Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya Mineralogy Thread

Go down 
+31
TryMeIke
Black Aquila
Nyaha
Jasconius
Vaderaz
Sehoolighan
Oldman40k2003
Archmage_Bael
rcs619
Stabs
EliteCreature
JohnDoe
scifidork
/Fish/
Anime-Junkie
Jætte_Troll
nksrocks
Tuc135
Irritus
Asuroth
veeshan123
thegreatanda
Silent_eric
Feign
gwadahunter2222
dreadis
Karbo
Pendragon
Dommo
Malahite
Shady Knight
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:13 pm

TryMeIke wrote:
some crystals and minerals i thought up you may find in felarya.

time crystal: rating; legendary.

a rare, rainbow colored gem found only in the past of akraptor desert, this highly magical crystal empowers all time based effects near it. a clock with a time crystal set within it will always tell the correct time, a time mage will have massive boosts to their magic. it's legendary because WHERE it's found. akraptor desert past, is so hard to get to and come back from. entire teams of miners and mercenaries who have braved and beaten countless perils elsewhere have simply not come back attempting to mine this.

Crystal cave crystals: titan crystal: a clear, flower shaped kind of crystal found in the crystal caves, this magical mineral can be ground to dust and put into a potion to enhance the speed, strength and endurance of the drinker.

size absorber: rare, white crystal, this crystal is used to create potions and amulets of defence against fairy size changing magic. when worn on a necklace or even a small amount is drunk, it becomes next to impossible for size changing effects to work on you. keep in mind, the fairy can just grow and eat you still.
You should change the name. It's used to make amulets of magic absorbsion, but without refinement it's not much on it's own. This gem would alsohave to let off the magic later, so when the amulet absorbed a spell to protect the user, it would slowly leak out the magic. Lastly, if the gem had flaws, I can see it shattering (possibly explosively) when overwhelmed. That makes flawless gems far more valuable.

TryMeIke wrote:
potency crystal: a common enough gem in the crystal caves, this sapphire colored mineral serves as an augment to anything it is nearby, magical spells are stronger, machines work better, anything near it is more potent then others elsewhere. the more of it around, the more potent it makes things. commonly used by alchemists and others to make stronger, more powerful potions and other magical items.
Sure is weaker version of Ascarlin around here.

In general these sound more like specific ]natural "artefacts" than minerals.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
TryMeIke wrote:

time crystal: rating; legendary.

a rare, rainbow colored gem found only in the past of akraptor desert, this highly magical crystal empowers all time based effects near it. a clock with a time crystal set within it will always tell the correct time, a time mage will have massive boosts to their magic. it's legendary because WHERE it's found. akraptor desert past, is so hard to get to and come back from. entire teams of miners and mercenaries who have braved and beaten countless perils elsewhere have simply not come back attempting to mine this.

Crystal cave crystals: titan crystal: a clear, flower shaped kind of crystal found in the crystal caves, this magical mineral can be ground to dust and put into a potion to enhance the speed, strength and endurance of the drinker.

size absorber: rare, white crystal, this crystal is used to create potions and amulets of defence against fairy size changing magic. when worn on a necklace or even a small amount is drunk, it becomes next to impossible for size changing effects to work on you. keep in mind, the fairy can just grow and eat you still.
You should change the name. It's used to make amulets of magic absorbsion, but without refinement it's not much on it's own. This gem would alsohave to let off the magic later, so when the amulet absorbed a spell to protect the user, it would slowly leak out the magic. Lastly, if the gem had flaws, I can see it shattering (possibly explosively) when overwhelmed. That makes flawless gems far more valuable.

TryMeIke wrote:
potency crystal: a common enough gem in the crystal caves, this sapphire colored mineral serves as an augment to anything it is nearby, magical spells are stronger, machines work better, anything near it is more potent then others elsewhere. the more of it around, the more potent it makes things. commonly used by alchemists and others to make stronger, more powerful potions and other magical items.
Sure is weaker version of Ascarlin around here.

