Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?

Go down 
+12
Malahite
AisuKaiko
Silent_eric
Archmage_Bael
rcs619
Oldman40k2003
Jætte_Troll
/Fish/
FalconJudge
Anime-Junkie
Pendragon
Raveolution
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 12:21 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
So basically, you want to turn Felarya into a few supah defended Negav-style islands, while the predators float around in between, not daring to eat anything that might not like it, for fear of breaking the "stalemate" the prey species have achieved.
No, I'm saying it is inevitable that the preds may have to either refrain from sentient prey, or watch their food supply dwindle to near-zero.

Sentient beings are not rabbits: they don't just keep wandering out into the jaws of unbeatable preds in their own natural habitat. They will either fight or GTFO.

Quote :
Felarya isn't a world with nations, or borders, or governments, which is the main issue here. It is a massive, dangerous frontier. Yes, there are attempts at "colonialism", if you will, but anyone who could possible end up "conquering" Felarya would get nuked by the guardians.
Not interested in seeing colonialism or conquest.

I'm just pointing out the consequences. Government or no government, if Felarya's forests are so impossible to prevail in, people will try to tame it; uniting behind a leader who can coordinate things is a consequence of that. Failing that, they will avoid contact.

Quote :
You're also ignoring so many fundamental parts of Felarya.

Like the soil that makes you immortal. People are selfish. If the possibility of living FOREVER is open to them, they are going to do their darned best to not get killed.
Negav City is built upon Felaryan soil, right? You can still be immortal in Negav.

Quote :
Like the high levels of magic. There's no telling what the enemy might be capable of. It could change day to day. It could have allies you don't know about and couldn't hope to face.
That's another thing; why can't humans develop more powerful magic? Evolution is still at work there. They might not become a Mercreti but still.

Quote :
You can divide this up to every group of people -

Treasure hunters and adventurers - this is the group with the largest amount of people who are unawares of what Felarya actually is like. After one predator encounter, they are going to either flee the plane, or try to get what they came for as quickly as possible and flee the plane. Even those who set out knowing what they are doing - they're focused on the task at hand.
And if a pred gets in their way, one of the two is going to die.
"Someone always has the upper hand - make sure it's you!" - Marcus, "Borderlands"

If an adventurer who has an encounter with a pred is ever going to go out again, they will go out with the best they can get their hands on, with the best combination of speed, power and rapid mobility.

Quote :
Natives - these live in small villages, to avoid attention. They probably don't even know much about how advanced weaponry works. They're not going to deviate from the strategies that kept them alive. Some even befriend predators to ensure their survival.
Why would they even stay out there, when they most likely know that places like Negav offer a better chance of survival? Natives on Earth have problems keeping their kids from leaving for big cities; this would be far worse in Felarya as kids would make an exodus to Negav City.

It doesn't make any sense that anyone would live in a village anywhere in Felarya without a mech division to protect them. Even if you have Jade or even something as powerful as Kiki watching your town, one predator could keep her busy while the other could dine on you. Is this not in fact true? Karbo made a point to explain that villages who build their towns on Hydra Trees can be vulnerable to a second naga attack if one has already attacked and has been devoured. These dangers eventually become realized. People will get tired of losing family members, and if what you say is true, they'll just flee.

Quote :
Expeditions - Delurans, Miritans and such. They're only visitors. They don't have much real stake in Felarya. The Miratans even less - to them, they've got a pretty sweet set up. Why would they go out of their way to cause trouble on a world that isn't even theirs? Delurans are in enough trouble as is.
I didn't say the Miratans were bent on conquest. But still, why are they even scouting? Why are they even there? You have to admit their motives are suspect; we're talking about a civilization that has a food shortage. Would you not suspect the motives of something like that?

Do you think the Delurans would not follow someone who can truly bring them a safe life above ground? I'm just asking what you think they'd say to that.

