Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya Cosmology thread

Go down 
+3
Feadraug
Cypress
MukatKiKaarn
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MukatKiKaarn
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
MukatKiKaarn

Felarya Cosmology thread Empty
PostSubject: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 12:18 pm

This thread is about the structure of Felarya as a universe, and how it relates and connects to other worlds. I'm sure that others have tried to puzzle out just how Felarya is the way it is-- from the outside, mostly, as there really isn't much time to work on it from within.
Back to top Go down
http://mukatkikaarn.deviantart.com
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 12:54 pm

I believe that part of it is that Felarya acts as a type of interdimensional crossroads. I have a few theories myself actually. for one, I don't think Felarya actually exists in a dimension, but rather is a space outside of space floating int eh ethereall between dimensions. further that the planet its self was not formed via a star, but instead is a accretions of so much interdenominational matter falling into empty space.... entropy did the rest. following this theory we can understand why there are so many ruins so far beneath the surface... it used to be the surface down there^^

my 2 cents anyway >.>
Back to top Go down
http://wowandwas.deviantart.com
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 1:07 pm

As WOWandWAS, I've always thought of Felarya as a nexus between dimensions and Universes. In fact, I'm sure many worlds have their links with this interdimensional space, but only some circunstances can open rifts that lead to Felarya.

In fact, for a story I'm planning - I mentioned it before in another thread -, I plan to use this theory of the nexus and also a way to open portals to Felarya... even if it is by accident. xD
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 1:12 pm

Felarya is an oddity indeed. It is a world outside of the universe of dimensions, yet is a dimension in itself.

But what we can all agree on is that it's awesome.

When clothing is optional, or even rare, then that universe gets a big thumbs up from me!
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 3:07 pm

Within the context of this fantasy world, I don't see dimensions as nexuses in a vast interlocking web. This theory, as popular as it may be, implies that each dimension occupies a static place in the multiverse-if they didn't, then the "web" would fall apart. The other problem with this theory is one of infinite regression-What holds these dimensions together? How many paths are there-in others, how many ways can you get from point A to point B? And how do we account for errant nexuses, such as Felarya?

The final question poses what I call "The Felarya Paradox"-how errant and unstable dimensions change places on the web, merge with other nexuses, or even exist outside the web.

I propose, rather, that dimensions are not a series of points in a web-rather, they are a collection of oscillating signals-each signal possessing a unique frequency. Most dimensions possess a stable, unchanging frequency-occupying it's own place on the scale, not interfering with other universes, much like how each radio station has its own frequency.

However, some dimensions have a constantly varying frequency-under this theory, Felarya is one such dimension. And, sometimes, this dimension temporally merges with another dimension.

Thusly, dimensional travel involves tuning into the frequency of a desired dimension. A stable connection with Felarya requires that a two way gate be established upon arrival-so that, no matter where Felarya is, you are always able to go too and fro.
Back to top Go down
http://militant-prey.deviantart.com/
MukatKiKaarn
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
MukatKiKaarn

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 4:39 pm

Militant-Prey, I think your closest to the way I understood the world as working... I do a lot of writing with quantum worlds, so I keep trying to understand how a world like Felarya can fit in such a reality.

I have a theory of multiverses that my fiancee and I have put together for the story world that we usually work in... Essentially, all universes exist in a 'space' that is referred to as the Nexus. I describe it as being like an infinitely large and deep sea, with worlds and universes floating in it like bubbles. Although, the Nexus isn't so much a space as a mathematical set, but you get the idea.

So, its not necessary that worlds be connected (my mind just went to somewhere between Timeline and Kingdom Hearts... damnit!) or static and locked in place in relation to one another. They move mostly in regular motions in relation to one another, so that some universes only connect to a certain number of other universes. To get to another universe that isn't 'near' yours, you'd have to jump across several.

That said, something like Felarya could be moving around chaotically though the Nexus, very rapidly changing what universes it connects to. That would explain why it so haphazardly connects to other worlds, and maybe even why it sometimes 'grabs' pieces of those worlds-- reality becomes so unstable in the connection that stuff gets shuffled around and never makes its way back.

