Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tolkari Forest

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Xnithi
Tasty morsel

Tolkari Forest Empty
PostSubject: Tolkari Forest   Tolkari Forest Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 1:31 am

I'm new to the forum, and have only posted a handful of Felaryan works (under Facadepapergirl) on deviantart, so I understand if this comes under scrutiny. However, I love world-building! And whenever I make a character (even in an original world), I do a lot of research. Over the past few days, while working on a roleplay with my boyfriend, I've done a lot of research for building characters and stories.

With all of my research, I've come to realise that the area I'm most interested in for my characters is one that has no information at all! I've searched, and have come up with nothing. The Tolkari Forest wiki page hasn't been touched since 2015!

I'm sure Karbo and others have stories, art and worldbuilding for other areas to work on, so it's not surprising to find blank pages in the wiki. Felarya is huge, and there will always be something to work on. So, rather than whine about how I want this one specific thing to be worked on out of all the stuff that will always need expansion or improvement, I have some ideas.

The Tolkari Forest is situated between the Myrodia Coast, the Akaptor Desert, The Great Rocky Fields, The Forest of Whispers, and the Fairy Kingdom. Across the chasm is the Sunfell Thicket, along with normal Fairy Kingdom forests.

Given the location, it's probably hot and dangerous. It's labelled normal on the wiki, but I don't know if that's the default for any location page, or if normal is the intended danger level.

As a forest, between the presumably tropical Myrodia Coast and the thick Forest of Whispers, especially so close to the desert, I’m thinking that it’s a rainforest, thick with huge trees and carnivorous plants. Because it is so close to the low nutrient desert soil, the dry sands of the Coast, the emptiness of the chasm, and the presumably great magic and good soil that sustains so thick a forest of the Forest of Whispers (and its inhabitants), I’m thinking that the soil has low nutrients.

Given its location in relation to the sea, the mountains in Thayrn, the chasm, and the lakes and river of the Kingdom, the forest may well get the rainfall it needs. I think it’s humid, and the plants are made to prevent the waste of water. In fact, I can imagine water recycling, with miniature rain clouds beneath the canopy. Made by the plants, creatures, or just the climate? Not sure. A place where there’s a lot of water in the air, but only because the forest is keen on keeping it that way. Without the humidity, the water would just drain away, not even forming rivers as it flows through the loose soil to whatever aquifers or caverns await below.

So, going with the assumption that the ground is too loose and thin for bodies of water, many plants are likely made to draw water from the air, instead of the ground. Not only that, but they may be shaped to catch hold liquid water, either as pitchers, bladders or pools. Also, going back to low nutrients in the soil and perhaps low magic as well, I see a lot of carnivorous plants, using their water stores to entice creatures to come to drink.

Not all need be carnivorous. For example, a plant functioning as a birdbath gets a lot of, well, fertilizer, from visitors. So, a pool of water doesn't necessarily mean death, as encouraging fertilization is probably sufficient.

And, frankly, Felarya isn't exactly low on carnivorous plants, so while it’s likely that some unique species live here, what else makes this place stand out?

The Tolkari Forest is home to one end of the Tasenya Bridge, leading out of the Sunfall Thicket. The bridge is named after a powerful ghost. The Thicket has plenty of ghosts. The Desert is not a place thriving with life, and I can imagine lost travelers struggling to survive seeing the trees of Tolkari Forest and, desperate for salvation from the scorching sun, entering the forest on their last legs. Just standing in the Fields is asking for death, and those fleeing the Forest of Whispers or leaving Kortiki Town via the Ceiciel Bridge find themselves in the Tolkari Forest, a place desperate for nutrition.

See where I’m going with this?

Given the humidity, moss is everywhere. It covers the trees, the vines, the many, many stones that cover the ground. They cover the weird, beautiful coral-like growths that make up the forest floor. The moss is beautiful, more than just green, some blue or yellow and even red and purple. Hanging moss, moss that grow flowers emitting soothing, sleepy scents.

