Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fairy debate thread

Go down 
+3
L'Ryn
GREGOLE
Byakugan01
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Byakugan01
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Fairy debate thread Empty
PostSubject: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:11 am

Me and my bright ideas....

Last edited by Byakugan01 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:22 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:22 am

Too late. A. There's already a thread for this. B. My temper flared up a LONG time ago.

Fairies are human beings with insect parts. Period. There's no way of escaping it. That makes them human/insect hybrids. I defy anyone to explain how a human with insect parts isn't a human/insect hybrid. You might as well argue that a dog isn't a quadruped, despite having four legs.

If fairies didn't also have antennae, the naysayers MIGHT have a case. Unfortunately for them, they DO have antennae.
And before anyone brings up Melany, just remember that PLENTY of insects have similar horns.

And trying to ignore that notion is one of the most blatantly absurd, pointless, wasteful things I could possibly think of doing, short of driving an oil rig over Captain Planet.

I mean, if you ignore the insect thing, what do you have? Flying elves.
Have I mentioned that I hate elves? They are the laziest, least creative, least interesting fantasy race I have ever had the displeasure of encountering, and are the embodiment of why I have a hard time tolerating fantasy in general.
And snapping some wings onto them does NOT make them the least bit more interesting.

Besides, ignoring the insect thing means ignoring the larvae thing. And frankly, I think anyone who sees fit to ignore the larva thing needs to have their hands removed and be prohibited from ever participating in a writing project ever again.

But that's just me.

Quote :
5) From an outside perspective, Fairies that hunt and gobble up their hunters is already very original...as is the idea of 100 foot fairies.

Actually, no it's not. Fairies of folklore were often some of the nastiest little fuckers one could encounter in the woods.

Quote :
2) Their magical nature is a flat-out contradiction to the magical resistance of Felaryan insects. The fact that they can be pushed out of an area by insects is also a reason-I would expect to see them carving out a niche as insects instead of being pushed out were that the case.

The wiki states that MANY Felaryan insects are magic-resistant, not all of them. There's a good chance the magic resistance of insects is actually somehow related to the high magic content of fairies. For all we know, it was an adaptation to protect their ancestors from early fairies, who shared their niche.
That, or maybe insects were just the first ones to evolve protection from fairies, seeing as how bugs evolve quickly.

And before anyone tries to say "Oh, but fairies hate insects! If they were part insect, they would get along with other bugs!" don't. If you actually think that, then you have no buisness talking to other people about bugs until you learn SOMETHING about entomology.
Back to top Go down
Byakugan01
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:38 am

My idea is more not that they wouldn't hate bugs, but rather they would not be pushed out of their territory by insects (I'm specifically thinking of Temi's fairies here). However, you do have a good point about the magic resistance. It certainly has been happening in the real world with relation to pesticide usage since insects can have so many generations in a short amount of time. And Fairies are certainly an old enough race to have had that effect on insects. And given the point you raise, they CANNOT have resistance to magic since they THEMSELVES are magical in nature.
Back to top Go down
L'Ryn
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
L'Ryn

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:49 am

Don't bother with this thread, Byakugan. GREGOLE is the authority here and we really can't say anything against him. He elaborated more upon the fairies and so they are essentially 'his'. If having antennae and wings that are shaped like leaves make them insects according to Ryla's creator, it's an insect and we can't change it.

Although I am curious as to how that would play out, because that would mean Nemyra herself is under Quazzy's control. Hm.

GREGOLE's signature isn't just for show ya know.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:51 am

Quote :
Although I am curious as to how that would play out, because that would mean Nemyra herself is under Quazzy's control. Hm.

Being omnipotent has advantages like that.

Quote :
Don't bother with this thread, Byakugan. GREGOLE is the authority here and we really can't say anything against him. He elaborated more upon the fairies and so they are essentially 'his'. If having antennae and wings that are shaped like leaves make them insects according to Ryla's creator, it's an insect and we can't change it.

I wouldn't go THAT far...

Quote :

GREGOLE's signature isn't just for show ya know.

I WOULD go that far. XP
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:04 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Too late. A. There's already a thread for this. B. My temper flared up a LONG time ago.