The reason I can't see Felarya as being a Nexus itself is that, if it were a junction between worlds on its own, it would be a summation of everything in all those worlds. Going back to math (ugh, right?) it works like a Ven Diagram. Each circle is a different universe, and the intersection would be Felarya.

But Felarya has a pretty specific environment that is native to itself, as far as we know. It has absorbed things from other worlds, but to the best of our knowledge, there is stuff and terain there that is native to Felarya.

In my stories, the city that I use as a hub between realities, the extra-universal ether between worlds, manifests as a city called Crossroads. Crossroads is painfully unstable, to the point where its governing corporation uses a massive supercomputer to enforce one model for reality (well, that's what they tell themselves to keep from going crazy with what really maintains Nexus). Without it, consensus reality would take over, and whatever everyone was willing to believe would happen. If you thought you could fly, you would, as long as enough people watching you thought you might be able to.

The 'rules' in Felarya seem a little more stable than that, so either Felarya is a universe unto itself, bouncing around like a ping-pong ball through the Nexus, or the Guardians do a heckuva job keeping everything stable. Which is entirely possibility... I'm just spewing theory. You guys write this stuff. Razz
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 5:23 pm

MukatKiKaarn wrote:
Militant-Prey, I think your closest to the way I understood the world as working... I do a lot of writing with quantum worlds, so I keep trying to understand how a world like Felarya can fit in such a reality.

I have a theory of multiverses that my fiancee and I have put together for the story world that we usually work in... Essentially, all universes exist in a 'space' that is referred to as the Nexus. I describe it as being like an infinitely large and deep sea, with worlds and universes floating in it like bubbles. Although, the Nexus isn't so much a space as a mathematical set, but you get the idea.

So, its not necessary that worlds be connected (my mind just went to somewhere between Timeline and Kingdom Hearts... damnit!) or static and locked in place in relation to one another. They move mostly in regular motions in relation to one another, so that some universes only connect to a certain number of other universes. To get to another universe that isn't 'near' yours, you'd have to jump across several.

That said, something like Felarya could be moving around chaotically though the Nexus, very rapidly changing what universes it connects to. That would explain why it so haphazardly connects to other worlds, and maybe even why it sometimes 'grabs' pieces of those worlds-- reality becomes so unstable in the connection that stuff gets shuffled around and never makes its way back.

The reason I can't see Felarya as being a Nexus itself is that, if it were a junction between worlds on its own, it would be a summation of everything in all those worlds. Going back to math (ugh, right?) it works like a Ven Diagram. Each circle is a different universe, and the intersection would be Felarya.

But Felarya has a pretty specific environment that is native to itself, as far as we know. It has absorbed things from other worlds, but to the best of our knowledge, there is stuff and terain there that is native to Felarya.

In my stories, the city that I use as a hub between realities, the extra-universal ether between worlds, manifests as a city called Crossroads. Crossroads is painfully unstable, to the point where its governing corporation uses a massive supercomputer to enforce one model for reality (well, that's what they tell themselves to keep from going crazy with what really maintains Nexus). Without it, consensus reality would take over, and whatever everyone was willing to believe would happen. If you thought you could fly, you would, as long as enough people watching you thought you might be able to.

The 'rules' in Felarya seem a little more stable than that, so either Felarya is a universe unto itself, bouncing around like a ping-pong ball through the Nexus, or the Guardians do a heckuva job keeping everything stable. Which is entirely possibility... I'm just spewing theory. You guys write this stuff. Razz

I think you're dead on about how this all works-only difference is that you gave a more vivid, holistic depiction. I was using the much maligned reductionist approach-narrowing it down to the behavior of electrons-call it trying to localize quantum physics, something that would win me a Nobel Prize. ^^;

While that is said to be impossible, the only way I picture dimensional travel being accomplished is if a scientist understood it at a detailed levell, as well as the macroscopic level-in short, to comprehend the tiny details as well as the big picture.

