Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community

Go down 
+12
Sillysausage
Archmage_Bael
lami
FalconJudge
KingdomKeyX
Feadraug
Karbo
zalzas
Silent_eric
rcs619
Malahite
Anime-Junkie
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Empty
PostSubject: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 9:11 am

This is an issue which I believe must be addressed. The following is an IRC chat log on the topic.
Sorry if I seem to be singling out anyone in particular.
Spoiler:
The community must do something about this. If you have anything to add, please post. If you disagree, don't flame, just say so and specify and points.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixing Tags, minor edits.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 9:42 am

Pretty big talk from some people who haven't logged on since June and March. They seem to have missed the critique people have been getting for their characters in the devoted section. Same goes for "Stagnation" where we've had several threads go up to multiple pages with ideas for Felarya (the Magic Thread, Underwater City, Cold Area, multiple Elemental Threads, the Human Variations thread, Silent Eric's Zany Ideas thread...).

The only "stagnation" I'd say is the decline in stories: Ideas are growing for Felarya, but I'm seeing less new submissions when it comes to stories.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 10:10 am

Malahite wrote:
Pretty big talk from some people who haven't logged on since June and March. They seem to have missed the critique people have been getting for their characters in the devoted section. Same goes for "Stagnation" where we've had several threads go up to multiple pages with ideas for Felarya (the Magic Thread, Underwater City, Cold Area, multiple Elemental Threads, the Human Variations thread, Silent Eric's Zany Ideas thread...).

The only "stagnation" I'd say is the decline in stories: Ideas are growing for Felarya, but I'm seeing less new submissions when it comes to stories.

I have to agree with Mal there. The forum is decently active. There are active threads everyday. I do think there's been a shortage of stories lately though. I know a few of us have been having issues/slumps/drama/etc, but all that seems to be working itself out.

We just need more stories. The older crowd isn't as active anymore. Ravana rarely posts anymore, same with Randomdude...and even Zoekin isn't writing as much (he seems to be getting back into writing though. YAY ^^). I know Terra still has her writer's block, and is focusing more on drawing. Casey is moving at his usual slow pace with writing (but considering the final product, its worth the wait). Zalzas hasn't put up a story in a while, and I know I've been in a 5 month slump due to real life issues (which thankfully have worked themselves out).

Everyone just has to get back into their groove. I know Im trying to. The community isn't dead though. Personally, I think the season may have something to do with it. I know in the US, its been summer. People are working and spending time with family. I imagine things will pick up as school starts back up and everyone has a little more free time.

So hush with all this doom and gloom. If you're worried about the community, do something to help fix it.

If anything, Felarya is in the best shape as a world it's been in yet. There are a lot more characters with interesting backstories and depth, new areas, animals and concepts are being brought up and added, the manga is finally giving a clear view of how Felarya really is, and all traces of "Crisis and Scarecrow" have been removed. We can finally put the dark days behind us.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 11:45 am

Malahite wrote:
multiple pages with ideas for Felarya (the Magic Thread, Underwater City, Cold Area, multiple Elemental Threads, the Human Variations thread, Silent Eric's Zany Ideas thread...).

I am aglow with pride.

Anyway of course we aren't stagnating! Felarya has several pioneers, setting ablaze the trails through Felarya. Discovering new frontiers, researching specie, and how the nature of Felarya itself. Hell, I've been working with Karbo himself on several ideas, so many ideas that I've forgotten more than most members have had!

But that sounds kinda prideful doesn't it? I'm in no way doing everything, Mal, Jætte, Fish, Reptillian, even Karbo have been working hard just as hard, probably harder than me. Felarya isn't dying. It's not growing quite as fast maybe, but it's being refined. Filling in cracks, polishing the surface, Felarya is fine.

But anyway, who cares about facts, when I can just poke fun at what those people I've never met, nor seen them post said.

What is a 'vore power'? Who are the newcomers who only want sex and vore? What exactly is 'canon progression?' Since when do stories get promoted to canon? What's that about Karbo's intentions? The point of this forum is for fans to help develop the setting. What's that about what he's doing? Do you see the work he does on the wiki? How can the three of you say things about him, and the work put into Felarya, when none of you have read the manga?!

