Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread

Go down 
+14
Hunter
The Rev
Malahite
nksrocks
melancholy-melody13
Kat
GREGOLE
Cypress
Rythmear
jurodan@gmail.com
R.J
Karbo
Pendragon
Siafu789
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 8:13 am

Are you an armchair biologist and/or botanist? Have you learned (aka imagined) anything new about them? Discovered (aka invented) a new one?

This thread is focused on the Flora and Fauna section of the wiki-discussion, as a way to expand and develop this often overlooked aspect.

So, don't be shy, share your findings-you're amongst your peers here!
Back to top Go down
http://militant-prey.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 9:12 am

Well, I've often seen odd creatures shaped like trees and rocks, but in reality morphed into terrible monsters whenever prey showed itself.

These creatures, when disturbed, sprout a single eye and unleash their multiple rows of sharp teeth.

I'm not sure if these creatures are natural or magical. I guess you could classify them as magical fauna.

I just call them "mimics". Anybody else see these odd creatures?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 10:26 am

This is a great idea !

I can't wait to see what strange species people will dicover Smile
Just be careful, being a biologist or botanist in Felarya is not really a quiet job XD

Last edited by on Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
R.J
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 10:42 am

Pendragon wrote:
Well, I've often seen odd creatures shaped like trees and rocks, but in reality morphed into terrible monsters whenever prey showed itself.

These creatures, when disturbed, sprout a single eye and unleash their multiple rows of sharp teeth.

I'm not sure if these creatures are natural or magical. I guess you could classify them as magical fauna.

I just call them "mimics". Anybody else see these odd creatures?
I see where that is coming from.

A praying mantis mimics a flower, and a certain fish mimics a rock.

@ Karbs: it's not really safe either '-'
Back to top Go down
http://rjw14.deviantart.com
jurodan@gmail.com
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 11:47 am

I'm surprised anyone is foolish enough to take the job. A voracious walking stick would be highly amusing, but somehow I'd guess they'd be edged out by the dryads... *thinks*
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 1:16 pm

Beware of the shadows - that is all I'll say (Umbra)
Back to top Go down
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 6:29 pm

I need to refine the Moon Lilies eventually. probably go into more detail about the various vine and fruits in the bowl as well....
Back to top Go down
http://wowandwas.deviantart.com
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 7:01 pm

Good plan.
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 7:09 pm

Karbo wrote:
This is a great idea !

I can't wait to see what strange species people will dicover Smile
Just be careful, being a biologist or botanist in Felarya is not really a quiet job XD
Well, it's not a "do nothing" job, that's for sure. Wink
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 7:18 pm

*flies in*

Whew. I just encountered the weirdest creature. It was some flying plant pod, armed with several tentacles (typical) and very sharp barbs.

I thought it was peaceful, but it shot seeds at me. Very fast bulletlike seeds to be exact.

When I shot it, it exploded into a shower of acid. It didn't get to me, but the crud below it wasn't so lucky.

That's when the entire flock of em came in....

I don't know what to dub these creatures. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 7:19 pm

Only if you put no effort in.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 7:28 pm

Rythmear wrote:
Only if you put no effort in.

Well, I was thinking "AeroWeeds", as they seem to leech off of other flora, and at times, fauna.

It seems appropriate, but...

wait! What the flying fudge was that?!

I'll get back to you all later. I just barely saw a unique type of Aeroweed over the horizon. It had a "human" physique....
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 8:22 pm

Everything in Felarya seems to be humanoid... we need more vicious beasties!
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 8:35 pm

This might be me speaking of my own taste here, but I think we're a spot short on killer arthropods. I mean, you've got a few nasty bugs here and there, but nothing besides the tonorions really stands out. The mammals, reptiles, fish and birds have oodles of nasties, but the bugs have, again, mainly just the tonorions.

I think we need some sort of memorable wasp, dragonfly or beetle-derived creatures. Perhaps I'll be back with a few ideas later...
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 8:47 pm

I'll see if I can devise some type of awful creature.
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 8:57 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
This might be me speaking of my own taste here, but I think we're a spot short on killer arthropods. I mean, you've got a few nasty bugs here and there, but nothing besides the tonorions really stands out. The mammals, reptiles, fish and birds have oodles of nasties, but the bugs have, again, mainly just the tonorions.

I think we need some sort of memorable wasp, dragonfly or beetle-derived creatures. Perhaps I'll be back with a few ideas later...

Agreed, insects are a bit under-represented.

Go forth, and investigate-I look forward to your findings.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 9:01 pm

I am in the process of writing about something suitably gribbly.
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: How about a giant mosquito?   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 9:01 pm

Yeah, that's right, a Giant Mosquito. 20 feet tall, a mere pest for giants-but a deadly blood sucker to humans.

