Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It

Go down 
+14
Stabs
ZionAtriedes
Grave
Anime-Junkie
Feadraug
Pendragon
Krisexy26
AisuKaiko
rcs619
Slimetoad
Jætte_Troll
Karbo
Shady Knight
Archmage_Bael
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 9:55 am

Slimetoad wrote:
If anything what the wiki should have is that on the very first page there should be just the obligatory "welcome" stuff, and then have different links to lead you to basic information of the world, localizations, characters, etc..

What there is right now kinda follows on that, but then inmediately after starts giving you a lot of information. There's a good chance newcomers won't even bother to check that wall of text when it's shoved to their faces
This is quite true. The main page itself has a load of information, and while information is exactly what the wiki is for, such a daunting first page may scare people off.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 2:46 pm

It might be best to check out other wiki/wikia sites to get ideas. It's nice to be creative, but if you're not being understandable then it prevents people from wanting to go through the wiki.

I really like the command and conquer wikia because it's colorful, and I like the starwars wikia because they have easy navigation.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Most other wikis and wikias are more organized. Usually with an "Article of the week", categories such as "weapons" or "stuff" being on display near the top. Stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Yeah, then again, we're not exactly a professional organization. Well, Karbo makes money off the manga's, but it's not like we can afford to pay people to maintain a website. We gotta work with what we've got, but we've gotta do it WELL.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 3:28 pm

we can also hack the whole thing <3
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 8:26 pm

C'mon, lets not let this thread die here.
Back to top Go down
sparkythechu
Survivor
Survivor
sparkythechu

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 7:14 am

About the wiki: I actually like lots of stuuf to read, because, pardon the pun, I devour them. I can read over 100 pages of a book in a single day, so I enjoy having stuff to read. I doubt too many people share this, but you could put in a few pictures to go with the text. It would break it up and help show people what it looks like.

About new people: I know some websites send some info with the activation email, so maybe we could send them a link to the wiki, a link to the rules, and a like to the gidelines with it. That way they can't say they didn't know about it. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BoltAscendent
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 7:49 am

Doesn't AJ do that with every new person already? i mean it blunty tells them were to go and stuff.
Back to top Go down
buddha66667
Great warrior
Great warrior
buddha66667

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 8:12 am

Yep he does I still remember the one that he sent me.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 8:23 am

Although from what I noticed, not a lot of newcomers actually follow his advice.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 10:34 am

I joined after AJ, but he never did that to me as I can recall. Figured everything out myself XD. Still, we don't want to have to manually do it with every person - that's why we suggested linking them with "newsletter" I guess you could call it. I should go back and find what everyone's suggested thus far.

Now that things are dying down a lot, we can't just ignore the problem. We still have to work just as hard to try and fix the root of the problem the schism created in the first place otherwise it will just pop back up again. It's way too easy to be lazy on the internet.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 10:56 am

Whatever is done, don't do it in secret and then just spring it on everyone at the last second.

That's how this whole mess started in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 2:23 pm

i totally agree with pendragon Razz
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 5:42 pm

This whole mess was festering beneath the surface long before the "letter" even started.

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I joined after AJ, but he never did that to me as I can recall. Figured everything out myself XD. Still, we don't want to have to manually do it with every person
Yeah, I believe I started sending them shortly after you joined. I distinctly recall sending peptic pineapple a welcome message on the 17/5/2009
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:16 pm

It would probably be helpful to everyone for those who have proposed changes to the way the wiki is laid out to "mock out" their proposed layout, by either using an image or some sort of HTML editor to create a HTML file.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:54 pm

Good idea oldman.
I think soemthing that will ahve to be done is move most of the information from the front page to its own page. The front page needs to be as concise as possible, with links to the information rather than the information itself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 7:20 am

I'm not that good with HTML, so I'm afraid I couldn't show a snapshot of how it could be done... However, I can throw some suggestions... Actually, one suggestion:

The part from "The World of Felarya" to "Miscellaneous" in the main page could be put in another article, serving as an introduction to Felarya. It could be listed along with the rest of the General content, placing it in the first place.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 9:57 am

That sounds interesting enough.

should there be a general table of contents on that same page, or is there already one floating about on the wiki?
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 10:11 am

Well, the main page has a general content index:

Quote :
General content:

* Felaryan fauna

* Felaryan carnivorous plants

* Felaryan plant life

* Category: Races

* Category: Characters

* Category: Locations

But after that, there's the whole "Introduction to Felarya" part that, in my opinion, should be in a different article, but of course, in the general content index and, now that I think of it, should be very clear, so people can access the introduction to the setting easily without saturating the main page.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 12:52 pm

As long as they connect to eachother in some way, I can see it working.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Mhh there is some great points here.
I can maybe imagine a quick introduction on the front page and then various links directing the reader to different sections.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 3:32 pm

You might even be able to break the menu down more, like lets say things pertaining to "civilization" and "nature" in civilization you can various things relating to it as such (like currency and rumors.), and in nature you can put physics, locations, and fauna.

You could also have a fun area in it with other misc info, call it "The Inn" or something where you have quotes and what not of all that other stuff.

Characters can be totally separate. That might make things a bit simpler, but this is off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It   Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solving This Mess - Brainstorm Ways to Fix It
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3