Quote :
Negavians - These people mostly just try to ignore the jungle if they're not into adventuring. Why would they bother with it? They're safe. There are probably well off, settled Negavians who've never even seen a predator. Maybe if their government was convinced enough it was a good idea - but they don't really have one, as mentioned. The people in charge aren't going to do something that wasteful.
In that case you would have very few humans who even leave Negav, and because of the resources of the Adventurers' Guild, even fewer who actually get eaten.

Quote :
You're basically talking about a sudden, mass political, cultural and philosophical upheaval affecting every smaller species on Felarya.
Not suddenly... slowly, over centuries.

Felaryan predators will eventually have to subsist on the weaker members of the Negavian Adventurers' Guild, or adventurers coming from random dimensional connections who know nothing about Felarya. If you believe that conflict is impossible or that the preds will win, then the other consequence is that everyone else is going to get out of dodge.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
Raveolution wrote:
Under no circumstances would any sentient species ever keep walking out into that kind of place knowing full well they run such an alarmingly high risk of being eaten.

I am a big fan of the idea that the vast majority of the people that are eaten in Felarya are freshly arrived outsiders, partially because it helps solve this problem.
I totally, whole heartedly agree with this.

Quote :
I think also that there should be some sort of semi-stable balance between predators and prey, a weighing of costs. A predator might want to attack a village, but they would have to weigh the gain in food against possible damage they could take: the prey might not have a weapon that can kill them outright, but if they get hit with a dozen arrows each tipped with a cumulative poison, they're not going to be feeling so well, and could very well become prey themselves. They could also lose an eye (or both eyes!), or take other damage that would severely imperil their lives.
A prey village might want to take revenge for their fallen, but they have to balance the risk of catching a relatively healthy pred (if the pred was highly injured they'd probably kill it) vs the benefits of just fading away, or setting traps. In fact, I could see that preparing escape routes around a village with traps before hand could be a useful way of discouraging predation on a village. A pred could "safely" prey on lone individuals (if it could find and catch them), but attempts to attack the village risk not only their defenses, but the village retreating to some unknown location, leaving behind a fake trail that would lead the pred through deadly traps (since the traps are laid before hand they could be really deadly: deadfall traps that use giant logs, for example.)
The thing is they'd start venturing from the village in groups, carrying things like guns with Kensha beast poison bullets. That's even less expensive than buying a Gundam Very Happy and equally as effective.

Quote :
(A thought occurred to me: highly successful predators will not prey overly much on a single village, in order to keep them from moving. In fact, they might even remove some of the other threats to the village. That would be a really strange dynamic, but not unknown in nature.)
Not strange at all - it's all about mutual back scratching. A pred might see the village as a lure for other edible predators.

Quote :
Finally, on the issue "no sane person would live on Felarya", while I agree with you on this, even on Earth there are seemingly sane people who reject even contact with the modern world. For example, some of the natives in the Amazon violent reject any and all contact with the outside world, even though we know they know about the benefits of modern life, even simple things like vaccines and health care. I can't say that I understand their logic, but it is likely that villages remaining on Felarya want to stay there.
Well, the natives in the Amazon can face the predators in their midst with more equal footing. I as a city slicker would rather face a puma with a knife than Crisis with an elephant shotgun. Of course, there are always a smattering of true nutjobs who would try to eke out an existence in Felarya's wilderness; but their odds of survival are very low.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 1:17 pm

Reveolution wrote:
Under no circumstances would any sentient species ever keep walking out into that kind of place knowing full well they run such an alarmingly high risk of being eaten.

I'm glad you agree with me.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 5:19 pm

Just to (again) jump in on one point: On Felarya, it is fuck-all easy to get rich if you leave the world afterwards.

You can compare it to the Counterweight Continent from Discworld, with Felarya being it to the Multiverse. Felarya has fish that catching a single one is akin to setting yourself up for life (provided a noble doesn't just beat the shit out of you, claim an attempted mugging, and have you dragged off to prison once you return to home). There are docile creatures that carry more diamond on their backs / torso than we've dug up in the entire world. This is just including fauna, let alone the magical ruins that dot the land and the possibility of major profit if you could master the secrets of the portals the Ur-Sagolians left behind and take the formula back home.

