Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Effion Fairies (redone)

Go down 
+2
13yearoldgamer
SuperPieGuy9
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Which should be the new Anti Fairy name (read description before voting)?
Effion
Effion Fairies (redone) Vote_lcap67%Effion Fairies (redone) Vote_rcap
 67% [ 6 ]
Mitini
Effion Fairies (redone) Vote_lcap11%Effion Fairies (redone) Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Thyfer
Effion Fairies (redone) Vote_lcap22%Effion Fairies (redone) Vote_rcap
 22% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

Effion Fairies (redone) Empty
PostSubject: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Okay so recently I was playing A Link to the Past and ran into anti fairies (an enemy) and wondered 'what if there were Felaryan Anti Fairies?' and thus I started thinking. With help from some friends in the Chatbox I created my new sub species. So I think I'll cover their personality first.

EDIT: The new name has been decided and now the name for Anti Fairies is Effion Fairy. Credit goes to Archmage_Bael for the creation of the name.

EDIT II: I took Fish's advice and redesigned the Effion Fairy. Behold them!

Origins/Habitat

One of the more noteable features about Effion Fairies are actually not even native to Felarya. They are originally from another, mysterious, apparently even more dangerous world than Felarya, but that is only what some Effions have claimed. However if this is true, then it may explain why they generally don't trust people at first, if at all.

They live just about everywhere in Felarya, except some places such as the open sea, Akaptor Desert, Imoreth Tundra, and a few other places where the climate is extreme, or where it would be difficult for land/sky beings to live.

Physical Features

Another odd feature of the Effion Fairy is that there is no record at all of an Effion being able to size shift like other native fairies. Most scientists agree that a certain genome in Effion Fairies prevents them from doing so, but this theory is still widely debated since nobody has managed to get close enough to even take a look at the genes.

Another thing is that they actually are rather powerful spellcasters by nature and some even come out of the womb casting deadly spells however their magical stamina is very poor and they tend to save magic for times of dire need.

They also are human sized but their size does not mean that they are easy prey; in fact trying to prey upon an Effion is the last thing you'd want to do since Effions are actually practically tanks. They on average, have very well toned muscles and can easily pick up something the size of a small car by themselves! Obviously this would mean that even if a giant predator manages to swallow an Effion, they much just punch and kick their way out.

Also they are rather quick when it comes to flying too and this only increases how deadly they can be, since speed+strength=massive injuries.

Feeding Habits

Effion Fairies, as can be expected of native fairies, enjoy eating live prey but due to their lack of size shifting abilities their options are rather limited. Nobody knows quite why, but when they swallow live prey, they act almost as though they were exacting revenge and tend try to keep their prey alive as long as possible while they stuggle inside.

Generally their diets consist of meat and virtually anything they can kill/swallow whole is going to end up in their belly. This includes nekos, humans, elves, tomthumbs, neeras, and even their own kind! However, when the hunt is poor, they will resort to foraging for fruits and berries.

They also are eating machines! One Effion could wipe out an entire village of tinies and still be hungry! Nobody is quite sure why, but the scientists theorize that in order to maintain their magical might they must eat quite a lot.

Personality and Mentality

Generally, Effion Fairies are not as pleasure obsesses as other native fairies are and only do what they do out of necessity.

Also for some reason, Effion Fairies are rather distrusting and violent towards just about everything that moves. Scientists theorize that the origin world of Effion Fairies was rather violent and thus they developed that mentality as a defensive mechanism.

Also they enjoy challenges and especially enjoy when their prey try to fight back.

They are also rather clever and have a reputation for making grade A weapons and tools as well as scavenging them.

Another thing is that they are very seclusive and only interact with other beings when A) feeding B) mating or C) raising their young.

Family Life

Effion Fairy families generally consist of two members; the mother and the young. Basically when a male Effion Fairy mates with a female the male takes off and leaves the female to herself which actually they both agree on since generally they mate out of necesssity to pass down their genes rather than to enjoy each other and raise a family together. It is for this reason that the Effion Fairy mother raises the young.

Effion Fairies generally raise their young sweetly and tenderly while the mother teaches them the basic necessities of living which include mating, hunting, scavenging for weapons and tools, creating weapons, and using weapons.

Effion Fairies are also taught very early on in their lives not to trust anybody except themselves.

After about ten years of teaching, the mother takes off to leave her kid to fend for his/herself.

