Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Harpy Phrasebook

Go down 
+16
MrNobody13
TheLightLost
Anime-Junkie
PrinnyDood
VenomX3000
NovusWolf
AisuKaiko
Jætte_Troll
world_slayer
DeviantDiscordian
Reptillian
xlrp
/Fish/
Archmage_Bael
Karbo
Oldman40k2003
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 10:31 am

In the chat the subject came up of the difficultly of writing harpy speech. Zoekin and I discussed it some, and we figured that a "nice English" to "Harpy" phrase book might be useful, at least for inspiration. Please feel free to post your own suggestions, and if you get them from some story or artwork, please post a link to that too.

The Felaryan Wiki wrote:
"Most harpies have the curious habit of punctuating their sentences with threats and insults. The curious part is that they normally don't mean it at all, it's just traditional for them to use insults, and it would seem odd or even impolite if they didn't. The only time they skip this custom is if they are in a hurry or if they have something very important to say.

For example, if a harpy wanted to say: "I wish to speak to your sister", she would add a threat, like: "Let me see your sister or face my wrath!" If the other harpy wanted to reply: "She's not here." then she might actually say: "Insolent fool! My sister has more important matters to deal with than speaking to the likes of you!"

Upon hearing that exchange you might conclude that the two harpies are on the verge of killing each other, but that's not the case at all. The tone of the sentence gives subtle information about its real meaning. Some harpies are known to use extremely sophisticated insults with almost all the real information being in the tone of the insult rather than the actual words."

From the wiki:
Nice EnglishHarpy
"I wish to speak to your sister.""Let me see your sister or face my wrath!"
"She's not here.""Insolent fool! My sister has more important matters to deal with than speaking to the likes of you!"

(Suggested translations) from the Garnet comic:
Nice EnglishHarpy
"Hey you!""Oi slimeball!"
"Happy to see me?""Wet yourself? You should! 'Cause I'm going to rip yer sissy head off and spit down ya neck!"
"I'm happy to see you too.""Then... yeah! I'm gonna pull your @!#& tongue out and use it as a zipper!"
"Have a nice day.""Have a nice day and don't let the door hit you on teh way out, you sorry waste of space!"

Suggested by /Fish/:
Nice EnglishHarpy
"I have a favor to ask, can you lend me some help?""Move your lazy, good-for-nothing wings over here and do something useful."
"Sure, I'd be glad to help you.""You can't do anything yourself perma-chick. I lend you my assistance out of pity!"
"I have leftovers, do you want some?""Eat this weakling, maybe someday you'll be as great a hunter as I."
"Thank you, that was delicious.""I expected a more filling offering. Bring me more next time."

Suggested by Reptillian:
Nice EnglishHarpy
"My, what shiny feathers you have.""Your messy feathers aren't half as ugly as her's."

Last edited by Oldman40k2003 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding lines.)
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 5:24 pm

that's a great idea !
Inded writting in harpy language is not easy at all.. I'm learning that in the manga right now XD
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 5:49 pm

wow. XD. so you must have some samples then?
care posting them? or do you want to wait 'till after the manga's finished?
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 6:42 pm

I'm not quite sure if I have a good grasp on harpy translation. Here's my go at a few things.

Nice English:
"I have a favor to ask, can you lend me some help?"
Harpy talk:
"Move your lazy, good-for-nothing wings over here and do something useful."

Nice English:
"Sure, I'd be glad to help you."
Harpy talk:
"You can't do anything yourself perma-chick. I lend you my assistance out of pity!"

Nice English:
"I have leftovers, do you want some?"
Harpy talk:
"Eat this weakling, maybe someday you'll be as great a hunter as I."

Nice English:
"Thank you, that was delicious."
Harpy talk:
"I expected a more filling offering. Bring me more next time."
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 7:04 pm

I like the last line Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 1:57 am

haha great ones ! lol!

Ok I added the idea. I think it can be a great fun to find such phrases, and maybe even establish a grammar based on insult variations XD
Back to top Go down
xlrp
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 8:07 am

Mind if I ask on how compliments would work out?
Back to top Go down
http://xlrp.deviantart.com
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:43 pm

xlrp wrote:

nice english:
"my, what shiny feathers you have"

harpy:
"your messy feathers aren't half as ugly as her's"

something like that^^
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 3:37 pm

lol. man it would be stressful being a harpy's mate. @_@
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 6:21 pm

xlrp wrote:

Harpies can "compliment"? Shocked

Archmage_Bael wrote:
lol. man it would be stressful being a harpy's mate. @_@
Yeah, you probably wouldn't even be able to insult them. For example:
You: "I'm tired of living in this fucking nest seventy fucking stories above the ground! I hate you and your entire species, and if I ever get out of here I will make it my personal mission to create a chain store that sells nothing but Felaryan Fried Harpy!"
Her, with tears of happiness in her eyes: "Sweetie, that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!" "Well at least you can make an okay fucking compliment."

