he doesn't...

You can go just for a predator hunter or just a bounty hunter or a mercenary. He could be hired for making sure predators won't disturb a group, for example, getting paid for his services (preferibly in advance, in case some preds eat the group and he manages to run away). There.

Also, this leads us to an interesting point: his backstory doesn't give us any clues about his motivations, why he's the way he became to be (and no, amnesia doesn't count)... Your backstory has to tell us why character came from one point to the current one, it has to explain why he acts in a way or another, show some background...

Gabriel115 wrote:
The Crest of Darkaria is a necklace that holds the spirets of his nearly dead world that died becuase of Fear and hold great power when Gabriel calls apon them, his soul is also linked to it and is weaker when it is not with him.

Wait a minute... a necklace that grants him power thanks to the souls of his homeworld? Is your character a Messiah or something? He could have a symbolic necklace, but that's all. A powerful pendant like that isn't wise. It'd be great for a D&D campaign or for a treasure in a lost temple in Felarya, guarded by monsters of any kind, but not for a normal character to have.

Gabriel115 wrote:
Preditor Escape potions is his ace in the hole if eaten, it is made by his sister Danielle out of plants that she brought with her to felarya from Darkaria which cuases anyone who drinks it ti instantly vomit. Gabriel usaly has 20 bottels on him at a time.

I've been talking of godmodding, but the escape potions are the top of it. If godmodding could take a form, that would be your predator escape potions.

If your character is supposed to be a predator hunter or the like, he has to be smart to avoid getting eaten, not "hey, I have this potion and make the pred vomit me, so I'll be safe and sound". No, that's not the way a hunter or a merc has to act. They have to outsmart the enemy, to be a step ahead, they can't rely on godmodding devices like escape potions. That's cheating and that kills the hunter/merc/whatever's reputation. A lot.

PS: And please, change the avatar, it's way too big!
Back to top Go down
Gabriel115
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Gabriel115

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 7:02 pm

fixed it happy now, thanks for the help and how do you think about the theme song, to much?
Back to top Go down
Gabriel115
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Gabriel115

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Gabriel is not my real name Feadraug
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:58 pm

Okay, lesse what changed since I left. Oh, okay, so he's a Bounty Hunter. That is a fairly appropriate job for a rough place like Felarya. Even collecting human bounties is hard if they're out in the bush. Either they've been eaten or you're in danger of being eaten. Or both. So it would just be as many parts detective and spy than Bounty Hunter.

Okay, now - skills. The teleport thing stayed. Hmm, alright. Personally, I hate teleporting as it reduces a good chase seen to a pathetic little "poof!". But it could work, depending the nature of it. How can he teleport? Is it magic? Does his homeword have everyone teleporting? How much can he teleport and how far? And seeing life force - still a little vague. Is this like sensing life force, like a predator sense? If it only worked on other humans that would be a cool skill - helpful for Bounty Hunting and telling if the bounty got digested by a naga.

Hobbies - Gambling, fighting. Ah, okay, now I'm starting to see more of a rough Bounty Hunter. Poetry? Huh, that could be cool. But it had better be amateur but honest poetry about the beauty of Felarya or somesuch things. What a man with not much time but with feelings about his surroundings would write. No teenage angst poetry. None.

Strengths and weaknesses - Hmm. So strong, but not too fast. Easily angered. That seems to fit in character of the gambling brawling Bounty Hunter. Excellent marksman and swordsman... he probably is a good marksman for that sort of job. Swordsman? I'm not sure if that's really an applicable skill...if you're hunting predators with a sword - say hello to the stomach. And for human bounties...why not just shoot them? Carrying a katana around seems like a waste of space. Bring treats to bribe predators with instead. : )

Equipment - Two magnums. Good idea, never bring just one gun. The Crest of Dakaria...lets him talk with his siblings? Well...okay. Guess that could be useful if you're out tracking people. And it...holds...his soul? Huh? So if it breaks, he dies? And he's carrying it around on his neck? I think that needs a bit more of an explaination.

Now...oh god. You still have a katana. And it's still called Chaos Hate. Hello palm, I would like you to meet face. Please...please, why do you need a katana of all things?! And now...jeez...no. No. Predator escape potions are godmodding to the extreme. Godmodding. And how are you running around with twenty of those strapped to you?! Trust me - there is no such thing as a predator escape potion. You were scammed. Bring granola bars and water instead. Keep yourself hydrated, keep yourself aware.

And....theme song?! What?! I don't...huh? He's not a cartoon. He's not a professional wrestler. Maybe you like that song. Cool. But...what the..theme song?! Sorry, I am stumped on the nature of that one.

Okay, what you do need is a bit more on the personality, but you are on a better track here now. We have a Bounty Hunter, fairly rough with fighting, gambling, womanizing. Also loves the planet and writes poetry. Hmm, a real bushwacker then. With just that I'm starting to get a better picture. Keep at it - I'd ignore the siblings part for now. Keep building up this character. A character needs to be unique enough to offer a new facet to Felarya. A bounty hunter does have potential - this is my opinion, but I think a bounty hunter hunting humans would be more interesting than one hunting predators - not to say he wouldn't occaisonally, but it would be sort of odd if someone started putting out bounties on predators. It would be an interesting view of Felarya of someone tracking other people who are being probably tracked by predators and is open for potential - especially if he has a bit of a jerk and money loving side to him. And hey, if he gambles, he'll always want money.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 11:39 pm

