Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Harpy Phrasebook

Go down 
+16
MrNobody13
TheLightLost
Anime-Junkie
PrinnyDood
VenomX3000
NovusWolf
AisuKaiko
Jætte_Troll
world_slayer
DeviantDiscordian
Reptillian
xlrp
/Fish/
Archmage_Bael
Karbo
Oldman40k2003
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
VenomX3000
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 8:12 am

here's somethin fun for everyone. try to translate (i'll try to add in as well)

"Hello, there young gentleman. As I need to increase the population of my species, I wish to make love to you. Would you do me the honor?"

Have fun hahaha
Back to top Go down
http://venomx3000.deviantart.com/
PrinnyDood
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
PrinnyDood

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 2:44 pm

VenomX3000 wrote:
here's somethin fun for everyone. try to translate (i'll try to add in as well)

"Hello, there young gentleman. As I need to increase the population of my species, I wish to make love to you. Would you do me the honor?"

Have fun hahaha
Done!

"I'm going to [Censured] your [Censured] with a [Censured] [Censured] [Censured], until my [Censured] [Censured]'s your [Censured] [Censured] [Censured]! Then, [Censured] [Censured] your [Censured], with a lawn gnome that [Censured] [Censured] my heaving [Censured] until you [Censured] your [Censured] off! And if you resist, I'll [Censured] [Censured] your [Censured] until it bleeds [Censured]!"

Or more likely: "Oi, ugly, heads up!" *glomp*

That was amusing and silly. lol!

Jætte_Troll wrote:
I was just wondering.

What do actual harpy insults sound like? If they really want to actually burn you bad?
Actually, I've been giving harpy vocabulary a bit of thought lately, and I think it would be weirdly fitting if the whole concept of insults was alien to their culture. Like, it's literally impossible to insult a harpy, because she'll just never get it. She may not like what you're saying, but doesn't understand the concept of saying it *just* to upset her. Alternatively, given their penchant for subtle inflection and intonation, maybe harpy insults aren't about what's actually *said*, but *how* it's said. So someone not versed in harpy culture simply can't tell the difference between an insulting sentence and a polite one.

Now what I'd really like to know about, if it even exists, is harpy sarcasm. Can you imagine? Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://prinnydood-abides.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 5:58 am

That's an interesting and fun idea Laughing
Maybe harpies are just the most polite race in the universe XD
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 4:31 pm

PrinnyDood wrote:
Actually, I've been giving harpy vocabulary a bit of thought lately, and I think it would be weirdly fitting if the whole concept of insults was alien to their culture. Like, it's literally impossible to insult a harpy, because she'll just never get it. She may not like what you're saying, but doesn't understand the concept of saying it *just* to upset her. Alternatively, given their penchant for subtle inflection and intonation, maybe harpy insults aren't about what's actually *said*, but *how* it's said. So someone not versed in harpy culture simply can't tell the difference between an insulting sentence and a polite one.

That's a really good point actually. Understanding their culture is difficult to think of because it's probably based on insults and intonations.

PrinnyDood wrote:
Now what I'd really like to know about, if it even exists, is harpy sarcasm. Can you imagine?

I...uh...what? My head hurts all of a sudden... >_<
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 6:00 pm

PrinnyDood wrote:

Now what I'd really like to know about, if it even exists, is harpy sarcasm. Can you imagine? Laughing
Congratulations, you have successfully caused my brain to melt down. However I have now recovered and there seem to be no residual effects.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 7:31 am

I agree that Harpies are probably the most polite race in the universe. They actually have no insults in their vocabulary and its not in their nature to use words to fight their battles. We wouldn't know it by listening to them though
: )

"Hey you son of a bird crap eating pigeon, your ugly mug is making me sick and if you don't fix it I'm gonna puke all over you! I bet your stinky little spawn would be even bigger crimes against nature!"

Translation:
"Oh my gosh, I have to tell you how handsome you are. You make me feel all wierd inside, I can't take it. Please let me bear your children!" ; )
Back to top Go down
MrNobody13
Great warrior
Great warrior
MrNobody13

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 am

I have a harpy character of my own, Jab, and she's got a heck of a creative streak when it comes to "politeness". Heres a few phrases of her's.

"Hey, jerkface, got a minute to run your stupid big mouth before I rip it off?"
(Could I talk to you for a moment?)

"Oi, moron, you gonna eat the little midge or stare at it and starve like the idiot you are?
(You going to eat that?)

"You're such a blob of lard that people could take you for a water-bed."
(You make a nice pillow)

"Your face makes me want to scratch out my own eyes, you ugly pug-mug."
(I'm glad to see you)

These are some of her "casual" phrases, which she uses for friends and other preds. Put her with another harpy and your ears will melt in short order. Wink
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 9:13 am

Its odd, I have three Harpies as key characters and I haven't put much thought into their favorite phrases.

I like the one you made about her clawing her own eyes out.

How about, "Did you just wake up? Cause it looks like you fell out of a tree and hit the ground face first. And that breath of yours could kill a dung beetle!"

