Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations

Go down 
+21
jedi-explorer
Darth_Nergal
Saen Kel
Zephyr102
Ilceren
McKindle
parameciumkid
keroko
Qwuillin
EvilGenius
walkingbyself
Archmage_Bael
Stabs
MetaSkipper
Black Hole Fragment
Chibi-Hiruki
TheLightLost
Sehoolighan
Karbo
Anime-Junkie
Nyaha
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Stabs
Stabs

Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Nyaha wrote:
I appreciate your feedback, Stabs. If you don't mind, I'd like to continue discussing some of what you have said.
Fair enough...

Nyaha wrote:
Good point on the stop drop and roll. I wanted to give them a weakness, though. Can you help me think of something?
Well, if you won't substract the super-eyes, then have them vulnerable to water instead. Once you're soaked in your clothes you WILL freeze- and stop drop and roll won't help you. Nothing short of a warm bath or a towel and a change of clothes will help you.

Nyaha wrote:
Hm. Maybe I'll make it two. After all, the tribe's really small, being only about 60-75 people.
Or make it a 300 kg critter, or say their fat content is higher than 0%. At 50% fat 50% muscle, they are like half again as good. Most sea mammals are pretty fatty, you know, clubbing baby seals is a good idea, though not as good as clubbing juvvy seals. I don't know... is this tundra close to the sea?

This suddenly raises the logistic challenge of bringing 200 kg of meat home without leaving tracks- tracks are a no-no in Felarya if you wanna live anywhere during an extended period. If they hunt only while it's snowing, they could use a sled. But people need meat even when it isn't snowing- I had thought maybe the tribe had some sort of magical item, like a bag of holding to toss a carcass in on the way back, but we can't have the welfare of the tribe riding on a single magical item. If there were spells to hide a sled's tracks, that'd work too, I guess?

Nyaha wrote:
Do people even travel that much through the tundra? I read the wiki and it stated the only way to get to the tundra geographically is through Elifga Valley, an impassable gorge. I thought that being transported to Negav would provide a much more reasonable start to any adventure, rather than putting impassable obstacles in there right off the bat.
Those are the most ambitious and skilled. If a cliff is going to stop them, I think they've been overestimated. No information exists on trading routes, either; you'll have to assume any trading routes you want. And besides, how do they know of Negav in the first place? On a sidenote, though this isn't really all that important, consider that we've already got a lot of people who go to Negav. Adventuring in other places would be a nice break, or at least getting there the long way.

Nyaha wrote:
I imagind the caverns being stone because it's lighter, and it would carry what little light they are able to make down there farther. I don't think fur would keep the living conditions dry.
Stone caves aren't made: that'd be a pharaonic amount of work. It's a lot easier to find them. Have you thought of igloos? I'm sure you've already discarded them for a reason, that's why I suggested clay. As for fur, it does help keep places warm. It's good tent material.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 11:41 am

Stabs wrote:
Well, if you won't substract the super-eyes, then have them vulnerable to water instead. Once you're soaked in your clothes you WILL freeze- and stop drop and roll won't help you. Nothing short of a warm bath or a towel and a change of clothes will help you.

That's a good idea, thank you. ^_^ I'll update this now. Also, their eyesight isn't just a strength to see through the snow, it also makes up for the fact that they can't trust their ears in Imoreith Tundra. If you read up on it here You'll see why that is.

Stabs wrote:
Or make it a 300 kg critter, or say their fat content is higher than 0%. At 50% fat 50% muscle, they are like half again as good. Most sea mammals are pretty fatty, you know, clubbing baby seals is a good idea, though not as good as clubbing juvvy seals. I don't know... is this tundra close to the sea?

The Shimmering Sea is right beside Imoreith Tundra, actually. My initial idea for their food source was from taraneis, which are quite large, though slim. If a squad of hunters were able to capture/kill 3 or 4 of them out of a pack at a time, that would likely do for one day's hunt. But adding in marine life would probably outweigh the option of depending on a single food source. I'm sorry, but I don't have any idea what you mean when you talk about the weights and the "50%" things, though. I don't know all the ins and outs of hunting.