In general these sound more like specific ]natural "artefacts" than minerals.

what would you suggest I change the name to? and how many people are going to have access to arsclin? not many. just cuz arsclin does it does not mean it's accessable to many people who want that kind of effect. and sure, I'll edit the others about the flaw stuff.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:24 pm

noytas crystal: rating; legendary.

an incredibly rare, rainbow colored gem found only in the past of akraptor desert, this highly magical crystal empowers all time based effects near it. a clock with a time crystal set within it will always tell the correct time, a time mage will have massive boosts to their magic. it's legendary because WHERE it's found. akraptor desert past, is so hard to get to and come back from. entire teams of miners and mercenaries who have braved and beaten countless perils elsewhere have simply not come back attempting to mine this.

Fey consumer: rare, white crystal, this crystal has no use unrefined, but can be used to create potions and amulets of defence against fairy size changing magic. when worn on a necklace or even a small amount is drunk, it becomes next to impossible for size changing effects to work on you. keep in mind, the fairy can just grow and eat you still. and when subject to enough size changing magic, it may fracture and fail explosively should it not be a flawless work.

sclanta crystal: a common enough gem in the crystal caves named after salin sclanta who discovered it, this sapphire colored mineral serves as an augment to anything it is nearby, magical spells are stronger, machines work better, anything near it is more potent then others elsewhere. the more of it around, the more potent it makes things. commonly used by alchemists and others to make stronger, more powerful potions and other magical items. it is weaker then arsclin, much so, but still produces enough of an effect to be worth collecting. is also much more avalible then arcslin to the public.

Last edited by TryMeIke on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Warrior3000
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Warrior3000

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Anime Junkie was in no way, shape, or form attempting to 'annihilate' your idea and certainly not with the reasoning that you're not famous enough to be tolerated. He was offering legitimate critique in an attempt to help you just as he has been doing and will very likely continue to do for the entire community. He has devoted incredible amounts of time to making efforts at improving the state of community affairs and helping people develop their ideas and your insulting him is both ridiculous and entirely uncalled for. That was in no way necessary.
Back to top Go down
http://w-3-k.deviantart.com/
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Warrior3000 wrote:
Anime Junkie was in no way, shape, or form attempting to 'annihilate' your idea and certainly not with the reasoning that you're not famous enough to be tolerated. He was offering legitimate critique in an attempt to help you just as he has been doing and will very likely continue to do for the entire community. He has devoted incredible amounts of time to making efforts at improving the state of community affairs and helping people develop their ideas and your insulting him is both ridiculous and entirely uncalled for. That was in no way necessary.

well, I've been bashed a lot around here before, so I'm a little sensitve to criticute that does not show much in the form of advice on what to do better. since I always get advice on what I'm doing wrong, but never any on what I can do to improve. it gets tiring cuz so many ideas get pounded when they HAVE merit, cuz people don't say how to improve them.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 6:54 pm

There is a line between outright bashing and not being able to take critics. Bashing is attacking the person directly, while not being able to take critics is think that you are being attacked personally because someone doesn't think your idea works out.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 6:56 pm

edited it. better?
Back to top Go down
Beefnautz
Marauder of the deep jungle
Beefnautz

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 12:52 am

Megavistinium:

An extremely explosive mineral that is very dangerous to handle. It is usually found in large brittle purple chunks and is usually located in dark moist mines where it is harmless. When carrying a small chunk of megavistinium ore, which is about 81 cubic cm, one needs to be very careful, dropping it could set off a spark and cause it to combust with a blast radius of about 3 yds.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 1:43 am

It seems excessive that you created an explosive mineral specifically to power a weapon idea.
In turn, this kind of thing would be near impossible to mine. Indeed, if dropping it can set it off; how has it withstood the pressures of being underground?

