Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Terra Elves

Go down 
+4
observer88
French snack
Jætte_Troll
Tuc135
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tuc135
Hero
Hero
Tuc135

Location : Chances are between someone's esophagus and duodenum

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:25 am

Terra Elves

When one thinks of elves, what usually comes to mind is the forest dwelling, arboreal village type. However, not all elves fit this stereotype. Some have acknowledged that the forests are the domain of the predators, and have ceased trying to live there altogether. In the distant past, a group of these elves abandoned the surface altogether, and took refuge deep within the caverns in the earth.

Terra elves are a subterranean breed of elf. Like other elves, they are tall and graceful, and they have the pointed ears and high cheekbones. However, a life of living underground has left its mark on them. Their skin is very light, often pale or pallid. Their hair is often pure white, though occasionally a light blond is seen in the less pale individuals. Their eyes have developed large pupils adept at seeing in the darkness, and often the whites of their eyes cannot be seen. They are not as slender as their forest dwelling kin.

The Terra elves build cities in the largest of the caverns in Felarya. Sometimes, if a group of elves is particularly poor, they carve dwellings into the bare rock by tunneling into the cavern walls. But more commonly, particularly in the wealthier communities, their dwellings are build into the sides of huge stone columns or massive stalactites. Their buildings are often close to the cavern roof, and are interconnected by a series of sturdy stone bridges. Invariably, rich or poor, the Terra elves will build their dwellings near a source of water, such as a underground river or pool. If none are available, they will make one by diverting a surface river underground or drilling until they hit a water table and start pumping it up. For food, Terra elves rely on a combination of farming mushrooms in plots on the river banks, and fishing from said rivers. They are skilled at raising fish and turtles in their rivers.

The Terra elves rely on a unique blend of magic and technology. Firstly, they are skilled metal workers and mechanics, having an ample supply of metal ore obtained in their mining. They can craft this metal into numerous different devices and tools, a particular favorite being their version of the steam engine. However, they have only recently begun implementing electricity. Owning electric lighting in one’s home is considered a luxury.

The Terra elves make up for this limited technology by their judicious use of magic. Their magic falls into two categories, stone based and rune based. Their stone magic allows them to shape stone, detect it’s alteration, or even create huge golems. This magic is often used to build their homes in the cavern ceilings. Their runic magic is more unique. By carving a particular symbol, the runes can absorb the healing energy of the soil of Felarya, and transmute it into a different type of energy. This can be a variety of effects, heat, light, ice, or strength to name a few.

The Terra elves are not afraid to mix magic and technology to accomplish a given task. For example, they are fond of using steam engines. However, since wood is often short supply in their caverns and the smoke from coal dissipates slowly, they often carve a rune of heat on the boiler in lieu of burning coal or wood. These runed steam engines prove to be very efficient, and are used for numerous tasks. Secondly, runes of strength are often carved on their bridges and dwellings to reduce the risk of collapse.

For self defense, the Terra elves rely on the same combination of magic and technology. Almost every elf knows how to use flintlock rifles, as the elves deadly skill with ranged weapons applies to more than just bows. Any cave dwelling predators (dridders are the most common) attempting to climb up to their villages can be met with a barrage of lead bullets. The bullets often have runes carved on them. While this might reduce their accuracy, it can be used to inflict nasty effects should the bullet hit, such as creating poison in the wound. If bullets aren’t enough, the elves have been known to employ primitive cannons.

Should both bullets and cannons fail, the Terra elves turn to their massive golems. They are carved from the most durable stone the elves can find, and are often as large as the predators themselves. These golems are not primitive hunks of rock that only resemble a man in passing. Rather, each golem is carved in loving, minute detail of heroes, rulers, or legends of old, recreated down to the smallest fold in clothing or strand of hair. Additionally, these golems are covered in a myriad of runes to increase their strength, durability, resistance, and speed. Seeing a massive stone elf covered in the glowing lines of runes is a fearsome sight. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you are a dridder) only the richest of the Terra elf civilizations can afford even one golem.

It is very uncommon to see Terra elves on the surface, for a few of reasons. Firstly, these elves can see very well even in the darkest of caves, yet they are blinded by sunlight. If they are in the sun, they must wear a blindfold, or special sets of dark crystal glasses. Secondly, their pale skin is equally vulnerable to the bright sun, and is irritated by sunlight, often turning red. Thirdly, Terra elves have often lived their whole lives covered by the cavern roof. The sight of an open, endless sky is unsettling and intimidating at best. At worst, it can cause a Terra elf to panic or break down. Those few Terra elves that do regularly brave the open often wear concealing cloaks with hoods and dark glasses, and they spend as little time out in the open as possible. This has contributed to a rather incorrect reputation of being secretive.