Stabs wrote:
This suddenly raises the logistic challenge of bringing 200 kg of meat home without leaving tracks- tracks are a no-no in Felarya if you wanna live anywhere during an extended period. If they hunt only while it's snowing, they could use a sled. But people need meat even when it isn't snowing- I had thought maybe the tribe had some sort of magical item, like a bag of holding to toss a carcass in on the way back, but we can't have the welfare of the tribe riding on a single magical item. If there were spells to hide a sled's tracks, that'd work too, I guess?

One option would be to include a mage in the group who can lay down snow cover using a spell. I'm also sure that after a few generations, they've got a substantial store of helpful items like bags of holding in their possession, as I'm sure any snow leopard neko visiting home during their adventures would make sure to bring back any valuable items they can. Also, when one of them returns home, that doesn't mean their adventures are necessarily at an end. Though unlikely, it is plausible for one generation's adventurer neko to return home more than one time, and that would further increase their access to goods and knowledge from outside the tundra.

Stabs wrote:
Those are the most ambitious and skilled. If a cliff is going to stop them, I think they've been overestimated. No information exists on trading routes, either; you'll have to assume any trading routes you want. And besides, how do they know of Negav in the first place? On a sidenote, though this isn't really all that important, consider that we've already got a lot of people who go to Negav. Adventuring in other places would be a nice break, or at least getting there the long way.

Perhaps it should be left up to the one leaving the tribe? Also, the snow leopards know of places outside of the tundra, especially Negav, from stories brought back by nekos who've left the tribe in the past, so it's not all that farfetched. The only problem I found with not taking the shortcut to Negav in the beginning of the adventure is the fact that there isn't much info on areas like Elifga Valley.

Stabs wrote:
Stone caves aren't made: that'd be a pharaonic amount of work. It's a lot easier to find them. Have you thought of igloos? I'm sure you've already discarded them for a reason, that's why I suggested clay. As for fur, it does help keep places warm. It's good tent material.

I had not considered igloos acually. It would eliminate many of the factors concerning permafrost, the construction and such. I'll definitely give this some thought. Though I must admit, I'm extremely embarassed by the fact I didn't think of that first. ^^;
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 1:07 pm

Nyaha wrote:
That's a good idea, thank you. ^_^ I'll update this now. Also, their eyesight isn't just a strength to see through the snow, it also makes up for the fact that they can't trust their ears in Imoreith Tundra. If you read up on it here You'll see why that is.
Ah! Right, the tundra you may as well be deaf in. Hadn't thought of that. But even the deaf can't pierce illusions with their eyes, I just don't think there's much point. It's not like there were many illusions in general.

Nyaha wrote:
The Shimmering Sea is right beside Imoreith Tundra, actually. My initial idea for their food source was from taraneis, which are quite large, though slim. If a squad of hunters were able to capture/kill 3 or 4 of them out of a pack at a time, that would likely do for one day's hunt. But adding in marine life would probably outweigh the option of depending on a single food source. I'm sorry, but I don't have any idea what you mean when you talk about the weights and the "50%" things, though. I don't know all the ins and outs of hunting.
Not of hunting, nutrition. Protein gives you 4 kcal per gram, fat 9 kcal per gram. If there are 1000 gram in a kilogram, and there's well over 5000 kcal in a diet for a very large person doing very heavy work in a very cold place, how much meat are you going to need and how fatty should it be?
Also, elk are 7 foot tall. Taraneis are 10 to 15 foot tall. Even if they're slender they're going to weigh at least 400 kg. That should be enough meat to last the tribe a day- I'd still advise to hunt many if the occassion presents itself. You can freeze the ones you don't eat for later.
Kinda concerned about the vitamins though. Those kids aren't going to get much vitamin without any fruits or veggies.

