Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Language: Re-Addressed

Go down 
+4
Cypress
/Fish/
Shady Knight
ZionAtriedes
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Language: Re-Addressed - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Language: Re-Addressed   Language: Re-Addressed - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 pm

Why not explaining it that way instead of being vague. I'm a sucker to vagueness.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
zalzas
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
zalzas

PostSubject: Re: Language: Re-Addressed   Language: Re-Addressed - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 2:43 pm

How about this, a new creature! It is called the Bable Bug! It flies into the ears of the first person it encounters and starts to nest in there. It communicates to the others of its kind by a short ranged psychic connection. They do this by burrowing slightly into the brain of the host and using the host brain as something of a psychic antenna. This has the side affect of giving host a slight link to anyone else who has a Bable Bug in there head. So when they talk the other person picks up the meaning of there words and unknowing process them into what the he or she would understand, without the host even realizing it was happening. And the Bable Bug is so common that most people get one after only spending a few minutes on Fealrya.
Back to top Go down
http://zalzas.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Language: Re-Addressed   Language: Re-Addressed - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 2:59 pm

They could be dimensional parasites! Anyone entering the plane aquires them, anyone leaving loses them.

Extra-planar babelfish, if you will.

So, since we have no way of testing our various theories, everyone speaking French is just as valid as anything else, including extra-dimensional parasites that attach to the part of your brain that interprets sound.

I prefer "A wizard/guardian did it" myself.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Language: Re-Addressed   Language: Re-Addressed - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 4:14 pm

It's a pity I was offline during the heat of the conversation, so, I must simply say these two things about the previous comments.

One: I absolutely despise the concept of "unexplainable". I loathe it. Thus, I will do my best to explain what some may see as "charm", because to me, and others, it's more of a thorn.

Two: it's actually rather plausible to assume a Guardian did it. It could be used as an adaptation of my first theory, except as a Guardian acting the link, in a Cypress-like fashion.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Language: Re-Addressed   Language: Re-Addressed - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 4:56 pm

How can it be a torn for you? Have you been clearer in the first post, I wouldn't have made that dumb remark, but now it's too damn late.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

PostSubject: Re: Language: Re-Addressed   Language: Re-Addressed - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 6:35 pm

zalzas wrote:
How about this, a new creature! It is called the Bable Bug!

the distant relative of the babel fish i take it?
Back to top Go down
http://wowandwas.deviantart.com
zalzas
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
zalzas

PostSubject: Re: Language: Re-Addressed   Language: Re-Addressed - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 7:16 pm

Cypress wrote:
the distant relative of the babel fish i take it?

Yep! I see that you read Hitchhikes Guide to the Galaxy too. Its one of my favorite books! Who knew Dryads read Douglas Adams? Smile
Back to top Go down
http://zalzas.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Language: Re-Addressed   Language: Re-Addressed - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 7:35 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
How can it be a torn for you? Have you been clearer in the first post, I wouldn't have made that dumb remark, but now it's too damn late.
...That may've been a little hostile.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Language: Re-Addressed   Language: Re-Addressed - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 3:29 pm

Personally, I felt it was a change that gradually occurred caused in the same way as how Zion describes it.. Writing would be unchanged (Thus Town Criers and the liking would be better sources of information than a paper), and if something negated the magic of Felarya (Some sort of anti-magic shell, for example), than the persons interacting would be back to being unable to understand each other (Unless, of course, speaking the same language or something familiar enough).

Similarly, the effect works only on what you directly want translated. A 'cant' would not be deciphered (For example, the code-word 'Thimble' [Meaning protection against a precise strike in this example] would still be heard as 'Thimble' to listeners). Thus, a heavier emphasis would be made to create a vocabulary for a group to prevent unwanted listening and / or information exchange.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Language: Re-Addressed   Language: Re-Addressed - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 6:47 pm

Ooh! I thought of a better way to put it now! Malahite also helped a little.

Well, words are just sound, and their meaning comes from the mental meaning put behind them. Now, this, in normal situations, works only because of mutually-understood meanings for certain sounds. The sound is heard by the ears, and the signal is sent to the brain, which then checks the word against the database of meanings, and then chooses the meaning from the matching sound in memory.

However, in Felarya, this process is assisted by the psychic energy ambient in the atmosphere, due to whatever reasons (could be explained in another thread). The word is heard by the listener, and if the two people speak different languages, normally the brain would find no matches in the database of memory and come up with the conclusion that it doesn't understand the meaning. However, in Felarya, the "codex" is broadcasted by the speaker, meaning that the listener temporarily receives the complete database of the speaker, and when the word (or sentence) is heard, it can be checked against that database, and then translated by the brain into the listener's language, similar to the way most bilingual people translate their secondary language into their primary language in their minds. Now, if someone is nearby but does not hear, this database is useless, because there is nothing to use it to check it against. The actual "database" isn't written to memory, as it is due to a temporary connection to the speaker due to the "open-ness" caused by speaking. This is because speaking is a more powerful expression of thought, meaning that the speaker is more focued while speaking. (This is why many people "think aloud", and the reason why magickers may use incantations to focus their minds on their spells.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Language: Re-Addressed   Language: Re-Addressed - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Language: Re-Addressed
Page 1 of 1