Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Two new monsters

Go down 
+8
Reptillian
/Fish/
Shady Knight
S-Guy
NovusWolf
FalconJudge
Malahite
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 4:10 am

1.Bullet Crab
Size: As big as a full grown African Elephant
Threat: Very high
Description: A giant yellow crab with purple stripes on it's claws. One claw is half the size of the crab.
Hunting techniques: Generates a bubble between it's bigger claw, then clamps down, popping the bubble and causing a shockwave that can kill human sized prey and stun prey as big as the Crab. Then it just grabs the stunned/dead prey and eats it.
Defences: It's shell is strong enough to withstand 3 rockets shot at the same place at the same time.

2.Frostbite Python
Size: Same size as Vivian, only twice as long
Threat: Very high
Description: A huge ice-blue python, temperature drops by 50 degrees Celcius in area within 100 yards of it.
Hunting techniques: Once prey is spotted, it will wrap it's body around the area where the prey is, creating a circular barrier to stop the prey from escaping. Then, it starts tightening the circle, forcing the prey into the middle of the circle. Finally, it fires an ice beam from it's jaws, completely freezing the prey before consuming the prey.

Tell me what you think of these two monsters Smile

Last edited by 0332288 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Takes down crab's defence from 5 rockets to 3)
Back to top Go down
http://0332288.deviantart.com
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 4:45 am

The crab's defenses are a bit overkill. Right now, assuming you meant five rockets in the same place, you have it's carapace equivalent to at least two feet of steel. If you can give a plausible reason for this, go for it.
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:43 am

Err... I know its not, but this seems like godmodeing, at least for the crab. Bugs resist magic, so physical measures are all you have, and five rockets seems a bit much...

To me, anyways.
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
NovusWolf
Marauder of the deep jungle
NovusWolf

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:49 am

FalconJudge wrote:
Err... I know its not, but this seems like godmodeing, at least for the crab. Bugs resist magic, so physical measures are all you have, and five rockets seems a bit much...

To me, anyways.

Note: Crab is a Crustacian, a sea creature that has a carapace and walks around, not a insect.

Anyways, 5 rockets does seem a little overkill, especially as i could kill a African Elephant with less!

I'd tone it down to possibly 2 or 3, or give it a equivilant toughness (e.g.: Mitran Battle Mech, Challenger 2 Battle Tank etc)
Back to top Go down
http://deadplanet.forumotion.net
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 9:21 am

Yeah. If you meant "Five Rockets" as in it could take that much damage spread out across its body, there wouldn't even be much body left to withstand anything more than a light wind. Either increase the size if that's what you meant, decrease the durability of the carapace if you meant it was that durable, or something similar.
Back to top Go down
S-Guy
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
S-Guy

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 7:25 pm

Malahite wrote:
Yeah. If you meant "Five Rockets" as in it could take that much damage spread out across its body, there wouldn't even be much body left to withstand anything more than a light wind.

Ooh, now wouldn't that be fun. It would be like a cartoon. Just walk up, *blow* and it tips right over. Razz

Anyways, 5 rockets is definitely a little much, even for something giant. Think about it, the shell isn't that thick, considering you could probably crush a crab shell under your foot at its normal size, so maybe 1 or 2 rockets would be fair.

You have to factor in blast radius, incineration from the explosion, momentum, thickness of the shell, strength of the shell, etc. Its either overkill, or you're thinking of some pretty wussy rockets. Wink
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 8:47 pm

Err, by "bug" I meant "arthropod". Tonorions are like centipeeds, and they're magic-resistant too.
Back to top Go down
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 4:11 am

Ok i'll take down the crabs defence a little, down to 3 rockets. So what d'ya think of the snake?
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 6:12 am

It's unique, and sounds pretty good. At first glance the freeze-thing seems a bit odd, but considering the majority prey species would be too small to constrict it's actually well thought out.
Back to top Go down
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 1:57 am

Thanks Smile Oh and i forgot to say it's defences.

