Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Rather Unknown Species...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chibi-Hiruki
Helpless prey

A Rather Unknown Species... Empty
PostSubject: A Rather Unknown Species...   A Rather Unknown Species... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 5:11 pm

I've noticed that the species Triops, A.K.A Dinosaur shrimp, aren't well known, and the mention of them makes people say things like
" what's a friggen Triops!? some monster!?"
" Arent those from the Tripod series?"
" Why would I want a camerastand!?"
So, I wanted to bring them up in the form of a Felaryan species. Please, critique me, but don't flame.
I was also adding stuff I
1) Researched, and
2) Recorded from what i saw when raising them.

Name: Triopid
Scientific name: Triops humana(Branches into Triops longicadatus,australiensis, cancriformis, granarius, and newberryi humana)
Background information: Triopids are a combination of a creature known as a Triops ( A species of fresh-water crustacean, a.k.a dinosaur shimp, tadpole shrimp, and formally called minature horseshoe crabs, although the name is incorrectly placed, as the Triops longicadatus and the Limulus polyphemus are two different species) and Humans, thus the humana. The human half looks like the average human, though there are slots on the inside of the Triopid's cheeks where a pair of retractable mandables are found, and the entire body is covered with a thin, orange tinted exoskeleton. On their foreheads is a small, almost invisible circular-shaped light sensor, used for when they are underwater for telling where the surface is. Down the Human half's back is the most visible part of their exoskeleton, which is a thick, orange colored sheet of keratin. Contrary to popular belief, this does not allow the Triopids to fly or swim extremly fast: If anything, it slows them down.
Their lower Triops half consists of two parts. There's a thorax (or, would be the thorax if it were a Triops.), which has eleven pairs of segmented legs, which range from a milimeter to 26.9 feet in length. The first three legs resemble a Dridders, because they are used for digging, trapping prey, and for swimming. The other eight pairs of legs are used more to propel the rest of the Triopid underwater. These legs are seemingly useless on land. Then there's the actual tail, which is dark orange segmented peices of keratin, ending in a telson, or a forked "tail". On the underside of the Triopid's tail are small orange "hairs" which have been discovered as a prehistoric gill system.
Their Carapace/ exoskeleton color differs, depending on the species.The Triops longicadatus humana has a more orange color theme. Triops newberryi has a dark brown carapace, while Triops cancriformis is a light orange with speckles of browns, greys, and greens. Triops granarius humamas are a brown orange, and look shiny from far away.
Life Span: Unlike their earth relatives, Triopids can live for 20 years, if their ponds or lakes dry up, and up to 90 if they live in a habitat plentiful with water.
Size: Triopids have a range of sizes, though the largest recorded Triopid was 95.7 feet from head to tail, not counting the prong-like tips. The smallest one has been recorded to be the average size of the actual Triops longicadatus, which is about 4.5 inches in length, counting the tips of it's tail.
Diet: Triopids, like their smaller relatives (the Triops) will eat anything organic. There have been many cases of canabalism, even between siblings. They will also eat Miaxi and Gyspas larva, Slimeoids, and Ichthys. They are also known to eat humans who wander too close...
They are in turn eaten by Harpies, famished Succubi, Foolish Inus, some Humans, and some Nagas.
Habitat: Triopids are semi-aquatic creatures, so they are found in freshwater ponds, lakes, and in swamps, but never in seas or lakes, scince their exoskeletons might dissolve in the salt-water.
Breeding: In a brood of Triopids, there isn't a 50-50 ratio of getting a male or female. There is usually one gender for each generation (although scientists still haven't discovered why this happens). Because of this, the eggs of Triopids have evolved to hatch without fermentation, but they will only hatch when the are dried and resubmerged in water.
The eggs are so protected, that even if a predator ate them, they would get nohing out of it, other than a stomach ache. The eggs, on the other hand, are usually unharmed by this.
Personalities: Triopids have been known to be more of a laid back species, and will not attack unless if provoked, or if you have stubled across them during lunch time! If you ever happen to come across a young Triopid, you might be able to befriend them by feeding them, but feed them from up close, and you might just end up where all the food is going! Overall, a Triopid isn't the loyalest friend, scince they will worship anyone who provides them food, but they will stay by your side if you've known them long enough...

Last edited by Chibi-Hiruki on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://chibi-hiruki.deviantart.com/
zersergathant
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
zersergathant

PostSubject: Re: A Rather Unknown Species...   A Rather Unknown Species... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 7:28 pm

Awesome, I had triops as a kid, too!
This is fairly interesting, decently thought-out, and pretty creative. It could still use some expansion, of course (like their relations with other predator species, magical ability or disability/immunity, assorted stuff like that) but this is certainly a good start.

One thing, though; where did the hang-glider-on-the-back portion of the exoskeleton come from? It's been a while since I've seen a triop, but I don't remember anything like that...
Back to top Go down
Chibi-Hiruki
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: A Rather Unknown Species...   A Rather Unknown Species... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Haha, thank you for reading this!
I'm still thinking out the magic properties. I started out with the scientific stuff first.
The hanglider-looking part of the exoskeleton (what was called a carapace) is a Triops' back. I described it by it's shape, for some of the people who have never heard of the Triops species before.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: A Rather Unknown Species...   A Rather Unknown Species... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 2:01 pm

It probably would have been less confusing had you just said carapace or shell as your current description involving hang gliders is a bit vague. You can also link images here, so linking an image of a triops is probably a good idea.

Anyway, I'd like to point out that they don't necessarily need magical abilities. It seems to me that they aren't the kind of species that would be naturally inclined to learn magic, unless it helped them get food.

In addition, I think it a bit odd that Triopid can be found at giant sizes, considering that triops are small creatures.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Chibi-Hiruki
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: A Rather Unknown Species...   A Rather Unknown Species... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 2:50 pm

Thank you for reading this!
Well, I had noticed that alot of the species here (Miaxi, Squorpisais, Mantids, Nagas, and Dryads)
Are actually based off of creatures who can be fairly small. And, Felarya is a world where everything in (probably) Oversized, so I found the size-difference to be vaguely neccisary...
And, yes. To avoid further confusion, I'll edit that part out...
It's just that this passage was originally posted on DeviantART, Where I didn't upload a picture for t, so I had added that one bit for those who have never seen the species, that's all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Rather Unknown Species...   A Rather Unknown Species... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Rather Unknown Species...
Page 1 of 1