Drains every last drop of blood. Not very smart, but fast.
Back to top Go down
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 9:07 pm

mosquito.... a bad movie about just that..... I doubt a 20' one would even look at a human for blood really. the body heat and co2 levels would be to low for it to bother.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 9:07 pm

Nah - too obvious.

Or is that a good thing?
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 9:10 pm

WOWandWAS wrote:
mosquito.... a bad movie about just that..... I doubt a 20' one would even look at a human for blood really. the body heat and co2 levels would be to low for it to bother.
Alright, a giant house fly then? They suck up just about anything-plus, they're creepy looking too.
Back to top Go down
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 9:14 pm

gah! that would be grotesquely hideous... as well as a horrible way to go.... to deeper felarya it dwells then ^^
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 9:18 pm

I'm contriving a more... original insect.
Back to top Go down
Kat
Helpless prey
Kat

PostSubject: Fisher plant   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 6:20 am

Well well! In all my wanderings I never thought I'd see anything as strange as this! *beams* For a bowl of cream I'll tell... Oooh! Thanks! *laps up gently*

Hmmm where to begin! Well... I was strolling through the woods... Well... okay prowling, just, peeking about, and being... inquisitive! Yeah yeah... so nosy... that's what people call me... Anyway! I was prowling through the trees and I spotted the most -gorgeous- creature imaginable! dripping as she sat beneath a waterfall of soft grey stone! Well... seeing that anyone could have snuck up and attacked the poor girl... Hmmm I -swear- she was an elf, I kinda... Approached... Quietly... Okay okay I was sneaking, she was reeeaaally gorgeous alright? Well... I got closer, and... Well I couldn't help myself, and I wanted to surprise her, this strange, sweet scent was dancing in my nose, and it smelled so much like her perfume, it was coming from her, and it was sooo nice! Well, I snuck up, and I put my hand on her shoulder, and cleared my throat, she smiled, and turned to me, wrapping me in her arms, I didn't even care about the water! It all felt so nice! And then... that's when I noticed... I was stuck to her! even as she whispered words of love in my ears, the stone walls of the waterfall were closing over! so I tore myself away from her embrace, and boy! did I lose some fur on that one! I think there -still- must be clumps of fur clinging to that beautiful girl, but... as I ran, I turned, and saw her sad face, the walls of stone closing about the girl and a swallowing sound, and then the thing relaxed again, the girl was safe! Unharmed, and singing as she combed out her hair, beneath the waterfall...

*laps up the last of the cream and grins* It was a trapper! Designed to lure in people so it can eat them! *beams* And I got away! Still... it was a close call... had I been a fraction slower in pulling myself away from... her... I wouldn't be sitting here right now!

Name: Fisherplant
Size: Giant, 10-20 feet tall in adult life cycle
Category: Flora
Description: This plant is a cunning predator, product of many years of evolution, on a strangely selective diet. After the Fisherplant devours its first victim, it develops a lure, of sorts, usually basing the lure, upon the first victim it ever fed upon, these lures are constantly upgraded, by whatever form gives it the greatest results over time, as such, most lures take the form of beautiful women, usually elven, or fey, of stunning grace, and a beautiful voice, the Fisherplant then lies in wait, usually disguising itself, through he chameleonic properties of the plant itself, as a cave, or waterfall, although rare forms have been known to disguise themselves as pools, drawing their victims close by a combination of the lure, and a specially secreted pheromone, designed to excite the victim as they draw nearer... As the victim touches the lure, they find themselves becoming rapidly becoming stuck, the struggling informing the plant that something has wandered into its maw, and then closing shut about the victim, swallowing them whole... One benefit to the victim, before swallowing, at least they receive the full attentions of the lure...
The creatures digestive method is...interesting, the sticky substance, that coats the lure, begins to cover the victim, binding them into a rapidly hardening substance, like rock, or crystal, binding the victim to the bottom of the creatures mouth, to be absorbed into its stomach, where the gem dissolves, removing clothing, and weapons, and armor as well! as the plant cannot dissolve these, and are hidden beneath it, so as to not alert any other prey that draws nearer... Once in the stomach, a numbing agent is released to surround the victim, allowing them to struggle, but feel no pain, soon the catalyzed process converts the victim into a form of nutrient gel, which is then stored within it body, to sustain it as it waits for its next meal to be enticed.

((Questions, Comments, Critique?))
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 6:33 am

WHY did we not have a human-lure plant monster prior? It prettymuch SCREAMS 'Felarya'.

I love it. Expertly detailed, very logical, and very in the spirit of Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread   Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya Fauna and Flora Disscussion Thread
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next