You stumble, the crunchy coral giving way beneath you, and you fall against a tree, throwing out your hand. It stops your fall, but not after wiping off some moss in the process. Funny, the trees didn't look white when you looked up, but underneath the moss, it’s bone white. Wait….

A tropical, humid, mass graveyard. A mixture of bright, vibrant, hot life with cold, dank death as undertones.

Despite describing it as such, another part of me wants bramble and scrubs. A chapparal forest, maybe, with frequent fires and heat resistant plants and creatures. Fire elementals, perhaps a subtype of dryad that is flame resistant, keese , etc. You get many burrowing types, rabbits, Scorpisaïs, fennec reynkes, inus, etc. I am way too tired to think more deeply on this, but it makes too much sense to just forgo typing it up.

Anyways, ideas, suggestions, input or output? I know that I certainly have not researched every region in Felarya, so I probably repeated elements found elsewhere. But, one must start somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://facadepapergirl.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Tolkari Forest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tolkari Forest   Tolkari Forest Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 4:34 pm

If you mean the area north of the fairy kingdom, wedged between it and the coast?

Yeah there have been some ideas around that area in the past, but nothing recent so far as I recall. As far as I go, I have been trying to put out ideas for the region west of the desert.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. It used to be incredibly active here but you've come at a bad time.

Hm, you seem to be throwing around some interesting ideas without forming the article yet. If that's the case, what makes this forest more unique? Felarya's forests are all insane and overgrown, however we all seem to like having some unique gimmick that sets it apart. Carnivorous plants are everywhere, but hte grove is where they're all concentrated. You seem to bring up influences from the fairy kingdom. Maybe being in such proximity makes all the plants have weird effects that go along well with fairies? Things the plants could do or look like that would be similar. Like large flower pedals shaped like fairy wings that produce powerful neurotic effects, or illusionary side effects based on weather conditions.

It seems to also be filled with weird plants, but also a graveyard. So are the trees dead then?
Back to top Go down
Xnithi
Tasty morsel

Tolkari Forest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tolkari Forest   Tolkari Forest Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 5:20 pm

No, the Tolkari Forest is west and south of the Fairy Kingdom, south of the Coast, directly east of the Akaptor Desert, and north of the Great Rocky Plains. The old map has trees there, but doesn't label them. The new map, however, names it as the Tolkari Forest.

Neurotic effects? Illusionary side effects? Yes, please! It may seem Wonderland-esque, but I like the idea of a forest that kind of drives you mad. Especially one that will probably get a lot of foot traffic.

And no, the trees are alive. The bones are from creatures. What someone assumes is a tree in my example is actually the bones of some huge creature.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

Tolkari Forest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tolkari Forest   Tolkari Forest Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 6:06 pm

Visitors?

Welcome to the forum, Xnithi. Let me begin by taking your thread to New Ideas, as there is no article on Tolkari at the moment; you are creating it from scratch, replacing a total stub.

EDIT: now I'll try to address as many of your points as possible.

Xnithi wrote:
Given the location, it's probably hot and dangerous. It's labelled normal on the wiki, but I don't know if that's the default for any location page, or if normal is the intended danger level.
It could be hot and dangerous. As for normal, I'd doubt the boss remembers why it was Normal.

Xnithi wrote:
As a forest, between the presumably tropical Myrodia Coast and the thick Forest of Whispers, especially so close to the desert, I’m thinking that it’s a rainforest, thick with huge trees and carnivorous plants. Because it is so close to the low nutrient desert soil, the dry sands of the Coast, the emptiness of the chasm, and the presumably great magic and good soil that sustains so thick a forest of the Forest of Whispers (and its inhabitants), I’m thinking that the soil has low nutrients.
I... would disagree. Desertic soils are not low in nutrients; in fact, the lack of water makes it so that minerals are rarely washed away as much. If you want to make it low in nutrients, I'd recommend making it so that the water cycle washes those away.