You do not need something as elemental as a mineral to achieve a goal. This applies to this entire thread. I find people making specific minerals for items that make far more sense to be made with magic or tech. Explosives can be made with chemistry, alchemy or magic.
Back to top Go down
Beefnautz
Beefnautz

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 1:46 am

hm, well give me some time to edit this then

and also, would you recommend an explosive mineral so that I don't have to use this?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 1:49 am

I recommend a man made explosive. It will be far more efficient, safe and readily available.
Back to top Go down
Beefnautz
Beefnautz

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 1:52 am

Ah okay, thank you
Back to top Go down
BlackAion
Naga food
BlackAion

PostSubject: Gem/Metal Ideas   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 9:51 am

I dont know if this was done before, but:

Liralate (Lye-ra-late)

Common

A common crystal found in the Great Rocky Fields and the Teferis Forest. It has a bright yellow bluish tint to it that varies from place to place. The form of the crystal looks a lot like a stalagmite forming from the ground up. The crystal can usually be found in groups. In large quantities, It is known to attract lightning to it like a metal rod. The crystal also tends to attract Lightning Elementals. Even in small amounts they pull lightning elementals to it although, not as much compared to large amounts. The crystal itself has natural lightning magic that grows every time it is hit with lightning which temporarily spikes the power of the crystal. When this happens, witnesses can watch the incredible spectacle of lightning arcing and crackling all over the crystal. It is highly advised to wear protective non-conductive gloves when handling Liralate as it can cause some medium-degree burns. It is also advised to give it a wide berth when it is hit with lightning. In small quantities, it is used to power vehicles and machinery indefinitely unlike Actinite. But because of the painful shocks the crystal gives, it is not a widely used power source like Actinite and is used mostly in weaponry like swords and guns. It is also used to enhance lightning magic.

Last edited by BlackAion on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:48 pm; edited 14 times in total
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 10:54 am

Hnnn... there's already actinite in the wiki. If you want this to pass to some level, you would have to explain the differences between actinite and this one.

Also, AJ had devised something about metamorphic magical minerals. Maybe you should read it- he called them artefacts for lack of a better word.

https://felarya.forumotion.com/t2326-anime-junke-s-work-in-progress-ideas
Back to top Go down
BlackAion
Naga food
BlackAion

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:16 am

Stabs wrote:
Hnnn... there's already actinite in the wiki. If you want this to pass to some level, you would have to explain the differences between actinite and this one.

Also, AJ had devised something about metamorphic magical minerals. Maybe you should read it- he called them artefacts for lack of a better word.

https://felarya.forumotion.com/t2326-anime-junke-s-work-in-progress-ideas

Unlike Actinite, Liralate conducts it's own electricity, and can power machinery indefinitely. Also unlike Actinite, it is much stronger lightning magic-wise and grows stronger every time it is hit with lightning. It is also much more suited to be embedded in weapons than Actinite.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:48 am

One thing to be careful about, is how potent you make something. Just because it's stronger, doesn't make it more likely to be canonized. If it's too powerful, then you'll have a lower chance of it being accepted...
Back to top Go down
BlackAion
Naga food
BlackAion

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:57 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
One thing to be careful about, is how potent you make something. Just because it's stronger, doesn't make it more likely to be canonized. If it's too powerful, then you'll have a lower chance of it being accepted...

That's true enough, that is why I limited the growth of the magic to lightning strikes. Boralite is almost the same except it doesnt grow, and it causes severe frostbite. Liralate is only fatal when it is hit by lightning, or when it is already powerful to start with and somebody touches it without protective gloves. Most of the powerful ones are located in the Great Rocky fields.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 4:48 pm

Just a bump to say I'm working on a picture ot illustrate mineralogy, with a couple of samples ^^ :
Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Mineralogy
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Ascarlin looks a little different than what I imagined.

I imagined the blue to be more of a weird gradient sort of blue with the veins to be fewer but more stretched out to the ends of the gem. The others I'm not sure what they are. I'm sure I could figure it out if I had the time to check with the wiki.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya Mineralogy Thread
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5