Okay, Let me calm down for a second. It's just, work is being done. I look at the recent changes in the wiki every day. Things are added and fixed. Not everything is. There is no real story to Felarya. There's no history. Felarya exists. It's timeless in my opinion. It can always be expanded, and there are people who continually do so. There are also people on here who, although they don't have ideas of their own, enjoy other's ideas, and use this setting as their own playground. Which is fine. It's what it's for.

In a word, Everything is Fine.

Jeeze, I went from Proud, to Pride, to calm, to upset, to upsetter, to cool. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 11:56 am

Malahite wrote:
Pretty big talk from some people who haven't logged on since June and March.
KindomKeyX agrees with this so it's not just them.

rcs619 wrote:
So hush with all this doom and gloom. If you're worried about the community, do something to help fix it.
I am. Bringing it to attention so it can be fixed

Silent_Eric wrote:
What is a 'vore power'? Who are the newcomers who only want sex and vore?
Vore power: A power or ability, magical or otherwise tht enables vore. Example: Fairy shrinking magic.

I'm glad to see that people believe that it's not happening.
But there are people who do. If I was the only one i would have dismissed it as just another symtom of deperession.
Spoiler:

Maybe stagnation isn't the right word here.
Back to top Go down
zalzas
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
zalzas

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Um...I don't want to sound rude or anything, but who are you guys? I just don't really remember seeing any of you around the forms, or posting ideas, or writing stories, or doing much of anything besides chatting on the IRC. ^^;

As for stagnation, i really don't see why you think that. Karbo just released the second manga a few weeks ago and it was magnificent, filled with beautiful scenery and focused on plot and good storytelling. A lot of effort went into making it, and it really helps set the tone for Felarya.

I don't understand what your really expecting to change with Felarya. we have new little ideas posted almost everyday, the wiki is updated very frequently, and most of the people on the forms have a focus of coming up with good and balanced ideas and characters. what more are you expecting?

things may be slow at times, but i don't think they have stagnated.
Back to top Go down
http://zalzas.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 2:27 pm

I admit I'm a bit taken aback by this post and log ^^;

I just don't have this impression at all. It's true less brand new material , such a new race or a new location, are being implemented right now, because I've switched the focus to more fleshing out what already exist for the time being, such as developping mechanics of the world, lore/ history and so on... but progress is definitely being made and the world looks more coherent than it was even a few months ago...

There is also two tomes of a manga on it, and maybe a game that will come at a point... Overall I ihave not the feeling of Felarya stagnating or rotting at all personnaly...
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 2:38 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:

Silent_Eric wrote:
What is a 'vore power'? Who are the newcomers who only want sex and vore?
Vore power: A power or ability, magical or otherwise tht enables vore. Example: Fairy shrinking magic.

But wait. That's a magic ability that only fairies have. It's one Karbo came up with. What fan made ones are you talking about? I can't think of any.

Anime-Junkie wrote:

[05:09] <Nadiel> Ah yes, I saw that. There is a respectable amount of activity on the forums, but the problem is that the most that it ends up contributing to the canon universe is a detail or two every now and then. Karbo himself ought to be more active and make some new contributions for pete's sake.
[05:10] <Kid_Daejien> I read through it
[05:10] <Nadiel> That's what happened 2 years ago and got the community going, and it ought to happen again.

Wha? F*%@ no! Aw hell naw! That Nadiel guy has no idea what he's talking about. Saying Karbo should be more active, f*%@ that. He does plenty.

11 August 2009.
Spoiler:

This is what he did, himself. These are his original ideas. He didn't use any of ours. I asked for a little bit of clarification on how the eye works. You can see he did that, and then proceeded to ROCK THE WIKI with dozens more additions. Nadiel doesn't know what he is talking about and should kindly shut the f*%@ up.

