Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+65
Stabs
Rezec
macdaddy
Lobo
Pim18
asaenvolk
X
space_samurai
PrinnyDood
zersergathant
Black Aquila
Sehoolighan
Black Hole Fragment
Solomon
M19Kamikaze
Tuc135
GREGOLE
Vaderaz
Darkstorm Zero
buddha66667
French snack
Zillachary
thejackle123
Warrior3000
Krisexy26
walkingbyself
luke112
ginbug
Prof.Nekko
Malahite
Malhavoc Shade
Shadeofheave
CauldronBorn24
moonlight-pendent13
JonathanS223
Cowrie
kaitheguy1234
EdgedWeapon
Pendragon
ravaging vixen
gwadahunter2222
Jætte_Troll
Kai Leingod
Salvyrn
timing2
aethernavale
Oldman40k2003
dragonjaj
sparkythechu
MrNobody13
AisuKaiko
Slimetoad
Grave
Archmage_Bael
itsmeyouidiot
codaman
Feadraug
TheLightLost
rcs619
ZionAtriedes
DaNoob13
Shady Knight
Karbo
Anime-Junkie
Jasconius
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
sparkythechu
Survivor
Survivor
sparkythechu

General Q and A - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 6:53 am

I take it that last post opened this up for more questions. Electrically speaking, would a giant hybrid pred have a different electrical resistance than a human? It wouldn't make much sense to me, since their body is made of almost the exact same stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BoltAscendent
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:16 am

Yes, a giant predator has different electrical resistance than a human. That much is certain.

So many things effect resistance in an individual, it's hard to even make a general statement about humans alone.

This link should help you though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:09 am

sparkythechu wrote:
I take it that last post opened this up for more questions. Electrically speaking, would a giant hybrid pred have a different electrical resistance than a human? It wouldn't make much sense to me, since their body is made of almost the exact same stuff.
It depends on what you're trying to apply. Recall that, technically, very small voltages can be lethal, so if you're trying to argue what could technically kill a Giant Predator (or what might stun them), the amount isn't that bad: A taser applied right might even work.

However, if talking about what on average could be expected to reliably stun / drop one, it would change. Biting a power line would still be a very bad choice for a Giant Predator, but it's unlikely a shmuck running up to their tail and firing a taser is going to do anything more than pinch 'em.
Back to top Go down
MrNobody13
Great warrior
Great warrior
MrNobody13

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 10:29 am

Precisely. There's any number of things that dictate how electricity is going to affect the body.

Even with different individuals of the same size, species, ect., there's variation in what will happen. Mass, BMI, nervous system variations, pain threshold, lots of stuff. Most people will just go down right away with a taser, but some can stay up and even move to some degree.

Overall, though, I'd say that a pred's mass is going to negate a taser or similar thing. Might give them an uncomfortable twitch, but little else. However, hitting a major nerve bundle or pathway could give them quite a shock. You'd need really long needles, though.
Back to top Go down
sparkythechu
Survivor
Survivor
sparkythechu

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 am

Well, say we build a positive charge of around 500 Volts next to/on/in a giant pred and an equal negitive charge on the other side and then discharge them through the pred. What happens?
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 pm

sparkythechu wrote:
Well, say we build a positive charge of around 500 Volts next to/on/in a giant pred and an equal negitive charge on the other side and then discharge them through the pred. What happens?

At what amperage?

At zero amps, absolutely nothing happens.
At a very large number of amp, the predator instantly vaporizes, or worse.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 pm

500 volts isn't that much, there are stun guns with 500,000 volts and twice that amount out there, and that wont even kill a human.
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
500 volts isn't that much, there are stun guns with 500,000 volts and twice that amount out there, and that wont even kill a human.

And lightning is several million or even over 100 million volts and that sometimes won't kill a human yet the 240V mains socket which has a current of 13 amps will kill a human. It's not the voltage which does the damage it is the number of amps.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 3:03 pm

watts = amps x volts Razz
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 3:24 pm

A watt is just a measure of power, you can also define watts as joules per second. Without the current the voltage itself can't do much.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 5:57 pm

As a note, Bael, a stun-gun can quite readily kill a human. It shouldn't be labeled "Non-Lethal", technically, but instead "Nowhere Near As Lethal As Option 2".

It's somewhat circumstantial, though. As asked, what's the amperage? Furthermore, are there any other factors to keep in mind? How grounded is the Giant Predator? What position are the arms in? What's the method of delivery for the Volts? Harpooned volts are a bit different than "crackling energy bolts" volts.

Energy transfer is a very tricky subject. Know it right, you can deal with stupid amounts of energy and walk away without any notable harm. Know it poorly, you can take major damage from a small AA battery.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Since that wasn't really specified, we could probably safely assume that it means said target is just standing on the ground, arms to the side, normal posture, the atmosphere isn't too wet or dry (whatever average is).
Back to top Go down
sparkythechu
Survivor
Survivor
sparkythechu

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 10:55 am

OK, I should specify. Charge is inside their hands. We'll kick the charge up to 1000 Volts each. The Amps are determined by Volts divided by resistance, whatever that is. Since the charge and the path are inside the body, I'm guessing it's low. The discharge works like a static discharge and runs through the body. Anything else I'm missing?
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 10:03 pm

As insects are resistant to magic, are they also not healed as well (and/or as quickly) by the healing affect of the soil and water of Felarya?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 11:10 pm

I'd think some are more resistant than others. As for your question... I swear that has been discussed somewhere before, but I can't recall what the result was.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Think, not "thing")
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 3:00 am

As others have stated, it is not voltage that matters but current. More specifically, it's where and for how long current is applied.

