Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My view on fairies

Go down 
+19
CauldronBorn24
Flare
JohnDoe
Jætte_Troll
blademan9999
vegeta002
zelda31
Raveolution
TheQuantumMechanic
Feign
Cypress
Malahite
Karbo
Pendragon
GREGOLE
ZionAtriedes
gwadahunter2222
Rythmear
Shady Knight
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

My view on fairies - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 9:30 am

TheQuantumMechanic wrote:
This is potentially true; however, remember that Fairies are unpredictable. You don't plan for them, but they (most of them, except the die-hard serious types like Crimson Maidens) don't plan for you, either. If anyone is capable of adapting to the tables being flipped on them in an instant, it's probably a fairy. Smile
You have to exceed their limitations, build a boundary that their chaos cannot exceed.

Specifically: Don't plan for what a fairy might do - base your tactics on what s/he absolutely cannot do. The average fairy can't do much without their magic, and Alvar can't run around like Goku: a single guy with a bomb strapped to him who goads Alvar into a sword fight, will solve that. Or mine everything while you wait until Alvar is starving. The most chaotic and innovative fairy will come looking for food when hungry. Use that against them.

<Thrawn> Ultimately, I would distill all of this into one of two compact solutions: one human or one mechanical solution. </Thrawn>

Quote :
Mind-control might work, although I imagine a Fae mind would be extremely 'slippery' and hard to control. Anti-magic armor is fine against the major spellcasters, but it isn't a catch-all solution; if you run into Alvar, he is still going to be able to cut you to shreds assuming that he is more skilled than you... and to be honest, most really powerful psychics aren't known for being physically adept. Laughing
A teeker could just rip his sword out of his hand and carve him up with it. A telepath could indirectly control a fairy's mind with illusions. Few things are more fun than "hey Melany, Kiki kind of looks like a human fairy hunter" or "hey Alvar, Subeta is actually a human swordsman attacking a fairy nest-equivalent". Is it not reasonable to assume that one fairy is going to die or be gravely wounded in that scenario (leaving both open for exploitation from an attacking force)?

Know their limitations and operate outside of it.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:08 am

Raveolution wrote:

Specifically: Don't plan for what a fairy might do - base your tactics on what s/he absolutely cannot do. The average fairy can't do much without their magic, and Alvar can't run around like Goku: a single guy with a bomb strapped to him who goads Alvar into a sword fight, will solve that. Or mine everything while you wait until Alvar is starving. The most chaotic and innovative fairy will come looking for food when hungry. Use that against them.
Are you sure Evil laugh

Because you don't know Alvar abilities, you base your tacticts on what a fairy might not do thinking she absolutely cannot do that but the problem it's can be true for one but not all.

You are just hypothetical situation where it would work because what you know had never been use against a fairy so you suppose it would work because in you opinion you see it was very efficient in some situation but it's purely hypothetical.

Another point I think this kind of strategy you are thinking many people in Felarya thinks the same and how many succeed Wink

Nothing is absolute. What you consider as absolute is not necessary in another world.

I will conclude you are not the first you are not the last.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:14 am

Raveolution wrote:
You have to exceed their limitations, build a boundary that their chaos cannot exceed.

This is definitely the best policy regarding handling a fairy; however, it falls squarely into the category of "Things Easier Said than Done", and will always be there, for everyone but a seriously powerful and versatile creature. Pay careful attention to those last highlighted portions.

Unless you are BOTH: 1) Really damn powerful AND 2) Really damn versatile in how you can use that power, you have NO chance at all of being able to handle every fairy you encounter while just out walking around, EVEN if you know their species and what that species is capable of.

If you can argue against this statement, you really don't fully comprehend what it means. No I'm not trying to be patronizing, for the record. Smile

Raveolution wrote:

These are all possible solutions to a problem, and that bit I bolded is excellent advice. However, the execution is where you will run into problems. Again, it's easier said than done: You can certainly come up with an effective plan to take down a single fairy.

