Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Volcanic Naga

Go down 
+2
Karbo
Anemone
6 posters

Good or Bad Idea
10: Amazing!
Volcanic Naga Vote_lcap31%Volcanic Naga Vote_rcap
 31% [ 4 ]
9: Almost Amazing
Volcanic Naga Vote_lcap8%Volcanic Naga Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
8: Great!
Volcanic Naga Vote_lcap23%Volcanic Naga Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
7: Good
Volcanic Naga Vote_lcap15%Volcanic Naga Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
6: Not too bad
 8% [ 1 ]
5: Meh
Volcanic Naga Vote_lcap0%Volcanic Naga Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
4: :(
 0% [ 0 ]
3: Nooooo!
 0% [ 0 ]
2: Why God Why!
 8% [ 1 ]
1:-|==> ()
Volcanic Naga Vote_lcap7%Volcanic Naga Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
Anemone
Helpless prey
Anemone

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 3:44 pm

Species: Naga
Domain: Tropical regions, Volcanic regions, Forest Canopy

Volcanic Naga possess several features that distinguish them from other Naga. For one, they do not need to breathe, their body does not require oxygen. Instead, whatever it takes in is burnt within a furnace like stomach containing flammable mucus lining. As such, they can eat a very wide array of foods. The core tempature of a volcanic naga, especially around the heart, is usualy at, or above 100 degrees celsius, or the point at which water boils. The reaction of the Volcanic Naga's bloodstream to this intense heat causes it to boil as well, changing the heat to kinetic energy, which the body harnesses to move. The lower the tempature drops, the less energy the Naga can put out. Their bodies are also adapted to rough, uneven landscapes fileld with crevices and gaps, making them dangerous forest canopy predators, as they are naturally adept at launching themselves over gaps. This has earnt them the nickname of "Flying Naga" or "Naga Harpie". Jungle living Volcanic Naga rarely, if ever, come down from the sun-scorched canopy, except to feed, as the cooler tempatures below are hazardous to their health with prolonged exposure. Also, they are able to survive under water, but the coolant properties of water are dangerous unless the water is of an equal or higher tempature than their outside skin.

Their flesh sits at 25 degrees celsius, above room tempature, but still safe to touch. Their scales tend to be red or brown, and they faaaaaaar prefer living creatures to other items, as they come with their own warmth.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 6:25 pm

This is an interesting design Smile

I especially loved the part on their metabolism and how the surrounding temperature act on them ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 5:17 am

i like it, though i would like to know how hot it has to be to burn them.
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Zillachary
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zillachary

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 6:35 am

Damnit. you stole my idea! sobsob

Razz

Anyway, you've got an interesting concept.
Back to top Go down
Anemone
Helpless prey
Anemone

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 8:13 am

Well... the danger wouldn't be them burning, it would be the tempature of their blood reaching a point where their veins burst (instead of fat causing their heart to fail) one could assume this to be around 400 degrees celsius or so.

I also forgot a key fact.... Their bodies also harvest themselves to a lesser degree, eating old, dead cells as fuel. This way, they are able to keep their core tempature stable, instead of needing to inhale another human every 12 seconds to live. This also means, if they don't eat, their bodies will shrink and well... reverse the signs of aging, to quote TV. it also emans key organs can potentially fail if they don't eat enough, as the cells won't reproduce instantly (This would be lethal as hell if Anna was one).
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 1:22 pm

These are really interesting, though I'm not sure a few things suit their physical design. If they were to live in the forest canopy, that would do them much less good than an arid, hot climate. I'd imagine that if one tried to make its home in Chidokai rainforest, it wouldn't at all be comfortable at all the next time the rains came. I'd think this type of naga would much better thrive in their own niche in zones like Lamina, as opposed to forest climates.

Since you have volcanic regions already in mind, may I suggest that those residing in the Pyrale Mountains have a relationship with the magnetic properties of the zone? Given that heat affects the shape of magnetic fields, I think it would be interesting to see them with an ability to manipulate those fields with the core of their bodies to some extent, just as the core of the earth does on the magnetic fields.