Terra elf goods are often highly valued by other communities. Their stonecrafting is unmatched, and their metal mechanisms are of the highest quality. Additionally they often trade in precious metals and gems, both raw and crafted. However, in turn, the terra elves frequently need to import goods such as cloth and wooden items. This need for trade has led the Terra elves to interact more with surface races, often meeting their merchants in the mouth of caves. This trading has caused the Terra elves to hold a higher opinion of other races, though not by much when compared to other elves.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:39 am

Oh goody, some snacks for the Lucicamp slug girls. Very Happy

Though, seriously, I like this idea. I'm glad that it's elves taking a position that a regular fantasy person would stick dwarves into. This is a much more Felaryan style race.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
French snack
French snack

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:42 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:

Though, seriously, I like this idea. I'm glad that it's elves taking a position that a regular fantasy person would stick dwarves into. This is a much more Felaryan style race.

I agree. They seem quite distinctive, and fit in nicely.
Back to top Go down
observer88
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
observer88

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:47 am

Elves with rifles... I thought I'd never see the day... Highly original reinterpretation of them and a welcome break from the stereotipical underground dwelling dark elves. *thumbs up*
Back to top Go down
http://observer88.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 7:44 am

Elves with Rifles and Cannons? Living underground? What's next, a community of Druid Dwarves? Gnomes with a sense of self-preservation? Orc Scholars?

Love the original idea. Also glad to see the use of Golems. However, unless they're in some very big caverns (or you're speaking some very small Predators), the height of them seems a bit much. Let alone the dangers of having a 60'+ critter running around in a cave system thrashing around with a similarly tall being of flesh and blood - one good body-slam away from a weaker section collapsing.
Back to top Go down
Tuc135
Hero
Hero
Tuc135

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 7:52 am

I was aiming for a magical steampunk sort of civilization. Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

As for the golems, they are largely a last resort. But I did intend for them to match the local subterranian predators in size, however big or small they may be. I did envision the elves colonizing caverns large enough to dwarf even the likes of dridders. Besides, these elves would probably reinforce their selected cavern.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 7:59 am

Fair enough. I love the Rune-magic system, it just reminds me of the Sarafan from Legacy of Kain. Perhaps something similar could be worked into the elves armor, runes that alert the wearer when a Predator is nearby (glowing seems like a poor choice in how to accomplish such, but instead something like a light rumble)?
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 8:36 am

Malahite wrote:
Orc Scholars?

With a group of friends, we used to do things like that during table-top role-playing games. Our favourite was a Gamorrean philosopher in the Star Wars universe. Laughing

Anyway... I like the fact that these elves make things (in an original manner, blending magic and technology). They're probably one of the most technologically non-human species in Felarya, then. Nagas seem not even to have reached a stone-age level of technology yet, while I don't think we've seen any particularly advanced nekos.

I also like your description of their avoidance of sunlight. I'm guessing it'll limit their potential use for interaction with other species in stories, though.
Back to top Go down
Tuc135
Hero
Hero
Tuc135

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 8:52 am

Quote :
I also like your description of their avoidance of sunlight. I'm guessing it'll limit their potential use for interaction with other species in stories, though.

It seemed to be the logical reaction of a subterranean race to the sun. However, these restrictions wouldn't keep them from going about at night, where their dark adapted vision would serve them well. (This also fits well I think, moving about on the surface only at night would also contribute to their secretive reputation.) Besides, there's always a few exceptions, there may be a few Terra elves who acclimate to surface life.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 8:57 am

From what I've seen of other's tech: Dridders are somewhere in the metal-forging area on general, Naxyla might be a bit more advanced (I cannot find the source where I recall them being well off), Crimson Maidens are at a similar area to regular Dridders - perhaps more advanced - and Neko's are rarely portrayed (like most factions) above Dark Ages tech.

So yeah, these Elves are probably the most developed non-humans on Felarya at the moment. Could see - if given time - them forming a "city" similar to Negav.
Back to top Go down
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 1:42 pm

I like this idea, and not only for the reason they happen to include my name in the title. lol
Back to top Go down
http://melancholy-melody.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Oh, nice to see this idea dug up. This was always one of my favourites. Hopefully more comes from it.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 1:21 am

An interesting species here Smile

I agree with others, I like how you imagined a race of subterrans elves without ressorting to the clasic drow approach. Great job ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 10:03 am

It does seem to fit niceley, however it still just feels like all you did was switch dwarves and elves around.
Back to top Go down
Tuc135
Hero
Hero
Tuc135

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 12:03 pm

Then you missed the feel I was going for with these elves, Bael. I imagine them to be a blend of industriousness and grace (at least underground). Their machines and tools are functional and efficient, yet works of art as well.

Plus, dwarves don't have a problem with the sun and the open sky. Most of these elves do.

Edit: now that you got me thinking about dwarves, I want to find some way to make an unusual brand of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Terra Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terra Elves   Terra Elves Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Terra Elves
Page 1 of 1