Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers

Go down 
+3
Raveolution
Cypress
Sephimink|Kyle
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sephimink|Kyle
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers Empty
PostSubject: Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers   Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 5:09 pm

Not sure if this belongs in Off-topic or Stories Discussion, but I'm just posting this topic to remind each and every one of you writers out there to save your work from time to time. I believe I just learned that the hard way.

It's a bit tedious to get the "é" in "Séna" every time I need it from the Character Map, so I usually just copy the entire name and use CTRL+V to paste when I need to. However, there was something else on my clipboard (I have no idea what), and now it's stuck with a window reading "Switch To...", "Retry," and "Cancel" (which is grayed out).

My WordPad application is still opened, and it's still stuck. I click Switch To, and all it does is open my Taskbar. Right after it does that, the window pops back up. I click Retry, and I don't even get a Taskbar; the window closes for a second, and then it reappears. I can't X-out of it, either. If anyone has any idea on how to fix this little problem, please tell me ^^. I'm just going to leave it there for a little while to see if anything changes, but I'm not getting my hopes up. If I can't find a way to fix it, I'll just screenshot it and rewrite what's visible and work from there. >.<
Back to top Go down
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

PostSubject: Re: Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers   Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 5:20 pm

ouch.....
Back to top Go down
http://wowandwas.deviantart.com
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Storm sprites have been busy lately, I see   Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Sephimink|Kyle wrote:
Not sure if this belongs in Off-topic or Stories Discussion, but I'm just posting this topic to remind each and every one of you writers out there to save your work from time to time. I believe I just learned that the hard way.

It's a bit tedious to get the "é" in "Séna" every time I need it from the Character Map, so I usually just copy the entire name and use CTRL+V to paste when I need to. However, there was something else on my clipboard (I have no idea what), and now it's stuck with a window reading "Switch To...", "Retry," and "Cancel" (which is grayed out).

My WordPad application is still opened, and it's still stuck. I click Switch To, and all it does is open my Taskbar. Right after it does that, the window pops back up. I click Retry, and I don't even get a Taskbar; the window closes for a second, and then it reappears. I can't X-out of it, either. If anyone has any idea on how to fix this little problem, please tell me ^^. I'm just going to leave it there for a little while to see if anything changes, but I'm not getting my hopes up. If I can't find a way to fix it, I'll just screenshot it and rewrite what's visible and work from there. >.<
Uhm, your mileage may vary, but for me, I have the hibernate function for my computer; when I hibernate and restore my system, Textpad and notepad (and a whole lot of other apps) un-freeze. My wife's computer doesn't work that way.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers   Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 6:19 pm

Argh T_T
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Ewin
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Ewin

PostSubject: Re: Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers   Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 6:27 pm

Ouch Kyle, hope you can get it back. I don't write much, but I have lost many hours of drawing for similar reasons. It's very disheartening, try and salvage what you can.
SAVE SAVE SAVE as often as possible.
Back to top Go down
http://elvenskies.deviantart.com/
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers   Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 10:09 pm

The best thing to do is activate auto-save if the application has the option.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers   Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 10:11 pm

I feel your pain, man.

This has happened alot. I just hope you can recover from it in good time.
Back to top Go down
A-Eadie
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers   Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 10:01 am

One thing that I have decided to do is I first write my story by hand. Not only does it make me review what I have written when I type it in, making it at least a second draft, but if I get computer problems than I have a hard-copy backup. I feel your pain, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers   Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just a Friendly Reminder to All Writers
Page 1 of 1