As for the insanity aspect, that's just the result of using omniscience as the standard of knowledge-the reason to take a scientific approach is because one is not omniscient. Just take it one step at a time, and remember these certainties:

You may not know everything, but what you know is what you know.

You may not learn everything, but what you learn is what you learn.

Well, as for spouting theory, that's the whole purpose of this thread silly. Razz
Back to top Go down
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 5:58 pm

quite right. i was being a bit laments in my theory earlier... and i never said web DX "Harmonic resonance" is what i generally mean when talking about dimensions, but i do try to keep my mind open on it. especially since it strikes a cord (sorry) with string theory... something that is still barely a theory.
Back to top Go down
MukatKiKaarn
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
MukatKiKaarn

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 6:28 pm

Cypress wrote:
quite right. i was being a bit laments in my theory earlier... and i never said web DX "Harmonic resonance" is what i generally mean when talking about dimensions, but i do try to keep my mind open on it. especially since it strikes a cord (sorry) with string theory... something that is still barely a theory.

I do like your idea that Felarya is building up onto itself, though... if the world doesn't have any boundaries, then it could do that conceivably forever. Plus, it would open the world to subterranian civilizations that are living in the ruins, which would be pretty neat.

The holistic approach is really the only one I can take, as I only really have a passing understanding on quantum mechanics-- the bits of it I picked up from astronomy and physics. Plus, it's been a while since I've read much of anything on the topic, so I'm probably behind on how the theory stands now. Didn't string theory fall out of favor some time ago? I kind of remember hearing about that, and being annoyed.
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 7:01 pm

MukatKiKaarn wrote:
Cypress wrote:

I do like your idea that Felarya is building up onto itself, though... if the world doesn't have any boundaries, then it could do that conceivably forever. Plus, it would open the world to subterranian civilizations that are living in the ruins, which would be pretty neat.

The holistic approach is really the only one I can take, as I only really have a passing understanding on quantum mechanics-- the bits of it I picked up from astronomy and physics. Plus, it's been a while since I've read much of anything on the topic, so I'm probably behind on how the theory stands now. Didn't string theory fall out of favor some time ago? I kind of remember hearing about that, and being annoyed.

Nothing wrong with holistic approach, in of itself-it's true that the big picture is important, but the big picture would be nothing without the details that make it up.

That being said, I don't claim to be a quantum physicist-I think you know more than I do, to be frank.

The thing of it is though, some parts of quantum and cosmology irk me-however, I plan to read up on it in order to understand it better, in order to see if my irritation is even justified. Physical evidence has been discovered for some cosmological theories, so maybe there is something to it...
Back to top Go down
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 8:47 pm

MukatKiKaarn wrote:
Plus, it's been a while since I've read much of anything on the topic, so I'm probably behind on how the theory stands now. Didn't string theory fall out of favor some time ago? I kind of remember hearing about that, and being annoyed.

i believe the problem was that they had a bunch of neet ideas with little basis and no way to verify them. it is a bit romantic a concept if you think of it... little strings playing the melody of the universe... but more fundamentally they had no real recourse of setting up experiments to verify or deny any of the theory... making it essentially a lot of wishful thinking and what if talk... (this is an oversimplification obviously XD)
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 7:17 am

Some very interesting theory here !
*take notes* ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
MukatKiKaarn
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
MukatKiKaarn

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 7:55 am

Militant-Prey wrote:
MukatKiKaarn wrote:
Cypress wrote:

Nothing wrong with holistic approach, in of itself-it's true that the big picture is important, but the big picture would be nothing without the details that make it up.

That being said, I don't claim to be a quantum physicist-I think you know more than I do, to be frank.

The thing of it is though, some parts of quantum and cosmology irk me-however, I plan to read up on it in order to understand it better, in order to see if my irritation is even justified. Physical evidence has been discovered for some cosmological theories, so maybe there is something to it...

