Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya Mineralogy Thread

Go down 
+31
TryMeIke
Black Aquila
Nyaha
Jasconius
Vaderaz
Sehoolighan
Oldman40k2003
Archmage_Bael
rcs619
Stabs
EliteCreature
JohnDoe
scifidork
/Fish/
Anime-Junkie
Jætte_Troll
nksrocks
Tuc135
Irritus
Asuroth
veeshan123
thegreatanda
Silent_eric
Feign
gwadahunter2222
dreadis
Karbo
Pendragon
Dommo
Malahite
Shady Knight
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 7:09 am

Floatstone Ore appears to be similar to Lydronite, except that from your description it appears to be a metal.
An ore is basically a very impure substance.
It would be more correct to title your entry "Electrum," rather than "Electrum Ore." Unless the other minerals in the ore are required to produce the effect associated with Electrum, in which case that would probably be called Electrum anyway.

What I'd like to see is some of these used in a story or something (eg, an area like Lydronite in Shatterrock Caldera).
Otherwise we see a huge build-up of ideas that nobody really goes back and looks through when they need a mineral that does X. They are more likley to come up with their own that does exactly what they need it to do for the story. And that's my point, it is better to come up with a mineral that you need for a story, an area idea or something along those lines than to just see this thread and try to think of some magical mineral for it's own sake. It leads to idea repetition and a pointless thread.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 10:08 pm

i might be able to write a story on it. but i have a queue of stories XD
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 1:13 am

A very interesting idea here ! It makes sense and could lead to some interesting development in explaining how people enginer things in Felarya. Great job Razz
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 2:38 am

I added it Smile I just renamed it "Actinite". As always, do you agree with the disclaimer ? ^_^
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 3:11 am

Karbo wrote:
I added it Smile I just renamed it "Actinite". As always, do you agree with the disclaimer ? ^_^

Woot. Magical batteries ftw. Yep, I agree.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 3:56 am

Rise thread, and, by the unholy powers of the Necropost, become one of creatures of the night: an undead thread.

rcs619 wrote:
Aquifer Ore: Generates moisture when magical energy is applied.
Things to keep in mind: conservation of mass and conservation of energy. If you make sure that the conservation laws are followed then you limit the "abusability" of the material. Does it generate moisture by directly converting magical energy into water (would probably be really energy intensive)? Summoning it from somewhere else (vulnerable to anti-magic fields, depletion of the water source)? Pulling it out of the air (limited quantity; in some deserts they wouldn't work at all)?
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
scifidork
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
scifidork

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 10:11 pm

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
rcs619 wrote:
Aquifer Ore: Generates moisture when magical energy is applied.
Things to keep in mind: conservation of mass and conservation of energy. If you make sure that the conservation laws are followed then you limit the "abusability" of the material. Does it generate moisture by directly converting magical energy into water (would probably be really energy intensive)? Summoning it from somewhere else (vulnerable to anti-magic fields, depletion of the water source)? Pulling it out of the air (limited quantity; in some deserts they wouldn't work at all)?
Yes to all, depending on the spell/kind of magic used.

Using moisture from the air when there isn't surface water
Pro: Cheap
Con: produces low amount of water

Water from a source(nearest liquid water?) if there isn't enough moisture in the air
Pro: Produces a lot of water
Con: costs more depending on distance and what is in between you and the water

Converting magic to water if there is no water anywhere near you
Pro: It can be done
Con: Very high cost, least water produced, you're probably lost and beyond reach in the driest desert ever if you have to do this.
Back to top Go down
http://scifidork.deviantart.com/
Sehoolighan
Survivor
Survivor
Sehoolighan

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Aperium

Abundunce: Rare

This rare brittle opalescent mineral is one of the most sought after by scientists and explorers alike. If any non-refined Aperium were to come into contact with a large amount of energy it creates a unstable dimensional pocket in which not only the law of physics are temporarily out of whack but it also switches small patches of land with an alternate dimension. Scientists believe that Miragia Forest is over the largest vein of Aperium in the multiverse,(not to mention the only Aperium vein in the multiverse) which explain why it's so dimensionally unstable in the first place. If ever refined the energy field it would produce could be used in long distance teleportation or to the more crazed physicists, fully controlable two-way portals of various sizes (they debate this since no one has ever gone back to civilization to fully refine the unstable ore... that and it's energy field makes it easy for predators to hone in on.)

Last edited by Sehoolighan on Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong location for dimensional unstablility)
Back to top Go down
http://sehoolighan.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 5:47 am

Sehoolighan wrote:
Aperium

Abundunce: Rare

This rare brittle opalescent mineral is one of the most sought after by scientists and explorers alike. If any non-refined Aperium were to come into contact with a large amount of energy it creates a unstable dimensional pocket in which not only the law of physics are temporarily out of whack but it also switches small patches of land with an alternate dimension. Scientists believe that Bulvon wood is over the largest vein of Aperium in the multiverse,(not to mention the only Aperium vein in the multiverse) which explain why it's so dimensionally unstable in the first place. If ever refined the energy field it would produce could be used in long distance teleportation or to the more crazed physicists, fully controlable two-way portals of various sizes (they debate this since no one has ever gone back to civilization to fully refine the unstable ore... that and it's energy field makes it easy for predators to hone in on.)
Um... the Bulvon Wood is pretty stable. It's Miragia Forest which is unstable beyond repair.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Sehoolighan
Survivor
Survivor
Sehoolighan

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 10:40 am

My bad. Names got mixed up in my head.
Back to top Go down
http://sehoolighan.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 1:24 pm

Muraganite Crystal

Muraganite Crystal is a type of rock that has the tendency to absorb excess or residual magic substance or spells. Over time the rocks get increasingly more dense, and resemble large ornate crystals.