Translation, "Good morning!"
Back to top Go down
Kelanich
Tasty morsel
Kelanich

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 11:24 am

*Read the whole topic*

Sure Harpy's language is quite hard enoughh... >_<

I have one idea about Harpy.
I'm planning to write a "funny" moment when Harpy tries to talk with a "non-harpy", and "he" understond her wrong and they'll start to arguing with each other, like "You fat feather-ball!" or "Useless peace of junk!"

Is that a good idea?
Back to top Go down
http://kelanich.deviantart.com/
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:37 am

( An observed conversation recorded by a famed biologist. )

"Why haven't you croaked yet, you filthy slut?"
= "Happy birthday mom!"

"What's it to ya?"
= "Oh sweetie, you remembered!"

"Either God has a terrible sense of humor or there isn't a creature in this world that can stomach the thought of eating your rotten smelling carcass."
= "It's good to see you again. I'm glad you're doing well."

"I've been having nightmares about your ugly mug."
= "I've missed you so."

"Why don't ya bring your **** pleasers over here so I can rip 'em off!"
= "How about a kiss!"

"I'm sure I won't be the last person today to tell you how much of a whore you've become."
= "I can't believe how much you've grown. No one's going to recognize you."

"It's not like I give a inu's ass about what you think."
= "Thanks. You're too kind."

"Well, don't wear out your welcome."
= "Get settled in and stay for a while."

"Pfft. I got better things to do than stick around you losers and fight the urge to kill myself anyway."
= "I really wish I could but I have to fly."

"Fine. Get lost you sorry *** trap!"
= "Aww. I'm sorry to see you go so soon."

"**** off!"
= "Bye!"

"Go to Hell!"
= "Take care!"

( That was all the man recorded that day. He wasn't entirely sure what to make of the exchange though. He could only speculate on what was really being said. He does note before turning the page on this particular study that when not trying to actually insult a harpy, it's best to err on the safe side and avoid the use of the word "sphinx" completely. Hopefully, the man will turn up some day, alive and well. )

Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 11:39 am

How would you say "Get well soon"?

Would it be along the lines of "Don't let your feathered *** get ****ed to **** yet, ya tramp."?
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:08 pm

I know that this has been brought up before, but... Do harpies even have curse-words in their language?
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
How would you say "Get well soon"?

Would it be along the lines of "Don't let your feathered *** get ****ed to **** yet, ya tramp."?

Hmmm. I got no idea. Let's try, "How long do you plan on hanging around here whining like a lil' chick? GET OVER IT ALREADY!"

FalconJudge wrote:
I know that this has been brought up before, but... Do harpies even have curse-words in their language?

During the last few months of trying to get into the heads of harpies, my thoughts on this have changed. I now think they share the same curse words we use only they're much less taboo to harpies. Why does a curse word have to be forbidden anyway?

IMO, they could always string together a bunch of curse words and shock the hell out of someone who isn't used to hearing them, but more important than the words they use is the meaning behind them. Dropping F-bombs doesn't necessarily change/enhance what's being said. If anything, overuse of certain words would probably make a harpy look lazy and/or limited vocabulary wise, me thinks.

But of course, that's just my current opinion. Who knows how my views might change down the road?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 1:44 pm

gt500x wrote:

IMO, they could always string together a bunch of curse words and shock the hell out of someone who isn't used to hearing them, but more important than the words they use is the meaning behind them. Dropping F-bombs doesn't necessarily change/enhance what's being said. If anything, overuse of certain words would probably make a harpy look lazy and/or limited vocabulary wise, me thinks.

But of course, that's just my current opinion. Who knows how my views might change down the road?

Wouldn't it be interesting if Harpy culture was dependent on the vocabulary based on this idea of yours? The wider range of interesting phrases and ability to make interesting phrases could determine the leader more than strength alone. XD

A Harpy's word is law. Right? XD
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 2:11 pm

The most "powerful" harpy that I've ever come up with is Ourana and she hardly uses any curse words at all, so there might be something to that. o.o
Back to top Go down
brothejr
Naga food
brothejr

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 4:12 am

What if a harpy really hated someone. How would their insults change?

Here's a thought: if they insult people they are trying to be friendly with, would they stop insulting when they're really pissed? Or maybe the insults get far darker and meaner?

Simple scenario: a harpy and sphinx are flying in different directions in the sky when the harpy decides to veer over to the sphinx to yell at them. What do you think the harpy would say. (Obviously the sphinx would get rather pissed and offended.)
Back to top Go down
http://brothejr.deviantart.com/
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 4:59 am

Well, I think a Sphinx would take offense to such crude language anyway. Amongst other harpies, I imagine it depends on how it's said. There might be more seriousness in their tone. I dunno. They call always drop the Sphinx-bomb for good measure. xP
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Well, all languages have tone. If a harpy really hated someone, their tone would probably change, and then you'd be able to tell. Just like how the same phrase in Japanese can have two totally different meanings based on how you say it.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 4:06 pm

I may just be inexperienced since I only just made my own harpy a little while ago, but if their tradition is coming up with creative insults to show each other respect, then I imagine if they wanted to really get to each other, they would stop using insults talking to the other, as a way of telling them that they don't think highly enough of them to waste the effort.
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harpy Phrasebook   Harpy Phrasebook - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Harpy Phrasebook
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2