Last edited by SuperPieGuy9 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
13yearoldgamer
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 5:07 pm

This is a really cool idea!
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 3:42 pm

well before dealing with the details of your post, i suggest making a name that seems more natural to felarya than "anti-fairy"

malferie? negative fairy? they could refer to themselves in a certain way, like their isolationists, maybe they think themselves as better than the other fairies. So they could have two names, maybe they call themselves "high fairies" (like high elves) and maybe the other fairies (and races for that matter) refer to them as "vanities" as a sort of way to make fun of them. also their relationships with other fairies wouldn't be so good, too. since fairies dont generally eat each other or even think about it for that matter.
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
well before dealing with the details of your post, i suggest making a name that seems more natural to felarya than "anti-fairy"

malferie? negative fairy? they could refer to themselves in a certain way, like their isolationists, maybe they think themselves as better than the other fairies. So they could have two names, maybe they call themselves "high fairies" (like high elves) and maybe the other fairies (and races for that matter) refer to them as "vanities" as a sort of way to make fun of them. also their relationships with other fairies wouldn't be so good, too. since fairies dont generally eat each other or even think about it for that matter.

Yeah I guess you're right. But that's why I said for you to make contributions. So I shall ponder them for a moment... *he ponders names*

I think I'll let others make suggestions on the name for now and decide amongst them seeing as I'm usually no good with names. But I think Vanities is a good contender right now.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 7:10 pm

I'll try and find some useable names for you

-Lilim (daughters of Lilith. Identified with succubi, but I guess it could possibly work)
-Pixie (Something similar to fairies. I'd think they are similar.)

If I can think of more, but I'm at a loss for now T___T
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 8:47 pm

AisuKaiko wrote:

-Lilim (daughters of Lilith. Identified with succubi, but I guess it could possibly work)

Some suggestions from my thesaurus on alternatives to "fairy", ones that aren't already taken (as far as I can recall): brownie, jinni, kelpie, naiad, pixie, pooka, puck, selkie, sprite, sylph.

From my dictionary, on "fey", one of the base words it comes from is "fegi".

From my Latin dictionary, on "fariy": nympha, dryas, dryadis

From my Latin dictionary, on "hermit" (because you say that they have a hermit like nature): eremita.

My suggestion would be to mix and match sections of these words... like say "fegremita", "iadpie", or "mitixe" (kinda rhymes with pixie, now that I think about it).
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
AisuKaiko wrote:

Some suggestions from my thesaurus on alternatives to "fairy", ones that aren't already taken (as far as I can recall): brownie, jinni, kelpie, naiad, pixie, pooka, puck, selkie, sprite, sylph.

From my dictionary, on "fey", one of the base words it comes from is "fegi".

From my Latin dictionary, on "fariy": nympha, dryas, dryadis

From my Latin dictionary, on "hermit" (because you say that they have a hermit like nature): eremita.

My suggestion would be to mix and match sections of these words... like say "fegremita", "iadpie", or "mitixe" (kinda rhymes with pixie, now that I think about it).

Hrmm... uh Feymita? Frownie? Felkie? Fight! Yeah! Wait no. Oh! Mitini! Get it? Jinni? Eremita? Mitini! Okay so now it's down to Mitini and Vanities. I'll let you guys keep posting ideas of names for now and then put up a poll of the three best names and let people decide amongst them.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 12:22 am

Effions is a cool name. just came to me. Effion fairies XD
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:43 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Effions is a cool name. just came to me. Effion fairies XD

Hmm... Effion Fairies... I like it...
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:44 am

Effion sounds good. Seems to have a Felarya ring to it.
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 3:52 pm

Or Fianni
Anagasi
Thyfer

...I can keep dishin out names here XD I'm on a roll! :3

mara: Is that an egg roll? I love egg rolls, or are you the roll? *GULP*
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Okay I think it would be best to cut off name suggestions now. So I'll decide the three best above names and put up a poll for it.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 9:10 pm

glad you could stop me before i kept going XDDD
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 8:19 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
glad you could stop me before i kept going XDDD

Yeah I thought it would be best to stop the suggestions now because I think it'd be pretty hard to decide the three best names if there were thirty great ones.

So far it looks like Effion is winning unanimously (I voted mitini so I could keep track of the results easier).
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 4:43 pm

its your fault!! ^_^
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 3:02 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
its your fault!! ^_^

Um... I don't quite know why it's my fault... or what I did... care to explain to this slow guy?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 1:49 pm

and here I thought you liked jokes! ^^
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 1:05 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
and here I thought you liked jokes! ^^

I do! But I didn't know it was supposed to be a joke!