Fairies are human beings with insect parts. Period. There's no way of escaping it. That makes them human/insect hybrids. I defy anyone to explain how a human with insect parts isn't a human/insect hybrid. You might as well argue that a dog isn't a quadruped, despite having four legs.
And angel have birds wing so it's they are hybrids human/birds, I know they are not avian creature it's sometime absurd.
The modern vision of fairies with insect wings appeared in the Victorian era, at the origins the fairies doesn't have wings. Their shape vary from myth to another etc...

GREGOLE wrote:

If fairies didn't also have antennae, the naysayers MIGHT have a case. Unfortunately for them, they DO have antennae.
And before anyone brings up Melany, just remember that PLENTY of insects have similar horns.

And trying to ignore that notion is one of the most blatantly absurd, pointless, wasteful things I could possibly think of doing, short of driving an oil rig over Captain Planet.

I mean, if you ignore the insect thing, what do you have? Flying elves.
Have I mentioned that I hate elves? They are the laziest, least creative, least interesting fantasy race I have ever had the displeasure of encountering, and are the embodiment of why I have a hard time tolerating fantasy in general.
And snapping some wings onto them does NOT make them the least bit more interesting.

Besides, ignoring the insect thing means ignoring the larvae thing. And frankly, I think anyone who sees fit to ignore the larva thing needs to have their hands removed and be prohibited from ever participating in a writing project ever again.

As I see here is more personal opinions with some scientific explanation to says you're right, all your explanation are interesting but the definition of the concept of the fairies is a humanoid creature with magical abilities. The fact they have insect wings antennas and no matter what you want but when a fairies is defined is always in relation with magic. Their shape can be define as a consequence of their magic. Magic are known to have some side effects. In a purely science view maybe your explanation can be true, but the fact magic are involving here it can be true or false.

It's possible some fairies are hybrids insects/humans or not, after all it's magic.

GREGOLE wrote:

The wiki states that MANY Felaryan insects are magic-resistant, not all of them. There's a good chance the magic resistance of insects is actually somehow related to the high magic content of fairies. For all we know, it was an adaptation to protect their ancestors from early fairies, who shared their niche.
That, or maybe insects were just the first ones to evolve protection from fairies, seeing as how bugs evolve quickly.

And before anyone tries to say "Oh, but fairies hate insects! If they were part insect, they would get along with other bugs!" don't. If you actually think that, then you have no buisness talking to other people about bugs until you learn SOMETHING about entomology.

The insects don't only resist to fairy magic, as I said the fact insect develop a resistance to magic doesn't necessary mean it's due to fairies magic because they resist to any kind of magic in general, Felarya is world rich in magic so some creatures can develop resistance to it as a defence. It can be independent to fairies after all the insects are known to be a very resistant life form. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:14 pm

Quote :
And angel have birds wing so it's they are hybrids human/birds, I know they are not avian creature it's sometime absurd.

Angels don't have additional avian features. Fairies DO have additional insect features. When are you going to drop that argument already?

Quote :
The modern vision of fairies with insect wings appeared in the Victorian era, at the origins the fairies doesn't have wings. Their shape vary from myth to another etc...

I was always under the impression that they're only called fairies because of their resemblance to the modern conception of the creature.

Quote :
As I see here is more personal opinions with some scientific explanation to says you're right, all your explanation are interesting but the definition of the concept of the fairies is a humanoid creature with magical abilities. The fact they have insect wings antennas and no matter what you want but when a fairies is defined is always in relation with magic. Their shape can be define as a consequence of their magic. Magic are known to have some side effects. In a purely science view maybe your explanation can be true, but the fact magic are involving here it can be true or false.

It's possible some fairies are hybrids insects/humans or not, after all it's magic.

ALL tauric, half human hybrids in Felarya are magical. Evolution doesn't produce such creatures.

If nagas are part snake, then fairies are part insect. Simple as that.

Quote :
The insects don't only resist to fairy magic, as I said the fact insect develop a resistance to magic doesn't necessary mean it's due to fairies magic because they resist to any kind of magic in general, Felarya is world rich in magic so some creatures can develop resistance to it as a defence. It can be independent to fairies after all the insects are known to be a very resistant life form. Razz

I don't see how fairy magic is any different from "normal" magic. Fairies use it, fairies share territory with giant insects, so giant insects develop a resistance to it. Simple as that.
Back to top Go down
L'Ryn
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
L'Ryn

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:17 pm

Here we go again. Rolling Eyes

GREGOLE, gwada, you two BOTH have very valid points. Angels only have ONE avian feature, while fairies rack up a grand total of TWO.

