Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+65
Stabs
Rezec
macdaddy
Lobo
Pim18
asaenvolk
X
space_samurai
PrinnyDood
zersergathant
Black Aquila
Sehoolighan
Black Hole Fragment
Solomon
M19Kamikaze
Tuc135
GREGOLE
Vaderaz
Darkstorm Zero
buddha66667
French snack
Zillachary
thejackle123
Warrior3000
Krisexy26
walkingbyself
luke112
ginbug
Prof.Nekko
Malahite
Malhavoc Shade
Shadeofheave
CauldronBorn24
moonlight-pendent13
JonathanS223
Cowrie
kaitheguy1234
EdgedWeapon
Pendragon
ravaging vixen
gwadahunter2222
Jætte_Troll
Kai Leingod
Salvyrn
timing2
aethernavale
Oldman40k2003
dragonjaj
sparkythechu
MrNobody13
AisuKaiko
Slimetoad
Grave
Archmage_Bael
itsmeyouidiot
codaman
Feadraug
TheLightLost
rcs619
ZionAtriedes
DaNoob13
Shady Knight
Karbo
Anime-Junkie
Jasconius
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

General Q and A - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Speaking of Internet, my advanced race, the Eddenians, actually uses small relays buried in the ground which then connects to other relays, creating a literal cyber net, as an alternative to satellite GPS. The major, and obvious downside, is that they are restricted to zones they have already explored.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 3:59 pm

@aethernavale: I prefer use the term internet than intranet because intranet is more internal to a specific organization, internet is a newtork of network not a global network. As I see the infrastructure are internal to negav, the maintenance of the line can be overcome by wireless connections many cities used wireless access spot than classical lines when they deal with public connections the maintenance is easier and cheaper than lines, the price too because you don't invest for lines. The traditonnal lines system suited better for specific location like administrations, headquartes where the connections need to be more direct and regulates. Wireless = large audience, lines = private or intyernal structures.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 5:55 pm

Wow, this got out of hand. Can we calm the place down please?
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 9:42 am

Where exactly do Nemesises live in Felarya? They don't seem like a race you would find in places such as Negav (unless they keep their race secret and aren't affected by the Eye)?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 2:40 am

Actually yes they can be found in Negav mostly. But they are rare.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
MrNobody13
Great warrior
Great warrior
MrNobody13

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 5:55 am

Question. Does the accelerated evolution in the Miragia forest and other areas effect individuals over time or is the effect gradual over generations?

ie: If a naga showed up there one day, could he/she slowly gain adaptations, or would the evolution have to be gradual along whole family lines, tribes, ect. that live there?
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 11:21 am

I believe that it would have to be over generations, given how you can't just suddenly sprout useful traits. Evolution probably has a greater noticeable affect within one or two generations, producing unique descendants.

Whether or not the effects are similar to the evolution seen in the movie "Evolution" or the movie "Aberration" is unknown to me.

Now here is a question. Seeing as Quaz can gather every form of Felaryian insect to his aid in an instant, would this include insect-based taurs as well?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 11:43 am

Jasconius wrote:
I believe that it would have to be over generations, given how you can't just suddenly sprout useful traits. Evolution probably has a greater noticeable affect within one or two generations, producing unique descendants.

Whether or not the effects are similar to the evolution seen in the movie "Evolution" or the movie "Aberration" is unknown to me.

Now here is a question. Seeing as Quaz can gather every form of Felaryian insect to his aid in an instant, would this include insect-based taurs as well?
Addendum: Do worms, slugs, snails, scorpions, spiders and such count as insects to Quaz?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Jasconius wrote:

Addendum: Do worms, slugs, snails, scorpions, spiders and such count as insects to Quaz?
Knowing Quaz is a scorpion.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 12:39 pm

This has been bugging me...

Do Dryads inhale CO2 and exhale O2?
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 1:58 pm

That is a really good question Aisu.
As far as I know nobody has bothered working it out.
Since they're plants maybe they do.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 2:27 pm

Hmm - but their upper body is like that of a humans.