Xnithi wrote:
Given its location in relation to the sea, the mountains in Thayrn, the chasm, and the lakes and river of the Kingdom, the forest may well get the rainfall it needs. I think it’s humid, and the plants are made to prevent the waste of water. In fact, I can imagine water recycling, with miniature rain clouds beneath the canopy. Made by the plants, creatures, or just the climate? Not sure. A place where there’s a lot of water in the air, but only because the forest is keen on keeping it that way. Without the humidity, the water would just drain away, not even forming rivers as it flows through the loose soil to whatever aquifers or caverns await below.
If it gets the rainfall it needs, I'd say it's not wanting for water, particularly when you consider that the rest of Felarya isn't especially rainy either. If all the plants are conserving water, you'll want to have some sort of limitation on the water available.

Xnithi wrote:
So, going with the assumption that the ground is too loose and thin for bodies of water, many plants are likely made to draw water from the air, instead of the ground. Not only that, but they may be shaped to catch hold liquid water, either as pitchers, bladders or pools. Also, going back to low nutrients in the soil and perhaps low magic as well, I see a lot of carnivorous plants, using their water stores to entice creatures to come to drink.
If you don't want the place to hold water, I would recommend hilly terrain where the water table is squeezed out by the hills' weight- and streams that end at the chasm, where they just fall until they are completely mixed with the water, forming some sort of mist.

Xnithi wrote:
Not all need be carnivorous. For example, a plant functioning as a birdbath gets a lot of, well, fertilizer, from visitors. So, a pool of water doesn't necessarily mean death, as encouraging fertilization is probably sufficient.
Perhaps, we can make it so that there's water, but it's brackish, constantly cleaning out the soil of minerals while rendering it unsuitable for most animals' consumption, and it's freshwater that is scarce thus? It's close to the sea, where saltwater is... an ocean's worth.
Maybe the place is a biome fighting not to turn into a marsh?

Xnithi wrote:
And, frankly, Felarya isn't exactly low on carnivorous plants, so while it’s likely that some unique species live here, what else makes this place stand out?

Xnithi wrote:
The Tolkari Forest is home to one end of the Tasenya Bridge, leading out of the Sunfall Thicket. The bridge is named after a powerful ghost. The Thicket has plenty of ghosts. The Desert is not a place thriving with life, and I can imagine lost travelers struggling to survive seeing the trees of Tolkari Forest and, desperate for salvation from the scorching sun, entering the forest on their last legs. Just standing in the Fields is asking for death, and those fleeing the Forest of Whispers or leaving Kortiki Town via the Ceiciel Bridge find themselves in the Tolkari Forest, a place desperate for nutrition. See where I’m going with this?
Yes, I believe I do. But if the soil is any more depleted than elsewhere in Felarya, you might want to find a reason for that- or else, it'll be a place with an unusual concentration of nutrients rather than an unusual concentration of bizarre flora.

Xnithi wrote:
Given the humidity, moss is everywhere. It covers the trees, the vines, the many, many stones that cover the ground. They cover the weird, beautiful coral-like growths that make up the forest floor. The moss is beautiful, more than just green, some blue or yellow and even red and purple. Hanging moss, moss that grow flowers emitting soothing, sleepy scents.
You stumble, the crunchy coral giving way beneath you, and you fall against a tree, throwing out your hand. It stops your fall, but not after wiping off some moss in the process. Funny, the trees didn't look white when you looked up, but underneath the moss, it’s bone white. Wait….
A tropical, humid, mass graveyard. A mixture of bright, vibrant, hot life with cold, dank death as undertones.
That's an interesting idea- but you'd need something to keep the nutrients tight if there's something taking them away. Otherwise, there's no way to have a deader soil just because: the trophic cycle will put that right back on track sooner or later.

