Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Storm Elves

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Storm Elves Empty
PostSubject: Storm Elves   Storm Elves Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 8:43 pm

Something that has been floating around since I introduced a new character in my stories.

----

Storm Elves are a group of elves that originate in the Northern part of the Elifga Valley. Due to their more remote location, few are seen in Central Felarya. They tend to have fair skin and darker hair. All storm elves have purple eyes, raging from a deep indigo to a striking violet. Storm Elves have very refined features and enjoy taking care of their appearances.

Storm Elves can be found in human or giant sizes, though human is far more common. Storm Elves have a sex ratio skewed towards a female majority. As well, their males have a curious trait of becoming less elf-like when fully mature - they are more muscular and less agile, which the females find unattractive. For these reasons, Storm Elves often "convince" outsiders to mate with them.

In general, Storm Elves are far more organized and "cultured" than other Elves. They actually prefer to call themselves "High Elves" or "Pure Elves". They build small organized communities protected by magic spells and partake in beautifying it and collecting interesting artifacts and magical objects while partaking in the arts. Storm Elves have a very strong group mentality, where leaders are rarely questioned. Mavericks are seen as a serious danger to the community and are often exiled. This is also common punishment for even minor crimes.

Though they use magic for defense, the main deterrent from their communities is their giant counterparts. While many giant elves happily eat smaller ones, giant Storm Elves have the same feeling of community as their smaller cousins. They partake the role of defenders and warriors. These big elves are often called Thunder Elves.

Storm Elves get their name from their claim that they are descended from a mixture of elves and lightning elementals. In their mythology, there was once a mighty Storm Elf Empire, existing around the time of Ur-Sagol. Magical Electrical Energy powers much of their communities. However, currently they only exist in the North section of their Valley. There is a higher proficiency for lightening magic among Storm Elves, though it is not ubiquitous. What is common is that all Storm Elves are strangely absolutely immune to electrocution. They have very good control of their body - there are reports that Storm Elves can control their heart rate and force poisons from their body.

The reason for their remaining in this one section is due to the proliferation of their hated enemy in other parts of the Valley - the Jotun. Storm Elves despise these giants for many reasons. Firstly, Jotun absolutely LOVE the taste of elves, something the elves don't appreciate. Secondly, the Jotun are seen as "uncultured brutes" who break the elves constructions and ruin the environment. This is not helped by the fact that the tough and hard to defeat Jotun have a weakness to electricity - they see Storm Elves as a constant threat.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
timing2
timing2

Storm Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Elves   Storm Elves Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 7:13 pm

Hmm, Fulmina wouldn't happen to be one of those mavericks, would she?

Poor storm elf males - knowing that when they mature they'll no longer be found attractive. That might tend to make them quite hostile towards outsiders their females do find attractive.

That's an interesting heritage - I like the fact that it's a "claim" and may or may not be true. I'm guessing they wouldn't take kindly to people disputing it. It makes me wonder how they'd react to real lightning elementals (sentient ones, at any rate)?

Magical Electrical Energy powers much of their communities.
That's one place Rosalak will never be visiting. I can see him being "convinced" to stay once they discovered his shamanic powers. Talk about a good battery charger to have around. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://timing2.deviantart.com
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Storm Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Elves   Storm Elves Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Can you imagine Fulmina during her teenage years, actually living with them? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Storm Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Elves   Storm Elves Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 6:04 am

I made a race of Storm Elves. However, they were for my own world. Thought I'd throw that.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Storm Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Elves   Storm Elves Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 6:00 am

A nice description ^_^
And somehow it's easier now to picture why there is so much bad blood with the jotuns. They ae like complete opposites XD
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Storm Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Elves   Storm Elves Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Storm Elves
Page 1 of 1