Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+75
Darth_Nergal
Emerald Electronic
Oldman40k2003
Venom Agato
vore4life99
DaNoob13
DarkOne
Ilceren
McKindle
2Ron2R
AzureJass
HeavenlessStar
Boris92
Malahite
hhhat09
FalconJudge
jedi-explorer
EvilGenius
parameciumkid
Paltiel
Greyman
timing2
Rezec
/Fish/
Tango
Beefnautz
Pendragon
sadisticnerd
Axel Hunter
Archmage_Bael
MrNobody13
Darkstorm Zero
Black Aquila
ZionAtriedes
Iavlas
Silent_eric
TryMeIke
French snack
Saironthis
walkingbyself
Black Hole Fragment
Primeval Hunter
Nyaha
Krisexy26
gwadahunter2222
Vaderaz
zersergathant
TheArchvile
TheLightLost
AisuKaiko
itsmeyouidiot
CauldronBorn24
Slimetoad
Feadraug
Amaroq
macdaddy
The Ultimate
Claire
sparkythechu
Pim18
Jasconius
kikijonson
Anime-Junkie
luke112
aethernavale
Shady Knight
buddha66667
Prof.Nekko
Karbo
Jætte_Troll
Solomon
Sehoolighan
Grave
rcs619
Stabs
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

General Q and A - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Difficult enough that a newbie trying it would explode. Oh so gloriously.

XD Thanks for both the infromation AND the image!
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 5:37 pm

I'd just like to know, why is it called "Tolmeshal Forest" or the "central forest" if it's a jungle?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
TheArchvile
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TheArchvile

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 5:47 pm

Actually it's more like a Rainforest.
The word jungle is taken from the Hindi language, and is generally associated with extremely dense, nearly impassable vegetation they have there, which doesn't seem to be the case for Tolmeshal. (Though there might be patches of 'jungle' here and there within it)
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 8:53 pm

While thinking about makign a Nemesis character for a party I wondered something about their hunting rules. Can a Nemesis eat regular food? Or does she eat other dreamers in the Dreamscape? I'm talking just regularly when she's not marked somebody.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 6:31 am

They possess the ability to consume apples.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 11:58 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
They possess the ability to consume apples.

Back to top Go down
Rezec
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Rezec

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 4:05 am

question about fairies

Can a fairy, while being in human size, pick up a granade and enlarge him\herself WITH grenade to the giant size? Will that granade remain to be giant sized (and thus contain giant explosive power) if fairy throw it to somewhere? Can a fairy use a firearm in same way?

and btw, how much energy a fairy uses in order to make him\herself tiny or giant?
Back to top Go down
Boris92
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
Boris92

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 4:38 am

I believe they would be able to enlarge/shrink the grenade even without touching it. That's how I understand Fairy magic, anyway. I doubt it would take TOO much energy to shrink/grow. It's their specialty, and they use it often enough that it seems to take the same energy as breathing would. Okay, that was exaggerating a little. But it's probably a barely noticeable amount of energy used.

I'm kinda nervous why a Fairy would need giant grenades or firearms... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Rezec
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Rezec

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 5:10 am

Boris92 wrote:

I'm kinda nervous why a Fairy would need giant grenades or firearms... Shocked

well, I was writing a story about one curious little fairy who likes to peeking at humans. The little winged thing got her mind blown when she discovered how does firearms work, and what grenades can do. Soon she stole some grenades and one combat riffle from one sleeping adventurer for herself and...

and This is the point where I need the answer. Surely, she'll run out of ammo pretty soon, but atleast she can have some fun while she has few clips and grenades, can't she?))
Back to top Go down
HeavenlessStar
Helpless prey
HeavenlessStar

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 5:18 am

It was my understanding that energy/power/force isn't relative to the size of the source so a grenade's explosive power would not change. I could be wrong though
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 5:32 am

Rezec wrote:
and btw, how much energy a fairy uses in order to make him\herself tiny or giant?
My understanding is that the answer is "a lot"
Fairy wings are specialized magic capacitor/collectors that enable them to channel energy required to cast their size changing spells. The fact that such organs are required implies that a lot of magic power is used.
The question is whether or not the energy that is added to the grenade to make it giant contributes to the explosion.

Rezec, your question is very pertinent to how size changing magic works (and I believe that this is why we should work out HOW it works, since it would questions like this.)

There is no canon answer currently.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Rezec
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Rezec

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 5:38 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
There is no canon answer currently.

so... can I take it as "Possible yes, but fairy have to put a lot of magic energy into grenade in order to blow up something huge", right? Same with firearms, I presume.

thanks for answer, AJ!))
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:23 pm

HeavenlessStar wrote:
It was my understanding that energy/power/force isn't relative to the size of the source so a grenade's explosive power would not change. I could be wrong though

Yes and no. The grenade's explosive power would remain the same. What would change is its scale. It is still the same grenade, just scaled up. To a fairy, it would explode the same no matter what size she chose to be with it. To a human, the explosion, shrapnel and so on would be considerably larger though.