... But just look at how much time and effort you have to expend just to accomplish that one task. You're talking about setting up a minefield just for a single target. And that's assuming you can catch the fairy alone, without any friends; even a single one will drastically change the equation and might make your master plan useless.

It would take unlimited resources (of all types; time, manpower, economic, technological, magical) to be able to deal with more than just a handful of fairies in this way, let alone ALL of them. And what civilization has all that? No

Raveolution wrote:
<Thrawn> Ultimately, I would distill all of this into one of two compact solutions: one human or one mechanical solution. </Thrawn>

Thrawn was a cool character, whose downfall was the same as many highly intelligent/genius types: He wasn't as smart as he thought he was, but too smart for his own good. A textbook case of why overreaching yourself is never a good idea.

Raveolution wrote:
A teeker could just rip his sword out of his hand and carve him up with it. A telepath could indirectly control a fairy's mind with illusions. Few things are more fun than "hey Melany, Kiki kind of looks like a human fairy hunter" or "hey Alvar, Subeta is actually a human swordsman attacking a fairy nest-equivalent". Is it not reasonable to assume that one fairy is going to die or be gravely wounded in that scenario (leaving both open for exploitation from an attacking force)?

A powerful teek might be able to rip his sword out of his hand, or they might not; again, there are a lot of factors involved. If Alvar's sword is not particularly special, then sure, that tactic is perfectly valid. If Alvar's sword is enchanted so that he never loses his grip on it and it can't leave his hand unless he sheathes it, then that tactic is invalid. ... And you probably won't find that out until it's too late to matter. You have to either survive the encounter, or have sent in expendables while you observe from a "safe" distance or through "safe" means; otherwise, you aren't going to be able to learn anything from it.

Illusions also will: Certainly work against some fairies, Possibly work against most fairies, and Definitely not work on other fairies. Again, the problem is that you won't know whether or not it is effective against a specific target until you try... and if it is not someone (ie, You) is probably going to die at that point.

So, the only way to reliably handle any individual fairy in any given situation you might encounter is if you are: An extremely powerful individual from a culture with an extremely advanced level of technology and an understanding and potential for magic that extends far beyond mortal comprehension with an unparalleled knowledge of military strategy and tactics with truly awe-inspiring psychic powers who also happens to be in the habit of carrying around everything you might possibly need in your back pocket wherever you go.

... Yeah. Good luck with that. Laughing

Raveolution wrote:
Know their limitations and operate outside of it.

Know their limitations and operate outside of it... and pray that you encounter them under favorable conditions.

Being totally prepared to handle Alvar isn't going to help you much if you just happen not to run into him... or you run into Lily instead. Smile

Despite what the Boy Scouts of America would have you believe, "Be Prepared for Anything" is simply neither possible nor feasible; even if you had the capability to do so, there are several reasons why you wouldn't. No
Back to top Go down
http://the-quantum-mechanic.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:39 am

Despite what the Boy Scouts of America would have you believe, "Be Prepared for Anything" is simply neither possible nor feasible; even if you had the capability to do so, there are several reasons why you wouldn't. No

I think the meaning of this sentence is to help to not panic when you meet something unpredictable. This sentence can help you to think calmly about the situation.

By example you take a shower, and suddenly you are teleported in front of Vivian this sentence take all his meaning Laughing
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:43 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:

I think the meaning of this sentence is to help to not panic when you meet something unpredictable. This sentence can help you to think calmly about the situation.

By example you take a shower, and suddenly you are teleported in front of Vivian this sentence take all his meaning Laughing

Could anyone not panic when that happens? If some things cannot be prepared for, that is one.
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:57 am

vegeta002 wrote:
gwadahunter2222 wrote:

Could anyone not panic when that happens? If some things cannot be prepared for, that is one.

Not the typical person, no. An exceptional person, yes.