Xnithi wrote:
Despite describing it as such, another part of me wants bramble and scrubs. A chapparal forest, maybe, with frequent fires and heat resistant plants and creatures. Fire elementals, perhaps a subtype of dryad that is flame resistant, keese , etc. You get many burrowing types, rabbits, Scorpisaïs, fennec reynkes, inus, etc. I am way too tired to think more deeply on this, but it makes too much sense to just forgo typing it up.
A chaparral forest is not a terrible idea- there is a place in Felarya that already has wildfires as its core concept, the legendarily dangerous Green Hell. We could probably use more places with wildfires.

Needs some structure and more certainty in its concept, but overall a neat first try, Xnithi. Looking forward to seeing if you'll develop this.
Back to top Go down
Xnithi
Tasty morsel

Tolkari Forest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tolkari Forest   Tolkari Forest Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 9:15 pm

Most of my ideas were based off of there being little nutrients in the soil. So, scratch most of that!

The chaparral forest seems to be making the most sense. Also, I totally just want to have a place filled with adorable fennec renkyes. And, especially if the place is a sort of graveyard, it may be very nutrient rich - the opposite of my original idea. Ashes, I believe, are also good for growth. So, fast growing plants that are designed to burn, or resist fires. Perhaps many of these plants are fine as long as their roots are fine, and their seeds are fire resistant? So, when the leaves burn, the wind carries away ashes and seeds to a new place, kind of packed with fertilizer already?

Worldbuilding makes you need the nowledge of a geologist, biologist, anthropologist... a real learning experience.

So, not so much the hanging moss thing, but perhaps still the bones. And maybe bramble dryads with a "phoenix"-like system. Also, actual phoenixes. And phoenix harpies. Maybe a place of symbolic death and rebirth. Many die here, from flames, predators, maybe the air itself. Perhaps, influenced by Archmage_Bael's suggestion, these plant let loose various chemicals when burned, and the smoke has intoxicating and hallucinogenic effects, intended to encourage creatures passing through to fertilize the recently released seeds... with flesh and blood.

And, of course, there will be a big drug industry based off of this. However. It would be risky. After all, the fairies would know that people want these plants... all they have to do is wait for some would-be drug supplier to walk onto their "plate".

As for the "life" portion. I imagine plants grow back very quickly, once the smoke clears. In fact, the forest probably has a rustic beauty after a fire. It's probably at its greenest then, before growth slows and branches turn brown and red and such. Beautiful and precious flowers and fruits would grow there, briefly, before drying up in preperation for the next wildfire.

Homes for creatures would probably be underground, or high in the branches of a fire-resistant tree. One *could* theoretically build above ground, but the process seems too dangerous. Finished products, if any, would likely be tall spires, built to avoid flame and smoke. It would also have to be routinely checked for vines.

I have a bad habit of writin when tired, so now I'm too tired to think any further. However, I hope y'all like take 2!
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Tolkari Forest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tolkari Forest   Tolkari Forest Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 9:57 am

Welcome here Smile

yes for Tolkari, this is a zone that really hasn't been touched at all ^^; it's mostly just a name for now.

Quote :
Yes it's the default danger for a new zone, it doesn't means it should be of that danger in the end.

As for your idea, a zone with some sort of hallucinogenic air due to spores and plant burning sounds intriguing ^^  
I also imagine some critters from the Teferis forest could be found on the western part of Tolkari since the two locations are not far away.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Xnithi
Tasty morsel

Tolkari Forest Empty
PostSubject: Suggested Article   Tolkari Forest Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2018 10:21 pm

So, here's my attempt at a fully written article. Please let me know what you think, what needs to be changed, if it will be put in the wiki, etc. If it does go to the wiki, the hallucinogenics idea was Archmage_Bael's.