Hmmmmm.... all of mine seem so tame. Insulting, but not bold like I think harpies are/should be.

"You're ugly." => "You look like your father." or maybe "You look male." (Since there are no male harpies except for Hector!) Razz
"Want to hunt together?" => "Come hunting with me, I need to show you how it's done!"
"You're a slob."/"You're unhygienic." => "Your eggs rot in their nest!"
"You're not very smart." => "You're so stupid that your chicks fly into dridder webs!" (Anyone got a better idea for this one?)
"You aren't very good at flying." => "Clean off your scales, they're muddy." (IE: implying that they're a ground-bound naga.)

And a compliment?
"You have pretty eyes." => "The only part of you that doesn't fill me with revulsion is your eyes."

Last edited by Oldman40k2003 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated line because DeviantDiscordian's suggestion is better.)
Back to top Go down
DeviantDiscordian
Hero
Hero
DeviantDiscordian

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 8:15 am

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
Her, with tears of happiness in her eyes: "Sweetie, that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!"
It would probably be closer to: "Well at least you can make an okay fucking compliment".

You have to remember, Harpies are like the ultimate tsundere.
Back to top Go down
http://one---winged---angel.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 1:19 pm

lol
yeah, arguing is like their way of life XD
Back to top Go down
world_slayer
Naga food
world_slayer

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Is there going to be a prey edition with auto translation and audio?

On a serious note writing "good" harpy speech is seriously frustrating. This should make many peoples lives easier and get some more harpy characters out there.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 7:19 pm

world_slayer wrote:
Is there going to be a prey edition with auto translation and audio?

On a serious note writing "good" harpy speech is seriously frustrating. This should make many peoples lives easier and get some more harpy characters out there.

I certainly hope that it will be helpful; that was the entire purpose of making it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm

Haha... We could put together a series of important phrases in Harpy for those heading to Felarya.

"Where am I?" --> "Where in the goddam nine hells is this pathetic pukebucket place?"

"Please don't eat me!" --> "I'd hold off there - you're fat enough as is, lard-feathers."

"I am lost" --> "Looking at your ugly mug has screwed my brain beyond directions"

"I can offer you food" --> "Hey, sagtits, I think I can help your ugly stick frame."

"Have you seen others like me?" --> "Hey, has your plant mush grey matter got any memory of guys like me?"
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 11:11 pm

From another thread:

Zoekin wrote:
^_^

I'm sorry but when I read this I had an image of how a highly-territorial flock of Harpies would react to a helicoptor gunship thumping along in their airspace.

Harpy-"GAH! That blender-winged, foul-farting, bug-eyed, naked ape packed bug-thing is back!"
(trans-"Look here Sisters-it's the Huey!")
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 10:00 am

I was just wondering.

What do actual harpy insults sound like? If they really want to actually burn you bad?
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 am

its probably a compliment (or what sounds like one to us)
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 am

So like...

Harpy Speak: Oh wow, your flying abilities are incredibly superb!

Translation: HEY! Feather brains, watch where you're going! You almost killed me!!!
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 11:27 am

Laughing
Back to top Go down
NovusWolf
Marauder of the deep jungle
NovusWolf

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:28 pm

So, um...here's one I had earlier.

Nice English:

"Have you seen my *insert object here*?"

Harpy:

"You stole my *insert object here*, didn't you?"
Back to top Go down
http://deadplanet.forumotion.net
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:33 pm

NovusWolf wrote:

Nice English:

Harpy:

Eh, that seems more plain accusing than general insulting.
Back to top Go down
NovusWolf
NovusWolf

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:49 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
NovusWolf wrote:

Nice English:

Harpy:

Eh, that seems more plain accusing than general insulting.

Eh, it was worth a try. I'm not very good at this. Especially as i'm trying to keep it a bit PC rather than conjour up a Cluster F Bomb.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:53 pm

NovusWolf wrote:
Eh, it was worth a try. I'm not very good at this. Especially as i'm trying to keep it a bit PC rather than conjour up a Cluster F Bomb.

Ah yep, their slang is pretty tricky. Seeing how fluid Karbo had it appear in the manga, I feel that my suggestions were overly... Flowery?

And heh, F-bombs would just be lazy. : P
Back to top Go down
NovusWolf
NovusWolf

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
NovusWolf wrote:

Ah yep, their slang is pretty tricky. Seeing how fluid Karbo had it appear in the manga, I feel that my suggestions were overly... Flowery?

And heh, F-bombs would just be lazy. : P

More a case of we all know how Harpy syntax really sounds, but you have to draw a line somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Harpy Phrasebook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Harpy Phrasebook
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next