Well, most of what I know I sort of got in bits and pieces, and partly from fiction, so I make no claim as to how 'hard' any of it is scientifically. Honestly, sometimes, I think I just make stuff up. XD

So, I think this is how we stand right now: (?)
  • Felarya is a universe unto itself, moving amongst other universes in the quantum foam.
  • Felarya moves like an electron through the quantum foam, very rapidly and somewhat chaotically, changing its position relative to other universes at the drop of a hat.
  • The Felarya universe is boundless, and consists of a single world. It is currently unknown how day and night are handled, but it is likely that these are just intrinsic properties of the universe, in that it gets light and dark on a regular basis without there being an actual star that the world orbits around.

So, basically, as Felarya bounces around in the quantum foam, the stuff between universes, it runs into other worlds and connects to them, temporarily. I'm still not sure of a good enough explanation as to why it sometimes 'steals' bits of other worlds.... something about how compatible the two universes are with one another? I dunno, I can't BS it well enough to make it sound plausible. ^^;
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 8:45 am

I see... All of that makes quite sense. Looks like I was being too simplistic when talking about the concept of Felarya itself. Besides that, that theory also deals with the structure of Multiverse itself, and quite fits it perfectly.

Still, the problem would be maybe this 'connection' with other Universes inside the great Multiverse we're supossed to be moving in. Specially in the fact that you may be able to enter Felarya, but will you be able to leave it and return to wherever you're from, exactly return to the same spot you left your world?

That's something I highly doubt, although the chances are there. Very small, but there are.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 8:46 am

MukatKiKaarn wrote:
Militant-Prey wrote:
MukatKiKaarn wrote:
Cypress wrote:

Well, most of what I know I sort of got in bits and pieces, and partly from fiction, so I make no claim as to how 'hard' any of it is scientifically. Honestly, sometimes, I think I just make stuff up. XD

• Felarya is a universe unto itself, moving amongst other universes in the quantum foam.
  • Felarya moves like an electron through the quantum foam, very rapidly and somewhat chaotically, changing its position relative to other universes at the drop of a hat.
  • The Felarya universe is boundless, and consists of a single world. It is currently unknown how day and night are handled, but it is likely that these are just intrinsic properties of the universe, in that it gets light and dark on a regular basis without there being an actual star that the world orbits around.

So, basically, as Felarya bounces around in the quantum foam, the stuff between universes, it runs into other worlds and connects to them, temporarily. I'm still not sure of a good enough explanation as to why it sometimes 'steals' bits of other worlds.... something about how compatible the two universes are with one another? I dunno, I can't BS it well enough to make it sound plausible. ^^;

In regards to taking pieces of other worlds, when it merges with other universes it might take some matter with it when it leaves.

Light and dark...I'd chalk that up to whatever deities are running the place.
Back to top Go down
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 11:48 am

MukatKiKaarn wrote:

I think there might be a problem with the idea that it is traveling through the foam (f only because we shouldn't apply 3 dimensional terms to it) I tend to think that Felarya acts more as a anchor point or eddy in the foam, and it draws and affects those near and far from it.

As for the day/night phenomenon, I sort of hinted to a mechanic in the jungle bowl. I believe that Felarya has tolerances of its connection 'range' to other dimensions. i.e. only habitable planets connect, meaning reasonably similar in atmosphere and composition. this also means more than likely they orbit similar star types. As a further quirk (more than likely a divine or magically tilted) the random connections lining the stratosphere (this assumes the sky is in constant flux like it says in the wiki) correspond to the time of day at the destination. So looking up at noon you may see the sun shift color slightly or change intensity because in fact you are seeing several shift between one another.

This is a function of the random sky concept Karbo talked about (the one where its impossible to bomb felarya). In effect Felarya dynamically borrows the sun form other worlds... same goes for the moon(s) and stars.
Back to top Go down
MukatKiKaarn
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
MukatKiKaarn

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 2:45 pm

Cypress wrote:
MukatKiKaarn wrote:

I think there might be a problem with the idea that it is traveling through the foam (f only because we shouldn't apply 3 dimensional terms to it) I tend to think that Felarya acts more as a anchor point or eddy in the foam, and it draws and affects those near and far from it.