If you have the power to teleport yourself, you might be okay. If you are simply more powerful than Vivian, then you might also be alright. Heck, if you're just intelligent and a careful planner, you might never wind up in that situation in the first place- make sure you have magical wards protecting your home, anti-teleportation barriers, some other intrusion countermeasures, etc.

Some truly remarkable people don't have any real "power" other than thinking quickly on their feet; it's entirely possible that someone could find himself teleported in front of Vivian, assess the situation in a moment without flipping out, and somehow manage to convince her not to eat him in the few seconds it takes him to travel from her hand to her lips... all without being a spellcaster, psychic, or anything more than a "normal" human being.

Now, not every person is going to be able to do that; Hell, most people won't. But if there's something I've come to learn in the short time I've been around, it's never to underestimate that 1% of the population that will always manage to surprise you. Smile

Last edited by TheQuantumMechanic on Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:02 am

So only the truly amazing people, as well as very powerful and/or paranoid magic users have a decent chance? What about people who can fly?
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:14 am

vegeta002 wrote:
So only the truly amazing people, as well as very powerful and/or paranoid magic users have a decent chance? What about people who can fly?

It's not a question of power or abilities but the reaction. You can be the most powerful mage and die drowning in your bathroom, or a sayans and dies from disease it happens to Goku Wink

When an unpredictable thing happen you are in general caught by surprise , and you don't have the advantage of the situation. In general it's your ability to improvise which will help you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:17 am

This is definitely the best policy regarding handling a fairy; however, it falls squarely into the category of "Things Easier Said than Done", and will always be there, for everyone but a seriously powerful and versatile creature. Pay careful attention to those last highlighted portions.
I've thought about all this, actually.

Quote :
If you can argue against this statement, you really don't fully comprehend what it means. No I'm not trying to be patronizing, for the record. Smile
How many fairies have won a fight against an opal mingo? Or an abyssal tonorion? From what I reckon, the best they've been able to achieve against either, is to run. Reasonably speaking, if you are a convoy with something the equivalent of a squad of abyssal tonorions protecting you, what fairy, naga or harpy is even going to try to harass you? What fairy or army thereof has even the remotest chance against a negative hydra? Granted, building something with the powers of an abyssal tonorion, much less a negative hydra, falls into the realm of "impossible" for, say, the Miratans. But the humans are resourceful - reverse engineering is their specialty. Replicating the power and effectiveness of an abyssal tonorion would be Felarya's Manhattan Project for humans.

Quote :
A powerful teek might be able to rip his sword out of his hand, or they might not; again, there are a lot of factors involved. If Alvar's sword is not particularly special, then sure, that tactic is perfectly valid. If Alvar's sword is enchanted so that he never loses his grip on it and it can't leave his hand unless he sheathes it, then that tactic is invalid.
Then a teeker just manipulates his sword arm.

Quote :
Illusions also will: Certainly work against some fairies, Possibly work against most fairies, and Definitely not work on other fairies. Again, the problem is that you won't know whether or not it is effective against a specific target until you try... and if it is not someone (ie, You) is probably going to die at that point.
Hmmm. Okay. So which fairies do you think are immune to psychic induced illusions?

Quote :
So, the only way to reliably handle any individual fairy in any given situation you might encounter is if you are: An extremely powerful individual from a culture with an extremely advanced level of technology and an understanding and potential for magic that extends far beyond mortal comprehension with an unparalleled knowledge of military strategy and tactics with truly awe-inspiring psychic powers who also happens to be in the habit of carrying around everything you might possibly need in your back pocket wherever you go.
I just don't think it's that difficult. Felaryan fairies simply aren't that invulnerable.

If they were, they wouldn't be so scared of Felaryan bugs...
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:19 am

vegeta002 wrote:
So only the truly amazing people, as well as very powerful and/or paranoid magic users have a decent chance?