Tolkari Forest
Danger: Hazardous
Sub zones: Bone Spires, The Burrows
Inhabitants: fire and air elementals, phoenix harpies, reynkes, ghosts, brizz, fairies, phantom elves, goro-goro, bramble dryads, nagas, storm seekers, phoenixes, labrisomes

Tolkari forest is a chaparral forest in the west, between the Akaptor Desert, Fairy Kingdom and The Great Rocky Fields. It exemplifies the various dualities found in Felarya: The vicious predator who is sweet and friendly; The dangers and beauty; and life and death, itself. In a single day, its appearance can change: one day, you admire the vibrant reds, browns yellows and greens of the bushes, trees, vines, brambles and more. Strange plants, quick-growing and bizarre, grow in intricate shapes and patterns. The bushes rustle with creatures on the hunt, the sky sings with the few but beautiful bird breeds that live there. Strange gray spikes stand covered in vines, and carved with elaborate art.

And then, the fires. Perhaps an accident with a goro-goro. Perhaps it was time for a phoenix to molt. Perhaps a fire elemental lost a game of chess and threw a tantrum. Either way, quickly, fire spreads. It's as if the plants are made of paper, catching without any resistance. The larger trees, the strange spikes, and the Tolkari bramble dryads all seem to hardly be harmed, in comparison. Often times, just overnight, or during a particularly windy afternoon, everything that will burn does, and the place calms once again.

The Tolkari forest's beauty isn't marred by the flames, simply changed. Quite like snow, the ground is covered in ashes, and more often fall from the sky, a reminder of the blaze that just came through. The strange spikes are free from vines, and the artwork shines best here. But, beyond the beauty of a "snowy day", the very air has a mystical... um, "air" about it. Red, blue, purple, yellow, green - smoke and wind curls and dances through the air. A Tolkari Sunset is said to be a bucket list view for many adventurers. However, it comes at a price... the many plants and spices that flourish here release hallucinogentic smoke when burned. Which is great for those who want a good time, or to make a profit... if you can manage to get what you need before the air drives you insane. Not to mention, scooped up and eaten. The natives, having lived here for generations, have resistances that allow them to brave the smoke, looking for foolish adventurers who've lost their wits.

Given the Tolkari forest's location, it's usually on the best route from Kortiki Town to Kelerm. Many reynkes keep the main road clear of ash and plants, and work as guides for travelers. But, not as protectors... in the face of a dangerous predator, you may turn around and see them gone, and you on your own... no wonder they take partial payment beforehand.

The Burrows

Danger: Low
Inhabitants: reynkes, nagas
Characters:

In a forest with frequent wildfires, blinding smoke, hallucinogenic air and sneaky predators, you would think that few would find this a good place to live. And true, few would. But, those few are usually fennec reynkes. The place seems almost perfect for them! The smoke only accentuates their illusionary abilities, allowing them to simply walk up to bewildered prey, in many cases, or herd them into a trap. The fires are rarely a problem for them, because of The Burrows. The Burrows are more of a series of interconnecting burrows, each with their own name and leading clan. The tunnel system is extensive, covering most of the forest, and, according to rumors, include underground roads to the Akaptor Desert, The Great Rocky Plains, Tasenya Bridge, and Ceiciel Bridge! However, only the inhabitants know for sure, for only approved traders or friends of the reynkes are allowed in. The entrances cover the ground all over the forest, and, hidden under ash and plants, are very difficult to find before you get burned or eaten. Every reynke is taught to memorise them all in childhood, and are rarely in a position to be caught by flames, or predators.

They are not the only inhabitants, however. Subterranian nagas and gorgon nagas live there, as well. They were the original inhabitants, before reynkes came to Felarya, and the first time the two races met was not... entirely amicable, as is normal for Felarya, really. However, when the nagas' enemies, phantom elves, attempted to take advantage of the skirmishing, they banded together to drive them off. Appreciating the reynkes' magic, they allowed the newcomers to join them. Though, the reynkes usually tell of 'rescuing' the ungrateful and barbaric naga, and earning their place. Either way, the two live together now, and the news of one eating the other only comes up about once a month or so.