Seriously, you could have a portal drop you off in Felarya a few feet from a river with a net in it. Checking the net, you find a pair of fish who have scales made out of emeralds mixed with rubies. In your glee, noticing the portal is still open, you rush back and return to your home bearing several pounds of gemstone. Elapsed time: Two minutes. Two minutes, and you're filthy stinking rich.

This is not to say such fortune is immediately going to be there for you, or that all of it will be as easy to procure. Furthermore, because Felarya is flooded with not only treasures, but left over material goods from other places, the values are absurdly expensive to the point that living there for a few months would probably cost you as much gemstones as we go through in our lifetime. "Why are you getting so upset? I'm offering you a good deal for this hotdog for a single pure-ruby token. I'm not even using the poor-quality meat!" Something like that would sound crazy on Earth, but on Felarya that's pretty much how you can expect things to go as money is everywhere. Once you return home, that value of gemstone sky-rockets again. The catch is getting enough to afford a living on Felarya to secure reliable transportation home, and then have enough left over to still be rich upon arrival ("Woo! We're at the portal now! After five years, we can head home! How much treasure do we have left, Jim?" "The swords we're keeping to cement our war-might, our armor that we need to keep to prevent anyone assassinating us... and this one pouch of gold coins, since Jenkins bought a sandwhich at the last stop before here for the last of our emeralds.").
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 7:24 pm

Well-worded and true, Mal.
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 7:53 pm

That's a good point and part of it all. Felarya is filled with lots of people, coming and going, hiding and adventuring, living outside and inside Negav. Each of them are concerned with themselves or their small group. A group of prey species, using teamwork, could feasibly take down a particularly aggressive predator, or a group of them if you're as badass as Quincy.

There's just not a large, stable population anywhere to perform a war like this. More predators would just seek revenge. And by the time you have multiple-predator killing power, you're probably going to get fried by the Guardians as a threat.

Quote :
No, I'm saying it is inevitable that the preds may have to either refrain from sentient prey, or watch their food supply dwindle to near-zero.

Sentient beings are not rabbits: they don't just keep wandering out into the jaws of unbeatable preds in their own natural habitat. They will either fight or GTFO.

No, but sentient beings aren't all omniscient. There are so many offworlders coming into Felarya or leaving that it's hard to get a group that totally knows everything. Plus, Felarya can make you stinking rich. That's enough to tempt anyone.

----

Anyways, addressing this on a purely meta level - why would we want this? Someone pointed out Felarya is not 40K and that pretty much sums it up. This ain't Warhammer (Or Vorehammer or whatever you'd call it Razz). Felarya is a savage world where people not inside Negav, and even some of those who are, are threatened daily and have to struggle to just survive, let alone fight.

You basically are saying "it is inevitable that the preds may have to either refrain from sentient prey, or watch their food supply dwindle to near-zero."

So, Felarya without a major source of danger. Felarya where the prey species are "too much of a hassle" to be considered prey. Well, if it comes down to it, my votes against that Felarya.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 1:44 am

Malahite wrote:
Just to (again) jump in on one point: On Felarya, it is fuck-all easy to get rich if you leave the world afterwards.
That's a good point; if I netted a fish loaded with that much gems and the way back home was right there where I left it, I'd GTFO. Right away. I don't care if I'm walking into Handicapped Care Bear Land: anything more than you can carry is inevitably too greedy. Fatally greedy.

Quote :
This is not to say such fortune is immediately going to be there for you, or that all of it will be as easy to procure. Furthermore, because Felarya is flooded with not only treasures, but left over material goods from other places, the values are absurdly expensive to the point that living there for a few months would probably cost you as much gemstones as we go through in our lifetime. "Why are you getting so upset? I'm offering you a good deal for this hotdog for a single pure-ruby token. I'm not even using the poor-quality meat!"
You mean something akin to inflation/currency exchange effects, kind of, sort of, something like that. The basic Felaryan gemstone becomes a sort of Felaryan dollar-equivalent but it's worth billions of dollars on, say, the US market. At least until (if) 100 more people come back to America with a fist full of Hope Diamond-equivalent gems.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 1:53 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
That's a good point and part of it all. Felarya is filled with lots of people, coming and going, hiding and adventuring, living outside and inside Negav. Each of them are concerned with themselves or their small group. A group of prey species, using teamwork, could feasibly take down a particularly aggressive predator, or a group of them if you're as badass as Quincy.

