Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...

Go down 
+59
Prof.Nekko
Jasconius
French snack
walkingbyself
Jætte_Troll
ravaging vixen
TheLightLost
luke112
alliance
Anime-Junkie
Stabs
Tuc135
Archmage_Bael
Asuroth
timing2
JohnDoe
EliteCreature
FalconJudge
SuperPieGuy9
CauldronBorn24
zelda31
Chris The Great...maybe
codaman
TankHunter678
Reptillian
11cookeaw3
Byakugan01
L'Ryn
Rade
S-Guy
Rythmear
Jibsy0
servomoore
/Fish/
Feign
Sineria.
TheQuantumMechanic
observer88
Sephimink|Kyle
dlausactor6373
Garnet
Daimo
bigman27622
MegaDan5
ZionAtriedes
Oldman40k2003
gwadahunter2222
DorianTheBlind
Mentalguy
Delicious Kevin
Warrior3000
rcs619
Karbo
Raetsu Lord Pichu
GREGOLE
Shady Knight
Pendragon
Malahite
Raveolution
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 11:37 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
TheQuantumMechanic wrote:
Don't you remember the very first rule of the Death Note?

A human whose name is written in this note shall die.

On Felarya, the only things a Death Note would be good for is helping you kill other humans, committing suicide by writing your own name in it to avoid death by being eaten and digested, and keeping you from going to Hell and being eaten by Menyssan in the afterlife.

So that's why that Death Note I switched with Katrika's diary didn't do anything...

Shocked

What? Evil laugh

Laughing Great plan, it's just the technicalities that tripped you up. Very Happy

dlausactor6373 wrote:
I think the term "human" as used in the Death Note would apply to any being classified as a humanoid. Almost all of the creatures in Felarya can be classified as humanoids. Even being only part human could classify you as a humanoid.

A "human" is a "humanoid", but a "humanoid" is not a "human". This is not just a matter of me being picky; the way a Death Note works is a textbook example of Rule-based magic. Light spent a good part of the series figuring out exactly what its limitations were and making sure he understood the rules by which it operated, all of which were specific and literal.

Do you really think that an object bound by rules that go so far as to specify the following exactly: "If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the subject's name, it will happen.", "If the cause of death is not specified, the subject will simply die of a heart attack.", and "After writing the cause of death, the details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds." would say "human" if it really meant "living being", or "vaguely human shaped creature"?

Sorry, it's just not internally consistent. In the context of the series, a Death Note is a book that a Shinigami uses to write down human names and take their lives. That is what a Death Note is. In the context of the series, a Shinigami is a being that takes human life to extend its own lifespan. That is what a Shinigami is. In this case, it's pretty obvious that a Death Note will work on a predator... if that predator is human. A naga is not "a human", so writing its name in a Death Note is simply irrelevant under typical circumstances.

Now, if you have a Death Note and a Polymorph Other spell... In D&D, Polymorph Other actually changes the nature/type of a creature to that of the creature you polymorph it into. In this case, you can make a Naga become a Human, and subject to the rules of a Death Note.

Edit: Besides, think about it. Shinigami are humanoid, and they can die. If "a human" in this case meant "a humanoid", Light would not have had to go to the lengths he did to set up Rem and remove her from the picture. He could've just written her name down in the Death Note and been rid of her.
Back to top Go down
http://the-quantum-mechanic.deviantart.com/
Jibsy0
Helpless prey
Jibsy0

Location : on my naga friends shoulder careful shes looking at you

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 12:51 am

I came in late on a starcraft conversation T_T oh well what i would like to see would be a predator eating an infested Terran now that would be funny...of course it would taste horrible
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 4:44 am

I'm only going to say this once. Lay one negative finger on Crisis or ANY of the others, and I will personally destroy you.
Back to top Go down
MegaDan5
Great warrior
Great warrior
MegaDan5

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 7:50 am

Rythmear wrote:
I'm only going to say this once. Lay one negative finger on Crisis or ANY of the others, and I will personally destroy you.

I suppose that another Predator might do the trick. Divine Dragon, anyone?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bmxracerad.com
observer88
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
observer88

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 8:09 am

Raveolution wrote:

What about Kane and the Brotherhood of NOD? He would lay down the smackage. He has a knack for reverse engineering things and could probably incorporate magic into his arsenal. He'd learn secrets about Felarya fairly quick, plus he's EXTREMELY expansionistic, which would put him at risk for you-know-what. He'd subvert the Miratans by offering food to their starving people. Before long the Miratans will have a Brotherhood of NOD outbreak in their own ranks by the time they even KNOW about Kane. "All your base are belong to Kane!" And what he didn't conquer, he would foul up with Tiberium.

I shit you not, Kane would upgrade the Delurans' weapons and absolutely hammer the Nagas down. He would want the Delurans to join his cause and he would find out in a hurry how to manipulate them, and the Delurans are just BEGGING to be manipulated. On Felarya it's all about bodies that he can put into his war machines.

Kane's worst problem is the Naxylan Dridders. He's gonna drink lots of Hate-rade when they come calling. Then he's going to be their worst problem. EVER.

