Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rules?

Go down 
+2
FalconJudge
Shade1983
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Shade1983
Tasty morsel

Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Rules?   Rules? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 2:25 pm

I am interested in possibly writing some stories set in Felarya, but I was curious if there are any general rules I need to follow in doing so, aside from Karbo's Guidelines on thew New Ideas forum. I mean, I want to do this correctly so that my stories might obtain cannon status, so how does this work?
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules?   Rules? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 4:16 pm

Well, no crossovers to existing media, for one thing.

Also, try not to write just to get in cannon; just make it exceedingly high quality, and let it go from there.

Also, no big changes to the world, like threats that could destroy the world or something...
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules?   Rules? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 4:41 pm

FalconJudge wrote:

Well, I believe there has been some slack with this rule lately, which isn't a bad thing.

I believe it's now "don't blatantly make a crossover just for the sake of it". (I know I've made several crossovers)

I don't know the specifics though. But yeah, follow Falcon's advice and just make the story as high quality as possible. If it gets into Canon, then hoorah. if it doesn't, no worry.

Last edited by Pendragon on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shade1983
Tasty morsel

Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules?   Rules? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 4:45 pm

FalconJudge wrote:

Also, try not to write just to get in cannon; just make it exceedingly high quality, and let it go from there.

Also, no big changes to the world, like threats that could destroy the world or something...

Thank you. I mostly want to write good stories, but the idea that they might get in is additional fun to me. I have a couple specific questions in the meantime.

Is it better to write from a first or third person perspective, or either?

Is it better to post stories here, or DA, or Eka's or any other place?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules?   Rules? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Shade1983 wrote:
Thank you. I mostly want to write good stories, but the idea that they might get in is additional fun to me. I have a couple specific questions in the meantime.

Shade1983 wrote:
Is it better to write from a first or third person perspective, or either?
Depends. Most people write from 3rd. 1st person is good when used well. Otherwise meh.
Shade1983 wrote:
Is it better to post stories here, or DA, or Eka's or any other place?
Post to Eka's if dA won't let you post it there.

Just a few other tips:
When writing pick a tense and stick to it. Past or present tense is best, although I find for some writers that past is usually easier to stick to.

Spell-check is not your friend when it comes to finding errors, I am.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
VenomX3000
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules?   Rules? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 9:40 pm

i know ive gone a bit out of bounds. my bad hahaha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://venomx3000.deviantart.com/
rphb
Helpless prey

Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules?   Rules? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 2:49 pm

The rules in this world are properly the same as the rule in any world; don’t write anything that can change anything.

Felarya is an interesting world and I have some ideas, but any truly interesting story is one that actually can alter a world
The epic fantasy doesn’t become truly epic before the future of the world is at stake. With the deepest respect to Karbo I simply cannot see, how any series writer can work under the restraint that are absolutely necessary.

Last edited by rphb on Tue May 04, 2010 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules?   Rules? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 3:05 pm

rphb, this is not a thread for you to advertise your story. We have threads for that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
rphb
Helpless prey

Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules?   Rules? Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 1:20 am

I didn’t advertise a story; I advertised a suggestion, the entire treat is one long suggestion. I don’t write stories in Felarya because I can’t. The rules are necessary because any writer other then the author need to be restrained from really doing anything. My treat is a suggestion to the author to how the story could be going, a story that would change and threaten the world because: what’s the point in creating a world to begin with, if you won’t try to destroy it afterwards?

Let me explain.
There are four zones to any fantasy world, and all have the same basic structure.
There is the Castle, the farmlands, the forest and the magical world.
The story starts at the farmland, where everything is calm, then you goes trough the forest on your way to the castle. The forest is a wild place and it is here that the plot starts, something happens that change our protagonist or his/her world.
After this point the protagonist goes all the way out to the magical world, where all the normal rules are put on halt, fights the evil dragon and then either succumb or return triumphant to the castle to get the princes and half the kingdom.

The Protagonist in this story is as far as I can tell, Anna; the first event has already taken place; all we need now is the dragon, the beast that threatens the stability of the world. The magical world can be characterized as the stage where even the guardians will fall. This event must occur, because a world isn’t truly alive before it is endangered.

We live in a temporal world; any world is a temporal world that is what makes the world alive, a static world is a dead world. Any author must understand this, if he tries to sustain his world, by making it static, he unavoidably kills it.

I agree with the rules insofar, as only the author can break them, but I also say that he must break them, that it is his duty, if his world is to survive.

Life is destruction, change and creations; only death is without motion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules?   Rules? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rules?
Page 1 of 1