I wouldn't so much say they're the only ones who stand a decent chance, I'm just providing some examples. Meeting any of those qualifications is not going to guarantee your survival; all it means is that your chances are looking better compared to the poor schlub who just got teleported in off the street without any idea of what's going on. Smile

You kind of have to take every situation and moment as they come, and deal with them the best you can. If you're lucky, it will be something nowhere near as bad as you feared; if you're unlucky, it will be something worse than you imagined. Laughing

vegeta002 wrote:
What about people who can fly?

Flight by itself is not considered a true survival trait, even in our (real life) world. It is very helpful if the predator you're trying to avoid can not fly or does not possess the means to bring you down, but that is as far as it goes.

Even assuming that Vivian can't just use her magic to catch you, and you manage to escape by flying away from her...

... You may very well be gulped up in mid-flight by a Harpy that just happened to pass by. Smile Now, granted, that is not going to happen every time... but if it's very likely to happen, and it happens to you, I'm sure that's the only time it will matter. Laughing

The only guaranteed way not to die on Felarya is to never be there in the first place... and it isn't always a matter of choice. No For anything past that, you're taking some pretty big chances. Keep rolling those dice, or pulling that trigger, and sooner or later, you are going to suffer misfortune... even if it's just by sheer dumb (bad) luck. Smile
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:25 am

Raveolution wrote:

I just don't think it's that difficult. Felaryan fairies simply aren't that invulnerable.

I agree with you but it's work for all examples you quote, and the fairy will have the advantage of the ground.

You try to find an absolute solution but it doesn't work like that it's a question of situation, you will not be always prepared physically or have the right gear at the right situation.

You are a facing an intelligent and unpredictable race, they are not so dumb or childish as you think.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:31 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Raveolution wrote:

I agree with you but it's work for all examples you quote, and the fairy will have the advantage of the ground.
I'm not sure what you mean. How has a fairy been able to use any advantage to beat a mingo or a tonorion?

Quote :
You try to find an absolute solution but it doesn't work like that it's a question of situation, you will not be always prepared physically or have the right gear at the right situation.

You are a facing an intelligent and unpredictable race, they are not so dumb or childish as you think.
Of course they're not dumb. And if you did come up with a catch-all solution, the next step is extinction for the fairies (due to vengeful humans), and the Guardians would have their own solution for that.

What you want, with fairies, is something that will make them want to avoid messing with you. Why is there no absolute solution for fairies but they seem to have absolute solutions for everything they face? Er, except mingos and tonorions... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:33 am

There are no more absolute solutions with any races than with fairies. You forget the most notorious predators are sentient. One solution may work for a while, but eventually, the predators will find a counter, and you'll have to come up with something else. This is the case for every races.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:48 am

Raveolution wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. How has a fairy been able to use any advantage to beat a mingo or a tonorion?
The time an opal mingo shrink a fairy, the fairy can crush it read the lore section about that, if a Tonorion attack a fairy she can escape by flying.

Raveolution wrote:

Of course they're not dumb. And if you did come up with a catch-all solution, the next step is extinction for the fairies (due to vengeful humans), and the Guardians would have their own solution for that.

What you want, with fairies, is something that will make them want to avoid messing with you. Why is there no absolute solution for fairies but they seem to have absolute solutions for everything they face? Er, except mingos and tonorions... Very Happy

For the same reason you cannot judge the humanity as a whole, as humans each of them are unique, they may have common abilities and in addition they can have unique abilities. An opal Minga is useless against a pack of fairies, a Tonorion is not dangerous for fairies who can fight without magic.

You tend to considerate all the sentient race as whole, it's your greatest mistake.

Many creature are dangerous for humans and they are still here so this rules apply to the races of Felarya too Razz
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 12:04 pm

Raveolution wrote:
How many fairies have won a fight against an opal mingo? Or an abyssal tonorion?

We don't know. Maybe a legendary heroic fairy, maybe not a single one. Possibly a handful; you'd have to ask around or read fairy literature to know for certain. And even then, assuming that the answer is "Zero", there's still that 1% that might manage to pull it off. Granted, I'm not saying that all fairies can, or even some fairies can... but it is not impossible, just improbable.

