Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)

Go down 
+4
Archmage_Bael
DeviantDiscordian
ZionAtriedes
codaman
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Empty
PostSubject: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 11:03 pm

I put this up to see if anyone had any idea to make communication in the forums... "emotion" wise, a little easier...

heres what i got..

Normal: hello
Yelling: Hello!
whisper: hello...
Sarcastic: hello
Angry: hello
sad:hello...

All i got so far, any suggestions? or your own ideas?
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 1:33 am

This is from our "sarcasm font" conversation, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 1:34 am

ZionAtriedes wrote:
This is from our "sarcasm font" conversation, isn't it?

maybe... and that i was bored and thought.. what the hell...
Back to top Go down
DeviantDiscordian
Hero
Hero
DeviantDiscordian

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 2:45 am

I was under the impression that emoticons were for that purpose. Anger, sadness and such have relevant emoticons.
Yelling is the annoying ALL CAPS people use.
The whispering one makes sense.
It's mostly sarcasm that only ever has a problem being transmitted, largely because people have never bothered with a universal way of indicating it.

I've seen this face used: ; )~
I've seen it put between asterisks, *which people are sure to recognise*
One forum I used to use even had <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags. they put the text in a type of quote box with a black background and red text.
Back to top Go down
http://one---winged---angel.deviantart.com/
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:10 am

well yea, all caps can work for yelling... that is actually easier lol...

but yea, seeing as sarcasm is basically an "angle of saying things.. why not just use this as sarcasm easy and sticks out from the rest, and the bent look does kind of compliment the sentence.

i don't think this could get any worse

geek lol
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 4:55 pm

itallics are easier than doing <sarcasm>/<sarcasm> everytime, so the italics are easier yes. ^^

and deviant discordian...*sigh* never mind. your avatar changing XD your computer must be half filled with crazy pictures.
Back to top Go down
DeviantDiscordian
Hero
Hero
DeviantDiscordian

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:01 pm

I'll agree with the italics.

Archmage_Bael wrote:
and deviant discordian...*sigh* never mind. your avatar changing XD your computer must be half filled with crazy pictures.
I have a specific folder where all my downloaded files go before I sort them. It might say something about the rest of my computer if that one alone has over 500 unsorted pictures. Most of them probably crazy ones. Razz
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:09 pm

...no comment.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 7:08 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
itallics are easier than doing <sarcasm>/<sarcasm> everytime, so the italics are easier yes. ^^

However, italics are often used in literature for accent, emphasis, or to denote thought rather than dialogue (in some cases, telepathy).

Asterisks are usually used in forums to express actions. So, I think those two aren't the best choices.
Back to top Go down
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 7:31 pm

ok, well maybe a change in font is in order... Impact, kinda no, because it doesn't exactly say "im not being serious" infact it kinda speaks the opposite in my eyes...Maybe Comic Sans will work? because the more handwritten look...
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 6:10 am

codaman wrote:
ok, well maybe a change in font is in order... Impact, kinda no, because it doesn't exactly say "im not being serious" infact it kinda speaks the opposite in my eyes...Maybe Comic Sans will work? because the more handwritten look...

I don't know, do any of these words really look like a sarcastic comment? In my opinion regular old <scarcasm> tags are just fine. They make it quite clear what your intended meaning was.

Also, another problem with using fonts is that not every computer user will have access to every type of font. On my computer, the two fonts "Trebuchet MS" and "Verdana" look almost identical. In fact, the blind can't see fonts *at all*, <sarcasm>so using a different font for sarcasm ought to be just fine.</sarcasm>
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:33 am

Well, the blind can't see text at all. XD

I find it funny that the colorblind guy is still saying we need to use COLORS. Or sarcasm tags.
Back to top Go down
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:48 am

Neutral

so... we are really going to be using tags... thats where its going... well personally i can see where that would become the easiest way to do it... but are we really going to be putting in stories? i mean... your reading along and this big sarcasm tag just sticks out like a sore thumb...

O_o ok maybe not fonts because your right some of them are extremely similar, doesn't mean you can't combine a few options we have to make a completely new thing... how do you think we get huge red letters? by using the color red ikn font color and Huge in the font size... 2 individual things...

i may be the laziest one here... but im not too lazy to put to things together to make something...Maybe a change of color is actually in order, and since im hearing the word colorblind somewhere around here... font change and maybe something else could come in handy...
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 1:41 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Well, the blind can't see text at all. XD

I know you are mostly joking, but I've had blind coworkers before, and they use a fancy looking braille "monitor" that sits on their desk and displays the text on their screen. Regular ASCII characters already have braille symbols, so using "<sarcasm>" (all the characters involved are ASCII symbols) tags will not exclude blind people.

codaman wrote:
Neutral

so... we are really going to be using tags... thats where its going... well personally i can see where that would become the easiest way to do it... but are we really going to be putting in stories? i mean... your reading along and this big sarcasm tag just sticks out like a sore thumb...
I wasn't thinking that we would put tags in stories and what not, just forum and chat posts. I mean, we use emoticons ( Very Happy, Embarassed, sobsob, etc.) in forum and chat posts, but we don't put them in stories, so why wouldn't tags be the same way?

(Besides, in stories you can cheat and simply tell the reader that someone is being sarcastic, IE: "Suuurrree", she said sarcastically, "smoking near the giant tree is a GREAT idea.")
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:24 pm

We need a more sarcastic looking emoticon....
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
DeviantDiscordian
Hero
Hero
DeviantDiscordian

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Or we could do the whole "subtle sarcasm" thing.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:59 pm

thats the...er...chaotic way :/ *faceWALL*
Back to top Go down
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 3:08 pm

i don't disagree with the tags and all but who is really going to go like <sarcasm> That would be a great idea... </sarcasm> when they are chatting... im a little too lazy fer that one...
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 3:21 pm

can you create bb codes? if so, then you can have it like [sar]text[/sar] and agree for the text to be visible some way different.
Back to top Go down
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 6:15 pm

O_o i could if i knew what you were talking about... hmmm... give me something to work off on that one and i may just be able to do that...
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 3:14 am

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
I know you are mostly joking, but I've had blind coworkers before, and they use a fancy looking braille "monitor" that sits on their desk and displays the text on their screen. Regular ASCII characters already have braille symbols, so using "<sarcasm>" (all the characters involved are ASCII symbols) tags will not exclude blind people.
I didn't know those existed. Freakin' sweet. Well, belay my last, then.

Yeah, I'd definitely say not in stories. And creating BB code for an existing forum like this, as far as I know, is impossible. And starting a forum from absolute scratch is a PAIN in the PATOOKUS, which no one here is gonna go through.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 4:23 am

Get one of our esteemed programmers here to write a Greasemonkey (JavaScript) script that detects the [sar] [/sar] or <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags and changes the font/colour/etc accordingly.
<sarcasm>They're really gonna have the time to do it.</sarcasm>
We then convert everyone to Firefox and install the script.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 am

O_o sounds like a bit much, besides we haven't decided what kind of font/colour/ect... slow down a bit there speedy...
Back to top Go down
Googlememan
Survivor
Survivor
Googlememan

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 6:06 am

Honey im Pregant
*Kick*
Problem Solved
Back to top Go down
http://DecepticonBarricade.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 6:20 am

I already use Mozilla, myself. Any self-respecting Net-junkie does.

But I doubt everyone will. However, aside from that little detail, I think the idea has merit. I know basic JavaScript, but I doubt it's enough. Plus, I don't even have time to write a new chapter for my story... no, that's not true. I have time. I just feel like doing other things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)   Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Typing "Talking"?? (any ideas for the forum?)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next