Pardon my language.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 4:06 pm

The canon has progressed in that there are more entries on the Wiki made by Karbo and he has published two tomes as well. So there is some progress. Maybe disappointment because it isn't the progress expected? Maybe. And it's understandable.

Myself, I tried to give some ideas. I had ideas for some sizeshifting race and for some sentient fungi, but I had been developing them for so long by myself and discarding so many things that in the end I thought they wouldn't fit in Felarya. Also, I have been more focused on characters and stories.

Also, myself I'm not pissed off because nothing I've done is canon. Who cares if it is or it isn't? We like to make some things, discuss them with the rest of the people here and they will or not like it. But it isn't like "hey, X has his ideas on the Wiki and I don't. Damn you, Karbo!" all the time. So what if none of my characters is on the Wiki? It'd be nice, but I'm not begging for that happening. The creator of Felarya - that's it, Karbo - has the last word in whatever enters or is out. We can't go around telling him to include everything.

Also, if something I make is shallow or crappy or plain stupid, just let me know! I'm always looking forward to opinions and impriving, fellas. Razz

And which vore powers are we talking about? I'm aware fairies have this shrink magic, but that came with them from the first time. And I'm sure none of my characters has 'vore powers' (what? test of tasters a vore power? more like a very sensitive tongue, I'd dare to say :V).

Malahite wrote:

This reminds me I have to finish the second part of Nanda's story. xD But yes, I see there aren't as many stories as before, but still there is some pretty good material to dig when it comes to stories, either here or over DA.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
KingdomKeyX
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
KingdomKeyX

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 4:11 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Malahite wrote:
Pretty big talk from some people who haven't logged on since June and March.
KindomKeyX agrees with this so it's not just them.

Actually reading everyone elses posts on this topic, I am starting to have second thoughts about what I said....then again I suck at making my own opinions until I get a decent explanation of things....and the fact that I was half asleep. Also I kinda wanted to let you know that I was referring to some of the uncreative characters. Not the whole community...sorry I wasn't clear AJ

But still I am having trouble on which side is correct..

Edit: Had to fix that explanation up

Last edited by KingdomKeyX on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:55 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 4:23 pm

Er, I know how that works... My head is constantly swirling with ideas, but I have yet to write one story. Even one.

But the forums, either one, are not dead. Karbo has added new ideas that are completely off the wall to the wiki. (Felarya Park) The community can't be stagnating that much, since Karbo is paying such attention to us.

One complaint, though: For days or weeks, there has been a spammer/spambot on the off-topic forums of the other sight. So far, no one has caught him/it...
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 4:52 pm

I've never been interested in the fan development of ideas and a living canon, it can only develop into a cluster fuck if unchecked, quite honestly, I think the felaryan manga can do a fine job of expanding the world, i never saw a need to have everyone need to put in all their little ideas, the stagnation of the community in my opinion, comes not from this itself, but from the fact that with the exception of adding even moar new ideas, no one starts interesting discussion here,

its not surprising that a small voreish community with only slight fantasy appeal would reach a limit of people though,
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 4:57 pm

yeah that bot is pissing me off, i dont want advertisements on a forum like that.

anyway, when i first read that conversation i was nodding my head to some things, but the vore powers i'd have to think about, after all, wasn't this world originally created for vore? it has such potential now that we need SHOULD try and expand it.

karbo IS doing a lot, he has spent time reading my two stories and leaving helpful comments on them, which I greatly appreciate. Especially because I'm not as well known as I'd like to be.

People (in general) tend to focus on the negative and it leaves a bigger impression. I always hear people talking about how a history for felarya exists in many other places on DA and here on the forum, if its true it REALLY needs to be consolidated somewhere because I don't see much of it anywhere.

p.s. - As for my writing block, I am somewhat busy with trying to get a job, and ideas for a story arc for my main characters coupled with drawing pictures of them to use as my avatar. I hope to expand soon.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 11:45 pm