As for the day/night phenomenon, I sort of hinted to a mechanic in the jungle bowl. I believe that Felarya has tolerances of its connection 'range' to other dimensions. i.e. only habitable planets connect, meaning reasonably similar in atmosphere and composition. this also means more than likely they orbit similar star types. As a further quirk (more than likely a divine or magically tilted) the random connections lining the stratosphere (this assumes the sky is in constant flux like it says in the wiki) correspond to the time of day at the destination. So looking up at noon you may see the sun shift color slightly or change intensity because in fact you are seeing several shift between one another.

This is a function of the random sky concept Karbo talked about (the one where its impossible to bomb felarya). In effect Felarya dynamically borrows the sun form other worlds... same goes for the moon(s) and stars.

So it's sort of like a twist in the foam, or the quantum equivalent of a gravity well? As you move closer to Felarya, it becomes more likely that you'll connect to it? That would make sense, unless I'm off again. ^^;

The sky's really cool, and that's a simple solution to the problem. Does Felarya have an atmosphere of its own, or is it borrowing that, too? As it is constantly connected to something, it shouldn't necessarily need one of its own- it could just borrow matter from other universes to supply itself with one. That seems like more of a finer detail, though, and not really something to worry about at the moment.

All of that said... wow, that would make navigation by night a royal pain, wouldn't it? You'd never have a constant sky to base your directions off of, as you'd likely have different stars every night, or maybe even at different times of night. No wonder everyone gets lost.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 11:25 pm

Well the cosmology of the sky is of particular importance to people like Gunther because he relies on the skies for navigation.
Back to top Go down
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 1:44 am

MukatKiKaarn wrote:
So it's sort of like a twist in the foam, or the quantum equivalent of a gravity well? As you move closer to Felarya, it becomes more likely that you'll connect to it? That would make sense, unless I'm off again. ^^;

The sky's really cool, and that's a simple solution to the problem. Does Felarya have an atmosphere of its own, or is it borrowing that, too? As it is constantly connected to something, it shouldn't necessarily need one of its own- it could just borrow matter from other universes to supply itself with one. That seems like more of a finer detail, though, and not really something to worry about at the moment.

All of that said... wow, that would make navigation by night a royal pain, wouldn't it? You'd never have a constant sky to base your directions off of, as you'd likely have different stars every night, or maybe even at different times of night. No wonder everyone gets lost.

hmm i like the gravity well concept... not a 100 percent on it but it works^^ especially if you think that a gravity well affects everything in an infinite distance form it, just in varying intensity's. i tend to envision the foam as having a sort of current to it... not strong just sort of like a natural shift in static equilibrium. and that worlds get nearer and farther and get connected. the closer the more likely its a vanishing land.

I believe felarya has its own atmosphere and that it changes to be the average of its upper echelon barrier. in fact i think that the place where the two atmos meat is often very turbulent... discouraging aircraft escape as well as flying predator hi jinx. the rifts ebb in and out sort of like a film of oil on water. thats actually one of the visual concepts i like when talking about dimensions... oil and water. similar but always separate (and layer-able). thats how Jhon's handy pendant thingy works actually! think about him and his air as a droplet of water, surrounded in a lightly bigger droplet of oil floating about in a wast sphere of water that is flearya....

and yes the stars are likly never the same.... even minute to minute in my estimation... well except for freaky ordained occurrences. like I said i tend to think of it as one of the less random dimensional phenomenon on felarya (occurring in a perfect sphere around a planet at a stable radious o_O). Felarya may have been once a wild anomaly in space time... but its rather organized nowadays in my estimation *looks around to see if karbo has any input* ...perhaps a certain chimera likes it that way?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Cosmology thread   Felarya Cosmology thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya Cosmology thread
Page 1 of 1