Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dridder Kiddies

Go down 
+6
/Fish/
pirostyle
AisuKaiko
Archmage_Bael
tkh1304
Anime-Junkie
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Driddler Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 7:18 am

So, how do Driddlers reproduce?
Nagas have eggs, do driddlers, in keeping with their arachnid nature, have egg-sacks?
Or would they have something else?

This question raises some issues, because if they do have egg-sacks then, since a egg-sack can have up to 3,000 eggs. That's 3,000 baby driddlers.
They can't all survive or Felarya would be overrun with driddlers (Giant and otherwise).

Here's an idea:
The larger the driddler, the less eggs in an egg-sack.
So, the tiny driddler species (I can't remember what they're called) would have lots of eggs per sack, since their survival rate would be low due to their small size.
Larger species would have less, inverse to their size. Giant species would have very few per sack, probably less than 10.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
tkh1304
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
tkh1304

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 8:25 am

Or there is just too many of them that the Dridder parents can't watch all of them, and they just simply get eaten by vocarious creatures in Felarya when wandering somewhere XD

Well, I think there is a type of Spider that carries their children on their back (or maybe I mistook it for Scorpion?). It sounds funny to see a mother Dridder carrying a bunch of babies Dridder on her back Xd

Last edited by tkh1304 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://tkh1304.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 8:59 am

can you imagine running into a cute tiny dridder child? keep it safe, and hope to god the kid(or yourself) convinces it's mother that you're not to eat XD
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 11:46 am

In stories I'vw read, I've seen dridders with only one or two kids. Maybe they just lay eggs and keep em safe instead of laying thousands?
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 11:47 am

or maybe people just take the mammal half of all preds, and use that as reproduction method instead. out of laziness, or whatever.
Back to top Go down
pirostyle
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
pirostyle

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 6:18 pm

Well, like the others said, since they only have one or two kids at a time like a normal mammal would, there are at least two things we can assume

-The dridder children are born in egg-sacks, but only one per sac
-Children are born through pregnancy, self fertilization or just because of mating season, and born like mammals would be

It's felarya, it doesn't have to make perfect sence, that takes away all the fun of it, it's better to leave the very small details to imagination, or just say it's magic or how it works.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:00 am

plus, the hybridization of a mammal and an arachnid.

not something explained easily through science, and I'd rather just leave it alone. I think we should focus on more important things in felarya for now Razz
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:43 pm

What's a Driddler?
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 1:37 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
What's a Driddler?

You know, a predator species. Half human, half Dridd.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 5:24 pm

I think his point was that it's "Dridder" not "driddler"
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 2:24 am

/Fish/ wrote:
What's a Driddler?
Fixed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 2:30 am

A Driddler would be a dridder who's exceptionally skilled with the fiddle? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
JohnDoe
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 2:32 am

/Fish/ wrote:
What's a Driddler?

A 2-3 year old (Or their species age equivalent) Dridder.

Toddler+Dridder=Driddler.
Back to top Go down
Asuroth
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Asuroth

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 9:31 am

AisuKaiko wrote:
A Driddler would be a dridder who's exceptionally skilled with the fiddle? Very Happy

I thought it was a Dridder who excelled in riddles! (This is getting off topic, but it's also fun)
Back to top Go down
http://asuroth.deviantart.com/
pirostyle
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
pirostyle

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 7:33 pm

-back on track-

archmage brings up a good point, dridders are part mammal and arachnid

so it's also possible that they could use some kind of combination between web eggs and birth

Maybe get pregnant belly, and then give birth to a web egg, which produces one or two children
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 7:54 pm

If you start viewing it from a purely scientific point of view I think you'll probably wind up disappointed. A great deal of the creatures in Felarya based on actual creatures go the mass reproduction method. Mainly because most of those children will never reach adulthood. In the case of spiders and mantids, they typically devour each other when they're fresh from the egg - especially if food is not otherwise readily abundant. I think we can hold some concept of Darwinian Evolution up here, and just believe that its more likely the giant predators don't have swarms of children the way their smaller, distant, Earth cousins do. I could still believe that they have more than a couple however - after all, something has to be keeping all the other preds fed, and humans/elves/nekos alone aren't going to cut it, even if they are in a near infinite tasty supply due to the environment. We already know that nagas like Jissy will eat other smaller nagas, and there are certainly plenty of others who would do the same. Not to even go into discussing the habits of the Kensha beasts and Hydra trees.

In short - hundreds/thousands no, probably not. Half to a dozen? Maybe as many as 30-40? Absolutely credible. Completely up to the writer, and the reproduction trends of the preds. Most of the 'known' preds tend to follow the human trend of seeking pleasure moreso than racial propagation, anyway. Speaking of Jissy, in her later stories we know she's carrying two eggs, and then there is the grouping of children from Vuni and Tiasha as well from frenchsnack. Which answers at least one author's opinion to the subject.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dridder Kiddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dridder Kiddies   Dridder Kiddies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dridder Kiddies
Page 1 of 1