I wasn't in a good way when I wrote that. I see now that some of what I wrote is BS.
If you look at the start of that chat log you can see what started it; Mangamastermind leaving.
Macdaddy also left, but fortunately returned. Daejien has effectively left too. Why is this?
To answer your question zalas, Daejien has actually posted ideas. I also have recently after lurking for a couple of years. The reason is given in the chat log.
_Louis is Sean Okotami. I believe he has made a contribution to the community.
A search on topics or posts will reveal this.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding infomation of _louis aka Sean)
Back to top Go down
Sillysausage
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Sillysausage

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 6:29 am

Derp, I don't feel as though the forum's stagnating too much. Sure, we get shitty Mary-Sues and that sort of thing, but those are generally aborted, or better, improved so they're a halfway decent character. And I personally don't pay much attention to the wiki, other than to look up some races and stuff, but it seems fairy fleshed-out to me.
Back to top Go down
http://ironkitty.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 10:17 pm

i actually use the wiki as a good reference when i decide to write something.

anyhow if mangamastermind has left then there must be some reason right? or are you saying he left for no reason?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 2:19 am

Well his departure is indeed a pitty and a loss for the community as he had nice ideas and a cool character..
But there is many people who leave and join. It happens all the time. (Quantum mechanic, Daimo for example )

And they do so for various reasons : not enough time, loss of interest or interest switching, or even personnal conflit sometimes. Does that means that Felarya is rotting and stagnating away ? I don't think so.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 10:08 am

Well that's just GREAT. The other night I had an idea for a good joke to summarize my thoughts on this matter and here I've gone and forgotten it! Lovely....

Anyway, I don't think the community is stagnating. I think it's always been a breeding pool for corruption, conflict and woe. But then again, the same is true for fandoms and communities everywhere, so it's not a problem we can address, or should even worry about. Communities have their periods of prosperity, of conflict and times where it simply slows to a crawl. It'll pick back up again later, though.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 11:06 am

Uh, if you folks don't like Felarya, well, please feel free to leave. Sure there aren't more stories, but there are still those being created, by those that are maybe just a little quieter on the forum.

(As for me, I do have the start of another Fenja and Grip story - but I've had life drama and such keeping me busy and distracted. Hopefully I'll get round to paying attention to it again. Including this one I have plans for about three more stories... I think I'd like to take them to the Cold Zones to help "explore" that territory more. With a stopover in my own zone, of course. Razz )

So yeah, not so many stories lately. This isn't the end of the world. Plus, saying Karbo isn't working hard is pure crap. And though I would love for things I've thought of to become canon, I understand that it should be a very difficult and selective process, or else the world will just be flooded. I intend to include idea's I've made at some point in my stories... I think putting ideas and characters in stories are the best way to take them from the paper to Felarya.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 1:01 pm

Well ,I don't think Felarya is stagnating. Right now it's just in a bit of a flux. It should clear up. And about Manga, don't worry. He didn't leave. He's just taking a break. I know. He told me in chat. Also, I was working on a new story, but my comp turned upside down in the fish bowl. ;_;
Back to top Go down
Outlaw
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Outlaw

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 5:15 pm

Don't know much about stagnation but for either case complaining won't change much. If you want a flow of new ideas then you should create a project for that purpose. Suppose your seeking to add more develope to an area then make a thread for it. Information to new? Then empthasize that you would like to use existing data. Separate and create the types of categories, you want for whatever it is. Karbo not taking anything ask what he likes or actively seek suggestions to work with the things in Felarya. Unable to get an idea through recreate it and display it in a different way or under a new subject...You see what I'm saying?
Back to top Go down
Sillysausage
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Sillysausage

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 5:19 pm

Come on people, can't we just let this thread die?
Back to top Go down
http://ironkitty.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 11:31 am

It's so funny. In a morbid kind of way. Most people denied what I said in this thread. But look what's happening now, I saw this coming, the lack of ideas, older members leaving or becoming increasingly inactive. I just didn't see that It would lead not to stagnation, but so confrontation, which is worse.

I didn't really say what I wanted to in that chat log. Maybe if I did I would have got he point across better.

We could have averted this or at least made it not so big.

(Sorry to bump this thread up...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community   The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Stagnation of the Felaryan Community
Page 1 of 1