Would they have human style lungs? Could those be capable of inhaling CO2?

Come to think of it... do dryads even have any human organs? Or at they all vegetable matter?
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Well they do have a monster of an esophagus and a stomach obviously. I think in Drayla's picture of her swallowing a camper, one of Karbo's caption in the author's comments mentioned fertilizer. So maybe eating things like a human is how they get nutrients the same way plants get it from fertilizer? We do know they hate fire from the outside, but what if a Dryad swallowed a mage and said mage then casted a fireball, would she burn as quickly from the inside than on the outside?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 3:41 pm

The mage would just die as the fireball used what little oxygen there was in the dryad's stomach.

I doubt that the dryad would even feel that much. Stomachs are very tough, they have to contain the acid. There is a mucus layer in between the stomach lining and the acid that prevents the acid doing damage to the stomach walls. I think it would also stop a brief fireball.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 2:39 am

I think the human part does breathing regularly, while her leaves perform photosynthesis.

Theoretically, she COULD keep herself alive in an airtight spot due to her breathing oxygen and her leaves breathing CO2
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 3:48 am

Quote :

I think the human part does breathing regularly, while her leaves perform photosynthesis.
But that makes no sense. Why not have the leaves route their produced oxygen directly to the human part?

And to answer JT's question, yes the lungs can, since they can exhale CO2 it's obvious that they are capable of doing the reverse.

I think that if you view a dryad as a human torse on a tree trunk it doesn't work. that's what they look like but it can't be what they are.
The cells of the humanoid part would probably appear to be somewhere between animal cells and plant cells. The plant part's heartwood cellswould probably be similar to the humanoid part, but the outer bark would be much more plantlike.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 5:22 am

Pendragon wrote:

That's how I see it as well ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 9:38 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Would they have human style lungs? Could those be capable of inhaling CO2?
Well I know much less about biology than I do about physics, but ignorance hasn't stopped me yet! Very Happy

Human lungs work on the principle of partial pressures (the difference between partial pressure and regular pressure is that a partial pressure is the measurement of pressure due to a particular gas in a mixed gas environment); gasses naturally flow from high partial pressure areas to low partial pressure areas. In humans, the partial pressure of deoxygenated blood is less than that of the partial pressure of oxygen in air, so oxygen flows from the air into our blood. The reverse is true for carbon dioxide, so it flows from our blood to the air. If your blood somehow has less carbon dioxide than the surrounding air, then the carbon dioxide will from from the air into your blood. (If I remember correctly, this can lead to counter-intuitive situations, like someone choking to death in a room with more than enough oxygen to sustain them, simply because there is too much carbon dioxide.)

So if the dryad had some other means of taking carbon dioxide out of its bloodstream (like photosynthesis), then the partial pressures would favor carbon dioxide flowing from the air into its' blood. As for the oxygen flow direction, that I am not so sure about. Plants actually need some oxygen in order for their cells to function, but they produce more oxygen from photosynthesis than they use. They tend to dump their excess oxygen out of the pores in their leaves, but if instead it all went into some sort of blood, then the dryad would probably end up breathing out oxygen... except at night, when it wouldn't be producing any oxygen, and would then be exhaling carbon dioxide.

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Quote :

But that makes no sense. Why not have the leaves route their produced oxygen directly to the human part?
Well, that would require some sort of transport mechanism, like blood. I suppose I don't really see a reason why a dryad's blood couldn't flow up to her leaves as well as to the rest of her body.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 10:31 am

Oldman, you posted after Karbo who just said that their lungs breathe like humans and their leaves do all the photosythesis.

I saw the mention of dust scattering from a fairy's wings as she flew a few times. Would that be a rare trait or would that be semi-common for fairies to scatter fairy dust?
Back to top Go down
EdgedWeapon
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
EdgedWeapon

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 12:00 pm

On the subject of dryads, breathing in CO2 and brerathing out O2 could be very helpful for their friends if they ever found themselves in need of mouth to mouth...