Anyways poll update:
Effion is still winning with four votes
Thyfer is in second place with 2 votes
Mitini is in dead last with zero votes.
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 8:26 am

UPDATE: The new name has been decided. Effion Fairy is now the official name of this fairy subspecies. And by the way I edited the front info page a little bit. Credit goes to Archmage_Bael for the creation of the name Effion Fairy.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 4:59 pm

thanks. sounds nice Smile
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:59 pm

I hadn't really taken a look at this yet, and it seems that no one's actually done some criticism of them, instead it looks like you've have been discussing the name, which is virtually the least important aspect of development. Let's see what you have here.

SuperPieGuy9 wrote:
Okay so recently I was playing A Link to the Past and ran into anti fairies (an enemy) and wondered 'what if there were Felaryan Anti Fairies?' and thus I started thinking. With help from some friends in the Chatbox I created my new sub species. So I think I'll cover their personality first.

EDIT: The new name has been decided and now the name for Anti Fairies is Effion Fairy. Credit goes to Archmage_Bael for the creation of the name.

Personality

Effion Fairies are seclusive by nature. They don't interact much with other species (unless of course they're feeding) especially their own kind. However I see a few exceptions to this.

They're also somewhat rude like a harpy but to a much lesser extent due to their hermit like nature. I also see exceptions to this.

Also unlike most 'normal' fairies they're pretty serious and not so much obsessed with enjoyable things. Again there are exceptions to this.

Most of them think of themselves as better than other races which leads to their isolationist nature.

Since you directly compared them, it sounds like you just picked a trait of harpies. They also sound like elves.

Quote :
Physical Traits and Habits

Okay so the most notable thing about my Effion Fairies is that they can't change they're size at all.

Then they aren't a Felaryan fairy type, and must be some offworld fairy.

Quote :
They're usually born at 'human' size and may grow (or shrink) within one of three size ranges.

The most common adult size of an anti fairy is the 'human' size in which they are within the general human size range.

The second most common is the giant size range in which they grow to the size range of other giant Felaryan species such as nagas.

The least common of these size ranges is the 'tiny' size range in which an Effion Fairy shrinks from the time of birth to the general size of a Felaryan Tiny. I'll explain why they're so rare later in this post.

Dividing populations into essentially three seperate 'species'... Doesn't seem beneficial at all, if at least two of those cannot reproduce together. A real reason for this?

Quote :
They're also rather fierce fighters. And the smaller the specimen the more violent and fierce they are. I'll explain this later in the post.

Effion Fairies are very territorial due to their seclusive nature and often, an Effion Fairies will clash with another being over territory. Though they often decide this through size (like for instance a human sized Effion Fairy clashes with a giant size Effion Fairy over territory, the giant Effion Fairy will automatically get the territory or something like that).

Sounds like they're born into some biological hierarchy. This makes sense for bug-based hybrids that live in a colony, such as the ariformids. These don't have such a justification, since they stay the hell away from one another.

Quote :
However often the larger Effion Fairy might just eat the smaller one if they're hungry/hunting. And very rarely the smaller Effion Fairy might try to stand his/her ground and this usually results in the challenging Effion Fairy being digested inside the larger one's stomach with some even rarer exceptions. When they are the same size they will obviously fight over it and sometimes one Effion Fairy will die trying to claim the territory and be enjoyed by the victorious Effion Fairy.

... Okay, so what you're saying here is that they're highly cannibalistic and the smaller ones are dumb enough to challenge a larger ones, knowing full well that is an extremely dangerous thing to do, since they are the same species.

Quote :
Diet

As one could expect of a fairy, Effion Fairies often eat their prey whole and alive however human and tiny size fairies aren't always able to do this unlike their giant specimens.

They will eat just about anything they can kill (or fit in their mouths) such as tinies, eggs, duikeer, and so on and so forth.

They also, when the hunt is poor, will resort to foraging for berries and fruit.

Now there's a realistic behavior, one we don't see depicted too often among predators. Fairly obvious however.

Quote :
The most notable thing about an Effion Fairy's diet is that they are actually cannibilistic. Now they often don't just resort to it as an extreme like most races but some will, if they find another Effion Fairy, kill it if they are the same size and enjoy the feast or if the anti fairy hunter is big enough, will swallow them alive.