Quote :
naturally adept at launching themselves over gaps. This has earnt them the nickname of "Flying Naga" or "Naga Harpie"
... Maybe not the best of associations.....? ^^;
Back to top Go down
Anemone
Helpless prey
Anemone

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 1:45 pm

Depends how one loo at it. Volcanic naga can live in both equally, one ahs an abundance of food, but they need to eat more food. The other, less food, less dependancy. And when I say food, I mean stuff that is better than rocks, dirt, or other non-living items that they can digest.

Said abilities would be adapted from living there long enough. Not a race related skill, but a skill their race is more able at than the norm.
Back to top Go down
Zillachary
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zillachary

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 2:30 pm

Wait, isn't oxygen required for heat to actually burn or heat anything?
Back to top Go down
Anemone
Helpless prey
Anemone

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 2:43 pm

You're assuming the stomach isn't designed to burn items in a low oxygen enviroment, such as Volcanic regions, or within a volcano itself. The mucus's composition is similar to Greek fire laced with various chemicals. it catches fire easily from a small amount of friction, and acts as a fuel. The naga's body creates the chemicals used to fuel the mucus from digested dead cells, so the need to breathe oxygen is removed.
Back to top Go down
Zillachary
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zillachary

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Anemone wrote:
You're assuming the stomach isn't designed to burn items in a low oxygen enviroment, such as Volcanic regions, or within a volcano itself. The mucus's composition is similar to Greek fire laced with various chemicals. it catches fire easily from a small amount of friction, and acts as a fuel. The naga's body creates the chemicals used to fuel the mucus from digested dead cells, so the need to breathe oxygen is removed.

Oh, uh, I think I get the idea...maybe.

Are you sure you don't want to try this concept on a different or lesser used species?Nagas tend to be very overused when it comes to Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Anemone
Helpless prey
Anemone

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 3:07 pm

Theres no other species that could potentially be as heat dependant. Birds have no heat dependancy, a mermaid would be suicide, a dridder... still not going all too well, fairies... yeah... not exactly a heat based race.

Also, although this is implied.... they're dangerous when they burp. burping the the action taken when oxygen enters the stomach and causes it to bubble. if a Volcanic Naga burps, the resulting rush of air causes the mucus to ignite, and set the escaping air onfire in a low heat flame. its not a particularly dangerous flame, youi can take it to the chest, get up, and walk away. Its jsut a little quirk they have.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 3:40 pm

There are the squamatars, or the lizard hybrids, of which geckotaurs have been included into the wiki.
Back to top Go down
Zillachary
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zillachary

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 6:38 am

/Fish/ wrote:
There are the squamatars, or the lizard hybrids, of which geckotaurs have been included into the wiki.

Damned straight!Made by yours truly!
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:24 am

I like the basic idea, but I agree, we REALLY don't need anymore naga varieties. We already have far more than we know what to do with - especially seeing as how no one ever uses ANY variety but the standard version...

I disagree with birds having no heat dependency. They're just as heat-dependent as any other warm-blooded vertebrate. True, snakes need heat because they're cold-blooded, but nagas are clearly warm-blooded, so that becomes moot.

I could totally see a bird or a mermaid adapted for this niche. With a bird, you have the whole phoenix thing, or you could tailor it into a more dinosaur-like form - dinosaurs and volcanoes go together like bacon and eggs. Or maybe a pterosaur? Or hell, why not go with a lizard?

Spiders aren't traditionally assosciated with heat, but I could still see one working nicely. Just because no one else does it doesn't mean it doesn't work nicely in application.
Back to top Go down
Zillachary
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zillachary

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 1:59 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Or hell, why not go with a lizard?

YES.
Back to top Go down
Anemone
Helpless prey
Anemone

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 11:40 pm

After much thought... and alot of time spent trying to relocate here... I've decided, well, why not make some sort of Rival species to the volcanic naga, any suggestions, we can't have it predator free, nor prey free.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Volcanic Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Volcanic Naga   Volcanic Naga Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Volcanic Naga
Page 1 of 1