Muraganite is commonly found in areas such as Chordoni, The Lake of Souls, the Misty Glade. Reports of seeing these crystals in caves or near Electron Ore are rather uncommon, but have been noted. The shinier the crystal, the more magic has been absorbed.

Likewise, these crystal are worth money, but nowhere close to ascarlin. The exception to their value being that they are worth a lot to mages. They can be used to concentrate and refine spells, as well as absorb them, given the proper modification. Applications to magi-tech with these have also been noted.
Back to top Go down
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Wow, this topic is really interesting ^^
Really helpfull if you want to think about what kind of material you would want to have Smile

So well , I will try to add my ideas too ^^

---

Gem: Mazhir (damn names ><)

Common/semi-precious (but hard to extract)

A precious gem that can be found almost everywhere in Felarya, but very deep in the soil, and mainly near mountanious areas.
This gem, has the property to naturally absorb magic from the environment. The amount of magic that the gem will absorb depend mostly of tha amount of magic around, and will work the same way as "osmose" would do. The color of this gem varies from white (when empty), to dark blue (when full). Very apreciated by mages, and mainly by magical creatures, those gems serves as great magic bateries. While for a normal person this gem would be completely worthless, a mage who has a good control of magic will be able to directly extract the magic inside the gem in order to increase his power, or to use it in case of emergency.
The gem is very stable in nature; the transfer of magic from the gem to the outside and vise-verse being really slow. Quick transfers from the inside to outside are posible, but a quick transfer of magic from the outisde to the inside of the gem (like trying to block a direct spell) will simply not work ( a bit like a glass of water, it's easy to blow out the water , but it's harder to fill it the same way without overthrowing)
After being used, the gem will simply start reloading itself with the magic in the environment, but won't tend absorb it directly from another living being unless the gem is completely empty or volontarely .
*Update: There is not direct effect from the kind of the magic it absorbes, due to it's tendency to only absorbe it's pure essense. The magic reliesed from the gem is completely neutral, before being converted into an elemental magic by the owner. Those gems are so also know as "purificators", and will eventually be used in order to cure effects from dark magic in a person or in an area.*

Hope I did my description detailed enough

I had the idea from quite a while ago, and seems that the Muraganite Crystal have similar properties, but not exactly the same.

(PS: First post in months, so hello again everybody, I will try to stay more active around here ^^)
Back to top Go down
http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 4:13 pm

two great ideas here ! Smile
it's well desbcribed and there is definitely many things to do with that. great job ^_^
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 10:58 pm

how do you think it could be improved?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 1:23 am

I had the idea of mixing the two descriptions, if both of you agree ? ^^
Back to top Go down
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:20 am

It's ok for me Smile but now (if Archmage-Bael agrees), we may have to think for another name, don't we?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 8:24 pm

sure. I don't mind.

Muraganite
Muzhir
Blatirac
Ilosythis
Ganitrizia

those are just some names I came up with off the top of my head. Or we can just decide which name we want, Muraganite, or Muzhir. =3
Back to top Go down
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 7:32 am

Well, I guess we can stay with the "Muraganite gem" Wink
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 5:05 pm

alright then, I'll make the merge ^_^
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Karbo wrote:
alright then, I'll make the merge ^_^
I'll bring a Scarlet Elf to do the Fusion Dance if you don't mind. :p
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Victulate Crystal

Victulate crystals are a type of rock that are distinguished by their organic properties. Resembling polished quartz, when they are exposed to total darkness they appear to become filled with sparkling stars. They are typically found in deep underground caverns, the crystals spread and grow over all available surfaces, including living ones should splinters of them penetrate their skin. Should the latter occur, they will steadily transform organic tissues into more victulate crystals.

Thankfully, however, their growth is completely halted should the crystals come in contact with water, and in fact are weakened by it. They also crumble to dust when exposed to sunlight, which appears to "kill" it. This makes it hard to sell these semiprecious crystals, though some have found a way.

By submerging the crystals for several days, they appear to "die" and thus become completely harmless and unharmd by sunlight. They can then be sold for an average sum. Harvesting these crystals is considered rather dangerous as they tend to grow very far away from their two weaknesses, though finding them is rather simple - areas where they grow tend to be marked by dozens of "statues".

There are some rumors of small patches being seen in Evernight forest, though they have not been confirmed.

Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 2:39 am

Ok I added them ^_^
and the victulate one too.

if you 3 are ok with the disclaimer Smile
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 5:32 am

I'm okay with it.
Back to top Go down
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 1:55 pm

hehe, glad you liked the idea ^^
The two description seem to fit well Smile ( just readed the description , and I saw you forgot a letter in a word on the description by the way " unless in contact with them for al long time. " )

Also I prefer to be refered as vaderaz (from my DA account) more than Atlas ( the name of my character ^^)
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Aether Crystal

Rarity: Common (Felarya) Very Rare (Almost everywhere else)

Aether Crystals are a rare crystal found in the Felaryan ground. It's extremely common in this Felarya, but is very rare outside this dimension. Usually found underground as fragments or tiny shards, Aether Crystals radiate a bright glow and emmit a ton of energy. Patches of Aether Crystals usually are usually viewed as a sign of fortune, they are however rare above ground. Aether can be used as a power source for almost anything. It is highly coveted by both scientists and worlds with advanced technology for its usage as fuel or power. However, a strange phenomenon has been observed: Aether Crystals lose power when away from the radiation of other crystals. This has caused people to speculate if these crystals are the cause of the effects of the soil in Felarya. Aether mining is a dangerous business because of the risk of awaking subterranean predators.

Sorry for the clunky the description.

Last edited by Sean Okotami on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Mineralogy Thread   Felarya Mineralogy Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya Mineralogy Thread
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next