Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

fairy wings.

Go down 
+13
zelda31
Silent_eric
Stabs
Saironthis
EliteCreature
Feadraug
Karbo
/Fish/
JohnDoe
Sillysausage
Anime-Junkie
GREGOLE
Archmage_Bael
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 11:26 am

I REALLY need something specified here. fairy wings, I've read things about people just "tearing off" fairy wings like it's paper. I disagree. A wing is an appendage, therefore you cant just "tear it off" plus fairies are saturated with magic, you cant tell me there's not SOME form of protection. I really would like this specified, cus just having fairy wings being as easy to damage as pouring water on paper gives them a huge mortal weakness, at which point they'd be more along the lines of "prey" than predators cus they'd be much less weaker.

I just realized i came off as a slightly angry. no harm ment, i just had a conversation with someone about this subject. >.<
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 12:23 pm

Yes, wings are appendages. Very small, very fragile, very easily torn off appendages. Not unlike those of a real insect.

Besides, fairies are spoiled rotten. They could use a weakness or two.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 1:42 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Yes, wings are appendages. Very small, very fragile, very easily torn off appendages. Not unlike those of a real insect.
I don't think they'd be that easy. Remember, the wings have to be able to it the fairy and move at very high speeds, this suggests some degree of strength. I doubt that they'd be able to be 'torn off' with bare hands, aa knife or something would be needed.
GREGOLE wrote:
Besides, fairies are spoiled rotten. They could use a weakness or two.
Indeed, they could. *Hefts mist web bottle*
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Quote :
I don't think they'd be that easy. Remember, the wings have to be able to it the fairy and move at very high speeds, this suggests some degree of strength. I doubt that they'd be able to be 'torn off' with bare hands, aa knife or something would be needed.

Maybe for a human-sized fairy. A fairy at its smallest size would be only slightly more durable than an insect.
Back to top Go down
Sillysausage
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Sillysausage

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 2:17 pm

Insect wings are generally pretty delicate, expecially at the joints, so I'd say if you had enough strength you might be able to tear one out of the socket, or at least disconnect it. And I think it's fair that they have this weakness too, their size-changing magic makes them one of the most powerful things, it's fair that they have a vulnerable spot to make up for it.
Back to top Go down
http://ironkitty.deviantart.com/
JohnDoe
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 2:30 pm

Depends at what size their are at the time.

Your only going to be tearing the wings off a fairy when their tiny anyway.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 2:31 pm

Fairies luckily aren't invulnerable so that they're not practically immortal, size-altering deities.

Carnivorous plants, lizards, what have you can hunt fairies by using the element of surprise and damaging their wings in the process. Wings are capable of being crumpled, shredded or amputated in order to handicap them. Does this mean that trying to catch one in your hand and pluck their wings off isn't a suicidal idea? No. They are fully capable of shrinking you and/or growing themselves out of that predicament if you're not prepared.

It seems totally viable and equalizing that they have a weakness to that extent. It isn't a super-exploitable vulnerability, but a logical one. Their top-tier magical abilities are stored in what is essentially a magical glass cannon.
Back to top Go down
Sillysausage
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Sillysausage

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 2:36 pm

JohnDoe wrote:
Depends at what size their are at the time.

Your only going to be tearing the wings off a fairy when their tiny anyway.

I doubt that. If you could somehow avoid the fairy growing themselves or shrinking you (practically impossible, probably), they'd still be pretty weak. Insects lose their wings to other similar-sized creatures all the time, there's no reason for delicate things like faeies to have tougher wings to specifically give them even more of an unfair advantage.
Back to top Go down
http://ironkitty.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 9:50 pm

makes sense. the magic helps, but to be fair, if a fairy grows in size, your no longer gonna be able to rip the wings off an 80ft tall fairy, at 6ft tall. the joint alone for their wings at that size would be difficult, strength increases with size, or natural strength at any rate. I dislike the wings being able to be torn like paper, plus, if a fairy lives long enough, it'd know how to defend it's wings anyway, so you cant just go *CHAAARGE!!! PLUCK! KILL!* its not that easy. even if another fairy tried to pluck another fairy's wings. so I agree with fish.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 9:54 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
makes sense. the magic helps, but to be fair, if a fairy grows in size, your no longer gonna be able to rip the wings off an 80ft tall fairy, at 6ft tall. the joint alone for their wings at that size would be difficult, strength increases with size, or natural strength at any rate. I dislike the wings being able to be torn like paper, plus, if a fairy lives long enough, it'd know how to defend it's wings anyway, so you cant just go *CHAAARGE!!! PLUCK! KILL!* its not that easy. even if another fairy tried to pluck another fairy's wings. so I agree with fish.

They're not paper. You won't tear them off at eighty feet tall if you're a human. You have nothing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 10:00 pm

thats what i was hoping someone would say actually. i've argued with people who get the implication that fairy wings are super easy to tear off like that, and that's what made me want to post this, cus i believe it IS an issue that needs clarifying. BADLY.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 10:07 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
thats what i was hoping someone would say actually. i've argued with people who get the implication that fairy wings are super easy to tear off like that, and that's what made me want to post this, cus i believe it IS an issue that needs clarifying. BADLY.

If they were as easy to dismantle as rice paper, fairies wouldn't so much as fly around with them. They'd treat their wings like ceramic vases.