This whole cannibalistic thing you have here. I don't understand it. Seriously, explain this shit.

Quote :
Effion Fairies often eat their young if they shrink which results in the rarity of the tiny variety of Effion Fairy.

What the fuck.

Quote :
The mother/father often does this because they believe that they'll be eaten anyways and figure they ought to just save them the misery of it happening with another Effion Fairy/predator who may torture them. They often do so in their sleep so that they die peacefully.

Again, what the fuck.

Quote :
Their cannibilistic nature is part of the reason why Effion Fairies tend to ignore/avoid each other. It is also why the smaller specimens of Effion Fairies are more volatile and fierce than the larger ones because this is a defense mechanism of sorts.

Ooooooookay then.

Quote :
Habitat

Forest of Whispers

Combat

Often when Effion Fairies fight they will not use magic but rather hand to hand combat. They are generally very skilled and some human size specimens have even been known to use weapons to aid them such as swords, bows, spears, and the like. However these weapons often come from human prey.

This seems to imply that they have some sort of culture of scavenging weapons and training to use them.

Quote :
If their hand to hand combat fails (though this is very rare) then they may resort to magic. Now the reason they only use magic in a worst case scenario is because they don't like over exerting themselves.

Again this makes them far from how Felaryan fairies use magic. Felaryan fairies use magic with little exertion. Thus you might as well completely cut these off from native Felaryan fairy relation I'd recommend.

Quote :
Reproduction & Family Life

Yes even Effion Fairy reproduction is different. Now there are two ways for anti fairies to reproduce. One is the 'traditional way' between two of the same sized anti fairies.

The second is with the female Effion Fairy being larger than the male. The female will eat the male. The male obviously dies but for some reason his DNA survives and impregnates the female (I got the idea from praying mantises who eat their mates).

You fail biology forever.

This design really seems unnecessarily cruel. Seems like their entire existence is based on luck at birth, and fear of one another throughout their lives.

Also we have mantoids, they portray the 'lol cannibal bugs' thing in a somewhat realistic manner because they're based on the actual bug.

Quote :
And sometimes if a giant Effion Fairy eats a male of her species she may get pregnant and not even know it. When she gives birth the baby will bbe the size of a tiny that can take care of him/her self in this case.

Wat

Quote :
Now the father of an Effion Fairy is never around whether they gave their life for their mate or not, and it is unlikely that an Effion Fairy child will ever meet his/her father. It is due to this that the Effion Fairy mother raises a child.

Or eats it.

Quote :
An Effion Fairy mother usually does so for around ten years and then she takes off.

Great mum.

Quote :
[
Relations with other Races

Generally most races see Effion Fairies as just another predator that should be avoided

I see them as a race of psychopathic cannibals.

Quote :
but other fairies happen to have a deep hatred of them.

I'm starting to as well.

Quote :
Similar to the relation between Nagas and Dridders Effion Fairies and other fairies instinctively hate each other.

lol

NO.

Anything between nagas and dridders is a learned behavior. Otherwise they would have no clue about any sort of rivalry between their races as with any other thing they might encounter.

Quote :
Effion Fairies hate other 'normal' fairies because they're so carefree while other fairies hate Effions because they're usually so serious. Effions usually hate other fairies because of their social nature and other fairies hate Effions for their isolationist nature.

You're serious? They have a hatred of people being together when they're not? Because they have a tendency to murder one another more? Way to be some insane grinches.

I suggest you really think about what the purpose of these are. We have 'anti-fairies, they're called insects. These barely exhibit any traits of Felaryan fairies, though they seem some like classical faeries from certain mythologies, sounding pretty nasty to deal with. I suggest reworking this without native 'Felaryan fairy' design in mind and see how it goes, since they already seem very far-removed from them.
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 6:36 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
SuperPieGuy9 wrote:

Personality

Effion Fairies are seclusive by nature. They don't interact much with other species (unless of course they're feeding) especially their own kind. However I see a few exceptions to this.

They're also somewhat rude like a harpy but to a much lesser extent due to their hermit like nature. I also see exceptions to this.

Also unlike most 'normal' fairies they're pretty serious and not so much obsessed with enjoyable things. Again there are exceptions to this.

Most of them think of themselves as better than other races which leads to their isolationist nature.

Since you directly compared them, it sounds like you just picked a trait of harpies. They also sound like elves.