Can't we just get along (or atleast keep our mouths shut) and leave all of this to the President/Ruler/Evil Admin?
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:20 pm

Quote :
GREGOLE, gwada, you two BOTH have very valid points. Angels only have ONE avian feature, while fairies rack up a grand total of TWO.

Which makes my argument TWICE as strong as his!

Quote :
Can't we just get along (or atleast keep our mouths shut) and leave all of this to the President/Ruler/Evil Admin?

You're welcome to. However, some of us don't feel like it.
Back to top Go down
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:21 pm

I think fairys are insect hybrids, unique ones yeah but they still are, else why would they have clearly insect type wings and antennea?

Saying they aren't partly insects is just... I don't even have a good word for to discribe how stupid it is without sounding too rude, They are more humanish in apperance, unlike say the Gyspa. And insted of being anti magic they are skilled in it. Thats what makes them unique, not all felaryan insects and insect hybrids need to have a resistance to magic.

Also about fairys in Human myth and legend is talking about THOSE kind of fairys. The fairys in felarya are clearly always humaniod/insect hybrids who have natrual skills in magic. If we wanna compare other human mythogly to Felarya then the sphinx wouldn't be right, the sphinx had the body of a lion and the head of a woman, nothing else while the sphinx's of Felarya half the upper torso of a woman AND the body of a lion.

Moral of what I'm saying is, Fairys are partly insects, you can't just overlook that.
Back to top Go down
http://melancholy-melody.deviantart.com/
L'Ryn
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
L'Ryn

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:31 pm

I just want the arguing to stop. It's a stupid enough argument. Fairies are one of the base species which make up Felarya, so shouldn't we let what they are rest with Karbo? Although them being part insect is very viable, then it would make Nemyra and Quaz's animosity stupid because Nemyra would be under control of Quaz essentially. Anyway, yeah, arguing is pointless we got your point, Fairies have exoskeletons and compound eyes too because they're part insects.

Fairies=Insects
Back to top Go down
Byakugan01
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:32 pm

Let's just drop it.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:43 pm

Moonlight-pendent wrote:

Also about fairys in Human myth and legend is talking about THOSE kind of fairys. The fairys in felarya are clearly always humaniod/insect hybrids who have natrual skills in magic. If we wanna compare other human mythogly to Felarya then the sphinx wouldn't be right, the sphinx had the body of a lion and the head of a woman, nothing else while the sphinx's of Felarya half the upper torso of a woman AND the body of a lion.
Just a little remark, the hybrid tauric creature lion/human exists before Felarya, many artists have already drawn picture like that. For example the picture of Yuni in the wiki had been drawn before the concept of the sphinx was developed in Felarya.In a general ways the concept of tauric creatures existed before Felarya. Now I will stop here.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:45 pm

L'Ryn wrote:
I just want the arguing to stop. It's a stupid enough argument. Fairies are one of the base species which make up Felarya, so shouldn't we let what they are rest with Karbo? Although them being part insect is very viable, then it would make Nemyra and Quaz's animosity stupid because Nemyra would be under control of Quaz essentially. Anyway, yeah, arguing is pointless we got your point, Fairies have exoskeletons and compound eyes too because they're part insects.

Fairies=Insects

Eh? I don't think I mentioned anything about them having exoskeletons. Huh shoulda kept that part in what I said where I think it would be overdoing it to give them that, a fairy with mandibles would be abit odd. And I don't think fairys= insects. Just like nagas don't exactly equal snakes, but are still considered snake hybrids.

And yeah I agree with Byakugan, this agruement is probably gonna get more heated eventually and that won't end well.
Back to top Go down
http://melancholy-melody.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 1:26 pm

Err regardless of everyone's opinon, keep it civil and friendly, please or I'll bite.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Haar
Great warrior
Great warrior
Haar

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 1:47 pm

I'm having trouble figuring out why it matters if fairies are human/insect hybrids or not... After all, it doesn't change anything other than the nominal categorization they are put under. They still have the same characteristics and features whichever way you define them as. A rose by any other name and all that.
Back to top Go down
http://haar.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fairy debate thread   Fairy debate thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fairy debate thread
Page 1 of 1