Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trade routes, paths, etc.

Go down 
+17
zelda31
nksrocks
Whiteagle
/Fish/
11cookeaw1
PrinnyDood
vegeta002
Raveolution
gwadahunter2222
Cypress
S-Guy
Karbo
TheQuantumMechanic
Mirukani
Malahite
Amaroq
observer88
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
11cookeaw1
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
11cookeaw1

Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 3:15 am

yeah trade routes,
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:09 am

11cookeaw1 wrote:
yeah trade routes,

This offers absolutely nothing to the conversation.
Back to top Go down
Whiteagle
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Whiteagle

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 12:28 am

Considering that this has been two or three pages of those two arguing over whether Bandits or Predators are a bigger threat to convoys, I don't think its' a problem.
And the Solution is simple, have along a Bigger and/or Scarier Predator already on your payroll.

Then again... my character IS pretty overpowered...
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 8:17 am

Whiteagle wrote:
And the Solution is simple, have along a Bigger and/or Scarier Predator already on your payroll.
This usually only works with either Faeries (their curiosity) or Dridders (the fact that they tend to make armors and such). And in both of those cases you're just creating more problems later down the road: for Faeries, you're going to be causing others to get curious (which means either paying more, or having to deal with a bunch of angry Faeries). For Dridders, you're effectively equipping them for war (which, while it may allow them to wipe out other Predators in the area, now means you're stuck with Dridders who are probably sans a good deal competition).

Not to say you can't hire Predators out, it's just that most Predators could probably only be bought by Slave Traders / Takers considering they tend to only see one use for demi-humans: Food.
Back to top Go down
Whiteagle
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Whiteagle

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 11:45 am

Malahite wrote:
This usually only works with either Faeries (their curiosity) or Dridders (the fact that they tend to make armors and such). And in both of those cases you're just creating more problems later down the road: for Faeries, you're going to be causing others to get curious (which means either paying more, or having to deal with a bunch of angry Faeries). For Dridders, you're effectively equipping them for war (which, while it may allow them to wipe out other Predators in the area, now means you're stuck with Dridders who are probably sans a good deal competition).

Not to say you can't hire Predators out, it's just that most Predators could probably only be bought by Slave Traders / Takers considering they tend to only see one use for demi-humans: Food.
I didn't say it had to be a Predator from Felarya, did I?
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Good luck getting something from off-world to purposely go to Felarya. :p

Though I guess if desperate enough you could bring something like a Tarrasque with you. Crush into a small cube, keep in small cube, throw small cube and allow to regenerate when you believe a Predator is nearby. Run like hell, then watch as hilarity ensues.
Back to top Go down
Whiteagle
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Whiteagle

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 2:54 pm

Malahite wrote:
Good luck getting something from off-world to purposely go to Felarya. :p

Though I guess if desperate enough you could bring something like a Tarrasque with you. Crush into a small cube, keep in small cube, throw small cube and allow to regenerate when you believe a Predator is nearby. Run like hell, then watch as hilarity ensues.
What?
You don't think that an Off-world Predator that's enough of a badass to take on Felarya game wouldn't be willing to work with Humanoids?
Or do you think the rest of the Multi-verse works on Felarya's screwed up food web layout?
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 3:47 pm

I think that most people who have access to multiversal teleportation would pick a better place to go than Felarya, if able.

Furthermore, there's the issue of actually taking on Felarya game. While there are some things that could reliably take on a Predator and 'win' (Yautja with Wargear, for instance, and Catachan Barking Toads if MAD scenarios count as 'winning'), most things don't stand much of a shot because Felarya beasties combine Intelligence with Power, and some can add magic to the equation as well. Tarrasque I suggested because the only way to kill one is to physically beat it to the point it's considered "Gibbed", then cast a Wish spell before it recovers to any state better than 'gibbed'. Magic is not a concern with them.

Basically: Very few things that could take on Felarya Predators (besides other Felaryan Predators) and either upheave the entire Status Quo, or just make things worse for adventurers.
Back to top Go down
Whiteagle
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Whiteagle

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:09 pm

Malahite wrote:
I think that most people who have access to multiversal teleportation would pick a better place to go than Felarya, if able.

Furthermore, there's the issue of actually taking on Felarya game. While there are some things that could reliably take on a Predator and 'win' (Yautja with Wargear, for instance, and Catachan Barking Toads if MAD scenarios count as 'winning'), most things don't stand much of a shot because Felarya beasties combine Intelligence with Power, and some can add magic to the equation as well. Tarrasque I suggested because the only way to kill one is to physically beat it to the point it's considered "Gibbed", then cast a Wish spell before it recovers to any state better than 'gibbed'. Magic is not a concern with them.