Meanwhile, GDI would follow Kane, butt heads with the Miratans, and get totally friggin crushed.
I like how you think, brother. But we must not let those roaming cultists learn of our operations lest a higher power interfere with Kane's plans. We should first observe how would tiberium interact in this world.

By the way, I always hear how Storm Sprites always pwn anything electronic. I suggest having some sort of non-metallic armor capable of insulating electrically, or an electromagnetic field generator capable of repelling foreign electrical interference or something like that. Although I realize that communications channels may leave an opening...
Back to top Go down
http://observer88.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 8:33 am

Rythmear wrote:
This a warning not to state what could harm them (Lookie, A Shiva Nuke!), or to not turn this into a negative comment thread?
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 8:45 am

Malahite wrote:
(Lookie, A Shiva Nuke!)
Ooooohhh, Halo reference!

Guys, I'm gonna stick with the explosive weaponry. Ain't never done me wrong before.
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 8:57 am

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Malahite wrote:
(Lookie, A Shiva Nuke!)
Ooooohhh, Halo reference!

Guys, I'm gonna stick with the explosive weaponry. Ain't never done me wrong before.

Explosives work fine in most situations (it's usually only a matter of how big a boom you need). At least, until you encounter a creature that can't be harmed by physical (ie, non-magical means). A plain ole bomb just isn't going to cut it there, regardless of the yield.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 9:06 am

A plain ole bomb just isn't going to cut it there, regardless of the yield.
That's why you bless the bomb.
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:08 am

Malahite wrote:
A plain ole bomb just isn't going to cut it there, regardless of the yield.
That's why you bless the bomb.

Yeah, I know. Very Happy (Really need a "thumbs up" emoticon). I just like pointing things like that out so people start thinking about the workarounds. Like the "Death Note + Polymorph Other" solution I pointed out to the dilemma of a Death Note not being able to kill a Naga. I've seen people come up with some really creative solutions that I would have never thought of on my own, to what seem like impossible problems.

"Okay, men. We've identified a high-priority target. All we have are RPGs and plenty of bodies to deliver them. Unfortunately, said target is a particular sort of demon, and RPGs won't do squat to it. I need solutions, what do you got for me?"

"Anybody? Anybody at all? Yes, Simmons?"

"Well, sir... why don't we, uh, just bless the RPG round?"

"... That will never work. You can't bless an explosion."

"No, but you can bless the casing, which will shatter when the round explodes, and turn into shrapnel. Blessed shrapnel."

"... I like the way you think, Simmons." Shocked

Heh. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:25 am

Blessed Canister Shot. Got to love it.

For biological things, the Bioshock Plasmids would be a wonderful thing for Felaryan demihumans... if not for the insanity it usually causes. Winter Blast can drain well over 40mJ of energy from someone (And could very easily freeze a Predator's brain and kill them), the Inferno power ranges up to orangish-yellow flames can can apparently melt car-sized areas of ice instantaneously (It could very likely immolate whole limbs of a Predator), the Electrobolt apparently fires 1000 Volts when used (Which, depending on how it's fired, may be enough to overload any nervous functions), etc.

The Target Dummy would also be hilarious to watch in use for some things. Faerie wanders over to mess with the panicky human... and finds out it's only a 'hologram' right before it suddenly is turned into a popsicle. Mermaid swims upstream to snatch the Neko... and has the water around it suddenly charged with enough energy to power a house.

The reason I don't suggest these for Felaryan Predators is the fact that many of these are not really worth use for them (Other than TK, as I could see a Predator lifting precise humans from a group to snatch and eat). Many Predators do not prefer to eat cooked / dead prey, freezing a human leaves them with something that if improperly eaten could bring harm to them (And, again, is a dead prey), etc. The Insect Swarm might be scary, though, for any Predator attempting to attack a Faerie. Can one imagine how large a nest (And how big the insects) that could fit in something like a fully grown Dryads arm (And, with the lack of need for many organs, majority of the body)?

Though I digress, Bioshock Plasmids would play merry hell with Felaryan Predators.
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:54 am

Malahite wrote:
Blessed Canister Shot. Got to love it.

Evil laugh

Malahite wrote:
For biological things, the Bioshock Plasmids would be a wonderful thing for Felaryan demihumans...

Going off on a tangent for a moment; I know it is an utter shame, but I still haven't played Bioshock. Sad I've heard how awesome it is in many respects (the game system, the storyline, the universe itself from a worldbuilding perspective), and my system can handle it just fine, and I want to play it. But it'll have to wait until I can afford to buy another harddrive to replace the 500 gigger that died as soon as the warranty was up. Very Mad I mostly use my computer for work, and I just don't have the disk space to spare for a game at the moment, no matter how awesome it is. sobsob

Getting back on point, Plasmids seem like they would work beautifully. Even the ones that might not be enough to directly harm a predator could have some fantastic uses; in the natural cycle of Predation, all defenses come down to a matter of deterrence. You don't have to necessarily kill something if you can distract, impede, or stall it long enough to escape.

