Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.

Go down 
+3
jedi-explorer
EvilGenius
Merku
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Merku
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Merku

Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Empty
PostSubject: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 4:55 am

Now in Nature defenses against predators come in an amazing variety of forms from practical and expected to the down right weird but surprisingly effective.

I was watching squid girl some and a thought occurred. How effective would an Ink bladder be to esaping a Giant Predator?

Spoiler:

Now against somebody the same size well it's both pointless and excessive.. But Could it work against say a Giant Naga or Harpy? Realistically speaking it would merely be an distraction however you could aim for the eyes and they might drop you as even for a Giant ink in the eyes probably would sting.

Thoughts? Opinion?

Last edited by Merku on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EvilGenius
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 11:53 am

Venom would work more effectively on land, and be more useful as well.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 4:51 pm

Hmm sounds interesting. I think something like this should be in the Chaelana Shaper's good bag on the wiki since I think the likelyhood of land based creature evolving
a defense like this isn't super likely and besides it would benefit anyone who was willing and able to make a trip to see the Shapers.
Back to top Go down
Merku
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Merku

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 6:27 pm

EvilGenius wrote:
Venom would work more effectively on land, and be more useful as well.

Considering Venon to kill something that large either must be in a very large quanity or be very very potent.

However as long as it's Black stings if gets in the eyes or up the nose then it doesn't need to be a lethal substance at all.

jedi-explorer wrote:
Hmm sounds interesting. I think something like this should be in the Chaelana Shaper's good bag on the wiki since I think the likelyhood of land based creature evolving
a defense like this isn't super likely and besides it would benefit anyone who was willing and able to make a trip to see the Shapers.
Well land based creatures with similar abilities do exist not on the same scale but that's not to say it'd be entirely impossible either. Realistically speaking if an Humanoid species were to have such a mechanism it'd only contain enough of the substance to attempt an escape once before requiring an good amount of time to generate more of the stuff and the bladder to fill back up. In short it wouldn't be able to be used frequently.

An example of an Similarly described species would be the Spitting cobra which has specialized fangs which allow for bite injects or to literally spit it's venom at threatening animals. Though in this case the venom spat is a small amount since it's a fairly small creature it isn't quite on the level I described.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Merku, please use spoiler tags when showing large images.
Back to top Go down
EvilGenius

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 7:49 pm

It doesn't need to kill, venom if squirted in the eyes is going to cause burning and blinding, try looking up the spitting cobra.
Back to top Go down
Merku
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Merku

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 5:29 am

Sorry about that Stabs.

EvilGenius wrote:
It doesn't need to kill, venom if squirted in the eyes is going to cause burning and blinding, try looking up the spitting cobra.
I get your point. However the deffense in question is ink not venom spitting. Heck It could be gravy that's spat at the predators but as long as it bother's their eyes enough they let go of you to try to get it out it'd still work.

Course on the downside of a Gravy spitting defense you'd be the prey of choice since I'm sure alot of predator's would love some gravy on their meals. geek
Back to top Go down
EvilGenius

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 am

i do not think ink would be effective on land. It is meant to be used as a smoke screen, but it doesn't hang in the air. In the water it would be far more effective, as proven by aquatic earth fauna.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 12:36 pm

Quote :
i do not think ink would be effective on land. It is meant to be used as a smoke screen, but it doesn't hang in the air.

Ah but what if it could hang in the air? Let's face it Felarya is a weird place that defies pyshics everyday before breakfast. Sandwhales for example. Why not use flying ink or some magical substance that looks and acts like ink only that it floats in the air? Just thinking aloud.
Back to top Go down
Venom Agato
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Venom Agato

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Merku wrote:
Now in Nature defenses against predators come in an amazing variety of forms from practical and expected to the down right weird but surprisingly effective.

I was watching squid girl some and a thought occurred. How effective would an Ink bladder be to esaping a Giant Predator?

Spoiler:

Now against somebody the same size well it's both pointless and excessive.. But Could it work against say a Giant Naga or Harpy? Realistically speaking it would merely be an distraction however you could aim for the eyes and they might drop you as even for a Giant ink in the eyes probably would sting.

Thoughts? Opinion?

That's........... Seems kind of gross actually but if they were lifting her up like most Felaryan predators do to prey then she could ink them right in the eye's, hopefully long enough for an escape or at least to hide.
Back to top Go down
http://bioshockreborn.proboards.com
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 2:37 pm

What if instead of ink, the creature just vomited normal fluids, but in huge ammounts?

Stomach acids in the eye would be a bitch XD

Back to top Go down
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 5:14 am

jedi-explorer wrote:
Quote :
i do not think ink would be effective on land. It is meant to be used as a smoke screen, but it doesn't hang in the air.

Ah but what if it could hang in the air? Let's face it Felarya is a weird place that defies pyshics everyday before breakfast. Sandwhales for example. Why not use flying ink or some magical substance that looks and acts like ink only that it floats in the air? Just thinking aloud.

Well something like that could be interesting, but I don't think we would be able to call that ink anymore xD

PS: that picture just made me want to watch the full serie , hehe Razz
Back to top Go down
http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/
Venom Agato
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Venom Agato

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:36 pm

DarkOne wrote:
What if instead of ink, the creature just vomited normal fluids, but in huge ammounts?

Stomach acids in the eye would be a bitch XD

Like a defense mechanism or are you referring to a last minute get away?
Back to top Go down
http://bioshockreborn.proboards.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.   Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strange natural defense thought. Ink gland.
Page 1 of 1