Raveolution wrote:
From what I reckon, the best they've been able to achieve against either, is to run.

That is an assumption; it is an entirely reasonable assumption, but an assumption nonetheless. The reason that it is dangerous to take an assumption for granted is because...

Raveolution wrote:
Reasonably speaking, if you are a convoy with something the equivalent of a squad of abyssal tonorions protecting you, what fairy, naga or harpy is even going to try to harass you?

Reasonably speaking, this is a decent plan, if you have the resources and the capabilities to pull it off. However, it is not a flawless plan- if only one fairy out of every thousand on Felarya is capable of defeating an abyssal tonorion (or a roughly equivalent creature), then this plan is a fairly workable solutions 999 times out of 1000. If that one fairy encounter is with one that somehow has the ability to slaughter an entire group of Abyssal Tonorions singlehandedly, this plan is useless. Knowing an opponent's capabilities does you no good at all if you lack the ability to counter them, or are using a counter that just doesn't work.

In addition, hauling a squad of tonorions around with you every where your supply train goes is a fairly complex solution which creates all sorts of additonal problems; controlling them, feeding them, having to move at a comparable speed to keep the convoy with them, etc. I assume you've thought about all that stuff, so I won't do more than mention it.

Raveolution wrote:
What fairy or army thereof has even the remotest chance against a negative hydra?

The question only matters if you either are a negative hydra, or you have a negative hydra.
And even if the answer is only "One, in all of Felarya", being or having a negative hydra does not help you at all if the fairy you encounter is that one.

Again, it's all about circumstance and situation; the situation I described above is far from typical- you may very well be a negative hydra who has travelled every inch of Felarya without encountering a single fairy who can hope to survive an encounter with you, let alone defeat you. But, that is only true until you encounter that one fairy, and then you become little more than a footnote in history. Smile

Raveolution wrote:
Granted, building something with the powers of an abyssal tonorion, much less a negative hydra, falls into the realm of "impossible" for, say, the Miratans. But the humans are resourceful - reverse engineering is their specialty. Replicating the power and effectiveness of an abyssal tonorion would be Felarya's Manhattan Project for humans.

It would be the Manhattan Project for a particular culture/city/race of humans on Felarya, not all humans on Felarya. That whole "united as one" thing really doesn't apply to us as a species, just as larger groups. In this case, one Fairy would be complaining about how much of a problem humans are to deal with, while another Fairy (who has not encountered that particular variety of human yet) would just scoff and have no idea what she was talking about. Ie, the roles are reversed.

Raveolution wrote:
Then a teeker just manipulates his sword arm.

Which very well might work... or might just get the teek kicked in the throat, or sand kicked in his face, or something else while he's busy concentrating on controlling Alvar's sword arm. The only way to know for sure is to see what actually happens when the situation comes up... and even then, just because it works the first time means that it will work again.

Raveolution wrote:
Hmmm. Okay. So which fairies do you think are immune to psychic induced illusions?

Um, I don't know? Maybe fairies who specialize in illusion magic? Just because an illusion is psychic in nature doesn't mean that a fairy who happens to be a master at illusions will not be able to recognize that it is an illusion. That may or may not be the case; we just don't know until the situation arises.

Also, I'm not a big believer in the concept of psionics as an "I Win" button in Felarya. Nowhere have I seen it directly stated that there are no psychic creatures in Felarya, or that psychic abilities were completely unknown. For all we know, there might be a Fae species with psychic powers instead of magical ones. Or that the common fairy has a fairly high resistance to telepathy, or that fairy dust nullifies psychic energy, or any other possibility. If psychic powers were really that helpful for survival in Felarya, you would see an abundance of psychic creatures instead of a scarcity of them. No

Raveolution wrote:
Quote :

It is exactly that difficult. Simply put, unless all of the above applies to you, you are not prepared to handle every individual fairy you may cross paths with in Felarya. You may be prepared to handle a specific fairy, or you may be prepared to handle the average fairy of a certain species, but there is always a chance you will run into the exception to the rule in the latter case.