Well I didn't just pick a trait of harpies. I figured that generally since they don't have much of any social contact they'd come off as kinda rude right?

Quote :
Physical Traits and Habits

Okay so the most notable thing about my Effion Fairies is that they can't change they're size at all.

/Fish/ wrote:
Then they aren't a Felaryan fairy type, and must be some offworld fairy.

Hmm... yeah I guess that would be. Basically what I was trying to go for is to make them the complete opposite of normal Felaryan Fairies.

Quote :
They're usually born at 'human' size and may grow (or shrink) within one of three size ranges.

The most common adult size of an anti fairy is the 'human' size in which they are within the general human size range.

The second most common is the giant size range in which they grow to the size range of other giant Felaryan species such as nagas.

The least common of these size ranges is the 'tiny' size range in which an Effion Fairy shrinks from the time of birth to the general size of a Felaryan Tiny. I'll explain why they're so rare later in this post.

/Fish/ wrote:
Dividing populations into essentially three seperate 'species'... Doesn't seem beneficial at all, if at least two of those cannot reproduce together. A real reason for this?

Well I just wanted to be creative.

Quote :
They're also rather fierce fighters. And the smaller the specimen the more violent and fierce they are. I'll explain this later in the post.

Effion Fairies are very territorial due to their seclusive nature and often, an Effion Fairies will clash with another being over territory. Though they often decide this through size (like for instance a human sized Effion Fairy clashes with a giant size Effion Fairy over territory, the giant Effion Fairy will automatically get the territory or something like that).

/Fish/ wrote:
Sounds like they're born into some biological hierarchy. This makes sense for bug-based hybrids that live in a colony, such as the ariformids. These don't have such a justification, since they stay the hell away from one another.

Actually they aren't. They just like their space and will fight for it or if they know they won't win they'll just run.

Quote :
However often the larger Effion Fairy might just eat the smaller one if they're hungry/hunting. And very rarely the smaller Effion Fairy might try to stand his/her ground and this usually results in the challenging Effion Fairy being digested inside the larger one's stomach with some even rarer exceptions. When they are the same size they will obviously fight over it and sometimes one Effion Fairy will die trying to claim the territory and be enjoyed by the victorious Effion Fairy.

/Fish/ wrote:
... Okay, so what you're saying here is that they're highly cannibalistic and the smaller ones are dumb enough to challenge a larger ones, knowing full well that is an extremely dangerous thing to do, since they are the same species.

Not necessarily. Basically just some of the more cocky ones might do it and it might pay off or it might cost them their life.

Quote :
Diet

As one could expect of a fairy, Effion Fairies often eat their prey whole and alive however human and tiny size fairies aren't always able to do this unlike their giant specimens.

They will eat just about anything they can kill (or fit in their mouths) such as tinies, eggs, duikeer, and so on and so forth.

They also, when the hunt is poor, will resort to foraging for berries and fruit.

/Fish/ wrote:
Now there's a realistic behavior, one we don't see depicted too often among predators. Fairly obvious however.

Thanks I think.

Quote :
The most notable thing about an Effion Fairy's diet is that they are actually cannibilistic. Now they often don't just resort to it as an extreme like most races but some will, if they find another Effion Fairy, kill it if they are the same size and enjoy the feast or if the anti fairy hunter is big enough, will swallow them alive.

/Fish/ wrote:
This whole cannibalistic thing you have here. I don't understand it. Seriously, explain this shit.

Sheesh I just wanted to be creative. And really it's my first time doing this sort of thing.

Quote :
Effion Fairies often eat their young if they shrink which results in the rarity of the tiny variety of Effion Fairy.

Quote :
The mother/father often does this because they believe that they'll be eaten anyways and figure they ought to just save them the misery of it happening with another Effion Fairy/predator who may torture them. They often do so in their sleep so that they die peacefully.

/Fish/ wrote:
Again, what the fuck.

Is it really that bad? They do so because they doubt that the young one will survive and just put them out of their misery quick and painlessly.

Quote :
Their cannibilistic nature is part of the reason why Effion Fairies tend to ignore/avoid each other. It is also why the smaller specimens of Effion Fairies are more volatile and fierce than the larger ones because this is a defense mechanism of sorts.

/Fish/ wrote:
Ooooooookay then.

Well think about it. Would you try to stay away from fierce cannibles? Yes I'm pretty sure you would.

