Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

IRC suggestions.

Go down 
+4
Pendragon
asaenvolk
Anime-Junkie
Davis
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Davis
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Davis

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Ok, trying this again.
To those of you who don't know, there's a Felarya IRC channel on DALnet simply called #Felarya . IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, meaning it's a chatroom. Joining it is probably easiest with chatzilla for those who are new to this whole thing. I personally know nothing about that thing, I think it's an addon for Firefox, anyway...
Overtime I've been trying to improve the experience there through rules and more moderators, but I know a lot of people here that know of it only do in an ill light. So I figured I'd ask the forum what it thought should be done to help make the channel more enjoyable. The current rules are here.

Lastly, please don't blame other users, I really shouldn't have to say this. This is a thread for positive suggestions, not for insulting each other.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
http://iakos.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 11:39 pm

The IRC existed when there was no chatbox. Now there is a chatbox that can be accessed easily by just signing into the forum. People can see who's in the chatbox by just signing into the forum, they don't have to sign into a separate thing. People can only use their forum username there, so there are no problems with impersonation.
IPs on the forum can be seen by forum moderators, but the forum moderators aren't moderators on the IRC, . In any case, IPs on the IRC are not public, even to moderators (as far as I know), so impersonation can easily happen.
Getting into the forum chatbox is easy, one click and you're there. Whereas the IRC chat requires a sign in that doesn't always work and takes more time.

I'd say the IRC is completely superfluous now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
asaenvolk

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:36 am

I used to go to it all the time, I dono, I just haven't been all in that much of an RP mood I guess, I get enough in RL and just don't do that much any more online I guess.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 3:21 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
The IRC existed when there was no chatbox. Now there is a chatbox that can be accessed easily by just signing into the forum. People can see who's in the chatbox by just signing into the forum, they don't have to sign into a separate thing. People can only use their forum username there, so there are no problems with impersonation.
IPs on the forum can be seen by forum moderators, but the forum moderators aren't moderators on the IRC, . In any case, IPs on the IRC are not public, even to moderators (as far as I know), so impersonation can easily happen.
Getting into the forum chatbox is easy, one click and you're there. Whereas the IRC chat requires a sign in that doesn't always work and takes more time.

That's just one man's opinion bro. There's always room for multiple chat rooms devoted to Felarya, and I witness alot of traffic come in on a semi-daily basis.

I hope you arent one of those guys who thinks people on the IRC are complete retards. :/
Back to top Go down
Salvyrn
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Salvyrn

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 11:07 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:

The only real problem with your argument is that it was stated, and mostly well known, that both role playing and pseudo role playing aren't meant to be performed on the forum's chatbox, so even if it can seem more convenient for conventional use, many people who prefer role playing won't be able to do much. I only visited the IRC once or twice, but didn't really stick around for long. It just didn't fully click for me, but I think I know of some ways to make it appealing for others, if even possible.

1. There should be multiple 'rooms' or private messaging, so that not all discussion would appear on the same page. It could get really cluttered and confusing.

2. A log system, if available. Something to help you find out where you left off without having to guess, and a way to review previous role plays or discussions.

3. Hopefully a better means of accessing it. I find the chatzilla thing tends to be rather tedious.

Other than that, I can't think of much. I don't even know if those options are available or not, but that's just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
http://salvyrn.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 12:42 pm

I agree with Salvyrn. The chatbox on the forum doesn't allow roleplaying that much, and it gets annoying too, as there are log in-log out issues, as well as the fact that frequently it jumps back and forth when people post an image on it.

Though errors on the chatbox aside, the IRC is really handy since RPing via instant messages instead of on the forum is a lot easier and quicker.

If you want to make a separate room for talking to people, either type in #[desiredroomname] and that will allow for another room to be created, also by clicking on the person's name you can pm them directly in the chat.

As for logs, as far as I know most chat rooms don't have that perk, only Eka's vore chatrooms have that (which is handy) but that's a separately programmed website, and that kind of thing is difficult to implement for various reasons.

There is another website, you can go to felarya.greatnuke.com/irc to RP, but the colors on the box are black and white. The chatzilla thing is just a couple clicks away anyway (and colored!), and it only takes you a couple seconds to get on.

We COULD however have a direct link here on the forum, since I believe that the IRC needs more attention, and is a part of the felarya community. I believe there should be links/lists of the other areas of the felarya community available here on the forum: The Vent channel, the wiki, the IRC. We need some place that tells everyone all the other places they can go to without having to try to figure it all out on their own.

Back to top Go down
Davis
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Davis

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 pm

I don't know about Chatzilla, but most IRC programs have a logging option. I have logs of every second I've been on.
Back to top Go down
http://iakos.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 9:10 pm

There are many clients for IRC, such as mibbit, icechat, mIRC, XChat, and Chatzilla are good examples of this. Downloading an IRC client is not a problem, we all download things all the time when we're on computers.
Back to top Go down
Noonstar
Helpless prey
Noonstar

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:56 pm

IRC always holds a special place in my heart, because it's what led me into fansubbing, which is a story for another time.

However, IRC holds many advantages over the chat-box, most notably the fact that you aren't disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity. There are plenty of webIRC clients that can be integrated into sites nowadays... the question is, would it be worth it to Felarya to invest in the idea of using one?

By the way, the impersonation issues can be solved by using password-protected handles, though I'm not sure if DALnet offers that. I know Rizon does though! ^^
Back to top Go down
M.Bison.
Tasty morsel
M.Bison.

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 9:36 pm

IRC suggestions. YESSSSYESSSSSSSS
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 11:22 pm

Noonstar wrote:
IRC always holds a special place in my heart, because it's what led me into fansubbing, which is a story for another time.

However, IRC holds many advantages over the chat-box, most notably the fact that you aren't disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity. There are plenty of webIRC clients that can be integrated into sites nowadays... the question is, would it be worth it to Felarya to invest in the idea of using one?

By the way, the impersonation issues can be solved by using password-protected handles, though I'm not sure if DALnet offers that. I know Rizon does though! ^^

By integrated, you mean change the chatbox into a visible IRC channel on the forum itself?

Yeah, my handle on DALnet is registered after a little incident a few months back. You type in /nickserv register <desired password> <email>

You can type in /identify <password> to authenticate your name when you log in. That's very important if you're an operator/moderator on the channel.
Back to top Go down
Noonstar
Helpless prey
Noonstar

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 5:42 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Noonstar wrote:

By integrated, you mean change the chatbox into a visible IRC channel on the forum itself?

Yeah, my handle on DALnet is registered after a little incident a few months back. You type in /nickserv register <desired password> <email>

You can type in /identify <password> to authenticate your name when you log in. That's very important if you're an operator/moderator on the channel.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. That's how it's done on Rizon too. I knew there were a few older IRC networks still around that were barebones but I guess there's nothing to worry about there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

IRC suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: IRC suggestions.   IRC suggestions. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IRC suggestions.
Page 1 of 1