It has nothing to do with fairies being invulnerable, because they are not. There's always the chance of something going wrong with a plan or a set of circumstances; and there is always the chance of an individual somehow managing to overcome what might seem to be a crippling disadvantage. This applies to any species... the only thing is, Fairies tend to have a bit of a higher chance when it comes to that, just by virtue of what they are: chaotic, unpredictable, adaptable.

It's not so much that you can't surprise a fairy; it's just that they will probably get over it and adapt to the situation much faster than most races are capable of. That's why they're formidable.

Raveolution wrote:

Insects which specifically evolved abilities to counter Fairies, and most certainly do not have the advantage over every fairy. I can guarantee you, somewhere on Felarya, there are individual fairies who not only are not afraid of insects, but hunt them. It might be very difficult and very dangerous, but it's not impossible.

If you aren't an insect yourself, or somehow capable of exploiting that, then the fact that a fairy's natural enemy is insects is irrelevant to your chances of surviving an encounter with one at that particular moment.
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 12:14 pm

Also, predator and prey species which have co-evolved typically share an interesting relationship.

The predator is specialized in catching/killing that particular type of prey, and much more inefficient when it comes to hunting other prey. Its highest success rate for kills will always be that prey species.

The prey is specialized in evading/hiding itself from/fighting off that particular type of predator, and is much easier for other species of predators to catch and kill. Its highest success rate for survival/escape will always be against that predator species.

... Do you see the contradiction? The predator is better at killing that prey, while the prey is better at surviving that predator. It reaches a sort of equilibrium, where each has a roughly 50/50 chance of "winning" an encounter.

The main reason that this is important, and so widespread in the animal kingdom, is because although predatory species who are generalists instead of specialists have a much wider viable range of food... but typically, 90% of all their hunts end in failure. If they didn't have that much larger food supply, they would die. Essentially, a generalist has to work much harder at surviving than a specialist, for whom the biggest concern is finding a steady source of the particular type of prey they need.

I consider Fairies not to be generalists, so much as "omni-specialists"; with a fairy, it is literally impossible to know just what you will get... and just because something is true for one encounter, doesn't mean that it will be true for the next.
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 3:25 pm

Thinking about working up a theory on the nature of Fairies, sorta like I did on Angels and Demons, but I dunno... confused

Will have to see what Karbo has to say about it. Smile

Meanwhile... study

Evil laugh
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 6:55 pm

Okay, looks like it's time to get to work. study

Laughing
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 7:11 am

ok this is really crazy even for me but what if you found a being that is willing to escort you through ferlarya and is more powerful than all the ferlaryan guardians put together, I highly doubt there is a fairy more powerful than the fairy queen
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 7:41 am

zelda31 wrote:
ok this is really crazy even for me but what if you found a being that is willing to escort you through ferlarya and is more powerful than all the ferlaryan guardians put together, I highly doubt there is a fairy more powerful than the fairy queen

In that case it will draw the attentions of the guardians and other powerfull beings, it will create a powerful battle with many death including you because you are not powerful to survive alone or you won't ask an escort and maybe the total destruction of Felarya.

In clear it's more dangerous than you decide to do it with a normal escort Laughing

Choosing powerfull creature thinking it will be safer it's the most stupid thing to do because powerful being always attract other powerful being Very Happy

If you are a god you will draw the attention of other gods, it's the karma Laughing
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 7:50 am

zelda31 wrote:

The problem with that idea is that a being who has ridiculous power... usually doesn't have that degree of power everywhere. Check out any piece of fantasy literature, and the most frequent concept is that "god-like" beings are only really god-like on their "home turf" (their own realm).