If it needs clarifying, someone is just not thinking with their logic hat on.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 10:27 pm

nonetheless this topic has now been discussed, and anyone who needs clarification can come here if they honestly need convincing.

i am pretty satisfied with what i have heard in this topic.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 2:42 am

Well it's hard to say exactly how solid are a fairy wing.. For one I imagine that it would varies according to the species.
But in general they are certainly not like paper : they won't shred just because the fairy have flown quickly through a bush for example.
But it's clearly a weak point and if one had a chance at striking at a human-sized fairy's wings with a dagger, they would have no problem tearing them apart.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 4:57 am

One thing is clear: if you go against a fairy, attack her weak point - wings - for massive damage - bye bye magic -. I've played with this aspect: having my main fairy had her wings bent in an ugly way so she can't either fly or use magic. This makes a fairy an easy target for nearly everything, bad thing she's with experienced adventures.

But thinking of it, fairies should be very careful with their wings. After all, a bad move and they'll have to wait some days before their wings heal... that's if they aren't torn apart, which I think will take way longer, if the fairy doesn't lose them forever - I know the healing properties of the Felaryan soil, but still...

So unless you want them to look like that, fairies aren't godmodders - fortunatelly. Insects and carnivorous plants can take care of them easily, for example... and a good fairy hunter could do the same as well. Oh, and dridders too could find a way. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 7:37 pm

the way you say that, makes it sound like fairies have too many weaknesses :/

still more fair for the prey though Razz
Back to top Go down
EliteCreature
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
EliteCreature

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: hmm   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 8:25 pm

i would say fairies capture their meals mostly by appearing harmless and small at first...don you agree?
Back to top Go down
Saironthis
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Saironthis

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 8:33 pm

Usually. Becuase if they ran around as giants all the time, they might attract predators that wouldn't be afraid to use...not so felaryan methods.. (i.e. Tonorions) Even human size could be considered a little dangerous, as they might get ambushed by the not so discriminate Naga or other giant sized predator.
Back to top Go down
http://thatonedude236.deviantart.com/
EliteCreature
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
EliteCreature

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: true...   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 8:41 pm

hmm...does anybody have an amount of time it takes a fairy too go from smallest to biggest size?
Back to top Go down
Saironthis
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Saironthis

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 8:45 pm

The speed (From what I read in the manga) is not instant, but not slow. Counted in seconds, I'm certain.
Back to top Go down
http://thatonedude236.deviantart.com/
EliteCreature
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
EliteCreature

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 8:49 pm

man...i still haven't read the manga Crying or Very sad i kinda have to wait till i move out of my house....maybe Karbo will have written a third one by the time im in coledge
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 2:23 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
the way you say that, makes it sound like fairies have too many weaknesses :/

still more fair for the prey though Razz

It isn't exactly giving fairies a lot of weaknesses more than balancing them. If fairies didn't have any important weaknesses (fragile wings, insects, carnivorous plants), they wouldn't be a fun species to play with but a bunch of demi-goddesses that would do whatever they want.

Also, I think the hunting habits vary from one fairy to another. For example, looking at my first story, I used the old trick of "good fairy that helps people when she is actually tricking them for a good breakfast". I used a human-sized fairy, but maybe you could use a tiny fairy that then grows in size or shrinks the unfortnate fella in front of her... but yes, it depends on the fairy's preferences and all.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 1:37 pm

EliteCreature wrote:
hmm...does anybody have an amount of time it takes a fairy too go from smallest to biggest size?

Like Saironthis said it's really fast. a matter of seconds I think.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 6:58 am

But frankly, why would anyone bother tearing off their wings when you can tear off their head just as easily? Evil laugh Tear off their wings, you get a blood feud forever. Bite off their heads (or snap their necks at human size) and you get a dead fairy. Or even better: stab their livers, and you get a fairy with swiftly lowering blood pressure. Not only is their magic going to be impaired, but their ability to think and move too! Frankly, losing magic with damaged wings feel like a strength to me. Gives something else than the throat for overthinking foes to aim at.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 7:16 am

Stabs wrote:
But frankly, why would anyone bother tearing off their wings when you can tear off their head just as easily? Evil laugh Tear off their wings, you get a blood feud forever. Bite off their heads (or snap their necks at human size) and you get a dead fairy. Or even better: stab their livers, and you get a fairy with swiftly lowering blood pressure.

Fun Fact: The wonderful world of Felarya exudes an aura of healing from it's soil. Any wound that would be lethal in a long term is instead healed in a matter of weeks. Be sure your foe has been killed or it is likely they will heal up good as new in a month or so.

Fun Fact: There has been no fairy species sighted who has a head bigger than it's wings. In fact, the wings are their largest and most vulnerable area, easy to grab and mangle.

Fun Fact: Did you know you can get more for a living fairy than a dead one? Dead fairies make for bad pets, whereas live ones are much more energetic, and will delight a child for hours at a time. Fresh Fairy wings can also be used in several magical rites, as a boosting element. While not as powerful a boost as Ascarlin, fairy wings can be extremely potent tools in the hands of an experienced mage. However, wings must be plucked from a living fairy. Preferably under a twin full moon.

So remember, if you are a experienced fairy hunter, you don't just kill fairies. There is no profit in it. You capture them. And removal of the wings in tantamount in catching fairies alive.
And of course, if the fairy is hunting you, well you are just plain SOL. Giant fairies who can shrink you, and know dozens of other spells to boot are nigh impossible to immobilize or kill. In this case, run and hide, or attempt negotiation at last resort.

fairy wings. Nbc_the_more_you_know
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

fairy wings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: fairy wings.   fairy wings. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fairy wings.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next