Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mage Ranks and promotion ideas

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Mage Ranks and promotion ideas Empty
PostSubject: Mage Ranks and promotion ideas   Mage Ranks and promotion ideas Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:54 pm

I'm currently writing a story where I need to come up with a way mages get promoted to "Archmage" status, and I've been thinking there are some conditions:

mage must be known by the archmages, and once he/she is known enough, the archmages discuss whether you should are eligible or not.
The mage must be an intermediate user in several classes at least, and have a specialization subject. meaning, a mage specializes in illusion, or combat magic, but is an intermediate or advanced user in every other category
once they are eligible they are brought before a few of the most successful archmages, and are assigned quite a few "quests" to be carried out, they have to accomplish a quite a few major assignments in addition to the ones they already have. the mage must also have taught classes for a certain number of years.

im also trying to think of ranks. obviously there are the normal ranks of apprentice, mage, and maybe grand mage, high mage, or some other specialization categories like glyph mage or whatever. there would also be "archmage, battlemage" and the highest rank of all would be acceptance into the psi'sol magiocrats which would most likely happen should one of them die since there would be a certain number.

any ideas would be helpful. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Mage Ranks and promotion ideas   Mage Ranks and promotion ideas Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 3:16 pm

I imagine one of the tests at some point is to kill a bunch of Spine Beetles... using only your magic. Obviously, those mages who focus on brute-force will have much more trouble with this task than those who put some creativity into their actions.

Creating one's own staff would probably fit somewhere in the equation as an added bonus, for the artifact creation experience, amplification it may provide to power as well as recognition it earns the caster (Her staff bears a blue stone of Mika! She has braved the Temple of the Forgotten Healer!).

I also suggest this just be one of many Mage's Guilds / Factions / etc., and not the one true guild to rule them all.
Back to top Go down
JC-Dragon
Naga food
JC-Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Mage Ranks and promotion ideas   Mage Ranks and promotion ideas Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 2:39 pm

I have read quit a few books that talk about this subject actually. Most of what you bring up follows pretty closely all ready. In some books the mage would need to either pass a test, know a certain number of spells, complete a list of objectives within their life, or others may appoint him/her based on renown. Believe it or not the hacker community is very much the same. if you do a little research on the history of hackers it may enlighten you and maybe help with ideas as well.

(by hacker, I mean it in a good way, too many people have the wrong idea about what a hacker is)
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Mage Ranks and promotion ideas   Mage Ranks and promotion ideas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:10 pm

hacker and cracker. yes I know about those

i heard that the term "hacker" came from originally some basic electronic device, and there was something stuck in it, so someone took a sharp object and "hacked" into it to get it out. i cant remember what it was. i also remember the term "bug" came from a bug that was literally stuck in a submarine's system, and prevented it from working too well. and in the report the bug was taped to the cover. XD

but i get off topic. thanks for the advice. i dont know what else would make sense. i dont have the time to spend hours coming up with a novel and unique idea for this subject.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mage Ranks and promotion ideas   Mage Ranks and promotion ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mage Ranks and promotion ideas
Page 1 of 1