Also, @ Sean, if you've ever watched Disney's Peter Pan you'd know that fairies mostly drop fairy dust when they're spanked. Yet another interesting possibility...

Now I have given you my two cents, I'm off to take a cold shower.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 12:10 pm

Felaryan fairies are not Disney fairies. I would say they are the anti-thesis of Disney fairies.
Back to top Go down
EdgedWeapon
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
EdgedWeapon

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 2:43 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Felaryan fairies are not Disney fairies. I would say they are the anti-thesis of Disney fairies.

True. But it would still be funny.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 4:33 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Oldman, you posted after Karbo who just said that their lungs breathe like humans and their leaves do all the photosythesis.

No, Karbo agreed with a statement that you then inferred to say was like that of a human. And based on the material of your's and other's posts, I would then assume that you are incorrectly deriving gas exchange concentrations that humans make based on oversimplification of what you know.

One should point out that humans only use 6~8% of that oxygen concentration they are breathing, and exhale a mixture containing 3~6% more CO2 then that of the air they were breathing and ~15% oxygen content. If humans did not exhale some oxygen, there wouldn't be much point to assisted breathing - before someone goes there, I'll cover it as well. While immediate CPR training is moving away from the use of such, it is primarily for hygiene concerns and studies showing that heart massage alone is enough to keep someone alive until advance trained personnel can assist; once medical personal arrive they'll be using breathing apparatus that provide a barrier. The point to be made though is that the assumption of O2 in, CO2 out is a overly simplified view of what is actually occurring. You can make about five air changes with the same air before the oxygen concentrations become too low to be exchanged properly in your lungs - something that has been proven on submarines again and again and again. (In fact, they often manipulate O2 concentrations in hull to effect crew morale and operation)

Oldman presents a valid and interesting point about how lungs work. Given that dryads will be using a form of photosynthesis in combination with what we can infer to be typical-human style lungs, then the gas concentrations they inhale/exhale will change throughout the day based on exposure to light. The idea that O2 in CO2 out persisting is really just lack of informed persons. I would imagine that generally speaking, given their size, a dryad probably either breaks even or produces somewhat more CO2 than O2 over a given timespan with varying light absorption. In comparison to the concentrations used/lost by a human of relatively the same size, I would think the dryad able to produce a considerable quantity better/efficient exchange, especially given their general immobile state. This is due to the volume of their lungs compared to the surface area of their leaves and the process of chemical exchange occurring within the leaves.

In conclusion, I'd say that if dryads are attributing to the O2 generation, it would be akin comparatively to someone with wind/solar power at their home selling back to the electric company. Not a great deal, but something.

Sean Okotami wrote:
I saw the mention of dust scattering from a fairy's wings as she flew a few times. Would that be a rare trait or would that be semi-common for fairies to scatter fairy dust?

I believe this can be mostly attributed to butterflies/moths. Since most fairy wings are insectlike in nature, it follows that they would share some of their Earth counterpart's features. Of course, a lot of people think that all insects have dust on their wings, but only the butterfly/moth family makes it intentionally and it isn't dust at all, actually it's chitin scale. Other insects that accumulate dust on their wings do so due to the environment they inhabit.

Given the above information, I would say then that it depends on the type of fairy wing - someone like my character Kaede (with dragonfly wings) would probably never shed 'fairy dust', whereas someone like Aya (butterfly wing) would probably have this occur routinely with any excess scale.
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 3:40 pm

I question the body structure of some insect like predators/prey. From some pictures, I've seen sentient Sapien like species to tend to have more or less traits closer to a typical human. Like the Mantoid (or that I think it was) picture I seen month ago. showing the girl had human legs,arms,and body, but insect arm appendages from a mantis The seem to grow from her back. Ultimately I'm trying to figure out if that's a common case or are they two different sub-species of the regular?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 9 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next