There's just not a large, stable population anywhere to perform a war like this. More predators would just seek revenge. And by the time you have multiple-predator killing power, you're probably going to get fried by the Guardians as a threat.
Why? Preds have multiple littlepeople-killing power. The Guardians don't interfere with a Predator wiping out a whole town. Why would they step in when the reverse happens?

Quote :
Quote :

No, but sentient beings aren't all omniscient. There are so many offworlders coming into Felarya or leaving that it's hard to get a group that totally knows everything. Plus, Felarya can make you stinking rich. That's enough to tempt anyone.
Preds would depend on newbs who come in from other dimensions. Everyone else except adventurers are likely to avoid them.

Quote :
Anyways, addressing this on a purely meta level - why would we want this? Someone pointed out Felarya is not 40K and that pretty much sums it up. This ain't Warhammer (Or Vorehammer or whatever you'd call it Razz). Felarya is a savage world where people not inside Negav, and even some of those who are, are threatened daily and have to struggle to just survive, let alone fight.
But that cannot logically last forever. What we want and what would happen are not always the same.

Quote :
You basically are saying "it is inevitable that the preds may have to either refrain from sentient prey, or watch their food supply dwindle to near-zero."

So, Felarya without a major source of danger. Felarya where the prey species are "too much of a hassle" to be considered prey. Well, if it comes down to it, my votes against that Felarya.
The only way it's not going to come to that is Negav City gets destroyed; failing that, as OM40K said, the savagery of Felarya can always go on with the interaction of preds and newcomers, but the natives are either going to kick ass or GTFO and that cannot logically be avoided.

You could also have people who sacrifice to preds. I mean, Naxylan Dridders have sentient food that worships them. There's ways around it.

Also, consider the Rifts universe. Giant Predators there face incredibly well armed dangerous humans; Preds die and people get eaten. In fact, from what I've come to understand it's a pretty two-way situation there. On a meta level that's called balance.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:08 am

Why can't it last forever? The native people living in their villages have been doing such for assumably hundreds, if not thousands of years. Those beyond the Negav sphere of influence would see no reason to declare war. The predators also assumably keep a balance on what they eat. Many tribes have found a way to get by and wouldn't want to ruin what they got.

Yes, there may be small individual confrontations. But it can't last to the degree of calling it a prolonged conflict.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 5:28 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Or Vorehammer or whatever you'd call it Razz
Lets not give anyone ideas now.

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Why can't it last forever? The native people living in their villages have been doing such for assumably hundreds, if not thousands of years. Those beyond the Negav sphere of influence would see no reason to declare war. The predators also assumably keep a balance on what they eat. Many tribes have found a way to get by and wouldn't want to ruin what they got.

Yes, there may be small individual confrontations. But it can't last to the degree of calling it a prolonged conflict.
I wouldn't think that village raids would be common, as predators would probably feed mainly off the dozens of unknowing/stupid adventures that flock to Felarya in search of power, fortune and eternal life. Also, "If we eat them all now there won't be any left over to eat later." If predators take out a village, that's a big part of the permanent renewing food supply gone in one go. Especially if said adventurers used that town as a stopover, because then they would find another town either some distance away or stop coming to that area altogether. Not a desirable thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 12:39 pm

Exactly - that's what I meant when I said that predators would keep a balance. The groups that could maybe cause any sort of trouble for predators are probably the ones safest from them, as long as they keep playing smart.

Well, except for Crisis. No one is safe from her.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Jætte_Troll wrote:
Or Vorehammer or whatever you'd call it Razz
Lets not give anyone ideas now.