Nyaha wrote:
One option would be to include a mage in the group who can lay down snow cover using a spell. I'm also sure that after a few generations, they've got a substantial store of helpful items like bags of holding in their possession, as I'm sure any snow leopard neko visiting home during their adventures would make sure to bring back any valuable items they can. Also, when one of them returns home, that doesn't mean their adventures are necessarily at an end. Though unlikely, it is plausible for one generation's adventurer neko to return home more than one time, and that would further increase their access to goods and knowledge from outside the tundra.
Goods and knowledge from outside the tundra, maybe. But I wouldn't know about specific magical items, much less the specific one that would totally solve that particular conundrum for generations to come: it might seem too convenient. A mage who can lay down snow seems like a good idea, though. One mage to lay down snow, and ten men to pull a bobsled.

Maybe we can leave that part hazy? They transport the meat back home. Anyone who wants to know how will probably come up with their own alternative. Maybe they skin it on the spot and tear the meat into chunks afterwards to put it in bags, maybe they carry their dead carcass in a bag of holding, maybe they bobsled on an artificial ice storm.

Nyaha wrote:
Perhaps it should be left up to the one leaving the tribe? Also, the snow leopards know of places outside of the tundra, especially Negav, from stories brought back by nekos who've left the tribe in the past, so it's not all that farfetched. The only problem I found with not taking the shortcut to Negav in the beginning of the adventure is the fact that there isn't much info on areas like Elifga Valley.
If people keep teleporting to Negav, there's never going to be much info on Elifga Valley, you know.
My objection stays- if they could reach Negav by hoofing it, there shouldn't be a problem for the next generation, more prepared and more ambitious, to hoof it just as nicely to a different place, instead of defaulting to Negav. Leaving it up to the one leaving, though, I could approve of that.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 3:16 pm

It seems like we're coming close to ironing out the ideas we come up with. ^_^

Stabs wrote:
Ah! Right, the tundra you may as well be deaf in. Hadn't thought of that. But even the deaf can't pierce illusions with their eyes, I just don't think there's much point. It's not like there were many illusions in general.
Well, maybe the illusions thing is a little much. But I'm sure a snow leopard neko could train their eyesight to the level needed to pierce illusions through rigorous excercises, though. Perhaps it's a quality best left to character bios.

Stabs wrote:
Not of hunting, nutrition. Protein gives you 4 kcal per gram, fat 9 kcal per gram. If there are 1000 gram in a kilogram, and there's well over 5000 kcal in a diet for a very large person doing very heavy work in a very cold place, how much meat are you going to need and how fatty should it be?
Also, elk are 7 foot tall. Taraneis are 10 to 15 foot tall. Even if they're slender they're going to weigh at least 400 kg. That should be enough meat to last the tribe a day- I'd still advise to hunt many if the occassion presents itself. You can freeze the ones you don't eat for later.
Kinda concerned about the vitamins though. Those kids aren't going to get much vitamin without any fruits or veggies.
Well, again, I'm not really a big thinker about the specific numbers, but perhaps it would be worth mentioning something along the lines of frozen types of vegetables that grow in areas where the layer of ice is thin in the snow leopards' diet.

Stabs wrote:
Goods and knowledge from outside the tundra, maybe. But I wouldn't know about specific magical items, much less the specific one that would totally solve that particular conundrum for generations to come: it might seem too convenient. A mage who can lay down snow seems like a good idea, though. One mage to lay down snow, and ten men to pull a bobsled.
Okay. I'll mention a mage as part of the hunting squad.