It's like how magic works with a fairy. If she's making a fireball, the fireball is still exactly the same the whole time. What changes is the scale, and how it is perceived by people of different sizes as the scale changes. That is the big drawback to size-changing magic. You are only as strong as your scale. A fairy's magical power and spells never change, only the scale of them.
Back to top Go down
HeavenlessStar
Helpless prey
HeavenlessStar

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 2:27 pm

Ok, I'm lost as usual. xD

This reminds me of why I consider giant sized mages more powerful than human sized mages. Power is relative to scale, right?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 2:42 pm

I'd comment that it's not the case, but that would spark Magic Debate #518, so all I'm going to say is, depends on the type of magic and caster's experience.
Back to top Go down
HeavenlessStar
Helpless prey
HeavenlessStar

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 2:54 pm

I don't really wanna go there either but I'm tempted. It's hard to not think a human put up against a giant mage of the skill level wouldn't find him/her self overwhelmed.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Well, you just answered your own question, skill level. Humans have the advantage of easily accessible knowledge, which is paramount for a good mage, except for wild magic, innate magic, and possibly ley lines magic. Giants, with the exception of fairies, don't usually have access to tomes that will teach them new spells, so most of the time, their magic is either only rudimentary, or is inherent to their species.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:03 pm

HeavenlessStar wrote:
Ok, I'm lost as usual. xD

This reminds me of why I consider giant sized mages more powerful than human sized mages. Power is relative to scale, right?

That.... is complicated.

More "powerful" in terms of raw magic used, but not necessarily in relative effect. Let me try to explain this in an (hopefully) understandable manner.

1: A 6ft tall human creates a baseball-sized fireball.

2: A 110ft tall naga creates a baseball-sized fireball relative to her.

Both mages are expending the same effort to create what is basically the same fireball. Both are exerting basically the same amount of effort and using (relative to their scale) the same amount of magical energy. Technically the naga is using more magical energy because she is larger and is making a larger fireball, but it takes the same amount of effort as the human is using to make his.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that, being bigger doesn't make it easier to use magic. Just because your body can harness more magical energy doesn't mean that your magic is inherently better. The requirements scale up along with the effects.

My own theory is that, as you scale up, manipulating smaller-scale magic also becomes more and more difficult. Like, trying to use tweezers to manipulate a tiny gun. For example, in my interpretation, a naga wouldn't even be able to form a human-scale version of her fireball. It would be too small, and too delicate for her to form and manipulate with her magic. Just my own take on it of course, but I like it.
Back to top Go down
HeavenlessStar
Helpless prey
HeavenlessStar

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:43 pm

It was comprehensible. C:
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 8:06 am

Keep in mind, however, that magic is still a thing of debate on here. Very, very strong debate.

To continue Cliff's example, some would argue that a Giant Predator who can make a to scale baseball sized fireball is one of exceptional talent, as the scale of the caster doesn't matter. In D&D, for example, the Level 3 "Fireball" spell is the exact same size whether you're a Pixie, a Human, or a Titan, but for all three it remains a spell that only a Level 6 Sorcerer / Wizard could cast. In this case, it's less someone drawing magic through themselves / from their body, and more manipulating some sort of ever-present force (akin to the Weave, or Winds of Chaos).

At the same time, there's those argue that magic comes from the casters themselves. In these cases, by all means a Giant Predator should have spells scaled up in size / potency, as they're drawing from a volume several dozen / hundred times that of the average person. Magical energy that could explode a human trying to funnel it can be safely coursed through the Giant Predator.

And, overall, neither of these are either right or wrong. If you wanted to make a story wherein the average Giant Predator "Wizard" cannot lob fireballs the size of a double decker bus, you can do that. If you want to make a story where a Giant Predator "Wizard" lobs said-sized fireball, and it was about as troublesome to them as a medium-sized fireball to a human wizard, that's similarly fine. You should try to respect the magical limits defined for pre-existing characters (ex: If Vivian is said to be able to do [y], she can still do [y]), but otherwise you're allowed to go nuts.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Interesting stuff. I'm going to try to get this back on topic and ask what would a Minicalan priestess wear? Like would it be a robe or is any outfit okay as long as it has the colors of their flag?
Back to top Go down
kikijonson
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
kikijonson

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 2:49 pm

When it comes to summoners in Felarya...what exactly would they be able to summon and how would they go about forming a pact with them?...
Back to top Go down
http://kikijonson.deviantart.com/
AzureJass
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
AzureJass

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:46 am

I know for a fact that Dryads can walk, but how fast/long can they walk ?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 5:19 am

Not all of them do and they walk at the speed of plot.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:16 am

AzureJass wrote:
I know for a fact that Dryads can walk, but how fast/long can they walk ?

The vast majority of dryads only walk very rarely. They spend most of the time rooted in the ground, and will only uproot themselves when they need to move to a new location for whatever reason, be it necessity or personal preference. This is only done rarely because dryads are not really made for walking. They'd either need to crawl along on their roots, and/or twist their roots into some kind of rudimentary legs. Uprooted dryads are not that quick, and move fairly awkwardly. Not to mention, they can't really use their illusion camouflage when they're moving... since trees don't move normally, so catching food would be a lot more difficult on the move as well.

The wiki does mention "legged dryads", but it never really expands upon that idea or properly explains what they are. Quite a few people tend to ignore that part for those reasons, and because a lot of people think it sounds kind of un-dryadlike. Like, having a mermaid with legs and calling her a legged mermaid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 30 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 30 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next