Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread

Go down 
+9
GREGOLE
The Rev
Karbo
Oldman40k2003
gwadahunter2222
MukatKiKaarn
Pendragon
Rythmear
Siafu789
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 8:21 am

The behavior, customs, and culture of Felaryan natives are quite mystifying to us outsiders-this thread is a place to to discuss discoveries, theories, and insights into this dark and murky area.

So, let us lift the veil and shed some light!
Back to top Go down
http://militant-prey.deviantart.com/
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 1:17 pm

Like humans, Nagas raised in hostile environments and harsh conditions will become harsh and hostile themselves perhaps...

Perhaps like humans though, some Nagas are just - jerks.
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Fairy Languages   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 2:26 pm

Rythmear wrote:
Like humans, Nagas raised in hostile environments and harsh conditions will become harsh and hostile themselves perhaps...

Perhaps like humans though, some Nagas are just - jerks.

Too true. No

Some studies into the fairy language have proven interesting. Like most languages, knowing the words is half the battle-the other half is saying them. It's that other half that makes it difficult.

Fairies, on the whole, are very forward with their emotions-as such, their emotional state affects how the words are pronounced. For example, a depressed fairy would actually mispronounce the phrase "I'm having a good day." in their native language, because she or he is not really happy. Not the opposite meaning, the words would just sound wrong.

The most accepted theory is that the muscles in their faces play a role in pronunciation. As such, only those with extroverted personalities can really master the languages.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 2:50 pm

However such things have been difficult to study because the scientists invariably get eaten.
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 2:53 pm

Rythmear wrote:
However such things have been difficult to study because the scientists invariably get eaten.

Yes, the knowledge that has been gained is a sum result of small, tiny successes.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 2:55 pm

And we use the word 'tiny' here literally - it's the only way they can move undetected.
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 3:03 pm

Rythmear wrote:
And we use the word 'tiny' here literally - it's the only way they can move undetected.

Indeed-interesting how that weakness can also be a strength-I mean, one could hide in tiny crevasses.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 3:05 pm

My point exactly. The risks are higher, but detection is much harder - especially for a Naga, because the tiny would blend in with other insects on their mental radar.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 6:52 am

From what I've heard, creatures of Felarya are similar to humans in many ways.

For example, many creatures are fond of Crisis (among other nagas) and so, to show their feelings, they search the land for something she would like.

One creature was fortunate and was able to give Crisis a bus-load of humans last Thursday, much like a box of chocolates.

Whether or not she returned the sentiment is unknown, but man, did she enjoy herself that night!
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 7:43 am

Pendragon wrote:
From what I've heard, creatures of Felarya are similar to humans in many ways.

For example, many creatures are fond of Crisis (among other nagas) and so, to show their feelings, they search the land for something she would like.

One creature was fortunate and was able to give Crisis a bus-load of humans last Thursday, much like a box of chocolates.

Whether or not she returned the sentiment is unknown, but man, did she enjoy herself that night!

It was probably Gunther, stopping Crisis from eating him by pacifying her with more food.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 10:29 am

Rythmear wrote:

It was probably Gunther, stopping Crisis from eating him by pacifying her with more food.

Very smart ploy of his indeed.

When Crisis is pigging out on humans, you know it's time to floor it out of there. Am I right?
Back to top Go down
MukatKiKaarn
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
MukatKiKaarn

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 12:16 pm

I wonder about sub-races of different species in Felarya... for instance, a character I designed, Calico, is a great sea mermaid. Anko is also a mermaid, but seems to live solely in the Jewel River. I imagine that there might be a division between the two, determined probably both by biology (like salt-water and freshwater fish) and their impact on the environment. (Sea mermaids being bigger, and not being able to fit upriver... that, and they'd be a potential threat to river mermaids.)
Back to top Go down
http://mukatkikaarn.deviantart.com
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 12:23 pm

MukatKiKaarn wrote:
I wonder about sub-races of different species in Felarya... for instance, a character I designed, Calico, is a great sea mermaid. Anko is also a mermaid, but seems to live solely in the Jewel River. I imagine that there might be a division between the two, determined probably both by biology (like salt-water and freshwater fish) and their impact on the environment. (Sea mermaids being bigger, and not being able to fit upriver... that, and they'd be a potential threat to river mermaids.)
I think it can be interesting Very Happy
If you want to create a new sub species why not, developp a bit this idea.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
MukatKiKaarn
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
MukatKiKaarn

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 12:24 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
MukatKiKaarn wrote:
I think it can be interesting Very Happy
If you want to create a new sub species why not, developp a bit this idea.