Stabs wrote:
Maybe we can leave that part hazy? They transport the meat back home. Anyone who wants to know how will probably come up with their own alternative. Maybe they skin it on the spot and tear the meat into chunks afterwards to put it in bags, maybe they carry their dead carcass in a bag of holding, maybe they bobsled on an artificial ice storm.
Alright, sounds good to me. ^_^

Stabs wrote:
If people keep teleporting to Negav, there's never going to be much info on Elifga Valley, you know.
My objection stays- if they could reach Negav by hoofing it, there shouldn't be a problem for the next generation, more prepared and more ambitious, to hoof it just as nicely to a different place, instead of defaulting to Negav. Leaving it up to the one leaving, though, I could approve of that.
Alright. I think I've already made a note of that in the article.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 2:50 pm

I would like to inform you that my idea for shadow sirens have been officially renamed "Shadowgels", as per a compromise I reached with Dante8411 on DeviantArt. You can read more about it on this page: http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/#/d4bes0y
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 4:26 am

Well the idea is developing well ^^
I can see them fit in the Imoreith tundra but I think there is some points that should be changed a bit. I admit I'm not a big fan of the tournament to elect the strongest. I mean it gives the authorization to leave the tribe but for what purpose exactly ? Isn't that a sort of exile in itself ?

Also I think those nekos would have to live near coastal areas so they could add fish to their diets. Surviving only on hunting in the tundra for a whole tribe might be really quite difficult otherwise..
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Okay, I see eye to eye with you about the coastal thing. But you have to keep in mind that they're very adventurous, Karbo, all of them wish to leave the tribe at some point so they can go on adventures. But because, as it says, the tribe is so small, they can't all up and leave or they'd die out. Get me?

Though you do make me think that there should be a different punishment for cheating in the tournament, otherwise they'd all cheat so they can be exhiled and go on adventures. I suppose if they're dishonerable in a tournament, they'd be considered dishonourable in other aspects of their life, too. Would that be a reason to send them to their death by exhiling them without clothes or supplies of any sort? Maybe they're fed to predators who live in the Shimmering Sea?
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 2:58 pm

(Edited out)

Last edited by Nyaha on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 6:13 pm

So be avid with your fire usage? oh wait, that will draw attention from others :/ how do I protect myself against them XD
Back to top Go down
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 5:06 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
So be avid with your fire usage? oh wait, that will draw attention from others :/ how do I protect myself against them XD

Not to mention that a smart one would simply wait for you to cast your fire magic in such a way you cast a shadow over yourself and thus leave yourself wide open for being sucked into the shadows. Now you avid fire mages better start thinking in ways other than "Flame first question later" Smile though I'm certain your fellow mages might be able to help you should you find yourself in such a situation. Very Happy

Good idea Nyaha I like their being able to change size to engulf similar or large sized prey. The idea of being pulled through shadows sounds like the stuff of nightmares, that itself would probably leave many terrified of a Shadow Gel if they weren't already. To see a large hand reach out from the shadows grab them and drag them down through whatever twisted creepy shadowy world or whatever then find themselves hanging over and open mouth would traumatize quite a few people I think.
Back to top Go down
http://walkingbyself.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 11:05 am

Yes, I was going for the dark and creepy, traumatizing stuff. Nyaha can be a hard-hitter, too, y'know. ;3

Also, magic attacks work against them. So if you have fire magic, you can hit them with a fire attack, not just make light to scare them off, but just regular magic attacks work too.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 12:40 pm

New idea! ^.^ I like this one, it's nice.

Temporal Heron

Temporal herons are a species of long-legged and long-necked bird that have a decorative plume on the back of their neck, that can be found in many regions of Felarya. Their bodies, with the exception of their legs and beaks - which are black - are see-through like glass. However, that does not mean they are invisible. They are literally windows through which one can see different areas in time. A temporal heron flying during the day will darken the sky as their bodies show the image of the night to come, and those flying at night will brighten areas as they show tomorrow in the daytime. In truth, the males show times in the future, while the females show times in the past. Adults stand anywhere from 9 feet to 15 feet, and their wingspan can reach lengths of around 20 feet wide. Though none have ever been known to eat a human, they generally prey on smaller species, which does include small sentient creatures like neeras and tomthumbs. When two herons mate, they synchronize the time difference between themselves, and each one becoms one side of a window through time. Where the male flies during the day, the female will fly during the night, as they show the same place through themselves. In fact, it is entirely possible, albeit difficult, to use two mated herons to hold a conversation with another person in a different time. When they fly, they tuck in their long necks. Temporal heron feathers are widely valued for their usefulness in future-sight spells and manufacturing authentic crystal balls. They have been known to gather in areas with water, such as the Lake of Illusions and the Fairy Pond.

