Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Language Barrier in Felarya

Go down 
+6
GREGOLE
gwadahunter2222
Shady Knight
Pendragon
Daimo
Silent_eric
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

Language Barrier in Felarya Empty
PostSubject: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 10:59 am

This is one thing I don't understand. How every species in Felarya somehow speaks the same language. Every race understands each other. But even more, people from entirely different dimensions understand each other.

And so my question is, how. It obviously has something to do with Felarya itself, as I doubt that its a coincidence. At one time, I toyed with the idea that there was a human far back in Felarya's past that traveled the world, teaching all the races one language. But that's a bit of a fanciful explanation. So I want to hear if you guys have thought about this as well, and other people's explanations.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Daimo
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Daimo

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:08 am

Quote :
This is one thing I don't understand. How every species in Felarya somehow speaks the same language. Every race understands each other. But even more, people from entirely different dimensions understand each other.

And so my question is, how. It obviously has something to do with Felarya itself, as I doubt that its a coincidence. At one time, I toyed with the idea that there was a human far back in Felarya's past that traveled the world, teaching all the races one language. But that's a bit of a fanciful explanation. So I want to hear if you guys have thought about this as well, and other people's explanations.

Sorry, but this is all too common in many other Anime's, Movies, etc. I don't think there is a plausible reason that isn't magic that will explain why everyone understands each other.
Back to top Go down
http://kazumar1.deviantart.com/
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:10 am

But I don't want to just leave it as a thing everyone knows about, but no one brings up. There has to be an explanation. Maybe a guardian?
Back to top Go down
Daimo
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Daimo

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:13 am

Quote :
But I don't want to just leave it as a thing everyone knows about, but no one brings up. There has to be an explanation. Maybe a guardian?

Possibly, but then Karbo would have the confirm that.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:13 am

I never really questioned it.

Since Felarya is a cross of worlds, dimensions, and even realities, I assumed that anybody that existed in Felarya would magically gain an understanding of the native language.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:18 am

Pendragon wrote:

Since Felarya is a cross of worlds, dimensions, and even realities, I assumed that anybody that existed in Felarya would magically gain an understanding of the native language.
English is standard language in all dimensions?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:22 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Pendragon wrote:

Precisely my point! Although I'd assume that whatever universal magic-language is spoken in Felarya isn't English, but that what we'd write about it is actually translated. Or something. Gah, that line of thought hurts my head.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:25 am

Silent_eric wrote:

Precisely my point! Although I'd assume that whatever universal magic-language is spoken in Felarya isn't English, but that what we'd write about it is actually translated. Or something. Gah, that line of thought hurts my head.
Do you suggest to create language Question
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:33 am

Well, no. I don't think we need to come up with an actual language. I was just saying that if everyone who went to Felarya spoke a single language for whatever reason, I doubt it'd be English as we know it.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:46 am

Sean Okotami wrote:

I never said that.

Unless you are implying that english is the native Felaryan tongue?

all I said is that we'd be able to understand any language as our own due to the magical nature of Felarya.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:02 pm

Guys, it's obvious!

Forget nagas, fairies and nekos! The single most common organism in Felarya is the babel fish!
Back to top Go down
Daimo
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Daimo

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:05 pm

Lol. I knew somebody was going to mention the Babel fish.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:20 pm

Oh, I too saw the babel fish coming a mile away. And sure! That could be the answer of sorts. If instead of the babel fish maybe it's a babel microscopic organism. Of course that doesn't roll off the tongue as well, but as long as it has the word 'babel' in it.
The answer must be something that works for all the fiction written so far, and can work for all the ones to come.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Quote :
Oh, I too saw the babel fish coming a mile away. And sure! That could be the answer of sorts. If instead of the babel fish maybe it's a babel microscopic organism. Of course that doesn't roll off the tongue as well, but as long as it has the word 'babel' in it.
The answer must be something that works for all the fiction written so far, and can work for all the ones to come.

Sounds like a feasible enough answer.

Of course, it would mean that atheism is the dominant religion in Felarya. XP
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 1:16 pm

I don't see how the two are related, but on what I can see as a completely unrelated note, I think that atheism very well could be the dominant religion or lack thereof in Felarya. Other than the numerous cults, indiginous religions, religions taken from other dimensions, and what-have-you of course. But being so diversified means that athiesm wins. While probably not more than all the others combined, it would win on an individual basis.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 1:25 pm

Quote :
I don't see how the two are related, but on what I can see as a completely unrelated note, I think that atheism very well could be the dominant religion or lack thereof in Felarya. Other than the numerous cults, indiginous religions, religions taken from other dimensions, and what-have-you of course. But being so diversified means that athiesm wins. While probably not more than all the others combined, it would win on an individual basis.