I've been sort-of doing it, on and off. I'll put together some information, some time.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 4:00 pm

If you take a look at the mermaid page in the wiki (http://www.felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mermaids) you can see that there are already three subspecies of mermaid, so I don't see why a fourth one would be a problem. Of course I don't think any of us know if Felarya actually has oceans... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
MukatKiKaarn
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
MukatKiKaarn

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 4:24 pm

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
If you take a look at the mermaid page in the wiki (http://www.felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mermaids) you can see that there are already three subspecies of mermaid, so I don't see why a fourth one would be a problem. Of course I don't think any of us know if Felarya actually has oceans... Smile

I imagine that the geography of Felarya is a lot like that of Fantastica/Fantasia from The NeverEnding Story, by Michael Ende, where there is no definite, overall idea as to what it looks like: it grows and changes as the story continues. Plus, I think on the rumors thread that it was suggested that there may be other continents-- these would, of course, be seperated by ocean. ^^

Ultimately, it would be up to Karbo to decide just how big Felarya really is... I'm assuming right now that it is boundless, and can have as much stuff in it as we like.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 6:00 pm

MukatKiKaarn wrote:
Oldman40k2003 wrote:

I imagine that the geography of Felarya is a lot like that of Fantastica/Fantasia from The NeverEnding Story, by Michael Ende, where there is no definite, overall idea as to what it looks like: it grows and changes as the story continues. Plus, I think on the rumors thread that it was suggested that there may be other continents-- these would, of course, be seperated by ocean. ^^

Ultimately, it would be up to Karbo to decide just how big Felarya really is... I'm assuming right now that it is boundless, and can have as much stuff in it as we like.

I don't understand the link between the geography and the idea of your subspecie of mermaid. A river end in a sea, the location is not very important. In case of need an ocean can be created and developped after Very Happy

Last edited by on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MukatKiKaarn
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
MukatKiKaarn

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 6:15 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
MukatKiKaarn wrote:
Oldman40k2003 wrote:

I don't understand the link between the geography and the idea of your subspecei of mermaid. A river end in a sea, the location is not very important. In case of need an ocean can be created and developped after Very Happy

Yeah, I figured that. ^^; I just sort of got off-track.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 2:43 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
I don't understand the link between the geography and the idea of your subspecie of mermaid. A river end in a sea, the location is not very important. In case of need an ocean can be created and developped after Very Happy

I'm just being pedantic here, as 99.999% of the time a river does end in a sea or ocean (and I agree that you can just invent an Ocean after the fact) but...
A river doesn't have to do end in the ocean. A river could end up in a swamp with no outlet, where it evaporates just as fast as it comes in. Or a river could end up winding out into a desert (there's one or two on Earth that do that) and just evaporate. Other rivers can go beneath the ground, either via a cave system, or just by sinking through the ground. Finally, some rivers could just end up in a lake with no outlet, although this is similar to a sea except for it's salinity.

Felarya poses some interesting special cases... what if a river entered a portal and came back out at it's source... it'd be an infinite loop!
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 3:43 am

Oldman40k2003 wrote:

Well actually there is oceans yes ^_^

I think Felarya has a limited size though it's really huge. The map represent just a region of a continent and there is at least two of these continents.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 5:01 am

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
gwadahunter2222 wrote:

I'm just being pedantic here, as 99.999% of the time a river does end in a sea or ocean (and I agree that you can just invent an Ocean after the fact) but...
A river doesn't have to do end in the ocean. A river could end up in a swamp with no outlet, where it evaporates just as fast as it comes in. Or a river could end up winding out into a desert (there's one or two on Earth that do that) and just evaporate. Other rivers can go beneath the ground, either via a cave system, or just by sinking through the ground. Finally, some rivers could just end up in a lake with no outlet, although this is similar to a sea except for it's salinity.

Felarya poses some interesting special cases... what if a river entered a portal and came back out at it's source... it'd be an infinite loop!

I understand that. But I was meaning there was no need to worry about the location because in case of need it can be developped. Now there is a new thread about location so if MukatKiKaarn want to developp a specific place he can Very Happy

For the ocean there is necesary one, I doubt the world of Felarya is just a continent. The fact there are lands separate by water show how vast the world is Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Rev
Hero
Hero
The Rev

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 5:11 pm

I find it puzzling that the nagas and dridders hate each other so.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 6:59 pm

Quote :
I find it puzzling that the nagas and dridders hate each other so.

The drider culture is the Felarya ku klux clan.
The nagas don't like being harassed.
Back to top Go down
Zoekin
Grand-pop
Grand-pop
Zoekin

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 11:19 am

Not all Dridders hate Nagas though.
A few individuals are content to "live and let live."
To be fair. Sometimes it's the Naga who starts hostilities. Dridders are master hunters and some of them are quite capable of preying on adult Nagas. This doesn't make them very popular with the Nagas!

I feel it would be interesting to see a Naga and a Dridder develop a really close friendship.
(Hey! I'm optimistic!)
Back to top Go down
http://tanyastoviaka.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 11:40 am

Zoekin wrote:
Not all Dridders hate Nagas though.
A few individuals are content to "live and let live."
To be fair. Sometimes it's the Naga who starts hostilities. Dridders are master hunters and some of them are quite capable of preying on adult Nagas. This doesn't make them very popular with the Nagas!

I feel it would be interesting to see a Naga and a Dridder develop a really close friendship.
(Hey! I'm optimistic!)

Exactly ! Dridders are a warlike race, who display often cruelty toward ennemies and use sometimes a scary way of feeding but that don't really make them innately evil in my opinion.
Like in our world, most situations are more a question of point of view Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread   Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology Discussion Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next