Quote :
Habitat

Forest of Whispers

Combat

Often when Effion Fairies fight they will not use magic but rather hand to hand combat. They are generally very skilled and some human size specimens have even been known to use weapons to aid them such as swords, bows, spears, and the like. However these weapons often come from human prey.

/Fish/ wrote:
This seems to imply that they have some sort of culture of scavenging weapons and training to use them.

I guess it does. I might have to elaborate on that.

Quote :
If their hand to hand combat fails (though this is very rare) then they may resort to magic. Now the reason they only use magic in a worst case scenario is because they don't like over exerting themselves.

/Fish/ wrote:
Again this makes them far from how Felaryan fairies use magic. Felaryan fairies use magic with little exertion. Thus you might as well completely cut these off from native Felaryan fairy relation I'd recommend.

You can consider that done.

Quote :
Reproduction & Family Life

Yes even Effion Fairy reproduction is different. Now there are two ways for anti fairies to reproduce. One is the 'traditional way' between two of the same sized anti fairies.

The second is with the female Effion Fairy being larger than the male. The female will eat the male. The male obviously dies but for some reason his DNA survives and impregnates the female (I got the idea from praying mantises who eat their mates).

/Fish/ wrote:
You fail biology forever.

This design really seems unnecessarily cruel. Seems like their entire existence is based on luck at birth, and fear of one another throughout their lives.

Also we have mantoids, they portray the 'lol cannibal bugs' thing in a somewhat realistic manner because they're based on the actual bug.

Okay yeah now that I think about it I remember some kinda fish where males get absorbed into the females when they mate and I was basing it off that as well...

Quote :
And sometimes if a giant Effion Fairy eats a male of her species she may get pregnant and not even know it. When she gives birth the baby will bbe the size of a tiny that can take care of him/her self in this case.

/Fish/ wrote:
Wat

Strange idea I know but again I was trying to be creative.

Quote :
Now the father of an Effion Fairy is never around whether they gave their life for their mate or not, and it is unlikely that an Effion Fairy child will ever meet his/her father. It is due to this that the Effion Fairy mother raises a child.

/Fish/ wrote:
Or eats it.

Mmm I guess it depends on how well they believe their child will last.

Quote :
An Effion Fairy mother usually does so for around ten years and then she takes off.

/Fish/ wrote:
Great mum.

Well part of my reason for making them this way was to make them seem more 'wild' like real animals we'd see here on Earth. After all in the life of a chipmunk your parents only take care of you for about a month and then they take off.

/Fish/ wrote:
I'm starting to as well.

Well then...

Quote :
Similar to the relation between Nagas and Dridders Effion Fairies and other fairies instinctively hate each other.

/Fish/ wrote:
lol

NO.

Anything between nagas and dridders is a learned behavior. Otherwise they would have no clue about any sort of rivalry between their races as with any other thing they might encounter.

Well who's to say it isn't a learned behavoir in this case too? I wasn't really aware of the fact that the Naga/Dridder relationship was learned.

Quote :
Effion Fairies hate other 'normal' fairies because they're so carefree while other fairies hate Effions because they're usually so serious. Effions usually hate other fairies because of their social nature and other fairies hate Effions for their isolationist nature.

/Fish/ wrote:
You're serious? They have a hatred of people being together when they're not? Because they have a tendency to murder one another more? Way to be some insane grinches.

Yeeeah I guess that wasn't my best idea. But that's why I left things open to creative critisism.

/Fish/ wrote:
I suggest you really think about what the purpose of these are. We have 'anti-fairies, they're called insects. These barely exhibit any traits of Felaryan fairies, though they seem some like classical faeries from certain mythologies, sounding pretty nasty to deal with. I suggest reworking this without native 'Felaryan fairy' design in mind and see how it goes, since they already seem very far-removed from them.

Indeed I shall.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 7:00 pm

um, i appreciate your quotes, but its kind of annoying to have to scroll through some uber long post like that >.< if everyone makes super massive posts, then it will take forever for me to scroll >.<
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:42 pm

I have redone the Effion Fairies. Please look at the new info in the first post of the thread.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 8:23 pm

There seems to be a lot less fluff in it now. I like them, even though they are rather seclusive. I expect the people they would trust most are family members. If you dont trust anyone that leads to paranoia, and a terrible social life
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Effion Fairies (redone)   Effion Fairies (redone) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Effion Fairies (redone)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next