Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fairy Wings

Go down 
+4
GREGOLE
Ewin
macdaddy
Shady Knight
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Fairy Wings Empty
PostSubject: Fairy Wings   Fairy Wings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 6:18 am

Something that bugs me a bit, I just keep seeing fairies with either dragonfly wings, or butterfly wings. It ticks me a bit, there's almost no variety. Is there any other type of wings a fairy can have rather than dragonfly or butterfly? I gave mine mayfly wings to break the habit, but so far I think I'm the only one who did so. I just don't get why so far, I only saw fairy with dragonfly or butterfly wings, I think we need more variety.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
macdaddy
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
macdaddy

Fairy Wings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Wings   Fairy Wings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 6:43 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Something that bugs me a bit, I just keep seeing fairies with either dragonfly wings, or butterfly wings. It ticks me a bit, there's almost no variety. Is there any other type of wings a fairy can have rather than dragonfly or butterfly? I gave mine mayfly wings to break the habit, but so far I think I'm the only one who did so. I just don't get why so far, I only saw fairy with dragonfly or butterfly wings, I think we need more variety.

what do you really expect? there isnt too much variety in wings in nature.. lol
what about airplane wings or helicopter propellers?

and what about bat wings, i think ive seen some characters with those
Back to top Go down
Ewin
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Ewin

Fairy Wings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Wings   Fairy Wings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 7:27 am

Loads of variations if you look around. These are by an unknown artist I found.

Fairy Wings Fairy5

Fairy Wings Fairy13

They generally have insect style wings because of their size. If they had something else they wouldn't be Fairies. geek
Back to top Go down
http://elvenskies.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Fairy Wings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Wings   Fairy Wings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 9:14 am

Dragonfly wings, dayfly, mayfly and all those wings really don't look all that different on their own. I've seen fairies that might have wasp wings or might have mosquito wings.

No criticism meant, but most of the time when Karbs draws fairies, he doesn't focus on the wings a whole lot. From there, we only get a basic idea of what the wings are intended to look like with little attention to anatomy.

The bio, for instance, says Melany has butterfly wings, but the picture looks more like they belong to a damselfly.

Personally, rather than base their wings on real insects, I prefer to look at them as generic insect wings and customize them based on the fairy species rather than model them after any sort of insect. Afterall, unchanged dragonfly wings would never allow a fairy to fly. They would have to function more like those of a bumblebee.
Back to top Go down
Mickilla
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Mickilla

Fairy Wings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Wings   Fairy Wings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 9:22 am

Even when sticking within the category of insects, there's plenty of variety. Dragonflies and other members of the order onadata are the most common, but dipteran, hymenopteran, and hemipteran wings have worked very nicely as well. Orthopteran wings, especially those belonging to members of the family phasmidae, are very long and thin, they could be used but it would look rather awkward, while coleopterans have wide, bulky wings that would be out of place. Frankly I take preference to the shape of the wings of the ichneumon wasp, Megarhyssa macrurus. Here's a lovely picture of one. If anything should go on a fairy's back, that's it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcarlos/823983209/
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

Fairy Wings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Wings   Fairy Wings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 11:36 am

There are a plethora of wings that could be used outside of the two so far. The real reason for having just those two so far, is that the main fairies Karbo devised are all one pack. They don't represent the full diversity of the fairy race.

Also I agree with Gregole. He's always right.

Now, I don't know much about all this sciency, insectoid, mumbo jumbo, so give it to me straight. Is it possible for a fairy to have some sort of wing other than an insect type one? I dunno, a shimmering aura or something like that? Or is the insect type wing too iconic to remove?
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Fairy Wings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Wings   Fairy Wings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 12:06 pm

Silent_eric wrote:
There are a plethora of wings that could be used outside of the two so far. The real reason for having just those two so far, is that the main fairies Karbo devised are all one pack. They don't represent the full diversity of the fairy race.

Also I agree with Gregole. He's always right.

Now, I don't know much about all this sciency, insectoid, mumbo jumbo, so give it to me straight. Is it possible for a fairy to have some sort of wing other than an insect type one? I dunno, a shimmering aura or something like that? Or is the insect type wing too iconic to remove?
GREGOLE reminds me more and more of some other guy on another forum. Except the other one is more obnoxious.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Fairy Wings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Wings   Fairy Wings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Gregole : Ah well I hear ya, I'll try to bring much more variety in wings in the future ^^;
You are right this is something I never really focused on and it's very wrong. In general you can expect much more work on design on future doodles and drawing. This is something I feel is lacking in my work Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Zoekin
Grand-pop
Grand-pop
Zoekin

Fairy Wings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Wings   Fairy Wings Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 2:00 pm

Embarassed
I'm very sorry.
I keep meaning to look at the fairies wings but whenever those lovely ladies show up I get distracted for some reason.
(And I mean running for my life! What where you thinking?)
Back to top Go down
http://tanyastoviaka.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Fairy Wings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Wings   Fairy Wings Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 4:01 pm

haha XD
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
macdaddy
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
macdaddy

Fairy Wings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Wings   Fairy Wings Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 4:47 pm

Zoekin wrote:
Embarassed
I'm very sorry.
I keep meaning to look at the fairies wings but whenever those lovely ladies show up I get distracted for some reason.
(And I mean running for my life! What where you thinking?)

Laughing
of course, what else could of you meant? Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fairy Wings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Wings   Fairy Wings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fairy Wings
Page 1 of 1