Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shadow Serpent

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Shadow Serpent Empty
PostSubject: Shadow Serpent   Shadow Serpent Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Threat Level: Moderate to Very High

Size 15' to 30' (standing relatively straight)

Shadow Serpents, also called Shadow Snakes by some, as their names imply, are a race of giant serpentine creatures living in shadows. They are fearsome hunters with the ability to phase through solid surfaces like a ghost through shadows. They have a very large appetite and will feed on anything they sense. They are gifted with a very long range Darkvision, allowing them to see in any type of darkness as perfectly as bright day light, as well as very sensitive thermal detection. They are found in many dark places, mostly dungeons, and a few ones have been reported in the Evernight Forest. Their typical method of hunting is to hide in the shadow and then pop their mouth out when a prey is directly underneath them. Like all snakes, their jaw and anatomy is very stretchy and can swallow preys a bit bigger than them whole. Needless to say, Shadow Serpents are a fearsome danger to any tomb raider.

However, they have one strange trait: their aversion to light. While light magic is their biggest weakness and direct exposure to bright light will blind and daze them, it's not their strange trait. Their level of intelligence seems to fluctuate according to the level of ambient darkness around them. When exposed to ambient day light, they become even dumber than a bag of rocks and will attack anything without any thought process. They are still dangerous, but they become so simple minded, you can just side step and it'll take them a full minute to realize they have missed you. However, the darker it becomes, the more methodical they become, and the more dangerous they are.

Shadow Serpents are CRAWLING (pun intended) everywhere in the Tenebra Maze. In fact, the unnatural darkness make them almost as intelligent as a human, but without the ability to speak, making them extremely dangerous. They are said to be Queen Démechrelle's pets and guardians. In fact, there are a ton of rumors that an entire colony guards the Dark Queen's body dutifully. None of these rumors have been proven or disproven, obviously. Dusk Nymphs have a strange ritual involving Shadow Serpents. It is said that the members of a soon-to-be-formed pack must summon a Shadow Serpent and whoever summoned the biggest one will be the pack leader. If the two biggest are the same size, then whichever summoned the strongest will be the leader.

I thought of incorporating a creature I made in my story. Hope ya'll like it. (Ya'll is copyrighted by Al)
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Shadow Serpent Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadow Serpent   Shadow Serpent Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 2:49 am

it's a nice idea, I loved the part about the level of intelligence according to the darkness Smile
I'm ok to add them if you agree with the disclaimer ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Shadow Serpent Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadow Serpent   Shadow Serpent Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 5:14 am

I agree to the disclaimer
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Shadow Serpent Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadow Serpent   Shadow Serpent Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 6:20 am

I like this idea, so I did a rewrite of the entry.
I've already asked Sean, he's ok with this rewrite, although I left out the part about Dusk Nymphs because they belong to Terra.

Shadow Serpents

Moderate to High (In Tenebra)

Location: Various dungeons and caves, Evernight Forest, Tenebra Maze

Length: 100ft on average

Shadow Serpents, also known as Shadow Snakes are a species of giant serpent like creatures that live in the shadowy parts of Felarya. They are feared hunters as they are able to phase themselves through solid matter like a ghost. In addition to this already fearsome ability, Shadow Serpents are gifted with a keen heat sense and long range “Dark Vision,” an ability that allows them to see in darkness as easily as a human would in full daylight.
Keeping with their serpentine nature, Shadow Serpents have a very flexible jaw and their body is able to stretch to accommodate large meals, although they will only attempt to consume one when they are sure that they are safe as phasing with an expanded stomach can prove difficult.
Their typical hunting method is to hide in shadows and drop down on their prey. Another way that they employ for smaller prey is to hide behind a thin dungeon wall or suchlike and phase through it, snatching the prey when it comes into range on the other side.

However, Shadow Serpents have a weakness. Light is anathema to them, direct exposure to bright light will blind and daze them and Light based magic can be deadly. The strangest thing about this weakness is that their level intelligence appears to directly correlate to the level of darkness. The darker their surroundings, the more methodical and cunning they become. Of course, when exposed to daylight they become nearly as stupid as a Glouteux. That’s not to say they aren’t dangerous in this state, but it becomes much easier to avoid them. A prey can safely sidestep a lunge from a Shadow Serpent in this state as it will take a full minute for the Serpent to realise it has missed.

Shadow Serpents are found in many dark places around Felarya, there have been reports from Evernight Forest and various dungeons and cave systems. They are a real danger to tomb raiders or any adventurer daring enough to venture into the darker realms of Felarya. But they place they come into their true power is the Tenebra Maze. The place is full of them, the unnatural darkness enhancing them so much that their intelligence rivals a human’s (although this doesn’t allow them to speak). Some say that they are Queen Démechrelle's pets and guardians. There are more rumours about them, some saying that a huge colony guards The Dark Queen endlessly. However, these rumours are just that, rumours. Nobody has gotten close enough and lived to prove or disprove them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Shadow Serpent Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadow Serpent   Shadow Serpent Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 6:22 am

Crap! I forgot they have a variety of Dark Breath attacks, like shadow tendrils, dark pulses, shadow blast, black lightning, dark fire. You know, stuff like that. Can you add it to their abilities?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shadow Serpent Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadow Serpent   Shadow Serpent Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shadow Serpent
Page 1 of 1