Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Race Idea-Sinidrins

Go down 
+2
AisuKaiko
DarkPuppet-guy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DarkPuppet-guy
Naga food
DarkPuppet-guy

Race Idea-Sinidrins Empty
PostSubject: Race Idea-Sinidrins   Race Idea-Sinidrins Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Sinidrins are a hybrid race the exist in deserts, wastelands, and otherwise rugged terrain. They are unusual for one major factor;
The females of the species are essentialy sentiant parasites. The upper half consisting of a female's body, while the lower section is a long, sinewy tendril, and, lacking any real locomation, drag themselves along the ground in search for a host, which is usually in (literally) the males of the species. Without a host, however, they are not a threat to anything any possible prey. In size, if you streched them out from head to the end of the tendril (Which ranges from three feet to six feet), a full grown female can be from twelve feet to eighteen feet long.
The males are drastically different from the females, being titanic, armoured worms, rather than parasites. Teeth aplenty, and with plated body armour that shrugs off both weapons and, interestingly, fire, they are far more aggressive than the calmer females, preferring to actively hunt day and night, tunneling quickly through rock, dirt, and sand. Some have been reportedly large enough to consume a giant naga whole, though their diet also consists of humans, hybrids, and animals alike. Possess a limited intelligence, at best able to plot for an ambush and wait for prey. In length, from end to end, it can range from a mile long to five miles long. In height, they "stand" at fifteen feet to twenty feet long.

In reproduction, as long as the female is attached to a male Sinidrin, it is hermaphroditic, able to impregnegate itself, and later lays the eggs buried into the ground.

When a female has located a suitable host, in the case of the male Sinidrin, she enters the mouth, procedding to attach herself to the tounge, giving her not only greater (and less humiliating) mobility, but also a near complete control of the body, taking possesion of movement of the host and most of it's thoughts (Although extreme trauma or stress will cause her to lose that control). This bonding also allows for the Sinidrin to utalize a much more energy-conserving method of capturing prey; luring.
First, the Sinidrin burrows undergound, leaving only it's mouth barely exposed. It then procedes to fill it's mouth with saliva (Which is surprisingly clean enough to drink) or water gathered from nearby sources. On top of the that, the female extends out of the water as an additional lure. Any weary or thirsty traveler would see not only a refreashing oaisis, but also a topless woman. Two birds, one stone, as they say. It is interesting to note, however, that the prey is allowed to quench their thirst before being devoured whole. It is unsure why, but some suspect that it may simply be a form of a last request.

There are a few ways to keep yourself from being a meal, one of which is to challange your would-be predator to a game of puzzles. Sinidrins love puzzles and other brain-teasers, almost as much as they love glass or crystal jewelry. It is also possible, after either besting their brain or giving an offering (That is accepted, mind you), to sit down and have a conversation with it. Befriending a Sinidrin is rare, but the few that have (One case being a blind man) say that not only have their lives been saved a number of times by the large predator/parasite, but have also found a friend for life.
There is really no point trying any of this with a uncontolled Male however.

------------------------
Alright, this is my first shot at this. I think it's a good idea, but....
That decision lies with others, so do tell me what you think, or if there is something I can change or add.
--------------------------------
Also, I'll try my best to create a concept sketch of the males and females, but I'm really a terrible drawer.
I'll also continue to revise and add the neccesary information for this, but feel free to let me know how I can make this better!
---------------------------------------
Concept sketch here
Race Idea-Sinidrins C:\Users\Colin\Pictures\Adobe\Scanned Photos\2010-01-08-1508-04_edited
https://i.servimg.com/u/f12/14/72/89/08/2010-012.jpg

Last edited by DarkPuppet-guy on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Race Idea-Sinidrins   Race Idea-Sinidrins Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 5:29 pm

So, is the male sentient? It sounds very animalistic, so I'm not sure how puzzles would intrigue it, unless the female has some control over the male. Also, does that relationship result in mating and birth, as well? How does that work?
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
DarkPuppet-guy
Naga food
DarkPuppet-guy

PostSubject: Re: Race Idea-Sinidrins   Race Idea-Sinidrins Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 5:33 pm

The male isn't exactly what you would call sentiant, but it does posses some degree of intelligence. It's the females that are sentiant, and I as I wrote, the female gains a great degree of control of the male.

As for the mating and birth, I still need to work on that bit, but thanks for reminding me about it.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Race Idea-Sinidrins   Race Idea-Sinidrins Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Well, if the female attaches to the male, then the creature is technically hermaphroditic. So it may be able to, as it were, impregnate itself.

And interesting idea. I'd like to see where this one goes.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Race Idea-Sinidrins   Race Idea-Sinidrins Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 1:40 am

I think concept sketches of both genders would be of help here.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Race Idea-Sinidrins   Race Idea-Sinidrins Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 8:27 am

I'm also curious as to size. You mention that it attaches itself to males, but don't give any species other than "prey". Are the things attacking man-sized prey? Do they hunt things smaller than that and slowly move up? Do they attack Giant Predators?

If they predominantly attack any size category smaller than Giant, can they - when eaten - move up and control something larger?

Desert life would probably pose a very heft population limit on the species. Consider, for instance, how well populated the deserts are now. Now consider such without plumbing, possibly even no artificial canals / rivers carrying water to settlements. Most of the few civilizations would probably be along river's edges / underwater springs.

Lastly, how long have they been members of Felarya's ecosystem? This matters because consider the real-world: Water and Parasites. They go hand-in-hand with many people, and they won't drink from a natural spring (unless necessary) in fear of such. As such, while not common for foreigners (How many of you would think "Check for a dead body" immediately after finding an oasis of water in the desert?), it's something that Desert natives might be a bit wary of.

Again, knowing size and what they will / can infect is kinda important. Right now, all we can assume is "Everything", and "Absolute, 100% control".
Back to top Go down
Flare
Survivor
Survivor
Flare

PostSubject: Re: Race Idea-Sinidrins   Race Idea-Sinidrins Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 11:42 am

Almost reminds me of RL angler fish...
Back to top Go down
DarkPuppet-guy
Naga food
DarkPuppet-guy

PostSubject: Re: Race Idea-Sinidrins   Race Idea-Sinidrins Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 2:05 pm

Well, I've given it some revision and updating, so let me know what you think of it now!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Race Idea-Sinidrins   Race Idea-Sinidrins Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Race Idea-Sinidrins
Page 1 of 1