It is ill advised that one use mated herons to hold a conversation with themselves between two times, as the act is extremely dangerous due to the threat of creating a paradox.

-----

I'm still considering some ideas for this one, such as each heron having a counterpart, where one is a window into the future, and the other is subsequently the other side of that window, showing the past. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated.

--------

EDIT: I also updated an old idea. Maybe some of you will remember this one. ^_^

Snowmen

Snowmen are mysterious beings that have been encountered by a number of adventurers in snowy places like Frost Peak and Imoreith Tundra. They appear to be made of two or more mounds of snow, decorated with things like twigs for arms, stones for eyes, etc. They do not appear to be sentient, or even alive, but according to the accounts of the adventurers who’ve seen them and lived, they apparently show up at random, in the distance when you turn around, and any time you turn around after that, they appear closer, as if following you, but when you look at them, they don’t move at all. What’s more, they seem impossible to examine, because if you move while looking at them, they seem to move at the exact same speed and in the exact same direction you do, so it’s impossible to get close to them. Apparently, the snowman will keep moving closer and closer, until it catches you. Those who have been ‘caught’ by a snowman have never been seen or heard from again. They are said to be unkillable, and that even fire won’t hurt them, that after the snowman melts and you turn away from where it was, if you look back it will be there again. People have devised various methods for evading capture from snowmen, the most common being to keep your eyes on the being and move towards a warmer climate, if you can. The problem with this solution is that you cannot see where you are going, and if you take your eyes off the snowman, to check a map or some such thing, he will get closer to you. Another rumored method for getting rid of snowmen is to stare at them for exactly one minute. If you close your eyes and open them, even as fast as a blink, the snowman will disappear. The rumor also says that if you don’t hold your gaze long enough, you’ll have to start over, but if you stare too long, even a second past one minute, the snowman will pick up the pace and catch you as soon as you look away.

Last edited by Nyaha on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:11 pm

I've decided, after thinking about it more clearly, that Karbo was correct about the competition the snow leopard nekos had, and I've begun to change it. Instead of the combat tournament each generation, individual snow leopard nekos wishing to venture out into the world must take a series of tests to prove their abilities, as well as pledge that they'll return to the village with the knowledge that they've gained in their travels and share it with their people. I'm thinking I might describe the trials more specifically, but at the moment, I'm still on the fence about it. What do the rest of you think about that?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Like I said that temporal heron idea is really interesting and original ^^
I think it could fit really well in some of the stranger regions of Felarya. I'd like to ad them if you agree with the disclaimer Smile ( I would just change some small things here and there and perhaps pick another name )
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:31 am

I suppose that would be okay. What's the disclaimer? Also, I'd like to help with whatever you're planning to change. :3
Back to top Go down
EvilGenius
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Here you go Nyaha Felarya Disclaimer
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:21 am

Oh, look at that. -_- It was right under my nose the whole time. Blind Nyaha strikes again.

Anyway, that seems fair to me! ^_^ I agree completely.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:57 am

(Edited out)

Last edited by Nyaha on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:18 am; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
Qwuillin
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Qwuillin

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 1:19 am

God dammit, you beat me to the chase with the porcupine/hedgehog idea. I was going to name the porcupine hybrids 'Porqutaurs', (although I think your idea is that they aren't tauric) and all the stuff you wrote was basically the same as mine.