Jætte_Troll wrote:

I wouldn't think that village raids would be common, as predators would probably feed mainly off the dozens of unknowing/stupid adventures that flock to Felarya in search of power, fortune and eternal life. Also, "If we eat them all now there won't be any left over to eat later." If predators take out a village, that's a big part of the permanent renewing food supply gone in one go. Especially if said adventurers used that town as a stopover, because then they would find another town either some distance away or stop coming to that area altogether. Not a desirable thing.
Then how do you explain what happened to the Broken Hill tribe? And it's not just one pred that's going to hit a village sitting in the forest; there'll be many that come over and over again. Preds aren't going to think, "what if that village is wiped out", they're going to keep coming and eating as long as they see someone there that they can grab.

Adventurers may or may not be common but so are preds, and when a naga needs 5 humans a day to feel good they are likely to run out of adventurers quickly. If there's a village nearby, guess what? And the Broken Hill tribe got hit by multiple preds until Crisis came and devoured the remainder.

If you live in that village are you going to fight/kill the incoming preds if you can, flee, or just sit there in the face of danger and not try to migrate somewhere safe? It just doesn't make sense that any village is going to remain for long in Felarya's wilderness - the younger generation will flee to a safer zone if they can't fight off the threats.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 1:54 pm

For the record....no pred NEEDS 5 humans a day to live. Karbo has said several times before that the majority of a pred's diet is NOT humans or nekos. They eat fruit and other small animals (the Felaryan jungle is booming with animals of all shapes and sizes). Humans are more of a snack, Gregole compared them to twinkies, cookies or snack-cakes. They are a slightly less common, although fairly tastey, food item. They aren't a major dietary staple.

Also, according to the wiki, most preds stick to a specific territory and don't move too far from it (also meaning that with a little recon, its possible to move between predator territories and likely avoid them altogether). Generally, they are going to eat what's around. If there's humans, they'll eat them, if not, they'll find something else. Crisis is an exception due to her upbringing. She's always had humans shrunk down for her, and never had to go through the awkward period most preds go through where they're too big for tinies, and too small to eat humans. Humans are her favorite food, so unlike other preds, she actually WILL move around a lot to find some, and pass up other potential prey in favor of humans.

That's also why she's more of a danger to villages than any other pred, besides harpies. Most preds stick to their territory. If you build your village in a dead-zone between territories, you're probably going to be left alone as long as you make some effort to conceal it. Crisis roams around, so any village within a couple day's slither from the giant tree isn't completely safe, even if they are in an unclaimed area of the jungle.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:23 pm

Once again, I did mention Crisis is an exception. She is a glutton. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 3:30 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Once again, I did mention Crisis is an exception. She is a glutton. Very Happy
But we love her nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:46 pm

rcs619 wrote:
For the record....no pred NEEDS 5 humans a day to live.
I didn't say they need them to live, I said they need them to feel good. Wrong choice of words; I meant "need xx to feel good" as in

Quote :
twinkies, cookies or snack-cakes.
Better way of saying it.

As for Crisis, that's almost reason enough to leave the jungle: she roams, she's immortal, she's not particularly rarely seen, and anything in her path is pretty much fubar'd. I would certainly leave for Negav city knowing she's out there, but then again I'm survival-smart. Very Happy

BTW when a Pred goes after a village and is killed, Jaette Troll said they're just as likely to seek vengeance. Does this not present a likelihood of a relative Pred wanting vengeance on that village?
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 1:15 am

The other problem is that after centuries of gaining such a reputation for being voracious and fantastically (for most) unbeatable, people would start strapping explosives to themselves. We see suicide bombings on Earth for far less. Imagine if a Pred came to a town and ate someone and they went boom. Digestion fail at best, dead pred at worst.

It's easier to slip explosives out of Negav city than big guns, and easier to buy them... and for "last ditch" defenses, quite logical. And since Crisis is one of few preds that can survive a grenade, all you'd need is a steady supply of grenades to make life hell for Preds.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 1:26 am

This is still going on?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:47 am

meh. depends on whether the prey getting eaten thinks it's worth it enough to buy explosives to strap to themselves in a suicide situation. Even though they're gonna die.