Even if that Inferno Plasmid isn't enough to severely injure a Predator, setting its hair on fire might do a damn fine job of keeping it occupied while you move that Arrow way at a high rate of speed. Smile

Edit: Although, that begs the question of what effect Felarya's environment might eventually have on Plasmids. If they grow stronger or mutate, it could create certain... issues. Say, if they become self-sustaining and sentient. Might not be too bad if they're friendly; but if they decide they don't like you, or even worse, they decide they should be the boss of you...

Yeah, could be a problem. Wink
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 12:50 pm

Quote :

Aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwhhhh, now I got to!

I wonder if a Guyver could stand up to a typical pred...
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 1:47 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Quote :

Aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwhhhh, now I got to!

I wonder if a Guyver could stand up to a typical pred...

I believe so. Most primary heroes from any given Tokusatsu show would be able to, and Biobooster Armor Guyver is basically a Toku-themed manga/anime. Heck, I think any Guyver would be able to take on the average predator without breaking a sweat, and probably give more powerful ones a run for their money... and that's not even taking into account the Guyver Gigantic or Exceed transformations.

Also, most Lost Numbers and Hyper Zoanoids would be on par with or exceed the average predator in terms of power, and guys like Aptom and the Zoalords have a power level of "Way the hell higher than yours" compared to all but the most powerful predators. Archanfel singlehandedly stopped a meteor the size of Mars from destroying the Earth with the power of his mind. Sure, it took him a while to recover afterwards, but, seriously. Shocked
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 2:11 pm

Does the commander in question happen to be a Sergeant in a particular Red Army?
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 2:13 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:

Does the commander in question happen to be a Sergeant in a particular Red Army?

Considering the lack of criticism involving the circumventing of another Red Army soldier's death, I'd assume not.
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:55 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:

Malahite wrote:
Considering the lack of criticism involving the circumventing of another Red Army soldier's death, I'd assume not.

I was wondering if anyone was going to make that connection. Laughing cheers
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 8:56 am

Malahite wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:

True, true. If it was more like "I like the way you think, Simmons. Grif, make a distraction while we carry out Simmons's plan." Then a mixed reply of "Fuckberries!" and "Great idea, sir.", then it'd be obvious.

The QuantumMechanic wrote:
I was wondering if anyone was going to make that connection.
RVB FTW!
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 9:03 am

Some Deus Ex biomods would be hilarious on Felarya, especially if they read magic the same as technological attacks. For example, 200m Aggressive Defensive System. Faerie readies the most powerful fireball it can, prepares to throw it at the humanoid... and has it blow up in its own face.
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 10:02 am

Malahite wrote:
Some Deus Ex biomods would be hilarious on Felarya, especially if they read magic the same as technological attacks. For example, 200m Aggressive Defensive System. Faerie readies the most powerful fireball it can, prepares to throw it at the humanoid... and has it blow up in its own face.

Laughing

Other Deus Ex biomods with the potential to drive Predators nuts:

Microfibral Muscle (Maxed): "That... that human just picked me up and threw me!" confused
Combat Strength (Maxed): "... Um, did that guy just floor a Naga with one punch?" Shocked
Environmental Resistance: "Hurry up and digest already, damn you!" Mad
Regeneration (Maxed): "This hurts like hell, but I can keep it up until you. Spit. Me. Out!" Very Mad
Cloaking: "Come on, even with flaws, invisibility can always be useful." Razz
Radar Transparency: "That's weird, I could've sworn I sensed a human right around here..." scratch
Vision Enhancement (Maxed): "Yeah, sure. We could go set up camp under that tree. Only it isn't really a tree." Cool

Tons of potential here, assuming they interact with magic similarly to the way they interact with technology. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MegaDan5
Great warrior
Great warrior
MegaDan5

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 4:18 pm

Have the Burning Gundam go in and kick some butt!
Back to top Go down
MegaDan5
Great warrior
Great warrior
MegaDan5

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 4:34 pm

To counter the Storm Sprites, you use an infantry - armor combination. The infantry provides protection for the armor and the armor protects the infantry.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 2:59 am

Topics merged.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 8:49 pm

observer88 wrote:
I like how you think, brother. But we must not let those roaming cultists learn of our operations lest a higher power interfere with Kane's plans. We should first observe how would tiberium interact in this world.
LOL ain't that the truth.
Spoiler:

Quote :
By the way, I always hear how Storm Sprites always pwn anything electronic. I suggest having some sort of non-metallic armor capable of insulating electrically, or an electromagnetic field generator capable of repelling foreign electrical interference or something like that. Although I realize that communications channels may leave an opening...
Set up the communications lines with lossless data mode. As soon as a storm sprite enters the line, convert it to LOSSY mode. Storm sprite re-emerges all garbled up. But you have to be fast - s/he probably moves at relativistic speed. Use a lot of ohm (resistance)-generators and repeaters (boosters) to slow him/her down.

Either that or bait her to come out in storm mode, right into water...
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 8:55 pm

Storm Sprites also work horribly against most Steam Punk realms.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...   What is the best tactical and strategic offense against... - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is the best tactical and strategic offense against...
Page 7 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next