Oh well, great minds think alike. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 9:00 am

Haha. But yes, they are not tauric.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 1:58 pm

I have made substantial changes to my idea for snow leopard nekos, adding in a general description of what they are like as a people, and a certain game I've thought up for them to play that I think goes well with the idea. As I mentioned before, I also removed the competition for a neko to leave the tribe, instead making it a set of trials. I'd like some criticism and feedback, please, if anybody would be so kind. I'd also like to discuss whether or not I should add in more specific description of what the trials are, if it's a good idea in the first place. Please and thank you.
Back to top Go down
keroko
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 3:18 am

Nyaha wrote:
I've been thinking of a new idea. I don't have a name for it, and it's still a work in progress, but I thought I'd post what I have so far and see if I can get any ideas from you Felaryans out there. ^.^

Kowo Nekos

Kowo Nekos are a race of humaniods that have very long, spikey hair. The average one has full, thick hair that reaches down to their calves. It's made of hard, durable hair-needles that can be used both offensively and defensively. Needless to say, touching their hair, or trying to grab them or put them in one's mouth is ill-advised, as their sharp hair-needles with pierce and scratch up even a giant predator's flesh. They can roll up into defensive balls if the need arises, or whip their hair around for a type of attack. Some of them even boast the unique ability to fire their hair-needles as projectiles. They can be weakened by water, however, as their hair-needles still retain it like human hair, meaning that if it gets wet, it becomes heavy, which, with the amount of hair the average kowo neko has, can really weigh them down. It also makes their hair flat, too, making them harmless to the touch as well. They are generally a tribal people, wearing clothes made of animal hides and leather, and often accessorizing with feathers and headdresses. They use spears made of branches and carved stones as weapons. They also play on drums made of hollow stumps and animal hide. They do possess some unique types of weapons, one of which is actually quite valued for how uncommon it is outside of the tribes; a spear-type weapon made of a lock of the hair-needles of a kowo neko tied together on a stick. It's more handy than a regular spear because it is able to make multiple lacerations at once. It can also be spun around on the target's flesh to tear it open. They are also make specialized bows, so that individuals without the power to fire their needles can do so with the assistance of this tool.

Kowo Nekos are named after the Felaryan Kowo cat, for both species have relations to porcupines. However, it's a slightly inappropriate name for them, as they hold no relation to nekos at all.

That's what I have so far. I also haven't decided on a location for them. I've been considering Shillapo Island, as well as having more than one tribe of them spread across Felarya, or maybe even just on the island.

The idea sounds like fun, but I think using neko in the name is bound to cause confusion (I know it did for me at least) and somewhat unnecessary since they're not really cat-like. Using the name kowo to show their similarity to kowo cats is a good nod, so I definitely suggest keeping that, but in place of neko... perhaps simply kowo people? Or maybe the kowo tribes?
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 4:32 pm

I'll take your suggestions into consideration. Thank you for them.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:36 pm

If anyone's interested, I want to discuss my ideas for my Kowo Nekos. The main thing on my mind right now is the three different tribes that I want to have. But I have two ideas for their placement.

First mapping is putting one tribe in Lamina. They would mostly have blond of even straight white hair that would reflect the sun's rays and give them shade, keeping them cool in the sun. The second would be on Shillapo Island, probably in the southern region. They wouldn't have much need for camoflauge or anything like that, so they would have more diverse hair colours. The third would likely be nomadic, travelling around the jungles and forests that make up most of the main continent of Felarya. They would mainly have brown or green hair to help them blend in.

The second mapping is having them all on Shillapo Island, divided to the three geographical regions it has. The characteristics would be mainly the same to each tribe as described above. The main difference here would be that they'd be within feuding distance of eachother. I don't know for sure if this would be the case yet, though.

Which idea do you think is better?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Green hair would be cool. You could give them special abilities, and they'd be legendary when it comes to rumors because of how skilled they could be at avoiding detection and stuff like that.

I wonder if there would be a racial ability to block out the effects of the soil? It sounds impossible because you eat and drink the magic, but a spell, combination of spells, ancient ritual done by some ancestor, or developed trait due to how many races try to eat nekos. Just an idea, probably not as good as it sounds, but I think, either way, the 3rd idea could be the coolest.

It all depends how you present them. I definitely think you should make all 3 though Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations   Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nyaha's Various Ideas and Contemplations
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next