If such a creature exists, it would be absurdely useful for no apparent reason.

Now, God refuses to prove himself, for he is faith. Without blind faith, he cannot exist.

Such a creature could not possibly have been created through evolution, indicating that some sort of God did this.

Now, here we have a creature proving that God exists, when it's already known that God refuses to prove his own existance. Keeping this in mind, we can only conclude that God doesn't exist.

I'd imagine this would be common knowledge among Felarya, thus dictating that the majority don't believe in any sort of god.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 1:29 pm

Not to go offtopic, but wouldn't Karbo himself be considered God in Felarya, should he ever step into that world?

He did make a good portion of the world, and what a world it is.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 2:22 pm

GREGOLE wrote:

Now, God refuses to prove himself, for he is faith. Without blind faith, he cannot exist.

Such a creature could not possibly have been created through evolution, indicating that some sort of God did this.

Now, here we have a creature proving that God exists, when it's already known that God refuses to prove his own existance. Keeping this in mind, we can only conclude that God doesn't exist.

I'd imagine this would be common knowledge among Felarya, thus dictating that the majority don't believe in any sort of god.

It has been proved in psychology it has been proved humans need to believe in irrational things in order to have a stability in his mind.

In clear people will place their fate in many things, I think many people of Felarya are in majority religious. Because in this world the angel exist and the demons exist Laughing
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 6:25 pm

Ah well I though several times about that and never came with a satisfying answer ^^; ( like having the same thing that give the vore effect to Felarya also give the same common language to its inahbitants... hum )

But I am certainly open to suggestions XD
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 4:54 am

GREGOLE wrote:

I'd really just think that any predators that were atheist would be so because they just really don't think about it at all. I see them as not caring either way. And any humans or prey that weren't already atheist would become disillusioned and forsake whatever god(s) they had.

But back to the whole 'language thing'. Who says that said hypothetical language bacteria, or microscopic language bees, or whatever evolved? It very well could have been created by a hyper intelligent race in a dimension of linguistics or some such reason. After coming to Felarya eons ago, and finding chaos, every species fighting and speaking different languages, they released this 'Super Babel Virus' over the jungle, allowing all the species to communicate effectively, and Felarya evolved into chaos, many species fighting and speaking the same language.

It's plausible!
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 9:46 am

Quote :
I'd really just think that any predators that were atheist would be so because they just really don't think about it at all. I see them as not caring either way. And any humans or prey that weren't already atheist would become disillusioned and forsake whatever god(s) they had.

You missed the entire joke. XP
Back to top Go down
Googlememan
Survivor
Survivor
Googlememan

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 10:00 am

Pendragon wrote:
Not to go offtopic, but wouldn't Karbo himself be considered God in Felarya, should he ever step into that world?

He did make a good portion of the world, and what a world it is.

hummmm yeah i guess he would be considered god
Back to top Go down
http://DecepticonBarricade.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 10:05 am

Quote :
'. Who says that said hypothetical language bacteria, or microscopic language bees, or whatever evolved?
I disagree with that because it's as if you tell the magic soil of Felarya helps you to speak other language.
Because when we born we don't know how to speak we learn how to speak.
In clear even if there is a virus which helps you the only thing it will do it's to alter our vocal cords but we will always learn to speak. In that case all the life form of Felarya will speak Laughing

Why on Earth we speak all english it's because english it's easier to lern in theory Razz

Even that there is many difference by example the english an amercian use it's different the english the british speaks due to the difference of culture.

Come back to Felarya, why the sentient Predators like naga know how to speak it's simple. In general the predator study it's prey, it learns all its habits and where it can strike ect... Like the cat plays with the mouse it's for study its reaction.

How a predator knows our language it's just because its ancestors learned from the humans their language and taught it to their descendants Laughing

Be close of your friend and even closer from your ennemy Evil laugh
Back to top Go down
Feign
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Feign

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 10:30 am

It does seem that if Felarya is a world that could be explained by some ancient civilization having conquered age, disease, and dimensional travel (all with pretty disastrous unforeseen consequences) then they may have had an equally widespread (and persistent) solution to communication barriers.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 2:38 pm

A question what about the writing Question
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Language Barrier in Felarya   Language Barrier in Felarya Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Language Barrier in Felarya
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next