Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Story ideas

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NewMars
Tasty morsel
NewMars

Story ideas Empty
PostSubject: Story ideas   Story ideas Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 12:30 pm

Before I actually start on a story, I'd just like to see how my ideas go over. Sorry if it goes on too long. This is what I have so far.

Neris: A strange species of humanoids, made out of a strange living metal that superficially resembles steel, though is much weaker, but unusually non-conductive. They come from a world with exceptionally strange life: It is all made of various kinds of living metal, and it is all linked in a gigantic and strange soul-network. Unfortunately, all the creatures in this network are under the domain of the god-thing known only as the Other.

While the animals, plants and other life of the world are under its direct control, the Neris themselves only hear it as a voice in their heads. For reasons unknown, the Other has a strange relationship with the Neris, utterly despising them most of the time, trying to sieze control of their body or kill them. Occasionally, if the Other is interested in that Neris, or for some reason doesn't want them to die, it will actually attempt to stop them getting killed, doing anything up to and including temporarially seizing control of them at the cost of losing the ability to influence them for a long while.

Nerid magic is strange, and virtually unknown by other species. It comes in two types: vicissitude, the most common, relies on one of the strange properties of life from their planet: Mutability. The altering of their shape is suprisingly easy. The magic alters the form of themselves or others, and is the basis of their culture. Almost everything they have is made out of the alteration and accelerated growth caused by this strange magic; up to and including their cities. The most skilled practicioners do not resemble humans in the least.

The other, rarer kind is known as Akriata. It can only be practiced by those rare Neris who were born without a connection to the Other. It revolves around the manipulation of the soul network, and is mostly used to cut off animals from the other, aid those who suffer most under it, communications between cities, and can be used to make a mini network controlled by the mage. This usually leads to the most powerful practicioners having extremely alien viewpoints.

A notable thing about their society is that their religions all revolve around the Other, usually pertaining as to what its goals are, what it is exactly, it's relationship with the Neris, ect. They never say anything about the afterlife. The neris are well aware of what happens to their souls after death: they are consumed by the Other. Save for those who practice Akriata, whose fate is unknown.

Despite all this, Neris tend to be suprisingly upbeat. It's probably a product of a culture adapted to their situation. They try to enjoy life as much as possible, because in all likelyhood, they could die or be killed at any time. Intruigingly enough, explorers who have returned from the strange rifts to Felarya that have begun to open up across the world see it as a place they'd rather be. At least the wildlife there won't kill you out of sheer malice. Usually. Not to mention the fact that the life in this new place seems to lie outside the grasp of the Other.
Back to top Go down

Story ideas
Page 1 of 1