Defences: It's scales are inpenetrable by swords and ordinary bullets, but rockets, lightsabres or anything that explodes/ generates intense heat can easily bust through them

Last edited by 0332288 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bullets specified as ordinary now e.g. NOT incindery bullets)
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 12:38 pm

0332288 wrote:

Defences: It's scales are inpenetrable by swords and bullets, but rockets, lightsabres or anything that explodes/ generates intense heat can easily bust through them
Obviously, you have never heard of inciendary bullets, or that bullets fired from a minigun has a lot more kinetic power than those fired from pistols for example.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 1:44 pm

Tsk, tsk. Don't you know how to deal with giant enemy crabs?
Back to top Go down
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 6:52 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
0332288 wrote:

Defences: It's scales are inpenetrable by swords and bullets, but rockets, lightsabres or anything that explodes/ generates intense heat can easily bust through them
Obviously, you have never heard of inciendary bullets, or that bullets fired from a minigun has a lot more kinetic power than those fired from pistols for example.

The problem is fixed now
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 3:23 pm

isn't that bullet crab just a rip offfrom the actual living pistol shrimp???
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 4:14 pm

Quote :
How the hell can you rip off an actual animal? It's not like they copyright their body parts.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 4:35 pm

Only issue I think I find with the snake is the "-50 Celsius" effect they have going for them. They can take just about anything below 122 Fahrenheit to freezing with their presence alone. They don't need to use their breath attack. Might want to change it instead to either something less severe, or instead of a generic minus set amount to 'down to a certain temp, if the current temp is above such.'
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 9:17 pm

Quote :
Quote:

How the hell can you rip off an actual animal? It's not like they copyright their body parts.

Oh, with the current state of legal science, I'm not so sure.
Back to top Go down
observer88
observer88

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Well, you have to be inspired from somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://observer88.deviantart.com/
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 4:09 am

Malahite wrote:
Only issue I think I find with the snake is the "-50 Celsius" effect they have going for them. They can take just about anything below 122 Fahrenheit to freezing with their presence alone. They don't need to use their breath attack. Might want to change it instead to either something less severe, or instead of a generic minus set amount to 'down to a certain temp, if the current temp is above such.'

YEah i've been thinking about that too. How about "the temperature around it drops by 50 degrees Celcius unless the temperature is already at 5 degrees Celcius, in which case it will lower the temperature to -45 degrees Celcius." or should i increase the lowest temperature to -30 or higher?
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 4:37 am

0332288 wrote:
Malahite wrote:

YEah i've been thinking about that too. How about "the temperature around it drops by 50 degrees Celcius unless the temperature is already at 5 degrees Celcius, in which case it will lower the temperature to -45 degrees Celcius." or should i increase the lowest temperature to -30 or higher?
If you switch it at that point it still will not matter much as it's only a five degree shift in an already below-zero area. No idea what would be a proper 'set' amount to drop it, a good stopping point if you have it reducing to a certain temp would be five degrees though. Not too far above freezing, but still cold enough to play hell with anything without good insulation or that's cold blooded.
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 2:09 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Quote :

guess your right, it was was just a sudden whim(i think that's how you say but plz correct if wrong)they are just pretty much alike.
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 2:36 am

Malahite wrote:
0332288 wrote:
Malahite wrote:

If you switch it at that point it still will not matter much as it's only a five degree shift in an already below-zero area. No idea what would be a proper 'set' amount to drop it, a good stopping point if you have it reducing to a certain temp would be five degrees though. Not too far above freezing, but still cold enough to play hell with anything without good insulation or that's cold blooded.

Ok how about it cools everything within 100 yards of it down to 0 degrees Celcius? That should work.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 4:29 am

Then we have "Goes in Volcano, drops to freezing". I really need to work on my wording, this forum is not the only place. Anyways, something like the 45 degree celsius drop with a max level it can decrease to being zero could work.
Back to top Go down
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 3:09 am

Malahite wrote:
Then we have "Goes in Volcano, drops to freezing". I really need to work on my wording, this forum is not the only place. Anyways, something like the 45 degree celsius drop with a max level it can decrease to being zero could work.

Wow this temperature drop effect is frustrating... Ok let's try that again... how about "everything BELOW 40 DEGREES CELCIUS and within 100 yards of the cobra gets chilled to 0 degrees celcius"? Please let that work...
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 7:26 am

0332288 wrote:
Malahite wrote:

Wow this temperature drop effect is frustrating... Ok let's try that again... how about "everything BELOW 40 DEGREES CELCIUS and within 100 yards of the cobra gets chilled to 0 degrees celcius"? Please let that work...
How about everything in CONTACT with the cobra gets its temperature lowered? Because if it can lower the temperature of a 100 yard radius that much, just think how cold their body is, which defeats the purpose of the ice breath if they catch prey by constricting them.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Two new monsters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two new monsters   Two new monsters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two new monsters
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next