Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Male Mantoid Character

Go down 
+2
Sehoolighan
Archmage_Bael
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Male Mantoid Character Empty
PostSubject: Male Mantoid Character   Male Mantoid Character Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 4:37 pm

this is a new character I made up. Male mantoid- cus we need moar! tell me what you think, I was pretty iffy on the shell colors and such.

Species: Mantoid
Name: Skive
Height: 66 ft
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Dark Green
Skin Color: Relatively Light
Upper Shell Color: Green
Underbelly Shell color: Pale Purple
Legs: Green
Pattern: Brown Splotches

History:

Skive is a naturally sensitive Individual. When he was young he found out how he was fated to end up in the mating cycle. That mating and having kids could end his life was hard for him to take. From then on he was worried for his life when he grew up around the other Mantoids.

Skive ran away when he was just a little older, but way before the time was supposed to move on by himself. He was too nervous around the females and he thought too much about how he could end up. Ever since he has learned survival skills such as cooking, and using his scythid blades to carve wood.

Needless to say he has developed a fear of female predators. However, his fear for other mantoids far outweigh his fear for other predators, and as such he's not used to socializing much. Since he was deprived of social interaction as a child, he finds himself craving it now that he's alone. His desire for company, and his fear of women have created a problem in his life that he's finding difficult to overcome.

Personality:

Skive has developed a desire for fruits and vegetables along with meat. His sensitivity extends to fighting, and will not do so unless seriously hungry. Upon the discovery of a heat rune, he's taught himself to cook. He wont eat humans though because how small they are compared to him, and they are one way he is able to satisfy part of his social need. In addition to his cooking, he also loves children.

remember, suggestions welcome!
Back to top Go down
Sehoolighan
Survivor
Survivor
Sehoolighan

PostSubject: Re: Male Mantoid Character   Male Mantoid Character Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 5:05 pm

As I say again, his fear of female predators would be quite a problem since Felarya is pretty much filled to an extent with them and the cooking trait is a rare one for someone of his... height... and the sharp blades as well could be a problem with making friends anything... bite-sized.
Back to top Go down
http://sehoolighan.deviantart.com/
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: Re: Male Mantoid Character   Male Mantoid Character Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 12:00 am

Sehoolighan wrote:
As I say again, his fear of female predators would be quite a problem since Felarya is pretty much filled to an extent with them
that's not quite right i believe. males and females are equally spread throughout Felarya. we just only see the female. correct me if i'm wrong, but i seem to remember Karbo saying that there is no higher percentage of female preds, he just doesn't want to draw the males that much. Alvar is an exception, being the badass swordsman he is XD
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Male Mantoid Character   Male Mantoid Character Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 12:08 am

He does have quite a dilemma there, I see interesting possibilities for story points.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Male Mantoid Character   Male Mantoid Character Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 1:14 am

I like the general idea of what you're trying to go for...

.....BUT......

As a mantis fan myself.... aAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH.

The sexual cannibalism thing. It grinds my gears man. Sure, its still up for debate, sure, noone knows FOR SURE whether its a scientist obstructionism or not.... but I tend to lean that way. The later studies done with well fed/satiated mantis using cameras and empty rooms have shown repeatedly that several species undergo elaborate courtship dances, and forego sexual cannibalism.

Some of these studies have shown that males with more submissive behavior are more likely to survive and mate with multiple females, so I can understand that perspective. But... argh. Regardless, it bangs up a severe pet peeve to see it introduced that way. Especially from a giant predator in Felarya standpoint... what exactly would they have to gain by sexual cannibalism?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Male Mantoid Character   Male Mantoid Character Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 1:25 am

aethernavale wrote:
I
The sexual cannibalism thing. It grinds my gears man. Sure, its still up for debate, sure, noone knows FOR SURE whether its a scientist obstructionism or not.... but I tend to lean that way. The later studies done with well fed/satiated mantis using cameras and empty rooms have shown repeatedly that several species undergo elaborate courtship dances, and forego sexual cannibalism.

Some of these studies have shown that males with more submissive behavior are more likely to survive and mate with multiple females, so I can understand that perspective. But... argh. Regardless, it bangs up a severe pet peeve to see it introduced that way. Especially from a giant predator in Felarya standpoint... what exactly would they have to gain by sexual cannibalism?
This is an excellent question.
However it is not one to be discussed in this topic. I think making a topic in the Ideas discussion forum would be a good idea as this should be discussed.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Male Mantoid Character   Male Mantoid Character Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 1:49 pm

I was aware of that when I made my character. However, I believe that is how they are in felarya.

Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Male Mantoid Character   Male Mantoid Character Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 7:46 pm

Reptillian wrote:
Sehoolighan wrote:
As I say again, his fear of female predators would be quite a problem since Felarya is pretty much filled to an extent with them
that's not quite right i believe. males and females are equally spread throughout Felarya. we just only see the female. correct me if i'm wrong, but i seem to remember Karbo saying that there is no higher percentage of female preds, he just doesn't want to draw the males that much. Alvar is an exception, being the badass swordsman he is XD

Are you sure? I swear I remember him mentioning someone that there is a higher percentage of female predators overall, at least with quite a few species - not to say there aren't any male preds at all, though.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Male Mantoid Character   Male Mantoid Character Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Are you sure? I swear I remember him mentioning someone that there is a higher percentage of female predators overall, at least with quite a few species - not to say there aren't any male preds at all, though.
Yeah, I thought the same.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Male Mantoid Character   Male Mantoid Character Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 12:55 am

I believe we did establish that the male population among the larger species was fewer because having too many would encourage an over population.

Anyway, are there any other things about my character that people have an opinion on? sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Male Mantoid Character   Male Mantoid Character Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Male Mantoid Character
Page 1 of 1