That's also saying that said predator doesn't see or take off the explosives, or smack the prey. If they prove too hard to eat, the predator wont even bother, and a smack from a naga tail would kill most anything below 20 ft I would think. Seriously wound anything higher.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:26 am

Wait wait wait, I have a question. Just how do you expect such a global organization to happen? I mean, each village/city/nomad is separated by miles and miles of dangerous jungle terrain. If a village is destroyed, no one would mourn it, because no one would know. And the same goes true for the preds. If such an implausible thing like what you're saying were to happen, how would news spread through the predator's networks when there is no such thing? Some predators have some loose friends, but if a pred dies, who's going to know if she was killed by humans or kensha beasts? Dryads have a network, but that's still limited to line of sight, they aren't omniscient! This whole revenge thing is crippled by the lack of communication of Felarya. Quid pro quo, it couldn't happen.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:42 am

Very true. Regardless of all the tangents from the original statement, the overarching question here is "Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?"

From all the points raised - No.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 12:27 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Very true. Regardless of all the tangents from the original statement, the overarching question here is "Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?"

From all the points raised - No.

Indeed. I do think that, on an individual, case-by-case basis, it could be possible. The human or tiny would just need to be smart, and resourceful, and likely fairly lucky.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 4:38 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
meh. depends on whether the prey getting eaten thinks it's worth it enough to buy explosives to strap to themselves in a suicide situation. Even though they're gonna die.

That's also saying that said predator doesn't see or take off the explosives, or smack the prey. If they prove too hard to eat, the predator wont even bother, and a smack from a naga tail would kill most anything below 20 ft I would think. Seriously wound anything higher.
If you carry grenades on you, or worse, a kensha beast poison based weapon or two, any single prey in the universe could be a walking disaster for a pred. And a tail whack to a human does not mean dinner, it means clean-up on aisle 5. So, Jaette, anyone with a grenade or enough Kensha beast poison could become too much of a hassle for a pred. Unless grenades are banned from Felarya.

Also, dryads can spread news of just about anything that happens nearby them. So yes, the death of a popular pred or the annihilation of a village could get around, depending on who's watching.

Edited to add: no communication? Really? So villages have no radios? Nobody in villages talk regularly with anyone from the outside except by pony express-equivalent? Isolated, in the craziest jungle in the multiverse, with no regular outside communication? I guess even wind-up radios are a bit far ahead of the technological curve in Felarya. Let's not even get into solar, or battery power... come on, really now?
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Alright, people seem to have some varying "ideas" about Felarya's average tech level.

Radios weren't used until around the late 1800's. Most Felaryan villages are, well, not anywhere near that tech level. Most Felaryan Villages don't seem to be depicted past the early Renaissance at best. Now, if you argued magical communication it might be a little harder to argue against (seeing as on Felarya apparently the natives just need to be there and they get an extensive grasp of magic, at least provided said native has a name), but radios aren't going to be the easiest thing to acquire in a place like Felarya.

Furthermore, Grenades - while they have the potential to ruin a Giant Predator's stomach, would need to get lucky and kill them due to internal blood loss before they heal. Felarya doesn't give Wolverine-style regeneration, but it does canonically heal "fatal wounds" in shorter times than lesser wounds would take to heal in the real world. As such, it'd be a matter of them bleeding out before everything gets out of the danger zone - something that the Prey is not going to care about as they just detonated a grenade with a ten meter casualty radius within less than three. If they can even pull the pin on said grenade, deciding to "end it all" immediately and not when it's so late that the acid-damaged flesh on their fingers has them nearly slice the finger off / the pin break, or too weak from oxygen deprivation to pull the pin anyways.

The best way a human would have to deal with a predator is something natural but abundant. If there were some sort of plant that is / was common that induced vomiting in very short amounts of time, that'd probably get them out with only a minor "bath" in acid, most recent stomach contents, and a lot of bile. This doesn't require a massive tech level, or even magical familiarity. Just natives putting two and two together that "When Karl ate a leaf by mistake, he was sick all night. If I carry a full plant, maybe I can get a Predator to spit me up!"
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Malahite wrote:
Alright, people seem to have some varying "ideas" about Felarya's average tech level.

