Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?

Go down 
+7
Flare
Tora
Claire
observer88
Malahite
Shady Knight
servomoore
11 posters

Good human/non-human body ratio
25-75
A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Vote_lcap40%A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Vote_rcap
 40% [ 6 ]
30-70
A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Vote_lcap53%A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Vote_rcap
 53% [ 8 ]
35-65
A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Vote_lcap7%A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
40-60
A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Vote_lcap0%A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
servomoore
Naga food

A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Empty
PostSubject: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 4:48 pm

So far, I've been mostly practicing drawing the characters's faces, but now I am starting to work on bodies. And I really don't know what the accepted length for the various tails is. Hence this poll.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 4:52 pm

I actually made a thread about this too, because I found it confusing when a naga was measured in length, rather than height while standing still. I really have no idea about a good ratio. I think only the master knows.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 4:53 pm

100-0.

Depends entirely on your plans for the creature, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
observer88
Marauder of the deep jungle
observer88

PostSubject: Re: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 8:35 pm

Using checkboxes? Wouldn't this warrant the use of radio-buttons? With checkboxes I can select multiple choices. In fact I think I'll select all of them... j/k.
Back to top Go down
http://observer88.deviantart.com/
Claire
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Claire

PostSubject: Re: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 11:02 pm

its really up to you.

A good tip is study animals. and pick features that you may want for your character.

for example my Dridders body structures a little different from others. they are based off a Black Widow spider, big butt and different leg lengths

also they have one of the most powerful venom, so i worked with that idea and made character into a royalty type of figure.
Back to top Go down
Tora
Helpless prey
Tora

PostSubject: Re: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 1:03 am

Hmmm yep I've noticed that length can be a bit more confusing, I described my naga Negeyari based on length of 100 feet, but with the full grown pictures I drew of her it didn't quite add up. A bit too small for a Felaryan Naga, even Aurora seems a bit bigger than that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tora044.deviantart.com
Flare
Survivor
Survivor
Flare

PostSubject: Re: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 3:44 am

I've found that about 1/4 to 1/5 of the total length (Head to tail) works in my opinion. Though your own results may vary.
Back to top Go down
Nervan
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Nervan

PostSubject: Re: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 7:43 am

Depends so highly on the subject matter. For a naga, I'd definitely 25/75 for constrictors (nice long tail), but 30/70 or even 40/60 can work for vipers (who could also stand to be much smaller overall, due to not needing the extra size to take down prey thanks to their venom, but that's a matter for another thread.)

For other races, the nonhuman portion has to be big enough to support the human portion, yet small enough (and limited enough) to make the human portion worthwhile. Take the dridder for example. If a dridder's spider half is so big that the human portion's arms can't really reach beyond its legs, there's not much practical benefit to having a human torso. It'd make your venom difficult to use since your fangs have no reach and your best grasping limbs are too short to do ay good. Yet on the other end of the scale, if the human part's way too big for the nonhuman part, it looks ridiculous - like a spider with a giraffe neck.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 9:22 am

Well, with nagas, a 30/70 ratio seems about right. Though a couple specimens like Kat are more like 20/80. But I think the Felaryan naga average is 30/70. Not horribly large, but definitely capable of supporting the human portion.

Though to be perfectly honest, I don't put much thought into that when I draw nagas. When I add the tail, I just keep drawing it until it feels right.
Back to top Go down
observer88
observer88

PostSubject: Re: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 1:03 pm

Nervan wrote:
For a naga, I'd definitely 25/75 for constrictors (nice long tail)
Noted.
Back to top Go down
http://observer88.deviantart.com/
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 2:41 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Well, with nagas, a 30/70 ratio seems about right. Though a couple specimens like Kat are more like 20/80. But I think the Felaryan naga average is 30/70. Not horribly large, but definitely capable of supporting the human portion.

Though to be perfectly honest, I don't put much thought into that when I draw nagas. When I add the tail, I just keep drawing it until it feels right.
I would imagine it depends largely on the species (constrictor vs viper), and then on the individual.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 7:18 pm

servomoore wrote:
So far, I've been mostly practicing drawing the characters's faces, but now I am starting to work on bodies. And I really don't know what the accepted length for the various tails is. Hence this poll.

I once ran into this same problem, and I could have solved it thus:
Draw (well, crudely sketched) a human figure standing.
Then "blend" in a naga tail, starting at the figures waist and running it some length down the page.
Doing this multiple times will give you several nagas with various human-naga body length ratios, and you can choose the one you like the best.

The way I actually solved it was different. I calculated the length her stomach would have to be to hold a person, the length her "waist" would have to be so that she could bend in half and hug prey in her stomach (as if she were laying next to them), and then added a reasonable looking tail. I think I might end up lengthening her though, as she seems kind of short.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?   A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A good "Human Portion/Nonhuman Portion" Ratio?
Page 1 of 1