They don't get to go into someone else's house and call the shots, because they are no longer drawing directly from their main source of power (their own plane, their followers, etc.). This is pure speculation on my part, but I have a feeling that Karbo would agree that it is impossible for anyone to be more powerful than all the Guardians put together... on Felarya.

The most powerful beings in all of existence may come close enough to put up a good fight, but they'd still have no chance of winning if they chose to confront the Guardians on Felarya, where their power is at its strongest. Now, if the battle happened on neutral territory, like Earth, it might be an even match up.

If the fight happens in the challenger's own realm, that's best of all (for them). They still may not neccessarily be strong enough to take on all of the Guardians at once (not every "god" is at the same level of power, there are all kinds of minor gods and demi-gods), but it is in their own territory that they would stand the best possible chance at defeating them.

While in Felarya, a Guardian's power will always be "Enough to get the job done". Out of Felarya that might change, but possibly not by much- Mercreti is the "rookie" Guardian, and her magic "can obliterate entire worlds". If you are not powerful enough to survive something like that, then you lose the fight by default... it isn't even worth thinking any further about how to defeat her, because you simply are never going to reach that point until you can survive her magic.

Last edited by TheQuantumMechanic on Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 7:55 am

but there has to be a power beyond the ferlaryan guardians there is no such thing as a all powerful being there is always something more powerful
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 8:05 am

zelda31 wrote:
but there has to be a power beyond the ferlaryan guardians there is no such thing as a all powerful being there is always something more powerful

Really, now? Okay, then... I can think of at least one being that has power beyond all the Felaryan Guardians combined (even if there are more than the ones we know about), but I'd be willing to bet that you can't come up with an entity more powerful than him.

That being is the God of All Creation (not the Christian concept, necessarily), essentially whatever being is responsible for creating or overseeing every Universe that has existed or will exist, including Felarya.

If you are not him, then you are not more powerful than the Guardians in their home realm.

If you are him, then you are more powerful than the Guardians in their home realm... but it's irrelevant if you aren't planning on using that power against them.

And typically, a being like that exists on a level so far beyond our comprehension, there is really no point in even including him in the consideration; THE God of All Creation surely has better things to do than interfere with Felarya's natural order... which he probably set up himself in the first place, being The God of All Creation. As long as it's "working as intended", why would he even care what happens on Felarya? Smile
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 8:12 am

zelda31 wrote:
If you follow this logic, the powerfull being will be defeated by a more powerfull being who will be defeated by another more powerful being, it's endless.

As I said previously this powerfull being will attract other powerfull being and as Quantum said it's a question of realm, and even if a creature states he is more powerful than the guardians it doesn't mean the guardians can not defeat him.

The guardians protect Felarya from a countless time, so they face many powerfull opponents and maybe more powerful than then but Felarya it's still there.

To have the absolute power doesn't mean to be undefeated Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 8:22 am

In addition, the common being that we would use the term "god" to describe is not the same thing as "God", the all-powerful deity of major religions like Christianity, Islam, Judaism, the Bahá'í faith, etc. They are simply very powerful beings who are most certainly beyond our understanding, and have their own societies and culture built around them.

Every cultural myth and legend about Creation might be true somewhere, but it is not true everywhere. If Odin created the Earth (I know he isn't a creator god, I'm just providing a hypothetical example), then obviously Ra could not have created the Earth, despite what the Egyptians may believe.

Also, if the average "god" is as omnipotent and omnsicent as they would like you to believe... why are they even involved with mortals at all? Sleeping with mortals, having children with mortals, entrusting mortal heroes to perform tasks that could possibly lead to the end of the world if they fail, etc. Just think about it. Laughing

I recommend checking out the Forgotten Realms novel Elminster in Hell for a good picture of the inner workings of a fantasy cosmology. For all Ed Greenwood's faults as a writer, and the lack of quality in some spots in the book, he managed a pretty good portrayal of Gods, Demons, Archdemons, Hell, and mortal involvement with all of the above. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My view on fairies   My view on fairies - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My view on fairies
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next