Radios weren't used until around the late 1800's. Most Felaryan villages are, well, not anywhere near that tech level. Most Felaryan Villages don't seem to be depicted past the early Renaissance at best. Now, if you argued magical communication it might be a little harder to argue against (seeing as on Felarya apparently the natives just need to be there and they get an extensive grasp of magic, at least provided said native has a name), but radios aren't going to be the easiest thing to acquire in a place like Felarya.
Ah, so these towns would never have any contact with Negav City, not even through passers by, caravans, convoys, or anything? Or if they do, radio-equivalents would never be brought there by said visitors; or such technology is beyond the tech level of Negav, even its interplanetary once-and-future-empire Vishmital inhabitants? I'm sure some can communicate magically, but what about the nameless people?

Quote :
Furthermore, Grenades - while they have the potential to ruin a Giant Predator's stomach, would need to get lucky and kill them due to internal blood loss before they heal.
Plus the potential leakage of incredibly powerful, bone-dissolving acid. Plus the incredible agony which will cause the pred to howl in pain... informing others (say, insects) of its condition. A second human in the vicinity could finish the job, even if by throwing a grenade at said pred's feet-equivalent while they're distracted.

Quote :
Felarya doesn't give Wolverine-style regeneration, but it does canonically heal "fatal wounds" in shorter times than lesser wounds would take to heal in the real world.
Let's put the astonishingly low likelihood of surviving a grenade exploding in the stomach aside for a moment. I need some help with this Felaryan crossword puzzle I just got, particularly this part: "What is a 4-letter word for a seriously (even if temporarily) wounded P/pred in a Felaryan jungle?"

(P/pred = giant naga or fairy or human or neko, all of whom could prey upon smaller beings)

Quote :
As such, it'd be a matter of them bleeding out before everything gets out of the danger zone - something that the Prey is not going to care about as they just detonated a grenade with a ten meter casualty radius within less than three. If they can even pull the pin on said grenade, deciding to "end it all" immediately and not when it's so late that the acid-damaged flesh on their fingers has them nearly slice the finger off / the pin break, or too weak from oxygen deprivation to pull the pin anyways.
Who would wait until that long after they're in the stomach to pull the pin? I bet quite a few would throw the grenade into the pred's mouth, or pull the pin while they're about to take the slide down. If it goes off in their mouth or throat it's pretty much over. Preds who dangle their prey over their mouths are especially likely to be vulnerable to a grenade or two falling into their yawning throat.

Quote :
The best way a human would have to deal with a predator is something natural but abundant. If there were some sort of plant that is / was common that induced vomiting in very short amounts of time, that'd probably get them out with only a minor "bath" in acid, most recent stomach contents, and a lot of bile. This doesn't require a massive tech level, or even magical familiarity. Just natives putting two and two together that "When Karl ate a leaf by mistake, he was sick all night. If I carry a full plant, maybe I can get a Predator to spit me up!"
Or something that delivers an equal amount of Kensha beast poison (and I did previously mention this) all at once into an exposed area. The top of the mouth or the tongue would work. Or the hand that grasps you. Heck, I'd be selling Gyspas shrinking venom, too. A group of humans could ambush an invading fairy and fire arrows laced with said poison and hope they get in enough hits to bring him/her down enough to stab/behead/etc.

Grenades are far from the only easily reproduced threat: if you can get someone to mass produce synthesized Gyspas venom (poisonous or shrinking) or Kensha beast poison, again, humans/tinies/nekos become more than a mere nuisance... they become deadly prey.

I for one prefer natural renewable remedies. But still, if it works, you still have a major two-sided conflict; potentially you have one P/pred attack, one dead P/pred. Depending on the number of grenades or the potency of said poison.

One thing I must ask is... why don't the lesser villages generate a market for real or synthetic Gyspa/Kensha beast poison?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?   Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would tinies, humans or nekos become too much of a hassle?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next