Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felaryan Languages

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
iZyren
Naga food
iZyren

Felaryan Languages Empty
PostSubject: Felaryan Languages   Felaryan Languages Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 5:19 am

Quite some time ago (maybe last year even) I brought up the idea of thinking out what kind of languages exist throughout Felarya (it was only in the chatbox).

Now as we are trying to reignite the sparks again, I felt like I should probably post some or all of the ideas I have been holding back (due to my inabilty to let something go if I don't consider it good enough).

So I have some questions along this;

1. How far of an area does the translating spell cover, is it limitless or how is it really? (In my own opinion I find it a bit lazy to have it there but it does simplify things alot).

2. As for written languages there are bound to be no shortage of them, the question lies in how many are there and (while this sounds stupid to me.) does the translator spell cover them in some sort of way aswell? (I don't think it should.) Negav for example is bound to have at least two different written languages due to the two sides in power.

3. While some languages could be vocal only there should probably be some sorts of special dialects / movements needed to properly be able to speak them.

Let me know what you think about it ^^.
Back to top Go down
Xnithi
Tasty morsel

Felaryan Languages Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Languages   Felaryan Languages Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Is there a wiki page or post somewere explaining the translating spell, so that I can better expand upon it? I love working with languages, so this intrigues me!
Back to top Go down
http://facadepapergirl.deviantart.com
iZyren
Naga food
iZyren

Felaryan Languages Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Languages   Felaryan Languages Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 1:22 am

Here you go, it's the closest one I can find; http://www.felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Felaryan_Language

(Where did the page about The mage who created it / Almikar Potentis go?)
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felaryan Languages Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Languages   Felaryan Languages Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am

Well the translation spell effects your ability to understand what they're trying to communicate. You have some basic structure when it comes to messages in communication.

Sender > encoding >---message--->decoding> receiver

From what I'm gathering, this spell would have the receivers ability to decode a message simply align itself perfectly with the encoding message, so you know exactly what they're trying to say, being so effective as to even cross the language barrier. Even if you don't know the language, your ability to interpret what they mean makes your necessity to learn the language a moot point.

Or am I misunderstanding your questions?

Written languages wont be affected, because the spell covers the hearing sense. I thought the wiki said that?

This means Nukian as a sign based language cannot be interpreted by those who do not already know it, functioning like a language we know in real life. As for how far the spell covers, I've imagined it as a chain reaction, flowing along the streams of magic in Felarya, so its strongest where there is lots of magic, and weakest for where there is less. This is why magic poor zones like Mycoria doesn't implement it as effectively.

Back to top Go down
iZyren
Naga food
iZyren

Felaryan Languages Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Languages   Felaryan Languages Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 7:34 am

Well for starters I made some bad decisions in writing the text in the way that I did. I shouldn't have made all of them into questions due to it limiting the ability of discussion.

What i mean by this is that the 3rd question should have been made non-question and that I should have split the 2nd sentence into two, one question and the rest non-question.

Thanks for letting me know better how to define the translator spell and how it functions, Bael.

Now these paragraphs are for discussing:

1. While a language could be vocal only, I've had the idea of there being distinct facial or oral movements that is required for it to properly function. This could be a way to communicate in areas such as Mycoria or Lamina for example, which the TL-Spell doesn't cover. I'm still pondering about if one should try to write out how such communication works (like translating it from their tongue to our).

Now for a small question: As this is a mix between vocal and sign languages would the TL-Spell decipher half of it or will it turn into mumbo-jumbo?

2. Due to the spread of intelligent beings across Felarya there are bound to be no shortages of written languages (or languages overall). Or are there?
The fairies are known to be a highly literate species according to :http://www.felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fairy_kingdom#Muroyo_Library

However that bring me a question to mind:
Due to the library, my assumption goes that the books are written in many different languages. Do the fairy (the reader, fairy is an example.) use magic to decipher it or are there books which are unreadable?

Here are some other things I've been thinking about:
Does all different beings have a distinct written language at some point?
What would be a probable number in terms of quantity of written languages?

This one is a bit different but could be used in this topic due to it relying slightly on written language:

How could a workable economic system be handled with or without a written language?

I know I said that they shouldn't be questions, but the 2nd paragraph ended up as mostly questions due to the predicament of it.

Hope you're having a good day.
Izy out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Felaryan Languages Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Languages   Felaryan Languages Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felaryan Languages
Page 1 of 1