Besides the wide expanse and the many secret entrances, The Burrows are famed for their cuisine, as well. After all, so much food can be found above ground already cooked and spiced! By collecting fresh remains next to where the ideal plants were, one can mix together meat dishes that have a taste you can feel, in your mind! Of course, if plants are specifically planted in certain areas, and certain traps are kept to tangle up prey for easy cooking... well, that's rather convinient, isn't it? Captured prey are often tied up and left for wildfires, after careful preparation. After all, the reynkes are fans of doing their own hunting. The naga have adapted to cooked food as well, though their meals before the foxkin arrived was far more bland.

Bone Spires

Danger: Normal (or whatever is just above low)
Inhabitants: phantom elves, ghosts

The Bone Spires are exactly what they sound like. Using fire-resistant wood, ashes for mortar, and bones from prey, their dead, and creatures caught in the flames, the phantom elves that immigrated from the Sunfall Thicket built tall spires, carved with detailed elven art and script. Once seeing the Bone Spires, it becomes obvious what those strange spikes found around the chaparral are. Signposts, artwork, warnings - made of bones from huge creatures. The Bone Spires have a name, but few hear it. The Phantom elves are not particularly friendly to the living, xenophobic and hunters. Unlike the reynkes and nagas, they don't generally eat people. Though, that's never an absolute in Felarya. If you manage to survive the forest, their traps and wards, and make it to the spires, the elves have clearly decided that you don't mean them ill will. Still, unless you have something of value to them, they will not reveal how to enter their spires. And even if you do, you are usually blindfolded, and carried carefully to avoid knowing if you're going up or down. These buildings have no doors on lower levels, only on the higher ones, with bridges connecting them. Up there, the smoke is thin, no more bothersome than a light breeze. How they leave and enter is a carefully guarded secret, but it's unlikely it's through the ground.

The phantom elves here keep a lot of traditions and values from their Sunfall Thicket kin, including their association with spirits and ghosts. There are apartments and places specifically for ghosts, and they hold many ceremonies honoring those who have passed along. Unsurprisingly, ghosts like it there. Unfortunately, labrisomes are drawn to the place, too, and have to be combated with care. The warriors of the Bone Spires often wear skulls and bone armor, both to terrify outsiders, as well as simply a convenient defensive resource.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Tolkari Forest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tolkari Forest   Tolkari Forest Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2018 4:09 pm

It's an interesting idea Smile

The duality part is original but had me asking myself, what come of the zone once the fire has set? When the forest is burnt, does the vegetation somehow regrows at accelerated speed?

I quite like the idea of Reynkes living there and taking advantage of the hallucinogen fumes to reinforce their own illusions. I'm a bit less sure they could live in harmony with the nagas at such a close distance though.. i feel the Reynkes would eventually end up being eaten ^^;
As for a mean of defense for the Burrows, since they are so good at illusions, they could easily conceal the entrances I think and make several security layers maybe ?
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Xnithi
Tasty morsel

Tolkari Forest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tolkari Forest   Tolkari Forest Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2018 7:43 pm

Yes, the plants in the forest grow back quickly. With Felarya's soil's natural regenerative powers, plus the nutrient rich ashes, not to mention that these kinds of plants have adapted to live short, fast lives, it works to make it grow back fast. Chaparral thrives after burning even on Earth. So, Felarya, it would be exaggerated.

I never said they'd live in harmony... they tolerate each other because the nagas need the renkyes' magic to fight the phantom elves, and the renkyes need a place to live. It's more of a truce. And someone only eats another person about once a month or so. They try to just avoid angering each other, and don't mingle that much.
except when it's time to fight.

I mostly added the naga to have some diversity, really. However, this lead to some lore for the region, such as the war with the elves, and their history together. I like having a story and culture somewhat in the region. We could just scrap the naga, though, and have it foxes vs elves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tolkari Forest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tolkari Forest   Tolkari Forest Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tolkari Forest
Page 1 of 1