Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Classic Videogames

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Classic Videogames Empty
PostSubject: Classic Videogames   Classic Videogames Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 11:26 pm

Sega, Nintendo, even PC we can talk about here.

Though honestly, I'm making this thread for a game probably no one has ever heard of. Nox - by Westwood. Just a couple hours ago I was figuring out what to do and I said to myself "when was the last time I played NOX?" So I popped it in, and got entrenched all over again. I've been wondering about a sequel since sequels have been popular lately...but the problem with Nox is that it was released within months of Diablo 2, and it failed only because of poor marketing - not because it was a poor game.

Nox plays like diablo, and has armor rating like diablo, but that plays a secondary role at best. Diablo all you have to do is grind, and your tactics are either retreat or advancing; drinking potions, resistances, armour rating, block rating, whatever. Nox requires more skill because you dodge missiles and even melee attacks manually. Shields are also manual, melee weapons have range, hell - moving and attacking are two separate mouse buttons (if im not mistaken, diablo has movement and attacking one mousebutton, and WASD controls your direction). You can overtake stronger enemies with worse equipment because of this. Multiplayer also had CTF, FFA, I dunno what other games online back in the 90s even had that.

Not to bash diablo, oh I get my diablo fix in believe me, but few games are as comparable to me or are more dear to my heart than Nox. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H4NU3u9sSjE#!

anyway, that was my advertising campaign, didn't you just love it? Very Happy

Though I expect this thread to delve into megaman, zelda, metroid, and other stuff, which doesn't bother me, I just wanted to make people aware of Nox. Also if anyone else actually played it...I'd like to know.
Back to top Go down
AzureJass
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
AzureJass

Classic Videogames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Videogames   Classic Videogames Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 1:42 pm

I've heard of Nox but never played it, poor Westwood Sad

I am not gonna talk bout Zelda or Megaman , even though I liked them I never grew up with them, but I am gonna talk about a game I really adore, and that is Silent Hill 2:
Classic Videogames 617639-sh2

It's a true horror game, with claustrophobic environments, creepy atmosphere and an impending sense of danger. The music is freaking amazingly well composed to match the tone and the situation you're in, Akira Yamaoka is truly a master composer.

But what sets Silent Hill 2 apart from any other horror games however is it's storyline, unlike 98% of video games which had a B-movie storyline, this game a very deep and interesting storyline which can touch you in way unlike any other game ever, with themes like love, death guilt and pain, it's heavy use of symbolism in it's enemies, environments and storyline is unlike any other game and pus even the old school Final Fantasy games to shame !

To me this game is a piece of art, and anyone who disagrees is free to debate me !
Back to top Go down
McKindle
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
McKindle

Classic Videogames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Videogames   Classic Videogames Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, if you would please all rise for the one and only...

Classic Videogames 9zy4o3

Thanks in part to the fact I ran out of time and money to keep up with video games a long time ago, this remains one of the true classics in my mind. It had the most witty, charming air of self-parody to it, but that raison d'ĂȘtre never got in the way of it's simple, effective, challenging gameplay. It's just such a shame the planned sequel never blossomed. Go Tommy's Trotters! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Greyman
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

Classic Videogames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Videogames   Classic Videogames Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 1:12 pm

AzureJass wrote:

It's a true horror game, with claustrophobic environments, creepy atmosphere and an impending sense of danger. The music is freaking amazingly well composed to match the tone and the situation you're in, Akira Yamaoka is truly a master composer.

But what sets Silent Hill 2 apart from any other horror games however is it's storyline, unlike 98% of video games which had a B-movie storyline, this game a very deep and interesting storyline which can touch you in way unlike any other game ever, with themes like love, death guilt and pain, it's heavy use of symbolism in it's enemies, environments and storyline is unlike any other game and pus even the old school Final Fantasy games to shame !

To me this game is a piece of art, and anyone who disagrees is free to debate me !

Silent Hill 2 was actually the least favorite out of the ones I played (which don't include Shattered Memories and Downpour) . My personal faves are the original and Homecoming, with SH3 easily taking the bronze.

Right now, I'm replaying Super Mario 64, with the intention of FINALLY getting all 120 stars...then STILL getting to the castle roof the hard way!
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Classic Videogames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Videogames   Classic Videogames Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 4:27 pm

I got like 94 stars, then someone misplaced my game after I lent it away. I keep getting people who "misplace" my games. >_>
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Classic Videogames Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Videogames   Classic Videogames Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Classic Videogames
Page 1 of 1