If you'd like an example of a human character who's able to survive in Felarya using only his wits and fairly simple equipment (rather than big guns and magic potions), take a look at Shouhda's character Jack:
http://shouhda.deviantart.com/gallery/

Jack's background story is still mysterious, but his personality is interesting and believable. He's smart, and he's an original character. He's a survivor, but not a cold or angsty killing machine. You might get a few ideas from him; he's pretty much the epitome of a "survivor character" well suited to Felarya. He blends into the world without messing it up. Don't just copy him, though.
Back to top Go down
Whiteagle
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Whiteagle

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 11:47 pm

rcs619 wrote:

Yadda yadda yadda...great evil force...epic battle with darkness...something happens...family dies...portal is opened...our hero lands on an alien world with amnesia and he then commences to wandering said world. I can't help but feel like I've heard all this before in so many animes and videogames...
Yes... like a Role Playing Game made from a Turn Based Strategy game...
L'Ryn wrote:
CHANGE YOUR AVATAR. I MEAN, SHEESH. CHANGE IT.

Otherwise, maybe have an original character design?
Seriously... was it Haken Browning before or has it always been Alt Eisen Nacht and Weiss Ritter Abend?

While Feadraug has already pointed at this, I'll tell you again that this guy is a carbon copy of a Character from a Super Robot Wars game.
(Like his theme being Trombe!!! wasn't a clue...)
Now I'm not one to say Expies are bad (I Re-envisioned Gundam the other day when inspired in my search for information on two of my own), but this is worst then a recolor...
Its' near abouts the EXACT same character... with the names changed to protect the innocent!!!
Now yes Gab, I do know that you did add your own original story TO the Haken Browning template... but it is EXTREAMLY lack luster...
This would be excusable as a newbie mistake... except you went the extra step and use the picture of the supporting main (Since Saya isn't in Endless Frontier to my knowledge) cast (from another game) as the basis for the FAMILY!!!
Which leaves us to question what family has girls who are were-foxes...
And who is the second brother who is never named?
...And what were the parents doing that got them declared Kill in Action?

Making a Character based on someone else's character artwork is... fail...
Making a family of Characters based on Namco x Capcom/Endless Frontier character artwork and NOT including KOS-MOS...
*Hurls a large sphere of Plasma at Gab.*
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 11:55 am

Hum just to make a thing clear : There IS a feud between nagas and dridders.
I don't know where the rumor that it will be canceled/changed soon come from but this is in any case a false one.

However , labelling Dridders as some sort of de facto villains is indeed a stererotype, yes.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Well, at least it's clear now. Thanks, Karbo.

Still, the whole dridder hunter ideas was still bad due to that stereotype of the evil dridder.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 3:01 pm

There's a world of difference between a feud and a war. And it tends to be blown insanely out of proportion in virtually every instance it's brought up.
What we have is something at the very most being equal to the Hatfields and the McCoys, and it's being escalated into a hypothetical war between two different Nazi empires.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Karbo wrote:
Hum just to make a thing clear : There IS a feud between nagas and dridders.
I don't know where the rumor that it will be canceled/changed soon come from but this is in any case a false one.

However , labelling Dridders as some sort of de facto villains is indeed a stererotype, yes.

Well, there is a huge difference between a feud and a war. I just think it needs to be clarified. I see it as more of a bit of bad blood between them, or some kind of rivalry...probably caused by something from their past interactions.

Nagas don't kill dridders on sight, and Dridders don't exclusively kill nagas. Some of them aren't fond of eachother...but its not some kind of ultra-racist, violent, constant hate between the two species (like SOME people tend to think).

I just think the whole naga/dridder rivalry has gotten so overblown and exaggerated that it really needs to be re-tooled and clarified.
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 3:33 pm

I've just seen Karbo's amended the wording on the wiki. It looks much better now, and should hopefully clarify matters.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 3:45 pm

It's between the two.
Clearly more than just bad blood : for example it would be suicidal for a naga to venture in the dridder forest under normal circumstances.
But it's not some sort of total-genocidal-war either.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Gabriel115
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Gabriel115

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 3:46 pm

Otherwise, maybe have an original character design?[/quote]
Seriously... was it Haken Browning before or has it always been Alt Eisen Nacht and Weiss Ritter Abend?

While Feadraug has already pointed at this, I'll tell you again that this guy is a carbon copy of a Character from a Super Robot Wars game.
(Like his theme being Trombe!!! wasn't a clue...)
Now I'm not one to say Expies are bad (I Re-envisioned Gundam the other day when inspired in my search for information on two of my own), but this is worst then a recolor...
Its' near abouts the EXACT same character... with the names changed to protect the innocent!!!
Now yes Gab, I do know that you did add your own original story TO the Haken Browning template... but it is EXTREAMLY lack luster...
This would be excusable as a newbie mistake... except you went the extra step and use the picture of the supporting main (Since Saya isn't in Endless Frontier to my knowledge) cast (from another game) as the basis for the FAMILY!!!
Which leaves us to question what family has girls who are were-foxes...
And who is the second brother who is never named?
...And what were the parents doing that got them declared Kill in Action?

Making a Character based on someone else's character artwork is... fail...
Making a family of Characters based on Namco x Capcom/Endless Frontier character artwork and NOT including KOS-MOS...
*Hurls a large sphere of Plasma at Gab.*[/quote]
at least some one here plays the game, but the resion i picked hakenis because i cant uploade my pictures oto the internet and he is most similer to my styel of character

Last edited by Gabriel115 on Tue May 19, 2009 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Talos (my main character)   Gabriel Talos (my main character) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gabriel Talos (my main character)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next