0.001 amperes of current across the heart for 1 second can be felt by most humans.

0.01 amperes of current across the heart for 1 second causes involuntary muscle movement.

0.1 amperes of current across the heart for 1 second is capable of causing death.

Where people get confused most often is when they hear that '>30 V can kill'. This is not because of the voltage, but because of the basic electrical laws, specifically E = I * R. In the worst case scenario the resistance of unbroken human skin is said to be around 300 ohms (100 ohms or less for broken skin). Simple math then shows that 30V is lethal - but once again, this 30V must be applied across the heart for >1 second to be considered lethal. The typical resistance of healthy human skin, not wetted, is much much higher (usually in the range of megaohms).

On contact tasers do not break the skin, hence why you don't often see people being injured from those. Ranged tasers however typically do break the skin, though the contact nodes for the application of the electrical charge are very close together so usually unless the shot is to the chest near the heart, once again it is unlikely to cause death. That is not to say that it cannot, but typical current values of tasers are really low and the range of application between the nodes is very short, so it is unlikely to do so as it generally isn't 'across the heart'.

Generally what we see in the electrical generation field is that being hit by 110VAC is a jolt, 220VAC is painful, 450VAC causes severe damage (usually resulting in skin being melted/blown off, occasionally in loss of fingers or the like), and 4160VAC is enough to vaporize a human on contact. It should be noted however that AC, at least in the US, operates at 60Hz which is why it is considered 'more' dangerous since the human nervous system is around this frequency - this is what causes the 'dancing' or 'shuffling' seen by humans touching AC. DC voltage 'hurts more' because it has no frequency and is just a constant application (as someone who has been hit by 220VDC, I can assure you it hurts much more than AC) which results in 'locking up'.

All people are different however, and so your mileage may vary.

Edit: So, also, what we mean to say by all this with the 110/220/etc is that usually people do not die from exposure to those voltages as the current is either not high enough or their skin resistance is high enough to mitigate the shock. Regardless, if someone is exposed to a shock from a voltage source greater or potentially greater than 30V they should still seek medical attention. The other problem with a shock that may not be readily apparent is if the shock caused a disturbance in sinus rhythm of the heart. If so, the person could die in their sleep hours later because they didn't feel the need to seek medical aid and determine whether or not there was other damage.

Edit2: If there are any more errors I don't honestly care. Too tired, probably shouldn't have even tried. I bet I'd screw up the kinetics equations at this point.

Last edited by aethernavale on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:54 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I'm way too tired to be typing this shit up. Mistakes = n!, where n = hours awake.)
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 10:57 am

This just occured to me, but do to the extreme danger of the Tonorion Hive, how have people learned that there is a portal in its deepest chamber and that there is in fact a queen tonorion (with a name for that matter - Q'Tada'x'silath) guarding it?
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Jasconius wrote:
This just occured to me, but do to the extreme danger of the Tonorion Hive, how have people learned that there is a portal in its deepest chamber and that there is in fact a queen tonorion (with a name for that matter - Q'Tada'x'silath) guarding it?

Hmmm, perhaps someone who was too small to be of interest to the Tonorions, or too quick, learned this and told others? Someone like this?

"Maximus "Speedy" Gonzales was a famed neera who was widely known for his blistering running speed. He is most famous for using his incredible speed and minuscule size to explore the deadly Tonorion Hive, greatly expanding our knowledge of that horrible place."

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
itsmeyouidiot
Marauder of the deep jungle
itsmeyouidiot

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 3:58 pm

Hmmm, I just was browsing the TVTropes page for Felarya, and someone edited in this:

Quote :
Crowning Moment Of Funny: Anko's expression when she encounters a Leviathan Mermaid in Tome 4.

I read through the entirety of Tome 4, and I never found anything like this. Does anyone know what this guy is talking about?
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 3:59 pm

There are no Leviathan Mermaids in the manga as of yet.
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
itsmeyouidiot
itsmeyouidiot

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 4:02 pm

Alright then, I'll remove the entry.
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 2:52 pm

About language in Felarya, ok I read the wiki page saying that an ancient magic was cast letting everyone understand each other.

But which species have their own language? Obviously young must learn to speak. Are they BORN understanding what people are saying?

I imagine the magic more or less works like a language converter. That is, anything they hear sounds like their own language. However newborns, not innately knowing any language, would not be able to understand anything.

So back to my first question, has any information been given on the actual languages floating around Felarya? For instance, do nagas speak in some naga language? That goes for many races/cultures in Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 5:01 pm

Hard to say.
The actual mechanism for the spell isn't confirmed, although people have come up their own ideas (Myself included).
In any case, it doesn't matter so much how they speak it as what their written language is, because that doesn't get translated.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Okay, fairy question...

If you completely cut off a fairy's wings, like right at the shoulders...

Will they grow back? If so, how long would it take for them to heal enough for the fairy to regain its power?
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 5:10 pm

AisuKaiko wrote:
Okay, fairy question...

If you completely cut off a fairy's wings, like right at the shoulders...

Will they grow back? If so, how long would it take for them to heal enough for the fairy to regain its power?

I don't think there is a set amount of time. I think its been estimated to be somewhere between a few days and a little over a week. Either way, it is a decent chunk of time to essentially be rendered human.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 17 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next