Basically: Very few things that could take on Felarya Predators (besides other Felaryan Predators) and either not upheave the entire Status Quo, or just make things worse for adventurers.
I doubt this highly.
While something that could take on Felarya game might probably be a MASSIVE predator in its' own right, it would not need to be large enough to pray upon them.
The Counter-Predator could also be small, but extremely powerful (Like my default Character).
Further more, this doesn't discount that said Counter-Predator is as intelligent as a Felaryan one.
What would probably be the case is a species of super large scale predator sentience evolved along side a Humanoid race.
Each would have filled a different ecological niche on their home world, and would eventually develop an understanding of the other.
So when the Humanoids started to explore parts unknown, they would naturally want to bring along their larger friends for protection.
Back to top Go down
nksrocks
Marauder of the deep jungle
nksrocks

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:54 pm

There is already a "solution" if we can call it so, for expedition travels and safety... at least, more or less 30%.

It's called -Gunther-, am I right?
Still this does solve the problem just on those who can actually hire him... so this is an useless post Razz

Just wanted to mention him.
Back to top Go down
http://nksrocks.deviantart.com/
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 9:22 am

or you just get your hands on some really high caliber guns I ready discovered one that can pierce reinforced concert and still kill it's target and it has rapid fire as a plus but you'll need a vehicle to carry it
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:14 am

You will be in a stomach before you get to warming it up. Smile Remember how effective the minigun was in Predator? That's not really useful against smart, fast predators.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:21 am

How about Dryads? I doubt most of them are very quick.
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
Feign
Feign

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 12:43 pm

vegeta002 wrote:
How about Dryads? I doubt most of them are very quick.
Most Dryads also have a fairly reliable weakness to fire... Except for those who don't.

Also, the movie "Predator" example holds especially true with Dryads, as they tend to specialize in camouflage, invisibility, and psychic effects.

As for Mal's example of bringing in an outsider, a Claymore Warrior would be very handy, and readily for hire, Though it would take a top-ten ranked Warrior to deal with giant preds (and they're pricey), or one of the hunting teams...

Or hell, an Abyss Feeder or two would provide complete safety while they're around, though they could only be trained to devour one particular species at most. And they're more likely to wander off aiming to make that target species extinct. Not the most reliable protection.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
You will be in a stomach before you get to warming it up. Smile Remember how effective the minigun was in Predator? That's not really useful against smart, fast predators.
Depends on what era, really. Some universes have absurd weapons (Phasers, though horrible in design, would wreck a Felaryan Predator. Too bad no Feddie would use it, spouting instead how it's not their place to get involved in the affairs of the planet).
Feign wrote:
Most Dryads also have a fairly reliable weakness to fire... Except for those who don't.
Everything's weak against fire. You just need to increase what counts as 'sufficient' (Dryads would likely react in pure terror to an AA-12 using either FRAG-12, HE, or Dragonbreath slugs - the second being capable of burning through a half inch of (reinforced?) steel while the later basically the weapon into a flamethrower).

The issue being that these weapons are seemingly rare on Felarya. Miratans have the tech, but they most certainly aren't sharing. Delurans, well, I never really hear much about their tech but I always assume it's more around late 19th / early 20th century. Negavians have some pretty advanced tech, but most of it's stationary and not capable of being dragged out by Mercs. Othemites might have it, but they never show it (which is understandable, seeing as they're priests first exterminators second). Beyond this and a few crossover factions brought in, very few groups get above early renaissance level in tech - the one exception being the Solaris Firearm Inc which even then seems to be led by a higher-up race pulling the strings.

Summarized: The weapons exist, the caravan's access to them doesn't.

When it comes to outsiders, there are plenty of beings that can pose a threat to Predators. However, as I stated, many of them said things are also going to be (unless specifically created for the story) just as bad for everyone else. That, or they're not going to travel to Felarya willingly in the first place. A liche for instance could pose a major threat to the stability of Felarya, but would probably never go there because there's a good chance they'll crumble instantly and not return to their soul container.

