Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What book are you reading now?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mirukani
Helpless prey
Mirukani

What book are you reading now? Empty
PostSubject: What book are you reading now?   What book are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 9:34 am

I'm going back and forth between two of my favorite series of all time - one of which I own, the other I'm borrowing from the library. The series?

The Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix (Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen, in that order)
The Doctrine of Labyrinths by Sarah Monette (Melusine, The Virtu, and The Mirador are currently out... I'm waiting for Corambis to finish the series)

On the Abhorsen trilogy... the magic and depth of the world and the hilariously funny characters (Mogget!!) combined with epic-level fantasy adventures make a wonderful, engaging read. The descriptions are fantastic, and I've often wondered what it would be like to be a Charter Mage in that world Razz

It's actually for some of the opposite reasons that I like the Abhorsen trilogy that I like the Doctrine of Labyrinths series - the characters, though obviously well-known in their home city of Melusine, are pitifully insignificant. Felix is thoroughly a spoilt brat used to getting his way, and takes obvious joy in putting others down just for the hell of it, and Mildmay is funny, but there's certainly times when you want to smack him for his own stupidity as well as wanting to beat down Felix for being a jerk.

Besides... how can you not love a series that has one of the main characters totally insane and hallucinating for the majority of the first book? AND you read from his point of view!

So. What books are you reading right now?
Back to top Go down
http://madameruby.deviantart.com
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading now?   What book are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 6:46 pm

Space Wolf Omnibus. Pretty good read, doesn't go too far over the edge compared to some 40K novels. It still mixes in small amounts of humor ["It's just like you Sven, it opens its mouth and its head disappears."], doesn't have painful to read combat, etc. Author was also consistent. For an overall summary, Genetic Super Vikings in Space.
Back to top Go down
Mirukani
Helpless prey
Mirukani

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading now?   What book are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 7:16 pm

Malahite wrote:
For an overall summary, Genetic Super Vikings in Space.
This alone makes me want to read it! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://madameruby.deviantart.com
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading now?   What book are you reading now? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 7:33 pm

The first book talks about the planet they're recruited from, the process, the warriors, etc. Not too much action compared to the other novels. Also gives what I feel was a decent glimpse of how low-tech cultures would see high-tech ones without any explanation.

Second one I'm just getting into, right now it's them [well, the majority of a group] visiting their first new world.

Third haven't gotten onto.

Fourth is the repercussions of one's actions in the 3rd, and their 'punishment's effects.

After that I think it switches authors. It's in the 40K series, so it isn't every person's type of Sci-Fi.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you reading now?   What book are you reading now? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What book are you reading now?
Page 1 of 1