Best bet for anti-predator that's plausible for them to achieve is bribes / sacrifices. Following that comes a tie between not being found in the first place and having a shitload of mages on-hand.
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:37 pm

depleted uranium rounds could turn any predator into a tender ash and the only thing that can stop it is a modified magnetic field and is useable in multiple calibers
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 3:20 pm

zelda31 wrote:
depleted uranium rounds could turn any predator into a tender ash and the only thing that can stop it is a modified magnetic field and is useable in multiple calibers
In addition the cost which will be very expansive and it's general it's military weaponries and few civilians can have it in a "legal" way. And a mass using of this weapon can be dangerous for the health because it has been proved it's more radioactive than a nuclear explosion.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 4:05 pm

I don't think radiation is much of a concern on Felarya. Almost everything else isn't if it won't be lethal within a several hour / minute period.
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 2:26 pm

your forgetting about the soil also the word depleted would tell you that there is less radiation in the uranium being used for the rounds do you not know how to look for key words seriously and people say I overlook things
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 2:55 pm

zelda31 wrote:
your forgetting about the soil also the word depleted would tell you that there is less radiation in the uranium being used for the rounds do you not know how to look for key words seriously and people say I overlook things
If they are used a few times yes, but it's another matter when it comes to a massive application, in your opinion why there are few calibers.
depleted doesn't mean it's safe and you can abuse without consequence Very Happy
They are not immediate consequences but over time, middle and long term it's another point.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 12:52 pm

I also fear about making things too unbalanced. This is a good idea I think, but if we have too many things that give prey advantages against predators, then it takes away the "Felaryan-ness" and no longer makes them prey.
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 9:40 am

giant sentinent predators seem invincible at a first glance but there are serveral if not more infantry weapons can kill but there effectiveness on certain beings like elementals it's practical useless hence there are beings in ferlarya that make these weapons useless so shut up already
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 12:13 pm

Personally, I don't see why people are so up in arms about people defending themselves. It's a world of Vore, not a world of Suicide-Craving Demi-Humans. You can expect people to defend themselves. Heck, you should expect people to defend themselves, and you should expect them to win some of the times too.

Trade is vital for both sides of the equation, Predator and Prey. Do you think Predator populaces could expand to as high as they are if everyone holed up in giant walled cities similar to Negav but with all supplies teleported into them? Trade caravans provide a good deal of food, magical items, and material wealth (some Predators have need of such). If there were no way to defend the caravans, there would be much less of them. A decent loss in caravan number's (say only 50%, being generous to Predators and assuming all Caravan Leaders are Darwin Award Winners waiting to happen) means greater competition between Predators (more bouts between them), greater roaming areas for each (since they're less likely to get enough from one small area), etc.

Basically, giving defense to Felarya Caravans does not break the system. Saying the people should be helpless does.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 1:39 pm

People who posted on this topic never answered

Where do you start and where do you go Question
How many times you plane to join it Question
What do you plan to convoy except your bullets Question

Because it's cool to think to equip yourself with all the weapons possible and imaginable but since the moment you engage a battle or immobilized in the middle of nowhere and you take serious damage with a few chance to get reinforcement in time.

The dangers of Felarya are various and don't limit to its hybrids inhabitants.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 6:08 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
People who posted on this topic never answered

Where do you start and where do you go Question
How many times you plane to join it Question
What do you plan to convoy except your bullets Question

Because it's cool to think to equip yourself with all the weapons possible and imaginable but since the moment you engage a battle or immobilized in the middle of nowhere and you take serious damage with a few chance to get reinforcement in time.

The dangers of Felarya are various and don't limit to its hybrids inhabitants.
Your access to reinforcements is limited by things like how many and how good your mages are - namely, if you can find some that teleport. And if your crew rocks, you can beat the bandits - much like the Americans beat the damned Somali pirates off their ship (hoo-ray!).

Caravans don't need top level firepower all the time - what they need is to start off from a safer zone like Negav or the Miratan base, and fly in the stratosphere where Preds can't reach them, until they drop down in one of the other safer zones.

And it is really feasible that humans might devise a way to teleport food and supplies, eliminating the need for caravans. Humans like safety, and will go to any extreme to maximize safety. If teleportation is indeed possible, it will be a subject of great research and magic/tech development. At some point the preds will HAVE to attack the Miratans, Negav, the Jungle Bowl, etc. to get food. Or they'll turn on one another. Nagas and fairies fighting over food - wouldn't that be a sight...

And Mahalite:
Quote :

Basically, giving defense to Felarya Caravans does not break the system. Saying the people should be helpless does.
You're teh awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trade routes, paths, etc.   Trade routes, paths, etc. - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trade routes, paths, etc.
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next